Topic: Any of you guys ever think about getting published?  (Read 5548 times)

Offline Swordsman

• Lt. Junior Grade
Any of you guys ever think about getting published?
« on: June 28, 2004, 08:24:46 pm »
Go ahead, laugh...

Done yet? No, okay I'll wait...

Okay seriously, Star Trek novels are little more than commercial fan fiction. With expanding series such as New Frontier, Starfleet Year One, and others, you don't even have to write about the regular cast of a series anymore. You can make up your own and (with permission from Paramount) make money writing about it.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this post being about what it is. As a fellow fic writer, I know the credo of doing it for fun, not money. But some of the fan stuff I've read is good enough to be publishable! Hell, I've even thought of doing a novelized series.

Just something to think about.
If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
Re: Any of you guys ever think about getting published?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 10:29:47 pm »
Paramount does not take unsolicited submissions for ST related fiction.
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."

Offline Swordsman

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 12:11:22 am »
Really? That's a shame.
If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.

Offline Hstaphath_XC

• The Official Bard of XenoCorp
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt.
  • Captain, XC Hydran Squadron
    • The XC Bard's Corner
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 10:15:44 pm »
If I can ever finish Monty Python: Return of the King, I'm going to try giving the Python crew first dibs at doing something with it.
Hilaritas sapientiae et bonae vitae proles.

Potemkyn

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 09:35:54 pm »
Since Taldren is now defunct, I suppose our stories we posted there are ours once again. 

I have plans (once I ever get finished) to edit my story a bit (so it's not in the Star Trek/Star Fleet Universe) and self-publish it.

Wild dreams...
 :skeptic:

Po~

Offline Reptor

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Jack Ryder - The Rundorth Faction
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 10:10:40 am »
Hey, you guys need to check out Publish On Demand (POD), where you can self publish your own books easily.

The one I'm using for my own books (how to paint) is from http://www.lulu.com and its not bad at all. It cost nothing to actually make the book and create the cover. It's only when the book is ordered & printed when charges are made. They even have a storefront where you can sell your books, and lulu will handle charges, shipping, etc. The actual books are just like the ones at book stores in quality, if not better. You retain all rights as well.

Off the top of my head, it costs about $5 for binding/printing, a $1 processing fee, and .04 per page for B&W. and .15 per page for color. There's even ISBN services to get you listed at Amazon, etc.

I'm thinking of popping out a work of fiction soon after I finish my how-to stuff. My site about my current books are at http://embark.to/paint

You writers need to check it out. It was cool getting my first self published book. Just showing it off to friends & family made it worth it.  ;D

Jim
http://embark.to/paint
http://isctheater.50megs.com

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 10:29:30 pm »
Wait until you get your first paycheck.  There's nothing like that feeling in the world.
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 07:28:39 am »
I do know that one of the Former Writers here had some Luck getting Published. Blyre was able to get a short story.

http://toasty0.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=156

Tonight while reading over my long-neglected message board over at my site The Command Module , I came across a post from an online SF magazine, Bewildering Stories, that I had submitted a story to a long time ago.

Guess what? Their editors reread my story and they are interested in publishing it in an upcoming issue. Now, this isn't a paying gig, but at least it will get my name out there among the readers.

Happy, happy!

Wallace

I'm very Happy for him, as He is a good writer, and I've seen Personaly the thought he puts into his works.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Blyre

• Assistant to The Man
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 12:55:39 am »
I do know that one of the Former Writers here had some Luck getting Published. Blyre was able to get a short story.

http://toasty0.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=156

Tonight while reading over my long-neglected message board over at my site The Command Module , I came across a post from an online SF magazine, Bewildering Stories, that I had submitted a story to a long time ago.

Guess what? Their editors reread my story and they are interested in publishing it in an upcoming issue. Now, this isn't a paying gig, but at least it will get my name out there among the readers.

Happy, happy!

Wallace

I'm very Happy for him, as He is a good writer, and I've seen Personaly the thought he puts into his works.

Stephen

Steve, you should consider a career as a publicist...hehe :)

Seriously, Guys, I've been planning on penning a few lines here and there for this forum, but I've been delayed by outside issues.

I consider myself very fortunate to having been published and to be considered a regular contributing writer over at Bewildering Stories and though it's not a paying gig, the satisfaction is still there. Baby steps, baby steps.

Keep the faith,

Wallace
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 04:14:20 am by Blyre »
Political Correctness: helping losers feel better about themselves since 1986 ;)

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004, 04:03:33 am »
Way to go Wally!

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2004, 03:46:25 pm »
A publisist? Heck why not, I can BS with the best of them, But at least, with you, I'm sinsere (Sp) . Proud of you my friend.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War