Topic: Now this does not look half bad to me  (Read 4979 times)

InterMech

Re: Now this does not look half bad to me
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2004, 05:36:44 pm »
I like this version of the Constitution. I think it would be a good replacement for the original. The only thing is, I would have liked to see both the NX and this one have coloring that looks like it is between present day NASA and TMP ships.

I think "Enterprise" must be an alternate reality. I would have liked to see a crew on a Deadalus class starship in the midst of the Earth-Romulan war.

I think a better alternative to "Enterprise" would have been just a time travel show set in the Star Trek Universe, it would have left the possiblities wide open with 10,000 years of past human history and several hundred years of future "history" already layed out. It could be a future Federation task force (crew of a Wells class if nessesary) fighting against a race that is using time manipulation as a weapon. Each show would deal with preventing the enemy from tampering with the timeline. Possibilities increase with each possible alternate reality which would come about. Maybe a show like that would have too much depth for TV.  

Captain Pierce

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2004, 10:37:36 pm »
The problem I see personally* with making this a pre-Constitution is the same problem I have with trying to work most of Enterprise's "plot" points into any view of the Star Trek Universe that includes TOS--Enterprise just has too much damn technology.    The technology used in Enteprise is fundamentally the same as that of TNG, DS9, and/or Voyager.  Some of the terminology is different ("phase pistol" instead of "phaser," "polarized armor" instead of "deflector shield," etc) but it all seems to work 100% the same way.  They have technology that they're not supposed to have even according to TNG--the Daedalus-class Exeter, lost in 2167 or thereabouts, didn't have subspace--and of course TOS didn't have "real-time" subspace comms with Earth the way that NX-01 does.  Based on those examples--and plenty more that I won't go into--I simply despair of ever integrating Enteprise into the timeline of the first four shows, no matter how many Bobby Ewings jump out of the sonic shower to press the magic rewind button.    That's why my suggestion would be to just shunt this ship into a parallel reality, the one in which the NX class seems to have replaced the Daedalus as the gold standard of early starships, and then come up with a whole fleet's worth of new designs to populate that reality.  One can only imagine, for example, what an Enterprise-ed Loknar might look like... or several of the odder FASA designs that fall within the "flat" design style that Enterprise is giving us...    Who knows--a bit of Enterprise-ing might even make the Akyazi tolerable!  

*One of the problems with this sort of discussion, of course, is the fact that we all create (or re-create) Star Trek in our own image.  Even before Enterprise took a quantum torpedo-sized hammer to the timeline, there are enough inconsistencies and continuity glitches in the first four series that, as a fan, you have to come up with your own interpretations and explanations for them.  So, when I talk about stuff like this, it's all filtered through my own "world" view, which I fully realize is quite different from (I would guess from past experience, anyway) most other people's.    I'm not trying to say that mine is "right" and/or that anybody else's is "wrong" here, just trying to point out where I'm coming from...

One more thing that I'd say about the ship seen here would be that, on further study, it seems a little too much like bits and bobs of NX-01 taken and rearranged without the sort of significant changes that one would expect from 80 or 90 years of technological development.  For example, the nacelles of the Daedalus and the Constitution (particularly the early "Cage" and "WNMHGB" versions) are certainly similar--but not exactly the same, as these seem to be.  

Heavens_Eagle

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2004, 11:18:08 pm »
On a practical note, consider this:
The TOS Enterprise was designed at a time (about 40 years ago) that we were still in the beginning stages of space travel, computers and a number of other technologies.  Who would have thought of TV screens back then that are only an inch or 2 thick.  Heck I have a monitor that is 20" diagonal and 2" thick.  Even 10 years ago that was pipe dream stuff.  I have a calculator that is several times more powerful than the   computers  used on the Apollo missions.

Now go back to the 60's and consider the way the technology and Scifi ships of the 30's 40's and 50's looked in comparison.

Don't get me wrong.  I liked TOS and AT THE TIME it was THE THING.  It is however dated and much of the technology they portrayed then is now VERY dated.  

Those of you that insist that everything revolve around TOS, and to H_E_ doub_LL_e with anything new and more realistic kind of remind me of the old farmer trying to drive his model T on an Expressway where the rest of the traffic is running at 65+ MPH.     As someone already mentioned, TOS was rather hokie with the sets and special effects.  Come into the present day and lets move on.

I like the design of this TOS E and it does make some sense.  Oh and BTW this is not a model, it is a drawing done in Photoshop.  No 3D model yet.  

