Topic: Karma on the Black Market? The Karma Sub Game  (Read 7581 times)

Offline _Rondo_GE The OutLaw

• Commodore
Karma on the Black Market? The Karma Sub Game
« on: July 09, 2004, 05:08:45 pm »
Just a thought.  I got my first negative karma points the other day. 

Since then my whole life has changed.  I felt depressed.  What did I say?  Who have I offended?  I will make amends...I swear....I'll do anything....(sob). :'(

Or perhaps I have been hanging out in the wrong threads?  Ya, that must be it.  Been hanging out in the wrong threads, the back alleys of the forum, raising hell... :drink:

Or perhaps I was struck by a Karma Troll.  Maybe there are just people who are lurkers.  They don't post or nuthin, just give out negatvie Karma. :(

But then if there are Karma Trolls it logically stands that there are Karma Pixies, dudes who dole out gobs of positive karma.  Who are they anyway? :o

Perhaps there is some kind of karma guerilla warfare going on...Trolls vs Pixies...it's mind boggling...

Or perhaps negative karma is a sign of manhood, y'know...everyone needs a little manly negative karma...YOU BAD...Low negative karma might mean your a sissy.... :-*

WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN!!!!!!

The systems reminds me a little of SL.   I remember being just a newbie and having played only a few games.  Anyway one day I plopted into meyfleet room and my rank 10 Admiral Sssazzix was going like beserk over the fact that some dude had given him a 1/1 after he whopped up on some dude.  The dude had lied and told him hre had been given a 5/5 :) ...  man Ssazz was going crazy when he checked out his real grades ..;  he must have popped in and out of the room like 10 times in 5 minutes ...hehe...I thought the dude was gonna have a heart attack.

Perhaps the solution should be to show in the same manner negative and positive karma that has been dispensed as in given out.

For example my score would be 0 / 0...I don't even know where the karma button is.  Now if someone started showing up with a 0 / 20 then I guess you might be safe to assume that that was a Karma Troll...and of course a 20 / 0 would make you a Karma Pixie. 

I think it would be a fascinating experiment.  Would a Karma Pixie be able to flame someone without getting rebutted with negative karma?  Would a Karma Troll get flame karma?s even if they posted polite and well thought out posts?  Would you want to post on a thread started by a Karma Troll or a Karma Pixie?

Perhaps someday someone will hack into this karma thing and start selling it on the black market?  We will all line up with PMs begging for our daily fix... 

Ahhh...the mysteries of karma... (sob)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 05:33:23 pm by Rondo_GE »

Offline Sethan

• Justiciar
  • Captain
Re: Karma on the Black Market? The Karma Sub Game
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 05:52:23 pm »
What I would like to see is posts being rated rather than posters, and a poster's Karma coming from how many posts they have that got to a certain positive (or negative) value.  Unfortunately, the Forum software isn't set up to allow that.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. --Aristotle

Offline Dichotomous

• Is bad karma from bad people good?
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 06:05:56 pm »
As it is now, the only thing that the plus minus Karma thing shows is how right or left leaning this BBS is.

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 06:21:39 pm »
As it is now, the only thing that the plus minus Karma thing shows is how right or left leaning this BBS is.

Well there!!!   I am now a Karma Pixie!!!!!!

hehe

uh oh now I have to change my post.  My Pixie/Troll score is 2 / 0

Well potentially people in the middle should get higher positives than negatives.  People on the extremes or at least to the right and left should get high positives and negatives.

But then what about the occasional person with high negatives? 

Spending tooooo much time on the modelers forum!!!!

(oopps)  JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Actually when SL was around I would have liked to see the output scores from players because that was as big a parameter of who you wanted to play or avoid playing as the input scores.

The "star" system seemd to get old at Taldren Seth.  After while people just stopped doing it.  Maybe that was good.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 08:52:33 am »
I think people stopped using the stars at Taldren because...

A)  We ran out of regulars to rate.  :D
B)  They took out the system because one of thier buddies was getting really bad ratings, thus you just couldn't use it at that point.  (Bring on my first negative points! ;))

Anyhow, I think this system is interesting, and better than the star system, because you get to see how many positive votes, and how many negative votes.   I think the real problem is that you can't change your vote on someone can you?  I mean what if everyone involved in a spat and had given negatives reconciled and now wanted to give positive?  Or for that matter what if you gave positive ratings and someone suddenly went nuts and started doing bad things and you wanted to change it to a negative?

Didn't Starfleetcomms have some kind of user rating system?   Can't remember exactly, but didn't it tell you who rated you how, and would even allow them to comment or something?  I don't think you could really give someone a negative star, could you?  You could always give them a scathing review in the commentary, along with 1 or no stars though.  Sometimes I miss my space at Starfleetcomms and talking to Max, but the times are always achangin'.  Onward and upward!

