Topic: Read this before buying SFC3 preowned!  (Read 3268 times)

DreilDrag

Read this before buying SFC3 preowned!
« on: March 04, 2003, 03:55:21 pm »
Do not buy pre-owned copy's of SFC3!

My CD key stoped working as stated in another post. My CD key started working after the server reset, but I noticed that all the sudden a different server locked me out, so I called support this morning and since I bought a pre-owned SFC3 from a local gaming store I could not be supported, however, since Activision specifically told all retailers that SFC3 was NEVER to be resold that I needed to go back to my store and get a new retail copy. So after explaining to the retail manager what Activision told me I was given a copy of SFC3 new to replace the pre-owned one they illegally sold me.  

Tulmahk

Re: Read this before buying SFC3 preowned!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 07:51:32 pm »
Well, their selling of it wasn't illegal, really, just more of a breach of contract.

And yes, you're right.  Stay far away from any second-hand game that has CD-key style copy protection.  Those second-hand things have a curious habit of their CD-keys being retained by their previous owner (13 year olds think they're being so clever by getting their allowance money back by 'selling' their copy, only to retain their copy on the HD or a burned CD).

I have this thoery that 75% of the gaming industry's problems are caused by 13-year-olds.  Maybe it's crazy, but that's my pet theory...

The bargain bin is a far better bet (just make sure it's still shrink-wrapped).

Glad your store cooperated with you, and gave you the new copy you deserved.  Legit users should never be inconvenienced.  

DreilDrag

Read this before buying SFC3 preowned!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2003, 03:55:21 pm »
Do not buy pre-owned copy's of SFC3!

My CD key stoped working as stated in another post. My CD key started working after the server reset, but I noticed that all the sudden a different server locked me out, so I called support this morning and since I bought a pre-owned SFC3 from a local gaming store I could not be supported, however, since Activision specifically told all retailers that SFC3 was NEVER to be resold that I needed to go back to my store and get a new retail copy. So after explaining to the retail manager what Activision told me I was given a copy of SFC3 new to replace the pre-owned one they illegally sold me.  

Tulmahk

Re: Read this before buying SFC3 preowned!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2003, 07:51:32 pm »
Well, their selling of it wasn't illegal, really, just more of a breach of contract.

And yes, you're right.  Stay far away from any second-hand game that has CD-key style copy protection.  Those second-hand things have a curious habit of their CD-keys being retained by their previous owner (13 year olds think they're being so clever by getting their allowance money back by 'selling' their copy, only to retain their copy on the HD or a burned CD).

I have this thoery that 75% of the gaming industry's problems are caused by 13-year-olds.  Maybe it's crazy, but that's my pet theory...

The bargain bin is a far better bet (just make sure it's still shrink-wrapped).

Glad your store cooperated with you, and gave you the new copy you deserved.  Legit users should never be inconvenienced.