Topic: TOS in Enterprise is now all the rage  (Read 1424 times)

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
TOS in Enterprise is now all the rage
« on: July 23, 2004, 02:16:15 pm »
A bit of cross posting, I wanted to snip and highlight.  I took this from Scot Bennie on Ten Forward.

Hee's the full link

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163344135.0.html

The new showrunner on STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE is taking the series back to its roots -- namely, drawing on ideas from THE ORIGINAL SERIES and expanding upon the rich mythology of the long-running science fiction franchise in order to develop stories for ENTERPRISE's fourth season.

<snip>

"What I really wanted to do this season is make the episodes that I as a Star Trek fan would have to see," Coto is quoted as saying on the official STAR TREK website. "You know, as a fan of the original series, if I heard that they were doing the Orion slavers and the Eugenics Wars, I would have to be in front of that TV."

To achieve that Coto and the writing team are assembling short, self-contained story arcs that will last two or three episodes in length. One will see Brent Spiner play Arik Soong, the great-grandfather of Data's creator Dr. Noonian Soong. However, the earlier relative of Data's isn't a good guy at all; he's considered one of Earth's most notorius criminals on a level that Coto compared to "Hannibal Lecter." The reason for Arik Soong's infamy has to do with the Eugenics Wars, that tantalizing era in STAR TREK mythology that supposedly took place in the 1990s and which saw

<snip>

The ship will travel to a new region of space called the Borderland, which seems to serve as a buffer between the Klingon Empire and the Orion Syndicate...yes, the same Orion Syndicate that brought us the notorious and scantily clad green-skinned Orion Slave Girls in THE ORIGINAL SERIES. And yes, they will make their appearance next season on ENTERPRISE.

More surprises abound including ... the conclusion of the Temporal Cold War arc within the first three episodes of season four, whether William Shatner will make an appearance on ENTERPRISE and who or what the identity of the Sulibans' "Future Guy" may or may not be.

How come all of a sudden ENTERPRISE is paying such close and faithful attention to its past history, especially for a show that seemed to play fast and loose with established TREK continuity during its first two seasons? "Well, first and foremost, I bring a passionate love of all things STAR TREK," Coto explains. "I've loved STAR TREK since I was a little kid. When Star Trek Communicator magazine was doing a little article on me, I went through my box of old photos, and I found a shot of me at age 11 watching STAR TREK on TV, with a picture of Spock on the screen. In that same box I found a comic book that I had written ? I must have written this when I was 10 ? and it was a STAR TREK comic book, with 'Beam me up Scotty' and all this. And I realized, 'Oh my God, I've been doing this my entire life." Coto also admits to having watched all past STAR TREK series including THE NEXT GENERATION, DEEP SPACE NINE and VOYAGER.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell
-----------------------------------------

Offline airBiscuit

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: TOS in Enterprise is now all the rage
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 02:54:14 pm »
Dude.  The captain's definitely on-deck.   :)

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 07:09:24 pm »
Hey, just be happy that Coto actually "wants" to gear the next season on past events of TOS.  Enteprise may not be exactly like TOS, but I'm willing to live by the fact that this is an alternate Timeline with more similarities then differences. 

We will just have to wait and see if Coto can do a better job.  Cross your fingers.   ::)
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline Chris SI

• Gone again
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 05:19:14 am »
He showed he can write last year.

Man, things are looking good finally!
Taldren poster known as FFZ