Topic: Assert error when creating new scripts in OP  (Read 5469 times)

FPF_TraceyG

Assert error when creating new scripts in OP
« on: April 27, 2004, 07:47:21 am »
I can compile existing missions just fine, but I get an assert error when creating a new script with the create script addin dll. I'm using FireSoul's SFC2_Script_API.dsw file, this is the file that wasn't included in the OP API (but is with EAW).

I remember hearing someone else have a similar problem before. Thoughts anyone?

Toasty0

Re: Assert error when creating new scripts in OP
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 09:58:40 am »
Yeah, that was me...I'm goning to have to back and snoop around to se how I fixed it.

Best,
Jerry  

Toasty0

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 10:01:21 am »
Welp, that didn't take long to find.

Read through this thread all the way to the end. I have what seems to be a dialog with myself, but through it I seem to explain the problem and also reveals what a rookie I am at this still.

http://forums.taldren.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=283920&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1
Best,
Jerry  

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 11:16:24 am »
Thanks for that Jerry, I do actually have that file from FS's environment. Unfortunately, its still not working  

Toasty0

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 11:33:12 am »
Quote:

Thanks for that Jerry, I do actually have that file from FS's environment. Unfortunately, its still not working    

It's not the dsw file that is the problem.

Best,
Jerry  

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 01:59:56 pm »
Ahhhh

Toasty0

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 07:25:08 pm »
Quote:

Ahhhh  

here is a copy of the post I was trying to direct you to:

Here's an observation: I hope my assumptions hold up.

It would seem that after setting up the new script (sec 3.0 of Dave's guide) you should do a build before moving on to section 12. Otherwise ScriptInterface.h and other extenal dependancies will not be available and you'll get errors when you do a build as directed in section 12.1.1 .

Welp, into the breach once more.

I hope that leads to a resolution of your difficulties.

Best,
Jerry  

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 12:29:10 am »
The problem is that the assert error occur whilst trying to setup the new script, no files are being created so I have nothing to build.  

Toasty0

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 12:41:05 am »
Quote:

The problem is that the assert error occur whilst trying to setup the new script, no files are being created so I have nothing to build.    

You're gonna have to give me a day or two before I'll have time to recreate the problem so that I can work through the error and better explain the solution. Sorry I can't be any help sooner.

Best,
Jerry  

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 01:00:10 am »
The thing is, it was working fine. The only thing I've done since setting up the API was install Borland C++ Builder.

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 01:06:38 am »
When I click on the Creat Script button, this is the error message that appears:

Quote:

Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library

Debug Assertion Failed

Program: MSDEV.EXE
File: fopen.c
Line: 54

Expression: *file != _T("\0")

For information on how your program can cause an assertion failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts.

(Press retry to debug the application)

(Abort) (Retry) (Ignore)

If I click on Abort, I then get a fatal error

Quote:

MSDEV.EXE - Application Error

The instruction at "0x73dd1351" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program.

After doing so, I then get another error message which repeats itself about 5 times saying a problem has been encountered with Microsoft Developer Studio and needs to close, please tell Microsoft about this problem etc etc.After that, VC++ shuts down.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by FPF_TraceyG »

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2004, 01:18:15 am »
I've already uninstalled and reinstalled VC++, no luck though.

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2004, 01:20:28 am »
Quote:

Quote:

You're gonna have to give me a day or two before I'll have time to recreate the problem so that I can work through the error and better explain the solution. Sorry I can't be any help sooner.

Best,
Jerry  

Any help is much appreciated  

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2004, 02:03:57 am »
Well, I'll be darned... I fixed it. How simple it was in the end, I had placed the Registry settings string in Taldren/Starfleet Command Orion Pirates instead of just Taldren. Curious that such a small thing could actually cause VC++ to crash fatally though.
Well, at least I know what happens now when the registry isn't edited properly. Thanks for the help, Jerry.

Toasty0

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2004, 09:58:08 pm »
Oh thank goodness. I didn't cherish the thought of an all-nighter tearing things out to get it back to zero so I could then spend more night time oil poking around the API and VC++6sp5 trying to recreate the assert error.

I *thank you* for finding it first, Tracy.

Best,
Jerry