Topic: Mr Ferrett  (Read 17989 times)

Bossman

Re: Mr Ferrett
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2003, 11:27:22 pm »
Kai Lee speaks the truth, the poor chap got banned before like this.    

3dot14

Re: Mr Ferrell
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2003, 12:40:54 am »
Quote:

This point can be (and has been argued), but I believe Taldren's products are of below average quality.

I don't presume to know what "average" means in the context.

But to Taldren's credit. They are persistent. and They DID fix their games.

Many of your bang on the initial holes. (which I agree are present) How many of you commented on the after-sale support that Taldren put up with? The Dyn2? EAW patches?

They are not the speediest in the bunch. But they do get the job done.

I think we can all agree that had SFC2 been released in the 2036 state, everyone would be a lot happier. Well it didn't. which sucks. But considering that we have finally gotten 2036. That's still better than nothing!

As for OP refund. If you didn't do your homework (if it's in the bargain bin, then it has been out for a while, it's not like being sucked into pre-ordering...) before finally purchasing...
Well you can always try EB's trade-in program.

BTW  you don't know what has or hasn't to dowith PC configs. (for example, I have never experienced this stardate-stop bug in my _admitted_limited_ single player campaign.) Anything and everything is related to PC configs. Unless you know the code, or it's an universal problem that inflicts everyone(not some, not few, but everyone) , the PC config cannot be discounted so easily.
Also, don't presume to know what the beta testers knew or did not know. the Publisher works in mysterious ways.

Lastly, I for one am glad that Tladren made SFC2 (bug or no bug,) Just seeing the game come into being is merit enough for the wait. But that again, I love SFC2. and many don't.

EE

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2003, 01:16:51 am »
I have had only 3 exception errors ( with the code showing after it failed to do something ).

Every other problem I have had was hardware related, a vast majority of the 'bugs' I have come across I fixed with new drivers or unchecking a option in my video drivers that was causing a problem.

Except for the cloak bug and the repair the cloak bug, this game has been the best release to date by Taldren, at least for me. It far more playable then anything I had previous.

If you would update to the DirectX 9, that would fix a ton of problem, I know it has for me, I saw major improvments. I updated my drivers again and again, a majority of the problems went away. In fact, I can now play the game with full graphics and it doesnt chug along like a beached whale.

I think that a majority of the 'bugs' are with customers config's. I wont say all but a majority. This game has a ton of potential with this patch, I cant wait **HINT HINT**

Jackal99

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2003, 03:43:39 am »
to 3dot14

the stadate-stop bug only happens in single player conquest. After loading a saved conquest game the stardate is "stuck".

The "exploding ship bug" can be observed best in conquest  or d3.  

Jackal99

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2003, 03:52:28 am »
oh, to EE

these 2 bugs i used as example ARE NOT depending on pc configs... be serious

Btw, as far as i remember you are a beta tester for the patch, right? so the best thing you could tell me is that these 2 ANNOYING bugs are deffinetly getting fixed in the final patch.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Jackal99 »

EE

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2003, 04:00:18 am »
Quote:

oh, to EE

these 2 bugs i used as example ARE NOT depending on pc configs... be serious  

I have not experinced either of those bugs. I dont recall ever having a ship explode for no reason. I have not played the single player game so I have not had time stop on me. I find the AI is too easy.

Jackal99

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2003, 04:22:46 am »
agreed, the ai is far to easy..  

but this can be handled via mod.

1. changing the crew for the ai ships in the "defaultloadout" file all to legendary
2.  refitting their ships with better equiptment
3. increasing the "startingaivalue" in the ai.gf file
4. producing more ships for the ai

and a few other changes makes the ai a lot more challenging in conquest.

and no, not these modification are responsible for the 2 bugs i mentioned.. you can read many, many posts/replies in the old forum where people are reporting these 2 as well..