ModelsPlease

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2004, 12:33:06 am »
It's all good . TOS is TOS no one can ever change that. For good,bad,hookie or not. It is what has brought alot of us together here,now.Some here aren't old enough to remember the TOS series.Maybe it was one of the movies,TNG,DS9,Voyager,and yes even Enterprise. Alternate time lines,prototypes, what have you.......it is our love for all things Star Trek that unites us. Enjoy everyone's interpetation of it. If you don't like a particular ship.Bye all means voice your opinion,choose not to use it in your game,or use it as target practice for your REAL Trek ship,but appreciate all the ideas,and respect the person for having them.It is what I feel makes this community great.
-MP ( Model junkie at large)  

DarkScream

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2004, 08:02:24 pm »
so I do not think the question was ever answered....is this shp available lol...

Fallen_Warrior

« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2004, 06:48:01 am »
good point where is the link to get this into our games

Core

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2004, 01:37:45 am »
how abult reconstructing TOS in curent thecolagy I know that that is going to taik a dekade to acomplish but still this culd maike a very nise revision  of the series. plus the yonger croud whuld defenetly wach it

and i do mean 10 years for the reconstruction

ModelsPlease

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2004, 06:05:42 am »
Quote:

kitbash underway  

DM  

Hey DM did you ever finish it ? And if so when will it be up at SFC3 ?  

Fallen_Warrior

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2004, 06:19:25 am »
i agree with MP any news yet this is so cool. and also i have started to retexture all my TOS ships to enterprise standard so if anyone wants to cheak them out drop me a line and i will try sending you one

battlestar001

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2004, 10:48:35 am »
can ya send the sip to me? battlestar001@yahoo.com I think the ship shown in the 1st page rocks and would make a great prptotype connie. Or did u TOS fans forget that the hull off the 1701 was PAINTED white? U cant easily deevolve TOS technology and get a step up from morden day tech! TOS tech was an outgrowth off 60's technology and TNG ect was an outgrowth of that In some respects moden day tech is better than TOS. Although we dont have warpdrive or transporters or .................................! Enterprise (NX01) is a lojical evolvement of moden day tech and i think they've done a great job with the technology portrayed in the series under very had condistions. So prehaps u critics should, now how shall i say this, get over it. Oh yes the temprol cold war would allow some of the future crews to come  into it like Picard, riker, kirk, data and sisko. So the possibiltys r endless with it.    

ModelsPlease

« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2004, 12:24:16 am »
Absolutely F_W send one my way.I'd love to see what you imagined. ModelsPlease@aol.com  

Fallen_Warrior

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2004, 07:43:22 am »
Quote:

Absolutely F_W send one my way.I'd love to see what you imagined.    

i already have you addy dude and i havent gotten around to doing them yet its maily just going to be a simple retexture ie making 1 set of textures whichi can use for the whole fleet of TOS ships its a long way from been done though so i will keep you updated the only one i have done so far is the fearless which is a retexture of Jeff Wallaces frigate and it can be found at
 http://www.strategyplanet.com/sfc/files.shtml
just do a search for Nx-05 Fearless and it will come up i apolergise for not been able to post pics on here so you all can see it before you download it but there is a pic on the page with the download page its the best i can do when it comes to texturing aswell

ModelsPlease

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2004, 07:55:12 am »
Hey Bro that's bad azz work. Can't wait till ya get the hang of milkshape and can start on the stuff I sent ya.

-MP  

Fallen_Warrior

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2004, 08:05:15 am »
Quote:

Hey Bro that's bad azz work. Can't wait till ya get the hang of milkshape and can start on the stuff I sent ya.

-MP  

thanx it took 39 hours to retexture the lighting is slightly off mainly because i rushed it a bit too much but i dont know how to add lighting in milkshape oh well i will figure it out, im waiting for Dark Matrix to post it on sfc3files but he hasnt given me his email addy yet and then i should start getting a bit morework
so for ai have about 2000 re textures to do and 7 ships which need textures for the first time

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2004, 01:17:19 pm »
Im gonna Bump this to the top for the benefit of Darkdrone
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2004, 10:56:25 am »
Bumping for DD's Benefit again.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2004, 11:51:54 am »
why is this not out yet? This community has made  mor connies than any other...We should have DN, BB and CL's made out of this thing by now... ::) ;D

Offline Core

• The oracle of doom and suffering in sight of the perfect future
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • the future of the federation is in it's diversity
    • Core Ships Gallery
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2004, 02:38:24 pm »
all great thing take time

And then their was a scream like no other in the universe

Core Ships Gallery - http://gallery80344.fotopic.net/