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 01:51:33 am »

A)  We ran out of regulars to rate.  :D
B)  They took out the system because one of thier buddies was getting really bad ratings, thus you just couldn't use it at that point.  (Bring on my first negative points! ;))

Anyhow, I think this system is interesting, and better than the star system, because you get to see how many positive votes, and how many negative votes.   I think the real problem is that you can't change your vote on someone can you?  I mean what if everyone involved in a spat and had given negatives reconciled and now wanted to give positive?  Or for that matter what if you gave positive ratings and someone suddenly went nuts and started doing bad things and you wanted to change it to a negative?

Didn't Starfleetcomms have some kind of user rating system?   Can't remember exactly, but didn't it tell you who rated you how, and would even allow them to comment or something?  I don't think you could really give someone a negative star, could you?  You could always give them a scathing review in the commentary, along with 1 or no stars though.  Sometimes I miss my space at Starfleetcomms and talking to Max, but the times are always achangin'.  Onward and upward!

Heh, sounds like Amazon.com

Offline Gambler

• Lt. Commander
  • Don't bet on it
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 12:13:16 pm »

You can't remove that vote, but you can add additional votes either + or -.
I'm a Man
But I can change
If I have to
I guess

WWJKD - What Would Jim Kirk Do

I thank God I grew up in an age when a kid could still play with things that could put his eye out.

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 12:25:29 pm »

You can't remove that vote, but you can add additional votes either + or -.

Well perhaps they will now consider something different.  Kortez will be looking into what the capabilities the forum software has.

Offline interloper

• DAZED AND CONFUSED, SNAFU
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • mines are loaded and the motor is redlined
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 12:58:17 pm »
okay so how do u rate someone and how do u get rated?   :-[
Remembering U of I #40, Always in our hearts and minds
"don't think you understand what I told you until I tell you what you understand! Do you understand what I am saying?"
OF ALL THINGS LOST I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.......    ?

"What is the vector victor?"
"Rodger, roger."
"I picked a helluva day to quit drinking"

ITS ALL MIND OVER MATTER, IF YOU DON'T MIND IT DON'T MATTER

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 01:11:29 pm »
okay so how do u rate someone and how do u get rated?   :-[

Hehe actually I didn't know how to do that myself until I started seeing these numbers appearing beneath my name as positives and negatives then started this thread.

Look at your name that appears on any of your posts on the leftr hand side.  You will see your name, something you have said about yourself (optional), your rank and a rank button, a space or something else and then your Karma.

Now if you look below Karma from anyone else but you you will see two hyperlinks named [enaged] [belay that]

If you push one of those buttons you will be dispensing "karma" of one kind or another.

[enaged] = positive
[belay that]= negative

...and you won't be able to "take it back" if you press the wrong one or nullify it by hitting the other number for 12 hours.

Also if you are on the Hot and Spicey forum here is a toipic on it

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163343481.0.html

Offline interloper

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2004, 01:27:12 pm »
I don't see the links
"don't think you understand what I told you until I tell you what you understand! Do you understand what I am saying?"

"Rodger, roger."

Offline The_Joker

• Lt.
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2004, 01:34:18 pm »
You don't have the option until you reach 50 posts.
"Look at him now, poor fellow. That's what a dose of reality does for you... Never touch the stuff myself, you understand. Find it gets in the way of the hallucinations."

• Commodore
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2004, 03:25:15 pm »
You don't have the option until you reach 50 posts.

Sorry.  I didn't know that.  Well 9 more to go!  You earn 1 karma pixie for your service to this thread Jokes!

Ravok

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2004, 03:27:39 pm »
 Pssst, Pssst Hey man, Want to buy some black market Karma. ;D

Offline GE-Raven

• Lord God Emperor for Life of the Taldren SETI Group
  • D.Net VIP
  • Commander
  • The cause of AND solution to life's problems
    • Raven's Nest
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2004, 04:19:43 pm »
Pssst, Pssst Hey man, Want to buy some black market Karma. ;D

Well I am currently buying Karma at the rate of 100 WUs per click. 

;D

GE-Raven

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2004, 04:21:54 pm »
You don't need Wu's Raven To Get Positive karma, Your Good enough on your own Bro.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline GE-Raven

• Lord God Emperor for Life of the Taldren SETI Group
  • D.Net VIP
  • Commander
  • The cause of AND solution to life's problems
    • Raven's Nest
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2004, 04:25:34 pm »
You don't need Wu's Raven To Get Positive karma, Your Good enough on your own Bro.

