Topic: Can't change file?  (Read 932 times)

PaulRay

Can't change file?
« on: April 28, 2004, 09:44:31 pm »
I'm new to this forum and I have a prob that I hope you guys can help me out with. I just recently reinstalled this game and I remember being able to change the files where you can start a mission with better ships. But for some reason my cpu now won't read the files. What do I do now. I used to be able to change the files the last time I installed this game and now it won't let me. Thanks for any help in advance.  

Pestalence

Re: Can't change file?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 10:03:19 pm »
The file is Character.gf where you can adjust your starting Prestige.. or the ships.gf file where you can change the starting BPV of the ship..

when you double click the file, it will give you a selection to choose from :

Use the Web to find the appropriate program

or

select the program from a list

choose

select a program from a list

click OK.. now click Notepad and check the box that says Always Open With.

Click OK and now you can edit the *.gf files in notepad without any trouble at all...

just make sure the read only on the file (right click file and select properties and make sure that read only is unchecked)

also make sure to make a back up so that you can restore the file in the future if you desitre.. or if you make a mistake that causes the game to CTD...

when editing these files, make sure when you go into the game, you delete any saved games that there may be.

hope that this helps.

PaulRay

Can't change file?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 09:44:31 pm »
I'm new to this forum and I have a prob that I hope you guys can help me out with. I just recently reinstalled this game and I remember being able to change the files where you can start a mission with better ships. But for some reason my cpu now won't read the files. What do I do now. I used to be able to change the files the last time I installed this game and now it won't let me. Thanks for any help in advance.  

Pestalence

Re: Can't change file?
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 10:03:19 pm »
The file is Character.gf where you can adjust your starting Prestige.. or the ships.gf file where you can change the starting BPV of the ship..

when you double click the file, it will give you a selection to choose from :

Use the Web to find the appropriate program

or

select the program from a list

choose

select a program from a list

click OK.. now click Notepad and check the box that says Always Open With.

Click OK and now you can edit the *.gf files in notepad without any trouble at all...

just make sure the read only on the file (right click file and select properties and make sure that read only is unchecked)

also make sure to make a back up so that you can restore the file in the future if you desitre.. or if you make a mistake that causes the game to CTD...

when editing these files, make sure when you go into the game, you delete any saved games that there may be.

hope that this helps.