Topic: While we wait for more of Lord Bile's B' Lorian ships...  (Read 1924 times)

Klingon Fanatic

While we wait for more of Lord Bile's B' Lorian ships...
« on: February 27, 2003, 05:49:20 am »
Hi!

I finally got a NEW scanner!

I wanted to post these CONCEPT drawings two years ago but my old scanner well, died, and I wasn't financially in a position to get a new one.

At any rate, here are two sketches combined into one picture I wanted to use in one of my first SFC RPG TNG threads.

The Tholian Assualt Trooper was a CONCEPT I wanted to introduce as having been involved in the capture of a Death Wing (WZ45) that strayed into Tholian Space while testing a new warp drive; radiation from the engines killed most of the crew and the Tholians siezed the ship (IKV Firebrand). This is where I started to develop Nost Vor Markist and trackk his career from the Tholian Border Harassment Squadron through his promotion to General and assignment to Task force: Kraag Dorr's Teeth.
I remember spirited chats with Brezgonne about him not liking how I was running the Tholians. Brezgonne if you are reading this I have changed most of my evil ways...

When the B' Lorians were introduced as a reptilian race, I set off to do a few CONCEPT drawings. The B' Lorians, I felt should be 1) distinguishable from any other reptilian race such as the Gorn and 2) should allow for some diversity in form; a la subspecies for each of the B' Lorian Castes. Most Importantly, they should be portrayed in a uniform and consistant manner as the other Trek races are and I wrote the three B' Lorian short stories after consulting with LB about general ideas.

I would remind the reader that this is a two year-old concept sketch. Here's what I was thinking:

First, the nostrils on top of the B' Lorians head, above and just in front of the eyes. The prehistoric (Triassic era) crocodile-like phytosaurs were my inspiration here; I like the idea that water could be kept out of the predator's snout as it swam through the water stalking its prey. A reptilian metabolism would  give the B' Lorians many advantages over us warm blooded types. These B' Lorians could stay under water for hours, go without food for months and naturally hibernate for months at a time; ALL advantages in space travel even if you have sophisticated life support.

Second, the bony frills. Primarily for display in both territorial disputes and for mating displays. The Overall design would be to help them to warm up or cool down faster than their prey. Sort of like the prehistoric (Permian) sail-backed dimetrodon. I also figured that these frills would have chloroplasts there which allow the B' Lorians to have chameleon like abilities too.

Finally, I figured that if the B' Lorians weilded swords, then they would also use armor. The symbol I use in this pic is a stylized, prehistoric (Cretaceous) Velociraptor claw swinging into motion.

I have yet to update this picture and draw the other sub-species found in the B' Lorian Castes (Progenitor, Hunter, Slayer, Shaman and Worker). However, this is only a STARTING point.  Feel free to chime in on what you think of this race. Don't forget to read the B' Lorian Short Stories I wrote here:

http://sfc3.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=388607626&f=7596050731&m=4206067622&r=4206067622#4206067622

More stuff is on the way.

Qa Pla!

KF    
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Klingon Fanatic »