Topic: Can some of you computer guys recomend good books for beginners?  (Read 3583 times)

Ravok

As i have stated numerous times i am a PC moron. I know how to read my email load programs and do only the easiest driver down loads.

Can any of you much more learned people recommend good books, On how to use the darn things? Written in English not tecnobabble.
 I really would ,love to learn how to open and modify game files, and start modelling
One of my Horses shattered my ankle and i have a ton of time on my hands. And i figure now is a good time to start.

Thanks for your help and suggestions :) :) :)
 Mike N (Ravok)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: Can some of you computer guys recomend good books for beginners?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 10:45:38 am »
My suggestion: no books.
"Don't think, just do."
Experience is the best teacher.
Play with it until you break it, then try and fix it, if you can't, start again.
Kind of in the spirit of Red Green's fixit motto:"If it ain't broke, you're doing something wrong!"
I approach a computer problem much like I would a dissection.

Work on your own computer, not someone else's which will hold you back. (i.e.: you need a "no-fear" situation to learn effectively)

Read the help files for everything (mostly the OS itself), search for answers to particular questions online.
Read all your hardware manuals carefully. If you don't have manuals for your system (for all components, particularly the mainboard), get a better one, or better yet build it yourself. Hang out at the local computer shops and make friends with the clerks and technicians, compare what they say at different places... some people get some pretty baked misconceptions you have to watch out for.

I know that doesn't really answer your question, but its my opinion.

Offline Iceman

• 1st Lieutenant
  • Lt.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 11:23:33 am »
I would suggest the same thing. Also, make backup copies of everything you're editing. For instance, in Star Trek Birth of the Federation the shiplist I wanted to edit was in stbotf.res (a type of zip). To I would rename one to stbotf.res.bak and another to stboth.zip so i could edit it. This way is I ever really messed it up, I could just rename the .bak one.
I believe this belongs to you. -Commander Sheehan to Imperial Captain Smithy
"Wedge, it's amazing how deceptive you can be without actually lying." -Tycho Celchu

Ravok

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 11:33:22 am »
No offence honestly!! :) :) :) But there in lies the problem i didn't under stand a thing you just said.
I don't even know how to open a file, Or where to start.

I honestly don't know any thing, and its driving me nuts!!! I am a pretty good artist and would love to start modeling.

Plus they have all of those wonderfull mods out there allready and i don't know what they are,  or what they do. :-[ :( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 02:50:37 pm »
Maybe taking a class at the local community college would be a good idea? You'd probably get more out of it than just reading a book, for about the same price... Ideally find a friend who can come over and walk you through all the basics - no question is silly...

Maybe these will help?:
http://www.learnthat.com/courses/computer/windows/
http://www.mum.edu/helpdesk/beginners/win-beg.html
http://support.gateway.com/support/manlib/Desktops/8508550/08550toc.htm
http://www.palomar.edu/at/wintrain/
http://www.jsmusic.org.uk/it_skills/index.html
http://members.aol.com/shobansen3/
http://www.geekgirls.com/menu_winguides.htm

A knowledgable friend who can help one on one is the best bet... there is always the "dummies" series of books which some find helpful...

Ravok

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 03:02:34 pm »
Thanks Bonk! :) :) :) :thumbsup:
 I was going to take some classes, but i can't get around very well at all right now. ( I'm stuck in a wheel chair until they take the pins out.) I figured i would get a little head start by reading up first.
 Hopefully these will keep me occupied. :)

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 03:14:55 pm »
I've used computers as a power user since I was a little kid, although I am byu no means an expert.  What I would say is this:  depending on how well you learn, be careful what kind of computer course you take.  I am required to take a course called Introduction to computers if I want to get a degree in accounting.  Some on the taldren boards suggested i test out, which I was reluctant to do.  In the end, it wasn't even an option, i learned, because the teacher of the course won't even consider letting me test out unless i can prove that I constantly use windows XP, MS office XP (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Access) and can prove expertise in each program prior to testing.  Now, I've used each of these programs at least once- I can even remember using the first version of Office, and had been taught word processors, spreadsheats and databases since I was 6 (one of the few things my school district did well), but this is besides the point.  Since I never bothered to learn the shortcuts for these programs, and sometimes take a few minutes to funble through to remember the nuances of MS Office (my primary program for this stuff is Appleworks) I can have no expertise, and therefore will not be allowed to test out.  
Here's the real catch: the teacher has the idea that since the catalog says we should study a minimum of 15 hours per week for this class, she has taken it upon herself to make sure that even the most learned student in this area will studdy the minimum amount and then some.  Case in point: one student this last week spent more than 40 hours on the weekend trying to finish the homework for our first week.
COmputer courses are only as good as the teacher, and if you know nothing about the teacher, you know nothing of the course.
I first started learning computers on a Mac.  macintosh, unlike most PC vendors, provided a thourough manual with an excellent glossary and index which allowed me to learn things well at my own pace and in my own way.  Add to that that Macs had a built in interactive help system in the OS that i could use to learn how to do things- something that PCs didn't have at the time.
These days, however, PC, while they don't have much in the line of manuals, DO have an excellent system built into the OS in the start menu labelled "Help" that will teach you much.  SUe this, it will help you leanr your OS, and that is the basis of using a computer- knowing your OS.  
CK

But tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or fix this hole in a mother's son?
Can you heal the broken worlds within?
Can you strip away so we may start again?
Tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or cut this rope and let us run?
Just when all seems fine, and I'm pain free, you jab another pin,
Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Ravok

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 03:24:53 pm »
 :) Thanks Clark! :) :) :) :thumbsup: I will give that a whirl tonite and see if i can fianally get on the Dyna2.

Offline Iceman

• 1st Lieutenant
  • Lt.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 10:20:49 pm »
Also, look around the game-specific sites. That's how I learned to edit my Birth of the Federation game, anyways. I mean, I know we're not being much help, but this isn't the modelers forum either. Try this same post there, if you haven't already.
"Wedge, it's amazing how deceptive you can be without actually lying." -Tycho Celchu

Ravok

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 10:22:36 pm »
 Never thought about that Iceman. Thanks :)

Offline Iceman

• 1st Lieutenant
  • Lt.
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2004, 11:24:46 pm »
Am I your personal assistant now? lol you're welcome, it was no problem.

Offline kmelew

• "From the Place of the Hops-Growers"
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2004, 11:34:12 pm »
Maybe taking a class at the local community college would be a good idea? You'd probably get more out of it than just reading a book, for about the same price... Ideally find a friend who can come over and walk you through all the basics - no question is silly...

I taught for a little while at the local vo-tech.  Besides having an instuctor present, an advantage of a classroom environment is that often times you and you fellow students work as a team to solve your problems. 

At a vo-tech or a community college students come from all walks of live--young and old.  So you shouldn't feel afraid or "stupid."  After all your fellow students are in the same boat as you are, or else they wouldn't be there!
"I'm Kmelew, and I approve this post."

Offline Iceman

• 1st Lieutenant
  • Lt.
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2004, 12:12:37 am »
It was the same mini-team in my senior visual basic/c++ class. We had the 'better' team (the smarter kids), we worked alone and the 'regular' team who did the regular work and such. We just flew through everything and did some cool stuff on the side.

My point is, don't worry about your past experience. There is always somone else who's at the same level.