Topic: What are some qoutes that you like?  (Read 8666 times)

Offline Soreyes

• Commander
  • It's Not News. It's CNN
Re: What are some qoutes that you like?
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2004, 01:27:20 am »
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

Issac Asimov :notworthy:

[img width=600 height=150]

Offline The_Joker

• Lt.
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2004, 09:25:23 am »
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." General Sedgewick,1864 http://www.worldofquotes.com/index.php

"No one ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making that other poor dumb bastard die for his country."  George C. Scott as Patton

Does anyone know if Patton actually said that or not?

Oh yeah and my favorites.

"All it takes is ONE BAD DAY to reduce the sanest man alive to utter lunacy." and my signature.

Both can be accredited to my alter ego.
"Look at him now, poor fellow. That's what a dose of reality does for you... Never touch the stuff myself, you understand. Find it gets in the way of the hallucinations."

Offline AdmWaterTiger-11thFleet-

• Unity Admin
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Veni vidi vici
    • Spartan Vanguard
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2004, 10:14:42 pm »
====

Does anyone know if Patton actually said that or not?

====

Yes, did -- and worse. That is PG-12 Patton.

<S>

WT
http://www.spartanvanguard.com/
http://www.stcd.sgnonline.com/users/trimodyards/

KoraH: "Remember my advice to you Wade, that you should drop SFC ...  you will find that all you have to put up with to do so is going to sour the sweetness of your hard work."

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2004, 11:08:57 pm »
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." General Sedgewick,1864.

Heh, heh, heh... being a Reb, that's one of my favorite quotes from the war.

Here's one I need to listen to a bit more:

"I like liquor - its taste and its effects - and that is just the reason why I never drink it." - Gen.Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline kmelew

• "From the Place of the Hops-Growers"
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2004, 11:36:46 pm »
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." General Sedgewick,1864.

Heh, heh, heh... being a Reb, that's one of my favorite quotes from the war.

Here's one I need to listen to a bit more:

"I like liquor - its taste and its effects - and that is just the reason why I never drink it." - Gen.Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson

While we're on the Civil War...

"Mix 'em up--I'm tired of States' Rights." --Union General George H. Thomas in reponse to a chaplain's inquiry if he wanted the dead buried by state following the Battle of Franklin (?)

"That was ungenerous.  I'll have your guns for that!"  --Union General Philip Sheridan after he was shot at by Confederate gunners while raising his mug in a toast.

"The Army of the Potomac has a head."  --Confederate General Robert E. Lee following the Battle of the Wilderness

"Bobby Lee this, Bobby Lee that!  I'm sick to death hearing about Bobby Lee!  You think he would do a somersault and land in our Rear!  Stop thinking about what he will do to you and start thinking about what you will do to him!  Bring some guns up here!"  --Union General Ulysses S. Grant chiding the staff of the Army of the Potomac during the Battle of the Wilderness
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 11:46:07 pm by kmelew »
"I'm Kmelew, and I approve this post."

KnightAdvancer

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2004, 01:39:10 am »
"And this, too, shall pass away."

Surely, one of the knowledgeable people of these boards knows of this little quote and from whence it supposedly came?

Paul's letter to the Corinthians.   (The ones who make the nice leather)  Although I believe it would be a paraphrase if the case.  Otherwise I believe Abraham Lincoln told a story of an achient King who had that inscribed somewhere important.

I also know there is a poem of that title, "L name" Smith.

GE-Raven

The quote was from Lincoln giving a speech to the Wisconsin State Agricultural Society. The exact quote:

"It is said an Eastern monarch once charged his wise men to invent him a sentence to be ever in view, and which should be true and appropriate in all times and situations. They presented him the words: "And this, too, shall pass away." How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride; how consoling in the depths of affliction! "And this, too, shall pass away." And yet, let us hope, it is not quite true. Let us hope, rather, that by the best cultivation of the physical world, beneath and around us, and the intellectual and moral worlds within us, we shall secure an individual, social, and political prosperity and happiness, whose course shall be onward and upward, and which, while the earth endures, shall not pass away. "

Undoubtably, you will find "come to pass", "came to pass", "shall/have come/came to pass" and variations of such several thousands times in the Bible, though the most similar off the top of my head ("top of my head" in this came being synonymous to "quick google search") is 2 Peter 3:10-11.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 01:42:37 am by KnightAdvancer »

KnightAdvancer

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2004, 01:44:35 am »
Bobby Lee this, Bobby Lee that!  I'm sick to death hearing about Bobby Lee!  You think he would do a somersault and land in our Rear!

