Topic: A final thought on Taldren  (Read 30933 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: A final thought on Taldren
« Reply #120 on: July 14, 2004, 08:08:03 am »
I like Bioware also. htey also Had More Money in there Budget. How Many Patches have they for Free?

Stephen

They MIGHT have we will never know, those numbers are kept hidden from the general public. But certainly there was adversity. bio switching publishers from interplay to atari. Tho I will agree taldren had a fair amount of rangling to do themsevles, with all the licence issues of sfb/sfc

All there patches are free, As I am pretty sure most all other game devs are as well I am not sure your point..?

I Misspoke there. I meant they where paid for there Patch work. Taldren wasn't but did so anyway.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #121 on: July 14, 2004, 09:49:35 am »
Hmm, Well...

I was one of those that had a problem with NWN in that it deposed a computer...could I verify it was NWN...other than hearing others (very few, but you know) complain of it, no...because all evidence was erased in the processs!

I had two computers that it went kaput on (AMD Athlons at 1.8 gigs, 512 MB RAM, ATI AIW 7500's, 80 gig and 100 gig Har Drives, 40x CD/RW) and it wasnt' because they were behind the curve (though I am an Nvidia fan and could attribute it to the ATI cards...which some did, many would call Bioware evil from the run in with ATI in the release).  I'd boot it up and just got a black screen on those when the game was released up until patch 1.21, and the instance recurred on patch 1.27 on until SoA came out for those.

I had another computer with the jerky and no shiny water on.  Most of these were not unknown, and many attributed them to ATI cards, or older systems...seeing my systems were top of the line at that time...

On the otherhand...just to counter the interesting item...SFC1 ran out of the box for me, AND I've NEVER had a problem running it...my release I believe is 1.0 remarkably...

In otherwords...just because one has never had problems...shows arrogance to remark that this means there were very few problems for others on the game's release.

Take Dominion Wars...very buggy game.  I didn't have problems, but I would rank it as one of the buggier releases.

Bioware does keep making patches...BUT

It's because they have not been court ordered to stop and legally bound not to...

It's also because they have the money to spend on it currently...as they have work...

Taldren continued to supply patches...and even put in a system to continue putting out patches for some of the SFC games when they didn't had other work they were trying to get done...

I like Bioware...but I don't let my fanboi'ness hide the truth of things.  I am glad that Bioware has gotten NWN to work better, but they weren't the best in the campaign with the first release (you DO remember all the complaints about the official campaign...don't you)...the best thing NWN is good for is because one can create their own material and their own modules and adventures from it...I love it for that.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Patchfur

• Ensign
The One True Light
« Reply #122 on: July 14, 2004, 02:16:25 pm »
Hello, been a while since I look in around here.

I figured I would drop by and see what is up.  Saw Harle's post and could not help myself.  I agree with his points completely, but I feel that there is another reason why people voted with their feet on the sequence of games. 

As Taldren strayed further and further from the one true guiding light of SFB, the faithful could not find the path, strayed, and became lost.  Those who have eyes should see, those who have ears should hear.  I say unto you:  this is a just punishment for a lost people who have turned their backs on the source of their joy!

Just look at what has become of the J series!  An entire section of SFB scripture blasphemed.

But I have faith!  I believe!  One day, a saviour will come.  One who will fulfill the prophecy!  After a time wandering in the wilderness, we will be saved by a PC game that is faithful to SFB scripture.  And all will be well in heaven and on planet.

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #123 on: July 14, 2004, 08:25:09 pm »
Now I'm dizzy.  I really liked SFC1 and 2.  Both ran perfectly out of the box for me.  It was deep into the patches before I could play SFC3.  I never did get around to finishing it.  I mean I bought the game, waited six months to install it because I figured it would take that long for a patch and it still didn't work.

I have to say I really thought Taldren went astray when they moved away from SFB /TOS (loosely anyway) to TNG.
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."