Topic: Beating the race technology limiter.  (Read 2584 times)

Swordsman

Beating the race technology limiter.
« on: February 28, 2003, 10:00:10 am »
I can't believe it took me this long to figure it out. Any weapon you want your Federation or Romulan starship to have, but it belongs to someone else? Here's how to get it without editing ship defaults and rendering that ship invalid in the latest patch.

As always, BACK UP YOUR FILES BEFORE YOU EDIT.

Go to your weaponitems.txt in the common settings folder of your assets directory. Under each weapon there will be a line that looks like this:

Race = "F"

This line indicates that the particular weapon belongs to the Federation. However, if you'll scroll all the way down to the antimatter minelayer, youll see the race line like this:

Race = "BFKR"

That's right, a weapon can belong to multiple races. So scroll around and find that weapon you want to add to another race. Say the weapon is Klingon and we want the Romulans to have it. Find the race line and Just add a capital R to it like this:

Original
Race = "K"

Edited
Race = "KR"

Save the file. You'll find the weapon available for refit in both the Romulan and Klingon refit screens now. It's pretty obvious what letters represent what races, so it's really easy to do.

Good luck.

Stormbringer

Re: Beating the race technology limiter.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2003, 08:06:44 pm »
We did not know thats what you meant. I thought you meant custom or new weapon types. Sorry that you had to find this on your own.

Swordsman

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2003, 10:25:51 pm »
Oh, nah. that's not what I meant at all. I'm just posting these little "hacks" for those out there who don't want to do code-busting. I might come out with a tip or two every few days until I've exhausted all the easy stuff.

Daihak

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2003, 09:51:18 am »
I know this is a dumb question, but to which game are you refering to?  SFC1, 2, or 3?  I am kinda new to the SFC games, having recently bought a copy of SFC1 Gold, and am trying to see what ships I can use to modify the game.  I apologize if I posted incorrect material.

MarianoDT

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2003, 04:18:32 pm »
Quote:

I know this is a dumb question, but to which game are you refering to?  SFC1, 2, or 3?  I am kinda new to the SFC games, having recently bought a copy of SFC1 Gold, and am trying to see what ships I can use to modify the game.  I apologize if I posted incorrect material.  

He is talking about SFC3.....

3dot14

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2003, 02:57:01 pm »
Yep. He is talking about SFC3.

There is no Race Tech in SFC1. You can put anyone's weapons on anybody. However, be warned that the interface may have the wrong "motif". i.e. putting a Fusion on a Fed ship won't display a Fed launch panel, but a, IIRC, Hydran one.

(this problem is corrected in SFC2.)

DarkonSlayer

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2003, 12:25:35 pm »
Sounds Kewl, I might have to try this, its been a long time since I've done any modding for this SFC