Topic: Titan WIP  (Read 18432 times)

Sandman3D

Re: Titan WIP ***FINAL MESH UPDATE***
« Reply #140 on: May 20, 2004, 03:10:59 pm »
Keepin' da trench...it's the signature of this ship!! As for reg positioning, I'll try a couple of variations and we can see what she looks like...also want to see how she looks with a number in the trench, whichever is in the middle. I like the trench on her, makes her stand out. MP, come up with a design storyline that applies to the trench, please...you're our story guy.

OK, time to eat lunch and get back to work, I'll do some more after work and post pics tonight.  

Ryker

« Reply #141 on: May 20, 2004, 06:33:43 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Indeed it would be cool, bud

I still maintain that a more rounded prow to the ship would make it looks sleeker, as well as solve the registry location situation

Bring on the pictures!  

Indeed she would look sleeker and I agree with you suggestion...but
this ship is going to keep her individuality and those saucer trenches are the key
So what does this mean???
It means that I will use your suggestion and will work with you to design a Frigate, Light-cruiser, Battleship, or Destroyer in order to implement your ideas...that is if you would have me...Also this could be another joint community idea/design  

***...ship plans float around in Ryker's head, most involving variations of the Ambassador class he's nuts about...***

Ryker

« Reply #142 on: May 20, 2004, 06:52:50 pm »
Quote:

Keepin' da trench...it's the signature of this ship!! As for reg positioning, I'll try a couple of variations and we can see what she looks like...also want to see how she looks with a number in the trench, whichever is in the middle. I like the trench on her, makes her stand out. MP, come up with a design storyline that applies to the trench, please...you're our story guy.

OK, time to eat lunch and get back to work, I'll do some more after work and post pics tonight.  

Cool cool  

I had an idea in work about a way of keeping the trench (as is popular opinion  ) and making the registry fit in a standard way- remember the Enterprise J had a similar projection at the front of it's saucer? As I recall, it started off as a trench and widened out to a fan towards the front of the saucer- could something like this work with the Titan...? (It could also be a little 'canon precursor to the Ent-J): I had a play around with it, and came up with this (admittedly OTT) illustration of the 'fan' section of the hull:

If the trench fans out (probably much less than this  ) at the prow, maybe the reg #  and number could fit in there, and the trench stays...?    

Fallen_Warrior

« Reply #143 on: May 20, 2004, 07:16:36 pm »
now that i like

Azel

« Reply #144 on: May 20, 2004, 07:21:12 pm »

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keepin' da trench...it's the signature of this ship!!  As for reg positioning, I'll try a couple of variations and we can see what she looks like...also want to see how she looks with a number in the trench, whichever is in the middle.  I like the trench on her, makes her stand out. MP, come up with a design storyline that applies to the trench, please...you're our story guy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cool cool

I had an idea in work about a way of keeping the trench (as is popular opinion ) and making the registry fit in a standard way- remember the Enterprise J had a similar projection at the front of it's saucer? As I recall, it started off as a trench and widened out to a fan towards the front of the saucer- could something like this work with the Titan...? (It could also be a little 'canon precursor to the Ent-J): I had a play around with it, and came up with this (admittedly OTT) illustration of the 'fan' section of the hull:

Quote:

no good
that ruins the side veiw of the saucer
Sorry mate I am not feeling that one  

Sandman3D

« Reply #145 on: May 20, 2004, 07:30:07 pm »
ok, before anyone gets all worked up about the trench, let's see what she looks like later...I'll be doing more work texture wise, and we can see how she looks....but basically, Buzz and Azel are the designers and they say it stays, so...

Besides, Trek is full of new ideas, so maybe we need to come up with a new idea for the reg and name placement. Like I said, I'll play with it ans post pics of results.  

red_green

« Reply #146 on: May 20, 2004, 07:55:12 pm »
Quote:

ok, before anyone gets all worked up about the trench, let's see what she looks like later...I'll be doing more work texture wise, and we can see how she looks....but basically, Buzz and Azel are the designers and they say it stays, so...

Besides, Trek is full of new ideas, so maybe we need to come up with a new idea for the reg and name placement. Like I said, I'll play with it ans post pics of results.  

Ok this may sound lame but its hard to tell how wide the trench is from that angle. 1st of all, That is one hell of a good job on the mesh    Perhaps on the reg. NCC could be on the left. The dash in the center of the hull. Then TITAN to the right.  Maybe you could post 3-4 different variations of the reg placement and let us nitpic them    

olbuzzard

« Reply #147 on: May 20, 2004, 08:24:05 pm »
okie  here's my 2 cents worth:

1.  Ryker ...  you suggestion is not all togeather a bad one...  BUT ...
2.  Let Sandman do his thing with a few concept ideas ..  we just might come up with one that is a bit origonal !
3.  After that we will review ALL  of the possibilities.

Sandman has been most cooperative and understanding.

