Topic: Chandley retex/remodel...updated!!!!  (Read 9493 times)

DestinyCalling

Re: Chandley retex/remodel
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2004, 01:09:37 pm »
Ok, here we go with a mesh I'm happy with... It's built from scratch and is accurate as far as part of the Chandley "blueprints" go... As you will see, it's a great improvement over my previous effort.... I still need to do the pylons and throw some real textures on it but here it is with Khalibans saucer dropped in (ie impulse engine not adjusted and still carrying "1701-A" registry)

Enjoy...

Dizzy

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2004, 01:19:42 pm »
It looks good. You want feedback or something? I have a cpl nit picky things...

Kaenyne

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2004, 01:21:51 pm »
Looking very good there, sir!

And she is a vast improvement over the last incarnation.

DestinyCalling

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2004, 01:55:34 pm »
ok... pick nits... there's no guarantee I'll listen...  

besides which, this is the first one I've actually made....  

Dizzy

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2004, 02:40:17 pm »
Ok, the nit picks...

The blue mesh... lets call that the engineering section. I dont see how the aft section merges with the impulse engines in a way that works or looks good. Clear up that area where they meet so the impulse engines stand out more/clearer.

The cut outs you have in the R/L Pods (Bulky curved hull structures on either side of the hull) for the shuttlebay and the docking port are superb. But on the front of the pods, you have one torpedo tube per side. It looks whimpy. Increase the torp bays per side to two tubes each. We can always say since the photon bays are split, compared to a Connie, that one tube is used for only one torpedo, unlike the connie which uses 2x tubes for all 4... It would greatly improve the look. I have seen poor ass attempts at making a torp bay. And for a heavy weapon like the photon, nothing less than spectacular will do. Make em stand out. The recessed area you have sets them apart from the pod hull, and thats great. Now enlarge it and add another right next to it on @ side.

oNE LAST THING ABOUT THE pHOTON TUBES.. oops caps. it looks like they are on the saucer plane. If so, the saucer will block the shot. can the tubes be moved outward and down farther perhaps? Hell, don't be afraid to stray a bit from canon... That is after all a FASA model... If need be for the photon tubes, add a reliant class weapons pod roll bar underneath the engineering section attacked to the underside of the 2x pods. An upside down reliant weapons pod would look dan cool.

Underneath, to complete the look of the saucer and the engineering section... I'd blend the blue painted area on the bottom of the saucer into a raised mesh superstructure that rises up to meet the underside of the front engineering section.

In other words, stick on the connie neck pylon to the aft secondary hull, and chop off whatever sticks below the aft Blue mesh engineering section. That would look really pretty...

So far, this is the best looking mesh I have seen. Wtg.  

DestinyCalling

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2004, 03:24:32 pm »
Quote:

Ok, the nit picks...

The blue mesh... lets call that the engineering section. I dont see how the aft section merges with the impulse engines in a way that works or looks good. Clear up that area where they meet so the impulse engines stand out more/clearer.

The cut outs you have in the R/L Pods (Bulky curved hull structures on either side of the hull) for the shuttlebay and the docking port are superb. But on the front of the pods, you have one torpedo tube per side. It looks whimpy. Increase the torp bays per side to two tubes each. We can always say since the photon bays are split, compared to a Connie, that one tube is used for only one torpedo, unlike the connie which uses 2x tubes for all 4... It would greatly improve the look. I have seen poor ass attempts at making a torp bay. And for a heavy weapon like the photon, nothing less than spectacular will do. Make em stand out. The recessed area you have sets them apart from the pod hull, and thats great. Now enlarge it and add another right next to it on @ side.

oNE LAST THING ABOUT THE pHOTON TUBES.. oops caps. it looks like they are on the saucer plane. If so, the saucer will block the shot. can the tubes be moved outward and down farther perhaps? Hell, don't be afraid to stray a bit from canon... That is after all a FASA model... If need be for the photon tubes, add a reliant class weapons pod roll bar underneath the engineering section attacked to the underside of the 2x pods. An upside down reliant weapons pod would look dan cool.

Underneath, to complete the look of the saucer and the engineering section... I'd blend the blue painted area on the bottom of the saucer into a raised mesh superstructure that rises up to meet the underside of the front engineering section.

In other words, stick on the connie neck pylon to the aft secondary hull, and chop off whatever sticks below the aft Blue mesh engineering section. That would look really pretty...

