Topic: Help from Max Modelers needed... :(  (Read 2376 times)

Offline Sapharite

• El-Aurian
  • Lt.
  • Refit Yard Commander
    • Refit Yard
Help from Max Modelers needed... :(
« on: July 21, 2004, 05:55:07 am »
I need to know if there is any way to reduce a number of mesh polys in MAX v4.2 (Example: I want to make a lower LOD of original mesh)??  :-\

Take care :)
Sapharite
=/\= Jimkirk =/\= (On Taldren Boards)
=/\= Kirk =/\= (Polish Division of the Starfleet)

Offline cmdr_kobosh

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Help from Max Modelers needed... :(
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 07:20:29 am »
there's a plugin that reduces polygons. more at mootools.com, but it's not freeware!
hope it helps u :)

Offline Sapharite

• El-Aurian
  • Lt.
  • Refit Yard Commander
    • Refit Yard
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 07:36:44 am »
Thank you  :)
Sapharite

Offline Wolfsglen

• Starship Mutilator
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 07:39:36 am »
The "MultiRes" tool in Max 5.1 always works well for me in dropping Polys, have a look in your options and see if 4.2 has it too.

Offline Sapharite

• El-Aurian
  • Lt.
  • Refit Yard Commander
    • Refit Yard
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 07:46:56 am »
I will check that as well later. Any other solutions?? Hmmm I'm going to make a LODs in some kitbashes. I've managed to clone the mesh to create three same like models, but now I need to lower amount of some polys to achieve a proper goal... What should I do else??

:)
Sapharite

Offline J-O-K-E-R

• Veteran Modeler since SFC 1
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Mars Station  A (NON-Canon) Shipyard & Research Facility
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 08:42:36 am »
thr "Optimize" Is what I was taught to use, might wanna try that also

Not related to "The_Joker"  :)

Offline J-O-K-E-R

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 08:50:48 am »
The "MultiRes" tool in Max 5.1 always works well for me in dropping Polys, have a look in your options and see if 4.2 has it too.

After looking into what you said about "multiRes", This is the only way to go.  :thumbsup:

Ya learn something every day.

Using the ship in the above pic, started out with 2918 polys, now using the Multires option, its 562  :o  Thats too cool, thanks dude  ;D

Offline Wolfsglen

• Starship Mutilator
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 09:13:18 am »
Yer welcome  ;D Consider that a returned favor for those superb vid tutorials you did, they helped me tons when i was first messing about with Max  :thumbsup:

"I've managed to clone the mesh to create three same like models, but now I need to lower amount of some polys to achieve a proper goal"

You can use the MultiRes for that too (I use it for LODs all the time) along with the clone tool,  just use it to lower the amount of polys for each mesh, EG:

Mesh 1 - original amount of polys
Mesh 2 - Use Multi Res and drop down to medium detail/polys (from 3000 to 1500 or 2000, for example)
Mesh 3 - Use Multi Res and drop down to low detail/polys  (From 3000 to 600, for example)

I can write you out the exact method i use to create LODs if ya need, just let me know and ill get one done today.

Offline Sapharite

• El-Aurian
  • Lt.
  • Refit Yard Commander
    • Refit Yard
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 09:18:55 am »
Thank you all ;

Live long and prosper ;D
Sapharite

Offline J-O-K-E-R

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 11:17:14 am »
Yer welcome  ;D Consider that a returned favor for those superb vid tutorials you did, they helped me tons when i was first messing about with Max  :thumbsup:

"I've managed to clone the mesh to create three same like models, but now I need to lower amount of some polys to achieve a proper goal"

You can use the MultiRes for that too (I use it for LODs all the time) along with the clone tool,  just use it to lower the amount of polys for each mesh, EG:

Mesh 1 - original amount of polys
Mesh 2 - Use Multi Res and drop down to medium detail/polys (from 3000 to 1500 or 2000, for example)
Mesh 3 - Use Multi Res and drop down to low detail/polys  (From 3000 to 600, for example)

I can write you out the exact method i use to create LODs if ya need, just let me know and ill get one done today.

I appreciate that, I do understand how the LODs work, But what I need to know is:

Do you just leave the LODs asthey are?
Because when I lowered the polys, the textures got all distorted.

Or do you retexture each LOD?

IMO: I thought I should retexture each LOD, using renders from the #1 model as textures.

Offline Sandman3D

• Lt. Commander
  • Outalance Shipyards
    • SEDL
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2004, 11:32:29 am »
Haven't tried the multires tool yet...gotta do it! ;D Would it be like with optimize in that after I optimize a mesh that's bee textured I have to remap the textures?
"Proudly you gathered, rank on rank to war,
As you heard God's message from afar;
All you had hoped for, all you had, you gave
To save mankind-yourself you scorned to save."