I would not rule this out. We are talking about the General Robert E. Lee, after all.

Offline kmelew

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2004, 09:10:22 am »
Bobby Lee this, Bobby Lee that!  I'm sick to death hearing about Bobby Lee!  You think he would do a somersault and land in our Rear!

I would not rule this out. We are talking about the General Robert E. Lee, after all.
And at The Wilderness he very nearly did it!

Grant had to do this in order to break to almost mystical hold that Lee had over the officers of the Army of the Potomac.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2004, 09:26:52 am »

Grant had to do this in order to break to almost mystical hold that Lee had over the officers of the Army of the Potomac.

Lee was a great General, and he looked even better when you compared him to the sorry sacks of bovine exrement that commanded the Army of the Patomic. THey would do nothing but regroup... knowing if they pressed home an attack they could have eventually crushed the ANV in a few months. For this reason I will always say that Mcclellan was one of the best generals the South had... he always gave Lee and his troops ample time to counter the Union's numerical superiority with manuver and fighting spirit.

Grant beat Lee by weight of numbers in the war of attrition that the South had hoped to avoid all along. They were, dispite differing personal natures which made Lee by far the better man of the two, two generals who knew how to use their resources to their advantage.

Without Grant, the North would have lost the war; without Lee opposing him, the war would never have lasted as long as it did.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline kmelew

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2004, 09:34:23 am »

Lee was a great General, and he looked even better when you compared him to the sorry sacks of bovine exrement that commanded the Army of the Patomic. THey would do nothing but regroup... knowing if they pressed home an attack they could have eventually crushed the ANV in a few months. For this reason I will always say that Mcclellan was one of the best generals the South had... he always gave Lee and his troops ample time to counter the Union's numerical superiority with manuver and fighting spirit.

Grant beat Lee by weight of numbers in the war of attrition that the South had hoped to avoid all along. They were, dispite differing personal natures which made Lee by far the better man of the two, two generals who knew how to use their resources to their advantage.

Without Grant, the North would have lost the war; without Lee opposing him, the war would never have lasted as long as it did.

And two more quotes: 

"I know Lee better than he knows himself.  Brave to a fault, but cautious and indecisive."  --General George McClellan.  He was actually describing himself!

"May God have mercy on General Lee for I will have none."  --General Joseph Hooker prior to his defeat by Lee at Chancellorsville.

BTW,  isn't Fort McClellan in Alabama?  ;D

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2004, 05:55:28 pm »
sh*t or get off the throne - My Mom
He who can master the data controls the world.

Offline *EZKILL*

• Lt.
  • You really need to quit doing shrooms
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2004, 06:08:59 pm »
"STFU!!!!!"

-Dizzy ;D
"Oh bother.", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2004, 07:06:20 pm »

BTW,  isn't Fort McClellan in Alabama?  ;D

Yep- sort of... it's closed down now. A whole brand new MP annex was abandoned 2 years after construction in 1999. Now it belongs to the Guard and we run it as we see fit- and if the A.G. isn't touring anytime soon or the OCS cadets ain't in there, you can even somke in the chow hall.

They gave us one post named after an Alabamian and a Southron- Rucker- and then had to balance that out 'cause you know you can't make it look like you are honoring a Confederate soldier, so they named one after that daft bumbler McClellan to even things out.

BTW- my unit was 'practicing DUI stops' *read as chasing down our drunk troops on the diserted treets* one night during a range drill and me and a ouple of fellows swapped the "Federal Way" street sign on the main street with a cardboard one we maid that said "Confederate Way." We had to put it up the next morning though... Top didn't find it quite as amusing as we did.

Next year we are going to paint "Ft. Joe Weeler" on the sign out front if we can bribe the sentry ;D !