Topic: New computer assembly with old hard drives  (Read 15889 times)

E_Look

New computer assembly with old hard drives
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2004, 02:23:13 pm »
Knowledgeable Ladies and Gentlemen of Taldrenland,

I am building a computer for my kid, but I want to use the old hard drives from his old system.  There are two, an old WD 15 Gb HD, and a newer Maxtor 40 Gb HD.

I'm not sure if I'm going to use both or just the 40 Gb one.

Is there anything I should know about using an old one instead of new one or should I just bite the bullet and get a new one (as I do understand how to do that!)?

Khalee

Re: New computer assembly with old hard drives
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2004, 02:26:07 pm »
If it still works properly and is compatable with the system then no, should not be aby problems, Im useing a old one on my new computer I got last year and it's working just fine.

E_Look

« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2004, 04:56:37 pm »
Thanks, but are there any installation issues with WinXP and an old hard drive with stuff on it I don't want to erase?

Sethan

« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2004, 05:02:10 pm »
Quote:

Thanks, but are there any installation issues with WinXP and an old hard drive with stuff on it I don't want to erase?  

Depends on how you install XP.

I'd be inclined to copy anything you want to keep to the other drive (and then disconnect it), before installing XP - but I'm a little paranoid with stuff like that.  Better safe than sorry.

E_Look

« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2004, 07:45:10 pm »
Quote:

... Depends on how you install XP.

What do you mean by that??  I've only done it once (install XP) and don't really remember the particulars of it.

Javora

« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2004, 05:11:19 am »
Quote:

Quote:

... Depends on how you install XP.

What do you mean by that??  I've only done it once (install XP) and don't really remember the particulars of it.  

While I don't want to put any words in Sethan's mouth.  I think he is talking about issues like how you plan to partition the hard drive before installing WinXP.  Just a reminder, you cannot remove a hard drive from one computer that has WinXP installed and connect the hard drive to another computer.  The system will not boot up completely, as WinXP will look for a system that is no longer there.

Like Sethan said I would copy everything that you want to save on that hard drive.  Install the hard drive into the new system.  Then zero out the hard drive to remove any information that is on that drive.  Then let WinXP CD reformat the hard drive and install WinXP on to the new system.  Remember WinXP will ask during the install if you want to partition the hard drive before you actually install WinXP.  Once WinXP is installed it is just a matter of installing drivers and programs.

If you need software to remove data or 'zero out' your hard drive you can usually find the program at your hard drive maker?s web site.  Only use the program that is created by your hard drive maker.  I already had the Maxtor and the Western Digital sites book marked.  Hope this helps.

Barabbas

« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2004, 04:03:51 pm »

The 15Gb and 40Gb drives aren't all that old, and if you've had no problems with them, just plug 'em into the new system and start the install from the XP CD.  

Check the label on each drive and make sure you have them set properly.  You new system probably has two HDD controllers, a primary and a secondary.  Each controller can support a master and a slave drive.  Your 40 should be the master, since it's probably faster and so you'd want that to be the WinXP system drive.  Make that one a Master.  The 15Gb drive could then be a Slave on the primary channel, or a Master on the secondary.  Then your CD drive would either be Master or Slave on the Secondary, depending on what you choose for the 15Gb drive.

Does any of that make sense?

E_Look

« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2004, 08:25:17 pm »
Everyone, thanks for your answers so far.

Javora, the two drives actually are still in a system running Win 98.  Can I just plug them in then, or do I still have to copy their data and then zero out before installing?

And Barabbas, that makes total sense... and I was considering the reverse, putting the OS and some executables on the 15 Gb and saving the 40 for stuffing data and image files, but I totally forgot that the newer one, the 40, must be faster!  

Sethan

« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2004, 08:39:29 pm »
I second what Javora and Barabbas said.

A default install of XP can easily wipe the drive you are installing it on, if you are not familiar with such installs and / or careful - that is why I suggested copying all the data to the other drive first.

Barabbas is correct about making the 40GB the master - but I would put the 15GB on the secondary IDE channel (with the CD drive as the slave).  If the two hard drives are on the same IDE channel and the data transfer rate of the two hard drives is different, the machine will transfer data at the slower rate of the two - even from the faster drive.

Barabbas

« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2004, 09:01:25 pm »
Quote:

.... I would put the 15GB on the secondary IDE channel (with the CD drive as the slave).  If the two hard drives are on the same IDE channel and the data transfer rate of the two hard drives is different, the machine will transfer data at the slower rate of the two - even from the faster drive.  

Oh, yeah..... 'Fergot about that.

What Sethan said.

SL-Punisher

« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2004, 10:16:16 am »
Yea most CDROMS are still UDMA 33...definatly slower than almost any harddrive thats a couple years old to present.

Sten

« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2004, 12:03:35 pm »
Something else to consider how much performance do you want to get from this computer?

Assuming all you have is 2 EIDE controillers. No SCSI, or extra controller cards installed.

Assume the CDROM  moves data at 300 KBs to 1.3 MBs more or less.

Check out the speed of your hardrives.

You may find you have UDMA-33 drives or 66 or possibly higher.

So why is this important if you set a Hardrive on the same controller port as the CDROM then the hardrive will transfer information at the same rate as the CDROM.

The golden rule whatever is the slowest device determines the bandwidth of data being moved.