Okay.... First off, the saucer has been "dropped in" as I haven't used the saucer I did use for the first WIP posts (see page one and you'll see that the impulse deck is much further aft.... )

Now second... The recessed areas along the leading edge of the auxilliary hull are in fact standard docking collars (hence the fact that they're round) I haven't added the photorp launchers yet. If you look closer there are two more on the rear of the aux hull.... As for weapons pods, no no no... This may be a FASA design but I'm not planning on kitting it out with extra launchers as they're not required. It'll be fitted out as per FASA spec so that means 2 forward and 2 aftward mounted within the hull... The rear launchers are going underneath the impulse deck and the forward launchers will be split into 2 single launchers around where the nacelle support pylons will end up being (when I get round to doing them)

Ok your final point about the underside of the aux hull. This is one of those areas that simply doesn't look right if you interpret the FASA 3-view literally.  The previous model (Pataflafla/P81) would appear to have a "reactor" of some sorts underneath and I will be keeping this feature (a la Miranda). Aside from that I have attempted to make this whole area more "interesting" and add a little detail....

With all that said, I consider this ..
Quote:

to be the best compliment I have yet received... As I have said numerous times, this is the first modelling project i have attempted and I am more than grateful.....

Dizzy

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2004, 03:58:37 pm »
Well, you are off to a splendid start.

As far as those front pod mounted 'docking collars' that I thgought were photon hardpoints... They are deceiving.   hehe.

If I understand you correctly, they are docking collars... they suck.  You dont need docking collars on the front. Just the back. Beside, thats too cramped an area with it recessed and all. I dont like it. Just a nit pick. On the plus side, having something there does break up a large piece of flat mesh...

You mentioned the photon tubes being mounted under the impulse... Good place, just dont make em look whimpy. Go for a strong look like the Connie at least. I have seen some that are added as an after thought rather than looking like they belong there and as a result... they suck. With your model looking so 'right' so far, I expect them to 'look' like they belong. Your model is spoiling me... I expect to see soemthing other than a simple texture stuck to the back of a flat mesh... hehe.

You also mentioned the other FA tubes being mounted singularly on the warp pylon or above it? I think that will be an interesting look. Gotta stand out tho. We need to be able to see the photon tubes from a distance. Caution with the Pylons. The Chandley is a beast of a ship to look at. Its like a bully compared to other fed ships. But sometimes when you add the pylons and warp engines, it breaks the look. Makes em sissy looking. Fragile. Whimpy. Make it good, DestinyCalling!

So far i like... The Chandley, or those that have been done, I think I have 2x versions of the Northhampton as well, are almost beens. Er rather they were almost there enough in textures and mesh for me to put them in the game and use em as models. Almost been good enough. Yours looks good enough. So far.

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2004, 04:17:37 pm »
Looking good DestinyCalling!

Stay your course with what you are doing.

This will be my favorite Chandley if these WIP are any indication of the quality of the work you are putting into this.

Qapla!

KF

DestinyCalling

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2004, 08:46:15 pm »
Ok, last thing before I retire for the day.... The mesh is 99.9% there, just a couple of tweaks around where the pylons connect to the aux hull... Then a lick'o'paint and we're off......

Enjoy!!!  

Dizzy

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2004, 02:06:07 am »
Quote:

Ok, last thing before I retire for the day.... The mesh is 99.9% there, just a couple of tweaks around where the pylons connect to the aux hull... Then a lick'o'paint and we're off......

Enjoy!!!  

You know...

Stick a Klingon style Boom section on that puppy and lets see what it looks like...

I'd have never thought of the Chandley that way, but seeing her with the saucer off... makes me wonder...

DestinyCalling

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2004, 09:54:08 pm »
No Klingon booms yet but the aux hull mesh is now complete so I shall begin on the textures, which are likely to take me a while.  Like all FASA designs the Chandley's plans were hoplessly inadequate.  Clearly, very little thought was put into HOW it actually fits together.. Anyway more on that later...

Two more WIPs of the completed mesh and bits....

Enjoy!!  

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2004, 10:42:41 pm »
Quote:

No Klingon booms yet but the aux hull mesh is now complete so I shall begin on the textures, which are likely to take me a while.  Like all FASA designs the Chandley's plans were hoplessly inadequate.  Clearly, very little thought was put into HOW it actually fits together.. Anyway more on that later...

