Topic: I swear this is not me Even tho I do love to get cook books once in a while  (Read 1475 times)

Khalee

Why is it not me Simple I havent been to the library in years, not after they started to swich over to Computers and slowly do away with the card catalog system.

Cookbook thief placed on probation
DAVENPORT, Iowa ? A library looter with a love of cooking has been sentenced to probation.

Kristin Grace, 37, pleaded guilty in January to second-degree theft for stealing more than 100 cookbooks from two public libraries.

She could have faced five years in prison and a fine of up to $7,500 if convicted of the felony theft charges.

Instead, she was sentenced to three years probation and was required to provide restitution to the Bettendorf and Davenport public libraries.

Bettendorf police had been investigating the disappearance of the books from the local library for about two years prior to charging Grace with the theft in November 2003.

The whodunit began in early 2001 when a librarian recommended a cookbook to a patron and then could not find the title. The librarian, who was in charge of purchasing cookbooks, did an inventory and found that 117 cooking titles had vanished.

Library employees began examining the dates of when the books were last checked out and when they disappeared, and turned the information over to police.

Authorities believe Grace legitimately checked out the books and, when she had them at home, removed the barcode or other theft protection device, according to Assistant County Attorney Jerald Feuerbach, who prosecuted the case.

Grace would then return the book, sans theft protection, and then sneak it back out of the library with another batch of checked-out books, Feuerbach said.

Police visited Grace's home, where they found numerous stolen books in plain sight. Grace freely admitted the library lifting spree and eventually cooperated with investigators.

As for a motive, Feuerbach described taking and keeping the cookbooks as Grace's "major form of recreation."

"She didn't have very many other outlets," he said. "This was something that became her total outlet."

Grace is also being prosecuted on felony theft charges in nearby Rock Island County, Ill., for lifting 192 books from two public libraries there.

She is due in circuit court on April 26 for a pretrial hearing.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Khalee »

Khalee

Why is it not me Simple I havent been to the library in years, not after they started to swich over to Computers and slowly do away with the card catalog system.

DAVENPORT, Iowa ? A library looter with a love of cooking has been sentenced to probation.

Kristin Grace, 37, pleaded guilty in January to second-degree theft for stealing more than 100 cookbooks from two public libraries.

She could have faced five years in prison and a fine of up to $7,500 if convicted of the felony theft charges.

Instead, she was sentenced to three years probation and was required to provide restitution to the Bettendorf and Davenport public libraries.

Bettendorf police had been investigating the disappearance of the books from the local library for about two years prior to charging Grace with the theft in November 2003.

The whodunit began in early 2001 when a librarian recommended a cookbook to a patron and then could not find the title. The librarian, who was in charge of purchasing cookbooks, did an inventory and found that 117 cooking titles had vanished.

Library employees began examining the dates of when the books were last checked out and when they disappeared, and turned the information over to police.

Authorities believe Grace legitimately checked out the books and, when she had them at home, removed the barcode or other theft protection device, according to Assistant County Attorney Jerald Feuerbach, who prosecuted the case.

Grace would then return the book, sans theft protection, and then sneak it back out of the library with another batch of checked-out books, Feuerbach said.

Police visited Grace's home, where they found numerous stolen books in plain sight. Grace freely admitted the library lifting spree and eventually cooperated with investigators.

As for a motive, Feuerbach described taking and keeping the cookbooks as Grace's "major form of recreation."

"She didn't have very many other outlets," he said. "This was something that became her total outlet."

Grace is also being prosecuted on felony theft charges in nearby Rock Island County, Ill., for lifting 192 books from two public libraries there.

Khalee