So if your CDROM is moving data at 300-1300 KBs and your old UDMA-33 is moving at 33 MBs your old hardrive is going to pay and you are going to notice a major performance hit.

Likewise putting two hardrives on the same EIDE controller nothing says you can't mix and match them just remember the slower of the two drives is going to determine the overall bandwidth transfer rate of your HDDs.

E_Look

« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2004, 02:23:24 pm »
Yes, but it seems to me that many people just wire up the CDROM drives as slaves to their HDs.  Then again, for many systems, how many IDE ports do you have on the motherboard?  This is why, when I added an extra CDROM drive, another HD, I had to set up the two CDROMs as slaves to the primary and secondary HDs.

Are you saying maybe I should have set one HD as primary master, other as primary slave, and the CDROMs on the secondary line?  Would this improve data throughput rates?

Sten

« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2004, 02:37:42 pm »
Quote:

Yes, but it seems to me that many people just wire up the CDROM drives as slaves to their HDs.  Then again, for many systems, how many IDE ports do you have on the motherboard?  This is why, when I added an extra CDROM drive, another HD, I had to set up the two CDROMs as slaves to the primary and secondary HDs.

Are you saying maybe I should have set one HD as primary master, other as primary slave, and the CDROMs on the secondary line?  Would this improve data throughput rates?  

YES

If the Hardrives have the same through put then one should be the Master the other the Slave.

Then do the same with your CDROM and burner or whatever else. Just make sure you change the jumpers to reflect properly.

Capt. Mike

« Reply #114 on: April 10, 2004, 06:10:00 am »
What I've done is put the DVD and DVD burner on the secondary IDE, the 80G and 40G on the primary, and installed a controller card for the 20 and two 10's (I can't get rid of anything)..of course I put in a 550 W pwr supply and some extra fans, but everything has been working well.  I seem to recall a while back that it was not good to mix and match HD with CD/DVD drives..so I've kept that strategy.

Mike

E_Look

« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2004, 12:27:47 pm »
550 W!!  (And all that extra hardware!)   Wow, Capt. Mike, did you put in some extra case fans or something?

Capt. Mike

« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2004, 04:13:54 pm »
Of course I did...read everything... have 2 extra fans and it's in the coolest room of the house  

Mike

SL-Punisher

« Reply #117 on: April 12, 2004, 02:39:29 am »
You also should consider purchasing a addin PCI ATA-100/133 board if you have a hard drive that supports it and the IDE controllers on your motherboard are a bit old (ATA 33/66)

Here check this out:

http://www.pcclub.com/product_list.cfm?cat=Controller%20Cards&subcat1=Ultra%20ATA&subcat2=ATA%20133

E_Look

« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2004, 02:36:21 am »
Well, I began the assembly of the computer tonight, and it's "half" done: all I've gotten to so far is to install the CPU, its heatsink, the RAM, the video card, and power supply.  Respectively, they are:

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (and the retail package heatsink it came with)
2 sticks of Kingston DDR-2700 RAM (CL = 2.5)
Connect3D Radeon 9500 (alas, not the one with the "L" shaped chip pattern, i.e., the one that can be flashed up to a 9700) and
Thermaltake 420 W PSU (as far as I can see, not SATA ready, but I don't care, as I"m reusing old HDs), all hooked up to a
DFI NFII Ultra-AL (nForce 2 400 chipset) board  (yeah, yeah, I know, my RAM is not dual channel, but I think this is a small matter)

Everything is wrapped up in a lime green (hey, it's for a kid!) Raidmax steel case with one of those kid-approved see-thru side panels... oh yeah, I will also stick in a third case fan that has green glowy LEDs, which is why  kids approve of having a plastic case side in the first place.

I just hope I didn't screw up the little square of thermal contact goop on the underside of the heat sink; the heatsink of the northbridge chip, which is very close to the CPU socket, was kind of huge and impeded my installation of the CPU heatsink.  (But I think I did it right, though.)  You have to get the three plastic lugs on the side of the socket base closest to that northbridge chip close to the three openings in the plain side of the heatsink clip (as it won't go in by themselves) and then use your finger to push the metal clip at each cutout/lug point to get the lugs through, and then swivel down the heatsink as far as possible without forcing, then with gentle but firm pressure press the green tab on the remaining clip so that the three cutouts on that side secure themselves on the lugs of the other side of the socket base.  This is the part of PC assembly I heat (fear) the most.  It was easier with my Socket 754 MSI board and its Athlon 64; that went in fairly easily.

Now how am I going to stea... uh, remove the HDs and CDROM and zip drives out of his current system without him noticing??  Still, I think this beats spending another $100-200 for another HD, CDROM, and zip.

I hope I haven't bored all of you.  Thanks for all your input!  I will do as you all suggest, transferring the data to one of those drives, "zeroing" out that first one, and then installing XP fresh on a cleaned drive... and will do my best to keep the HDs and other drives on separate lines.

But I think I recall I used to have a problem with hooking up a zip drive either as master OR slave with a CDROM drive.  I think I HAD to make it slave to a HD.  And, bummer... this mobo only comes with  ONLY ONE    IDE ribbon cable (not even round, at that!).  Ah, well, I think I can reuse the old IDE cables, too!  

Capt. Mike

« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2004, 05:45:54 am »
To remove his hardware w/out him knowing it...take hime to the woods with a burlap bag and a bat, tell him to go out  calling "here snipe, here snipe"  and while he's occupied...go home and grab it  

Mike