Topic: CD key problems  (Read 4015 times)

Shabadu

CD key problems
« on: February 11, 2004, 01:03:11 pm »
Does anyone have any idea what's happening here? I've been playing SFCIII today and after the last crash (I'm playing on a 56k line, so obviously, I've spent about one hour out of the last four actually playing anything) I keep getting a message when trying to connect to servers, saying that CD key check failed or somesuch, basically that my CD key is currently in use... eh?

Any help is much appreciated, I do actually like this game, but I don't understand how the multiplayer code is so weak that people on a 56k basically need not apply.

P.S. and yes, I am using a legitimate copy of the game, just in case that's what you were thinking
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 01:30:52 pm by Shabadu »

Shabadu

Re: CD key problems
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 05:04:53 pm »
Hrm, so I think it has something to do with the server crashing, or losing my connection to the server or something, because I got back on earlier, and the guys in there said something about 'so the refresh worked then' or something similar, then went into a battle so I didn't get to ask them about it (either that or they were ignoring me *shrugs*)

but yeah, so is there anything I can do other than sit around and wait for someone to do maintenance on their sodding server so I can play again? Considering that generally means a wait of many hours, I'd prefer it if there was something could be done, especially since it's happened again.

feargusf

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 05:37:02 pm »
As far as I know, that is about all that you can do. If you get a CD Key In Use, it means that you won't be able to play on that server, and perhaps any other (?) until the server that is holding your key gets a reboot. There's very little in the way of explanation for the lock-ups. Many say that if you're on the server when it reboots, you will likely be locked. I've been incredibly lucky (knocks on virtual wood) with that on GAW, which has been rebooted while I was in a mission several times and has yet to lock up my CD key. (Throws virtual salt over virtual shoulder.)  

Shabadu

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 05:49:18 pm »
Yeah, I can't get onto any servers at all.

This sucks, I mean the server is still running as far as I can see, the number of people on it goes up and down occassionally when I refresh, so  I'm basically locked out.

This game is basically only really worth it for the multiplayer, the single-player (story) campaigns were good, but other than that it's fairly boring, the only enjoyment comes out of practising with different ship layouts. The ai is too weak to offer any real strategic play or anything like that.

Pity they couldn't get the multiplayer code right, frankly I can't see why it's so bad, I mean you have  a session that can have no more than six players right? I've experienced less lag on a game of Operation Flashpoint, with about 10-15 players, on my 56k line, how does that work out?

Oh well, I should stop moaning I guess  

edit: Don't get me wrong, I think the game is actually pretty good and fair do's to the game's makers, it's just the multiplayer that I personally think lets the game down, since it pretty much cuts out any worth-while gaming for anyone on a 56k line.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 06:03:22 pm by Shabadu »

Shabadu

CD key problems
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 01:03:11 pm »
Does anyone have any idea what's happening here? I've been playing SFCIII today and after the last crash (I'm playing on a 56k line, so obviously, I've spent about one hour out of the last four actually playing anything) I keep getting a message when trying to connect to servers, saying that CD key check failed or somesuch, basically that my CD key is currently in use... eh?

Any help is much appreciated, I do actually like this game, but I don't understand how the multiplayer code is so weak that people on a 56k basically need not apply.

P.S. and yes, I am using a legitimate copy of the game, just in case that's what you were thinking
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 01:30:52 pm by Shabadu »

Shabadu

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 05:04:53 pm »
Hrm, so I think it has something to do with the server crashing, or losing my connection to the server or something, because I got back on earlier, and the guys in there said something about 'so the refresh worked then' or something similar, then went into a battle so I didn't get to ask them about it (either that or they were ignoring me *shrugs*)

but yeah, so is there anything I can do other than sit around and wait for someone to do maintenance on their sodding server so I can play again? Considering that generally means a wait of many hours, I'd prefer it if there was something could be done, especially since it's happened again.

feargusf

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 05:37:02 pm »
As far as I know, that is about all that you can do. If you get a CD Key In Use, it means that you won't be able to play on that server, and perhaps any other (?) until the server that is holding your key gets a reboot. There's very little in the way of explanation for the lock-ups. Many say that if you're on the server when it reboots, you will likely be locked. I've been incredibly lucky (knocks on virtual wood) with that on GAW, which has been rebooted while I was in a mission several times and has yet to lock up my CD key. (Throws virtual salt over virtual shoulder.)  

Shabadu

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 05:49:18 pm »
Yeah, I can't get onto any servers at all.

This sucks, I mean the server is still running as far as I can see, the number of people on it goes up and down occassionally when I refresh, so  I'm basically locked out.

This game is basically only really worth it for the multiplayer, the single-player (story) campaigns were good, but other than that it's fairly boring, the only enjoyment comes out of practising with different ship layouts. The ai is too weak to offer any real strategic play or anything like that.

Pity they couldn't get the multiplayer code right, frankly I can't see why it's so bad, I mean you have  a session that can have no more than six players right? I've experienced less lag on a game of Operation Flashpoint, with about 10-15 players, on my 56k line, how does that work out?

Oh well, I should stop moaning I guess  

edit: Don't get me wrong, I think the game is actually pretty good and fair do's to the game's makers, it's just the multiplayer that I personally think lets the game down, since it pretty much cuts out any worth-while gaming for anyone on a 56k line.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 06:03:22 pm by Shabadu »