Stephen

O.K. how about 10,000 for someone to hunt down the *#*(*#&@$$  that keep clicking on the negative side.   ;D

:-*

Actually... I know that if the people who really do like each other and considered each other friends made it a point to click the positive karma of their buddies every day.... well we would have a lot of people with a CRAPLOAD of positive karma.  However I think it is all pretty much funny.  I mean it must be way off as I know EVERYBODY loves me.

GE-Raven

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2004, 04:30:13 pm »

Stephen

O.K. how about 10,000 for someone to hunt down the *#*(*#&@$$  that keep clicking on the negative side.   ;D

Actually... I know that if the people who really do like each other and considered each other friends made it a point to click the positive karma of their buddies every day.... well we would have a lot of people with a CRAPLOAD of positive karma.  However I think it is all pretty much funny.  I mean it must be way off as I know EVERYBODY loves me.

GE-Raven

Heh, I think It's funny. I haven't recieved any - Karma since Water Tiger was banned this week. I know I did get -3 from TheJudge, but that was all in Jest I think. Seriously, I could Care less about the Whole Karma thing. I know who my friends are, and the only thing It alerts me to Is If I get out of line.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline interloper

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2004, 04:38:52 pm »
SUREEEEE get me alll hot and bothered and i still got 9 more posts to go

lol

"Rodger, roger."

Ravok

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2004, 04:50:43 pm »

Stephen

GE-Raven

Raven i didn't even notice until you said some thing, Thats all F##ked up!!  >:(
 Here is one to counter the bastiches. :)  Its probably somebody that resents your success on the SETI program or some thing equally petty. :P

Don't take this wrong, But your not that big of a jerk. :)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2004, 05:07:29 pm »

Heh, I think It's funny. I haven't recieved any - Karma since Water Tiger was banned this week. I know I did get -3 from TheJudge, but that was all in Jest I think. Seriously, I could Care less about the Whole Karma thing. I know who my friends are, and the only thing It alerts me to Is If I get out of line.

Stephen

I am disappointed that happened, WT's "poop disturbing" activity often had positive results and initiated good debate on issues important to the game. Yes, he could be abrasive but was keen on the game and seemed a good fellow at heart to me. I hope he is given a second chance after a cooling down period. I realise he overreacted to the karma business, its funny, I was just going to come and click his positive karma until it balanced today as a show of good faith and to ameliorate his angst. I kind of think we need to have a few house "poop disturbers"...

p.s.: its not me giving Raven negative karma, we don't often agree but I respect his opinions and long term involvement in the community

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2004, 05:33:18 pm »
That's Very Kind of You Bonk. and I appreciate what you said there. Actually I think I've given a total of -3 Karma in my whole stay. None of which where directed to My Usual adversaries.

Stephen

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2004, 10:15:11 pm »
I believe that this is my 50th post.

Off to smite the evil doers.

checks list of who is ahead of me in SETI
                                                                                                                                                                    begin operation Dragonbane                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Just kidding Dragon :lol:

Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2004, 10:17:23 pm »
Uhm, I always gave you Positive Karma Nem. Just a reminder.

<Snicker>

Stephen

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2004, 10:26:10 pm »
Uhm, I always gave you Positive Karma Nem. Just a reminder.

<Snicker>

Stephen

You posted while I went through the thread giving positive karma to people.  Not everyone, just those I have had above average encounters with in the past.

No smiting yet:) 

I expect that I will smite very rarely and only after I calm down from whatever angered me enough to smite in the first place.  I prefer positive reinforcement to negative. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2004, 10:37:59 pm »
This Karma thing seems entirely too silly. 

It is too bad about not being able to rate threads though. 

Random thought of how much spam gets put up here by people who want to have enough posts to dispense karma.
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."

Offline interloper

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2004, 10:50:38 pm »
3 good and 1 bad ...ask and ye shall recieve
2 left  lol

"Rodger, roger."

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2004, 10:51:00 pm »
This Karma thing seems entirely too silly. 

It is too bad about not being able to rate threads though. 

Random thought of how much spam gets put up here by people who want to have enough posts to dispense karma.

Good Question, I gave you a Karma Point for that.

stephen

Offline The_Joker

• Lt.
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2004, 10:57:39 pm »
What do you mean?  I'd not think of such a thing!

OH yeah...BTW......

heh heh heh........
"Look at him now, poor fellow. That's what a dose of reality does for you... Never touch the stuff myself, you understand. Find it gets in the way of the hallucinations."

• Commodore
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2004, 01:46:35 am »

Stephen

GE-Raven

And now it starts.  O the shame...

::)

Offline TheSatyr

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2004, 03:44:31 pm »
I feel like we are Miss America contestants with the Karma system.

I've known for years that some people don't like me,so I don't need no stinkin' negative Karma thingy. ;D

(Though it is better than getting whapped over the head repeatedly by a disgruntled poster I suppose.  ;D )
"As George Lucas says, the movies are Gospel, and everything else is Gossip".