Btw, as far as i remember you are a beta tester for the patch, right? so the best thing you could tell me is that these 2 ANNOYING bugs are deffinetly getting fixed in the final patch.
It would be very nice if you could simply test this. Just a matter of a minute. start a conquest game, wait one turn, then save. Quit to main menue and load it again. if the stardate is advancing with your patch/beta patch game then i´m very pleased so far.

EE

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2003, 04:29:52 am »
I am not a beta tester for the patch, I just play one on line

I have heard that tose bugs are fixed in the patch.

As for giving the AI a legendary crew, still.. easy to defeat. The AI offers no challange in the way of intelligence. Thats why I dont bother with AI. In fact, when I play, the time I dread is working up a crew to at least level 4 so I can go out and PvP. I have never found the AI fun to fight in any game and thats why I only play multiplayer games.  

Jackal99

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2003, 05:14:29 am »
from EE  "I have heard that tose bugs are fixed in the patch."

well, that gives me some hope..

concerning the ai challenge.
i´m playing fps and other strategie games / simulations online, but star trek is something special. I ever wanted to fight the great fleet battles you saw in the movies from DS9 and in first contact against the borg... but sadly it is not possible in this game (no complain). I totally agree with you saying that the ai never gives you the experience of a good battle, but neither do humans using ALT-F4, tractoring you into a planet/asteroid and pushing you over the sector zone, at least the ai is dieing honestly when defeated  

he, but seriously, i used to play d3 online and i can handle these "human mulfunctions" (guess 7of9 would say that now) but it doesn´t satisfy me as well. Therefore I try to mod my game to the point where the ai "will be" a real (or at lest a good) challenge.
Regarding the great fleet battles, i hope that taldren will increase the number of ships possible in battle, or at least makes it possible to mod.  

EE

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2003, 11:10:01 am »
If you want good battles, dont play on Activision B or C. Go for GFL:Public, the new Asim ( if its up ) or paravis redux ( run by the same guys as asim ). Those servers have some great players, honorable players and they give great battle

Oh, almost forgot to add in Triangle as well.

3dot14

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2003, 05:26:02 pm »
Quote:

... but neither do humans using ALT-F4, tractoring you into a planet/asteroid ...

If you get pushed into a solid object, you deserve it.

I agree with that alt-f4 and map border tricks are low. But the rock tricks should be legit. I find it disturbing that no one ever makes bad mistakes in battle, and everyone suffers from oppenet's cheese. (but that's another thread)

Back to topic:
I fully understand that the bugs ARE present for some people. but not 100% of the people (not me, and apparently EE).
So I would submit that the bug (at least stardate-stop) is not entirely unrelated to PC configs.

SLoweCSL

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2003, 05:57:07 pm »
If any of you have access to the PC magazine "CPU" they have a good article on page 14. It lays out the diffrences between the X-Box and a PC regarding the hardware necessary to display the same game. You'll find it interesting.

matyoung

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2003, 07:10:41 pm »
Yes it is wrong but we are not talking about sony here we,re talking about taldren a very small company and as software companys go they live on a knife edge for instance here in the u.k the mighty rage who made some brill games (anyone played hostile waters very cool) in their time has just been dismantled and the guys are splitting up to go work for other software firms which is very sad they made classic games (mags said hostile waters was one of the next gen games for the millenium and it got reviews of 90% and over but it just not sell well enough unlike that piece of crap the sims )...  

Son of Technobabble

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2003, 07:20:28 pm »
Ah, the omnipresent bug complaints... Now, do you really think that posting how unplayable this game is on the devs' forum will encourage them to speed up the release of the patch? Please...

Possibly, Taldren games are over the average in buginess, but i fail to see the point in whining about the same problems over and over again. If you continue to annoy (no offense intended) the devs, then you will simply be ignored.
If you happen to run into a bug, report it, and let them fix it. They will (or at least they did with SFC2). If they don't, then don't buy their next game.

