Topic: Why The Week Long Campaign Is A Pile Of Crap  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Azrael

• Lt. Junior Grade
Why The Week Long Campaign Is A Pile Of Crap
« on: July 15, 2004, 10:22:48 pm »
Hello ladies and gents.

I'm here to rant about one of my biggest pet peeves.

Specifically the "Week Long Campaign".

The SFC III Community seems to break down into two seperate groups:

The Gainfully Employed, and the Unemployed.

The downside to this, is that the Unemployed, many of whom make up the "nutter base" of players, seem to be steering the Community towards these fast little "flash in the pan" campaigns.

To the unemployed nutter, these campaigns are a great way to spend 7 days.  However, to the Gainfully Employed, such campaigns are a boring nuisance.

While the unemployed nutter is able to gain over a hundred hours of gaming out of a week long campaign, the Gainfully Employed are restricted by obligations such as work, that really eat into campaign time.  Especially if the campaign is a swift one.

Also, while we all love a "bit of depth" to the game, the unemployed nutters seem to be designing intensively complex short campaigns with ever shifting VC's.  While this is great if you can stay at home and play all day, if your gaming is restricted to a few hours a day, because of nuisances like a job, or a life, this can be quite awkward and difficult to follow.

For the Gainfully Employed, such campaigns are almost pointless, since you are only able to commit a small amount of time to a campaign that is over almost as soon as it began.

It should be noted that the Gainfully Employed, outnumber the unemployed nutters.  However, the unemployed nutters are far more vocal on the Forum Boards because when they're not playing SFC III, eating, sleeping or having a wee, they are posting on the Forum Boards, which become a very deep and involved part of the unemployed nutter's life.

The Gainfully Employed like to play too.

Beleive it or not, the SFC III Community is actually secretely growing, as people playing "Freelancer" begin to ask themselves what all this talk about "DOMWARS" is about, provoking sufficient interest for more than a few of them to seek out SFC III for themselves.  (Why DOMWARS?  Because it's going up next week so people have been discussing it.  Could easily have been any of the others).

So I'm not saying let's do away with the "week long campaign".  I'm just saying, let's remember that not everyone is an unemployed nutter, and we would love to be able to play something that lasted a little longer.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Who's yer pal?

Azrael

p.s.

Just because someone is an "unemployed nutter" does not mean they're a "deadbeat".  Some people are unemployed nutters because they're financially secure, and don't need to work.  Lots of people have lots of reasons.  I'm not judging them.  Just week long campaigns.
"And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not"

Offline The Pelican

• DomWars Creator
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Dominion Wars
Re: Why The Week Long Campaign Is A Pile Of Crap
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 05:24:27 am »
You'll like the next DW camp then Azrael, 28 days long, split into 2 14 day segments. No Map reset in between, everything starts exactly as you left it. (the break is because players start to get cranky after about 10 days, that's when all the arguments start to break out)

Offline Mysterio

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 08:29:53 am »
Hello ladies and gents.

I'm here to rant about one of my biggest pet peeves.

Specifically the "Week Long Campaign".

The SFC III Community seems to break down into two seperate groups:

The Gainfully Employed, and the Unemployed.

The downside to this, is that the Unemployed, many of whom make up the "nutter base" of players, seem to be steering the Community towards these fast little "flash in the pan" campaigns.

To the unemployed nutter, these campaigns are a great way to spend 7 days.  However, to the Gainfully Employed, such campaigns are a boring nuisance.

While the unemployed nutter is able to gain over a hundred hours of gaming out of a week long campaign, the Gainfully Employed are restricted by obligations such as work, that really eat into campaign time.  Especially if the campaign is a swift one.

Also, while we all love a "bit of depth" to the game, the unemployed nutters seem to be designing intensively complex short campaigns with ever shifting VC's.  While this is great if you can stay at home and play all day, if your gaming is restricted to a few hours a day, because of nuisances like a job, or a life, this can be quite awkward and difficult to follow.

For the Gainfully Employed, such campaigns are almost pointless, since you are only able to commit a small amount of time to a campaign that is over almost as soon as it began.

It should be noted that the Gainfully Employed, outnumber the unemployed nutters.  However, the unemployed nutters are far more vocal on the Forum Boards because when they're not playing SFC III, eating, sleeping or having a wee, they are posting on the Forum Boards, which become a very deep and involved part of the unemployed nutter's life.

The Gainfully Employed like to play too.

Beleive it or not, the SFC III Community is actually secretely growing, as people playing "Freelancer" begin to ask themselves what all this talk about "DOMWARS" is about, provoking sufficient interest for more than a few of them to seek out SFC III for themselves.  (Why DOMWARS?  Because it's going up next week so people have been discussing it.  Could easily have been any of the others).

So I'm not saying let's do away with the "week long campaign".  I'm just saying, let's remember that not everyone is an unemployed nutter, and we would love to be able to play something that lasted a little longer.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Who's yer pal?

Azrael

p.s.

Just because someone is an "unemployed nutter" does not mean they're a "deadbeat".  Some people are unemployed nutters because they're financially secure, and don't need to work.  Lots of people have lots of reasons.  I'm not judging them.  Just week long campaigns.

Try adding 2 kids to take care of and a house to maintain on top of a full time job. That's when it gets frustrating when campaigns are specifically designed for the nutters. That's why I pulled out of the last Unity camp when it was only half done. Campaigns are just not designed for us part timers. Hopefully the next Dom Wars will be a different.

Offline F9thRyker

• Pimp
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • If it has a pulse, does it have a phone number...?
    • http://www.9thfleet.com
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 11:39:16 am »
Litterbox 5 (thats running right now for D2 and D3 simultaneously) is a 3 week long camp- you should try it! :)

The four most powerful men in the galaxy:

The President of the United Federation of Planets...
The Chancellor of the Klingon Empire...The Praetor of the Romulan Star Empire...

...and the Captain of a Federation Starship...

Offline Azrael

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 12:36:18 pm »
I'd be on Litterbox if I wasn't moving House pretty much right now.

Azrael
"And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not"