Topic: Charge times or how to find the person who made the 531...  (Read 2686 times)

Kohlrak

Charge times or how to find the person who made the 531...
« on: June 03, 2004, 03:33:54 pm »
If i can find the charge times i'm guessing i could possibly make new weapons, armor, tractors and such. The mod maker of the 531 would know where the charge time file is, i'm sure. Also it would be nice to be able to make a mod where you can fire as fast as they do in the shows and cutsceans. I want to know where to find the charge times so i can edit them. Any help is accepted. (As long as i get some.)

NCC74656

Re: Charge times or how to find the person who made the 531...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 06:56:53 pm »
charge times are hardcoded  

Kohlrak

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 11:32:40 pm »
Say what?  

Praxis

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 12:09:42 am »
It means you'd essentially have to steal the source code from Taldren illegally somehow, learn programming, and re-write sfc3.exe, to change the charge times.

They're hard coded into the game, no file that controls them.

Lot's of stuff are hard coded, such as the races, which is why you can't add extra races, or extra weapons.

Kohlrak

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 03:12:44 pm »
Yes, but i'm pretty sure there's a difference in the charge times from the 531 compared to the last patch. If taldren is gonna do stuff like that then they my as well make a patch for us then where the weapons fire more quickly. I mean this really is a pretty slow game. I'm hoping that in future sfc games it'll allow presteige transfers and such for ransome and thngs like that. Also an editable charge time file. If we could add new races and/or weapons it would more than likely bring up the popularity level. Even star trek haters would buy it for all the other scifi ships and races they could add. The more easy it is to edit this game for mods the more that'll play.

MarianoDT

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 05:20:45 pm »
Quote:

I mean this really is a pretty slow game.  

Even in speed 11...???  

Praxis

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004, 09:04:39 pm »
Yeah, I'd say to just turn the game speed up.

red_green

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2004, 09:21:25 pm »
Quote:

Yes, but i'm pretty sure there's a difference in the charge times from the 531 compared to the last patch. If taldren is gonna do stuff like that then they my as well make a patch for us then where the weapons fire more quickly. I mean this really is a pretty slow game. I'm hoping that in future sfc games it'll allow presteige transfers and such for ransome and thngs like that. Also an editable charge time file. If we could add new races and/or weapons it would more than likely bring up the popularity level. Even star trek haters would buy it for all the other scifi ships and races they could add. The more easy it is to edit this game for mods the more that'll play.  

IIRC the 531 build acyually loads a new exe file. So its likely they edited the reload times in the code for the patch.  

3dot14

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2004, 12:13:31 am »
That's nice.

Now, Want to hear what I want for the next SFC?

:P

The fact is, a game cannot please everyone at the same time. (SFC2 and SFC3 are good examples). And nor everything can be written as moddable.

Pestalence

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2004, 12:23:10 am »
Weapon charge times are hardcoded as stated above.. you can turn up the game speed which will increase the charge time, but it will also effect ship movement as well, ships will turn faster.. basically it just speeds up the game engine, not X effect of the game...

As for adding ships.. SFC 3 is capable of adding as many ships as you like.. you can rename races and so forth.. ask on of the mod makers such as nannerSlug or The Pelican on how to do this.. you can even change SFC 3 to have 4 playable races and 5 AI races for a total of 9 races.. also v531 has the ability to be modded so that you can add different weapon arcs.. damage of weapons can be changes as the effectiveness of weapons and armor and engines, etc.. just look through your CommonSettings folder at the *.gf files..

as far as adding weapons, adding more than 4 playable races, or changing weapon charge times.. those items are not changable in SFC 3, nor are they likely to become modable in any future patch.. a change like that would have to come from Activision, which since they are no longer selling the game, i would guess that they would say no to such a major change.. it would mean that the entire game engine would have to be re-written... and that is not about to happen.

hope that this helps...

NCC74656

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2004, 06:13:49 am »
Quote:

Weapon charge times are hardcoded as stated above.. you can turn up the game speed which will increase the charge time, but it will also effect ship movement as well, ships will turn faster.. basically it just speeds up the game engine, not X effect of the game...

As for adding ships.. SFC 3 is capable of adding as many ships as you like.. you can rename races and so forth.. ask on of the mod makers such as nannerSlug or The Pelican on how to do this.. you can even change SFC 3 to have 4 playable races and 5 AI races for a total of 9 races.. also v531 has the ability to be modded so that you can add different weapon arcs.. damage of weapons can be changes as the effectiveness of weapons and armor and engines, etc.. just look through your CommonSettings folder at the *.gf files..

as far as adding weapons, adding more than 4 playable races, or changing weapon charge times.. those items are not changable in SFC 3, nor are they likely to become modable in any future patch.. a change like that would have to come from Activision, which since they are no longer selling the game, i would guess that they would say no to such a major change.. it would mean that the entire game engine would have to be re-written... and that is not about to happen.

hope that this helps...

This game would be awesome if it became as un-hardcoded as Armada 2! you can change almost everything! the Fleet Operations Mod is an example of this, pretty much everything is changed...  

Praxis

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2004, 11:54:32 am »
Yeah, even better, the Star Wars fleet command mod.  It's incredible.

They've added ion cannons, turbolasers, hyperdrive (goes much faster than warp but cannot turn), missles, superlasers, new special weapons, gravity well projectors to keep ships from warping away...
It doesn't feel like a Trek game anymore... Hopefully they'll add in Star Trek at some point for a VS mod (It was originally supposed to be)