I don't think it's ok that a late beta is sold like a finished product, but the fact is, it has been done. So what. Life isn't fair. After all, if they got your money and you are disappointed by the quality of the product, all you can do is... not to buy the expansion (and come here to complain).
They could seat back and enjoy, because they know that there is a trek fan legion that will buy whatever they throw at them. Instead of that, they read these boards and (supposedly) try to fix the game.

My point after all this crap is that whining is a waste of your time (Hmm... I'm replying so i guess it's a waste of mine too  ) and it doesn't really produce anything valuable. This is a proven fact.

BTW I am NOT a fan of Taldren, I just realized that liking SFC3 is much better than hating it.
And I have run into several bugs in both SFC2 and SFC3...  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Son of Technobabble »

Belchfire

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2003, 09:31:23 pm »
How did this game get released? GREED

The executives at Activision consulted with their bean counters.

Conclusion: Nemesis is being released to theatres at the end of 2002, we want the game "out the door" by then.

Reasoning: Shove a theatre admission in the box, purport a patch to fix all the troubles(100+ at last count) and we
can take the money and run. Hopefully our client base will just piss and moan on the forum sites until we can get
the final version working. This should placate them for the time being.

Result: Star Trek genre gamers feel taken advantage of and generally distrustful of the publisher and designer.

Future: Reduced sales on upcoming releases due to customer loyalty being compromised.

Activision executives fire bean counters to re-coup the losses.

Belch  

moosefoof

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2003, 10:08:34 am »
I made this post because I was annoyed at the quality of the game at its release.

I'm not trying to speed up the release of the patch, far from it. I'm saying the game should not have been so flawed.

I'm positive the patch would have been out by now if Taldren didn?t have so many problems to fix in the first place.

As far as the small company issue goes...well...its tough [censored] basically. If Taldren wants to be a big player then they will have to just bring up their game (what a pun! ).
Sorry guys, this is the big league now.

Harold Nez

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2003, 02:43:37 pm »
You know, there is a rising tide of hostility in politics and society in general.  It's a damn shame some people think the only way to get things done or solve problems is to yell louder than the next guy.  I understand the frustration.  I believe you ought to be able to state your opinion.  But, come on, purely negative posts amount to nothing.  These problems/bugs, you have any idea how to solve them?  Get that negative stuff out of the way and make positive suggestions that we all can think about and respond to in turn.  Peace.  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2003, 05:08:23 pm »
Quote:

Kai Lee speaks the truth, the poor chap got banned before like this.    

And still am, AFAIK. Moving to the new board seems to have caused a problem; my normal banned account cannot be logged into, but for reasons I don't understand I was able to make a new one with no trouble.

It can be very difficult to be unbanned, so I remind everyone even when you tell the truth, make sure to do so politely at all times, lest someone get annoyed:

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame79.html

Whiplash

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2003, 08:11:03 pm »
I disagree completely that you can do so much more with a PC.

PC games are so popular because of one reason only. PCs are the largest market-share by far. PCs are kept the largest market partly because there are so many games for it.

PCs became so popular in the first place because of historical reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with the capabilities of modern machines. IBM chose Bill Gates' DOS system. The IBM PC was a great success and it snowballed from there.

There are operating systems that are far more stable and easy to use, and just as capable (or moreso).

Its not that I have anything against PCs. I have 4 of them, and 1 Mac. Just don't make the mistake of thinking "most popular" is equivalent to "best". Its not.

W.

Vysander

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2003, 08:16:26 pm »
Look at games both sold and produced for consoles vs pc's... far more for consoles.  I'll see if I can find the numbers around here.

http://www.geek.com/newsbeta2/geeknews/2002Sep/bga20020925016489.htm

Especially in sports games, PC lines are being dumped for console only  (I think it was EA which dropped some sports lines.. i'll see if I can dig out that PC gamer article)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2003, 08:18:43 pm by Vysander »