Until then gents ...  lets be paitent and wait !!

thanks

ModelsPlease

« Reply #148 on: May 20, 2004, 08:28:41 pm »
Leave the trench exactly as it is. worry about registry placement.Ol'Buzzard,Azel,and Sandman are right,the TRENCH is Titans signature. Great work Sandman sir, and I'm glad my Titan origins meet with everyones approval.

-MP

OT- my first true texture is done.I created a gold hued chain metal effect that would be great for a BORG texture.When I have a complete set of them I'll debut my first release.Not that it'll be much better than a 2 year old with a crayon but ya have to start somewhere.

-MP  

red_green

« Reply #149 on: May 20, 2004, 08:35:40 pm »
Quote:

2.  Let Sandman do his thing with a few concept ideas ..  we just might come up with one that is a bit origonal !

thanks  

Patients? What am I a doctor?  I say lets form a loose mob and start making demands.  

Hey MP crayons are fun.  I am sure you will be real good real fast like. If so I got some meshes on my HD you can practice on  

Sandman3D

« Reply #150 on: May 21, 2004, 08:28:00 am »
Sorry guys no pics....gave myself a headache working on it and had to stop. I'll do more today though...I have the day off. so....  

olbuzzard

« Reply #151 on: May 21, 2004, 08:57:08 am »
Hey Sandman ..  you dont worry about it ...  dont give it another thought ( so long as it si done by mid-night to night everything is cool !!)

(JUST KIDDING !!!!!!)

I will be hard to get a hold of after noon today ... I'm taking my wife of 30 years out to do some shopping ....  the out to dinner and maybe a movie after that. Sooooooo  hehehe  ...  I will be a bit busy !!

Above all bud ...  just take your time ... the amount of detail you put into this will make a really big difference on the overall apearance.  (BTW ...  some of the guys in our fleet are going  to begg Nanner to make certain this baby is in the MOD comming up)...  hehehe  ..  no pressure there bud !!

I'll pop in before Noon...  mean time I want to thank you for your special efforts you have put into this project.  It has been an absolute pleasure working with you and the rest of the team on this project !!

thanks guys !!

Sandman3D

« Reply #152 on: May 21, 2004, 09:00:47 am »
Fess up Buzz...we won't be seein ya the rest of today...got some "SPECIAL" plans for celebrating right?

olbuzzard

« Reply #153 on: May 21, 2004, 10:09:59 am »
Quote:

Fess up Buzz...we won't be seein ya the rest of today...got some "SPECIAL" plans for celebrating right?

HEHEE  ...  dont let a little snow on the ol' roof top fool ya there bud !!!

ModelsPlease

« Reply #154 on: May 21, 2004, 11:12:29 am »
Quote:

Quote:

thanks  

Patients? What am I a doctor?  I say lets form a loose mob and start making demands.  

Hey MP crayons are fun.  I am sure you will be real good real fast like. If so I got some meshes on my HD you can practice on    

Sure thing Red I'll give it go as soon as I figure out how to put the texture on a model.Once I figure that out I'll be working hard to get some models textured.Which leads me to my questions....What do I have to do to mate textures to a model ? Do I need a texture first or do I need to map where the texture goes ? And if I need to map it how do I do it. As you can see I'm pretty lost here. But my first texture is kick azz. I know I did it by total accident but it looks quite pro. I just need to put it on something......lol as soon I find out how.Any help will be appreciated guys.  

Sandman3D

Re: Titan WIP
« Reply #155 on: May 21, 2004, 05:59:16 pm »
 OK, here's a little more...I did the trench, not sure if I got it right, but looks good. Also, I made the deflector dish, turned out pretty good if you ask me. And 2 shots of another possibility for the name and reg...needs tweaking, just did it real quick for demo purposes. Also added some windows...too big, but I'll refine her as I go.

Azel

« Reply #156 on: May 21, 2004, 06:17:52 pm »
OK thats HOT!!
you need to reduce the ships registry and name by at least 50%
also flip the position of them
And the pylons still need tweaking(I think you knew that...I am just being an A$$ about it   )
Still she is looking good
BTW the gold parts are new???
if they are not...then they should be grey

Ryker

« Reply #157 on: May 21, 2004, 06:21:10 pm »
Looks good!

Windows could be smaller, as well as the registry number, to lend a greater sense of scale    

Sandman3D

« Reply #158 on: May 21, 2004, 06:27:46 pm »
Flipped...you mean to say USS TITAN   NCC-76452, rather than NCC-76452   USS TITAN? Makes sense, that'll be easy enough. The gold parts...that's what I was wondering...wasn't sure what they were supposed to be, so didn't know what color. Gray it is. Yeah, yeah, yeah, the pylons are wrong, I'll get to 'em.

BTW, windows on the inside of the trench? I think it'll look good, but only in certain areas...I'll do it up with 'em and see how it looks.  

Azel

« Reply #159 on: May 21, 2004, 06:36:48 pm »
Ok