Offline interloper

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2004, 12:46:03 pm »
So what r u saying?  I'm not cute enough for a Miss America
pagent?   Hmmm...... :o

"Rodger, roger."

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2004, 08:26:17 pm »
The Karma gods are jealous and petty for they smite for almost no reason at all. That's why I had them all shot for insolence. Under the new Punisher Karma system instead of karma everyone gets machine guns. If someone tries to give you negative karma, you get 5 seconds of "free-fire" time.

If the bullet-riddled corpse can still manage to use it's bloody stumps to move the mouse and give you negative karma...well that's a persistant bastard and he's earned the right to smite you --- well in the internet form that doesn't result in anything --- but still that's important to some people.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

• Commodore
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2004, 12:28:44 pm »
The Karma gods are jealous and petty for they smite for almost no reason at all. That's why I had them all shot for insolence. Under the new Punisher Karma system instead of karma everyone gets machine guns. If someone tries to give you negative karma, you get 5 seconds of "free-fire" time.

If the bullet-riddled corpse can still manage to use it's bloody stumps to move the mouse and give you negative karma...well that's a persistant bastard and he's earned the right to smite you --- well in the internet form that doesn't result in anything --- but still that's important to some people.

ouch.

• Commodore
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2004, 12:41:48 pm »
I feel like we are Miss America contestants with the Karma system.

I've known for years that some people don't like me,so I don't need no stinkin' negative Karma thingy. ;D

(Though it is better than getting whapped over the head repeatedly by a disgruntled poster I suppose.  ;D )

You always run into someone who don't like you.  That's just life.

My only real suggestion here, other than giving people a place to vent, is tyo display the giving end of this equation as well as the receiving.  This way we know who the real good guys are from the bad guys.  That's completes the circle and creates the truth of the "event". 

I'm not sure why we have Karma but I have a good guess.  I think it was put in place to help moderate discussions and prevent flame wars.

...well it hasn't exactly worked.  Perhaps a little.  Perhaps it will work a little more if we find out who the Trolls are.  That type of person might not be good to engage in an argument be it because they are over sensitive or just a bad guy.

It might also serve to make us all more tolerant.  I would imagine that a "Karma Pixie" might be looked at slightly differently even if he had bad Karma himself.  People might be more likely to listen to what they have to say and seek a dialogue rather than just "reacting".

Anyway I have not seen any feedback from Kortez on that capability.

Offline interloper

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2004, 01:45:58 pm »
opinions are like the hole in our posterior, everyone thinks there's
is great and should be shared by all, everyone else thinks it stinks.

karma follows the same pattern

"Rodger, roger."

Offline Byzantine

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2004, 07:42:02 pm »
I doubt the forum software supports it but...  It would be nice if right under a persons Karma received counter was another pair of counters for Karma +/- given.  Then we would know the Karma fairies and trolls.

Offline TheSatyr

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2004, 01:20:03 am »
*Wonders if ya win anything if you ever get over 100+ Karma*

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2004, 02:27:26 am »
Yes the good Karma tote bag...and the comfortable knowledge that all the best people in the world are eventually crushed for that fact.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline TheSatyr

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2004, 02:25:34 am »
Just make sure your Karma doesn't run over my Dogma.  ;D

Offline Gambler

• Lt. Commander
  • Don't bet on it
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2004, 11:47:24 am »

Sorry but I am duty bound to give - karma to anybody who uses that particular phrase.    :police:
I'm a Man
But I can change
If I have to
I guess

I thank God I grew up in an age when a kid could still play with things that could put his eye out.

• Commodore
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2004, 03:02:37 pm »

lol.

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2004, 01:42:44 am »

Sorry but I am duty bound to give - karma to anybody who uses that particular phrase.    :police:

Just make sure your Karma doesn't run over my Dogma.

(all users feel free to join him in giving me negative karma, PLEASE!)  I must beat WT's negative total.  Thanks!
He who can master the data controls the world.

• Commodore
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2004, 01:53:32 am »

(all users feel free to join him in giving me negative karma, PLEASE!)  I must beat WT's negative total.  Thanks!

Sorry Judge I'm a pixie in this thread....

;D

This is kind of like the soup Kitchen...

Offline Gambler

• Lt. Commander
  • Don't bet on it
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2004, 08:39:10 am »

FINE!  I gave you a negative Karma for that.  Satisfied?
I'm a Man
But I can change
If I have to
I guess

• Commodore
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2004, 11:22:41 am »

FINE!  I gave you a negative Karma for that.  Satisfied?
\]

Hmmm....

sounds liek what we need is a "self-Karma" button.

But instead of giving negative or positive Karma pushing the "self-Karma" button fills one with a sense of well-being and good will toward everyone...

;D