Topic: Well heres a catch 22 if I ever saw one  (Read 717 times)

Khalee

Well heres a catch 22 if I ever saw one
« on: June 08, 2004, 04:08:05 pm »
Police crack down on motorized scootersBy Alia Mahi
KSNW-TVJune 8 - WICHITA, Kansas -- Wichita Police have issued a warning to parents who have kids with motorized scooters. They are illegal on city streets and officers will soon start writing tickets. One family found that out the hard way.

Tony Goff won't be driving his scooter anywhere but his driveway. Wichita Police issued him and his caretaker a warning, saying it's illegal to drive his favorite toy.

"I'm mad about it because I can't ride it. What's the point of having it?" said Goff.

That's a question Jennifer Kramer asked when police warned her not to drive her mini-motorcycle on the street.

"All we want to do is ride around the neighborhood," said Kramer.

But according to police, city and state laws state that scooters cannot be operated on city streets, sidewalks or city parks because, by definition, scooters are considered motor vehicles, meaning you need a license, insurance and a tag.

"It's just crazy, you know. [Tony's] 10 years old. He rides the scooters. He can't get a driver's license, let alone a motorcycle license," said Kramer.

"We're not going to be out there ticketing kids and taking away their scooters and stuff like that. It's an educational thing. We're trying to avoid a kid getting seriously injured or killed," said Captain Terry Nelson, Wichita Police Department.

But Goff and Kramer don't see it like that now that they know they can't scoot around the law.

"I guess I'll do what I can do and ride it in the driveway," said Goff.

Police say they are educating the public about the law and warning local businesses to tell their customers before they buy a scooter.

A ticket can cost a couple of hundred dollars.

Dont know about your City But ours is starting to get to be anything to Generate money kinda place.

Khalee

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 04:08:05 pm »
KSNW-TVJune 8 - WICHITA, Kansas -- Wichita Police have issued a warning to parents who have kids with motorized scooters. They are illegal on city streets and officers will soon start writing tickets. One family found that out the hard way.

Tony Goff won't be driving his scooter anywhere but his driveway. Wichita Police issued him and his caretaker a warning, saying it's illegal to drive his favorite toy.

"I'm mad about it because I can't ride it. What's the point of having it?" said Goff.

That's a question Jennifer Kramer asked when police warned her not to drive her mini-motorcycle on the street.

But according to police, city and state laws state that scooters cannot be operated on city streets, sidewalks or city parks because, by definition, scooters are considered motor vehicles, meaning you need a license, insurance and a tag.

"It's just crazy, you know. [Tony's] 10 years old. He rides the scooters. He can't get a driver's license, let alone a motorcycle license," said Kramer.

"We're not going to be out there ticketing kids and taking away their scooters and stuff like that. It's an educational thing. We're trying to avoid a kid getting seriously injured or killed," said Captain Terry Nelson, Wichita Police Department.

But Goff and Kramer don't see it like that now that they know they can't scoot around the law.

Police say they are educating the public about the law and warning local businesses to tell their customers before they buy a scooter.

Dont know about your City But ours is starting to get to be anything to Generate money kinda place.

Khalee

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 04:08:05 pm »