Two more WIPs of the completed mesh and bits....

Enjoy!!  

The Klingon side of me feels that it is going to be a damn shame to destroy one of these beautiful ships of yours in combat.

One comment, I'm not sure if I like the protruding forward facing topredo launchers sticking out that far.  My primary concern is that they are REALLY obstructing the docking collars in the front. I, myself, prefer them more flush with the hull a la the aft torpedo launcher.

However, this is clearly a VAST improvement over the original FASA design and I will gladly use it in whatever final stage you leave it at. The detailing is incredible, well done!

Thank you for sharing this with us.

KF
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 10:56:54 pm by Klingon Fanatic »

Chrystoff

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2004, 10:44:50 pm »
My God, that's a good looking ship! Just keep doing what you are doing. The FASA Chandley plans are inadequate, which of course allows you all kinds of room to do whatever the heck you want to do. Who's to say what is suppoed to go where? Keep going, it looks terrific!    

Dizzy

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2004, 11:57:29 pm »
I agree with KF. The forward facing torps look whimpy. If you could make em like they belonged there instead of it looking like they were glued on haphazardly...

The rest of the model is absolutely breath taking. Again, the best looking mesh I have so far seen... Perhaps thats a bit too high a praise? It might be the sweeping good looks and curvature of the Chandley that grabs me. Possibly the blue and purple colors... I dunno.

But its looking damn sweet. Glad you figured out how it's 'pieced' together. It didnt come with instructions, did it?

Fix those ugly forward torps!  

DestinyCalling

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2004, 07:51:26 am »
Ok a quick mockup of a possible moving of photorps... I sort of wanted them here anyway. These are a little rushed but you get the idea.....

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2004, 11:24:59 am »
Now that is an interesting idea for the location of the forward torps!

I really like them embedded in the hull wherever they end up.

Its going to take me awhile to get used to the idea of a protruding forward torpedo tube though if you are going to keep them that way...

KF
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 11:29:42 am by Klingon Fanatic »

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2004, 12:15:30 pm »
Lookin real good  

Dizzy

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2004, 12:25:19 pm »
That's interesting. I like the idea, but it still doesn't go....

I'd like to see it go there. Thats a cool idea, but I think you need to add a bit of superstructure to that part of the hull... to make it look like you didnt just stick that launcher on.

Kinda like making a slight bulge in it or something...

Right now, its too close to the warp pylon.

It sll looks good... but that torp looks to be troublesome. Doesnt it?

DestinyCalling

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2004, 01:28:04 pm »
Ok this is the final word on where they are going. On the "standard" Chandley I've stuck them under the primary hull (see pic). They have a clear line of fire and oddly enough are back where they were originally. Future variants (Blackhawk, Blackheart and Monsoon) may have a different arrangment but for now they stay there. Oh, and I've ironed out a couple of creases on the underside of the hull which I'd previously missed.

Maybe now I should start the textures....

« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 01:38:48 pm by DestinyCalling »

Dizzy

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2004, 02:28:36 pm »
Quote:

Ok this is the final word on where they are going. On the "standard" Chandley I've stuck them under the primary hull (see pic). They have a clear line of fire and oddly enough are back where they were originally. Future variants (Blackhawk, Blackheart and Monsoon) may have a different arrangment but for now they stay there. Oh, and I've ironed out a couple of creases on the underside of the hull which I'd previously missed.

Maybe now I should start the textures....

WOW! You did it. Thats perfect placement! I like. And the torps don't look whimpy either. I wouldnt change them to different locations on the variants. They should all go right there...

They look like they belong. Suggestion: On the mesh R/L 'pods', see if you can put a black ring around the torps to help make them look like they were made to be there or something.

Destiny... Superb job!...

Good luck with the textures, bro. Thats tough. I don't think anyone could have asked for a better mesh. wtg.

Oh, and what warp engines you plan to use? The shorter Reliant class or the larger Connie class? Or something new?

I cant WAIT to get this one. Man, that just rocks. And sorry bout me being so critical of the torps. But thats a HUGE part of this ship. You can't have its primary heavy hitting weapon look sissy you know.

Hey, you gonna add a couple of Drone Launchers? Mesh or texture wise? I have a ship here I did you can use to steal textures from if you want.  F-Cad