Offline Wolfsglen

• Starship Mutilator
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2004, 11:39:55 am »
I never touch the textures, they seem to work fine for me with just lowering the actual polys, no retexturing needed. What i do to create complete LOD's for models is the following: (This is working from a single MOD, apologies for it being a bit long)

1. Use "Select By Name" to choose the mod mesh (ignore the hardpoints) such as D5W_1

2. go to "Edit" then "Clone" then "OK" in the box

3. Go back to "Select By Name" and choose D5W_02

4. Go to "Modifiers" then "Mesh Editing" and choose "MultiRes"

5. Hit "Generate" and in the "Vert Count" box choose the new amount of polys (In this case it says 1478 - i set it to 800 for medium range LOD) and hit "Enter" on your keyboard

6. Go to "Edit" then "Clone" then "OK" in the box, this will clone the 800 poly model you just created

7. Go back to "Select By Name" and choose D5W_03 (Should already be selected, but make sure)

8. Hit "Generate" in the MultiRes parameters again  and in the "Vert Count" box choose an amount of polys for the long distance LOD (It will say 800 from the previous medium one, set it to 500 in the "Vert Count" box and hit "Enter" on keyboard again

9. Go to  "Select By Name" and Select everything, including hardpoints.

10. Now Export as a .MOD in the usual way, choose "No" for "Force Smoothing" and then "YES" for model with multiple levels of detail, in the options box that opens i usually find the default settings are perfectly fine, but make sure "Sort by Complexity" is the option selected (Usually is by default)

And thats it, a method which probably isnt perfect but has always worked reliably for me in creating LOD's for about 2 dozen models and kitbashes now. Sometimes the model may look messed up in the Max Render due to the LOD's, but look at it in ModViewer and it is usually perfectly good with no mesh problems or bleeding or texture glitches. (dont forget you can view the different LODs in ModViewer)  No remapping, no retexturing, it all works from the base MOD  ;D

And, of course as mentioned above, you dont have to use MultiRes just for LOD's, its useful as hell for lowering the Poly Count of single Meshes and Mods as well, just choose the Mod, select MultiRes, hit "Generate" and enter your new poly count just as i detailed above but without the Cloning stuff.

Offline J-O-K-E-R

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2004, 11:47:50 am »
OK, mabe mine looked like crap because I went from 2916 polys to 563   :rofl:

It looked like a black hole had opened up in the center of the ship  ;D

Offline Wolfsglen

• Starship Mutilator
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2004, 11:52:00 am »
Ouch yes thats a bit of a large drop hehe, that sort of number and cutting of Polys should be saved for LOD 3/Long Range.

Experiment with Poly numbers, MultiRes is extremely flexible. I usually drop each LOD by around a thousand when its a 3000 mod (3000 for close, 2000 for medium/LOD2 and 800-1000 for long range/LOD3) or by 200/300 when its a low poly model (800 for close, 600 for medium/LOD2 and 400 for long range/LOD3) But experimenting and using ModViewer to test the results is really the best option and way of getting to grips with it.

Offline J-O-K-E-R

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2004, 02:05:38 pm »
OK, here's one for ya.

When you export, & it asks to click YES for LOD, or NO for a standard model, I've always clicked no.
Now that I click yes, are there any adjustments that need to be made in the pop-up window?

Offline Wolfsglen

• Starship Mutilator
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2004, 02:32:10 pm »
Have a look at 10...

10. Now Export as a .MOD in the usual way, choose "No" for "Force Smoothing" and then "YES" for model with multiple levels of detail, in the options box that opens i usually find the default settings are perfectly fine, but make sure "Sort by Complexity" is the option selected (Usually is by default)

Hehehe   ;D

Offline Sapharite

• El-Aurian
  • Lt.
  • Refit Yard Commander
    • Refit Yard
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2004, 09:45:06 am »
Why should I choose "NO" fo "Force smoothing" ?? :o
Sapharite

Offline Wolfsglen

• Starship Mutilator
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2004, 10:32:00 am »
Because every model i have used "Force Smoothing" on ends up looking like sh*t next to the exact same model done WITHOUT it, to put it crudely lol.

Although it does vary from model to model, best way is to try it, export 2 copies of the exact same model, one with Force Smoothing and one without and compare them in 2 ModViewers open side by side. Some models wont show much difference, but others will and look worse for me with messed up shading/mesh parts in some cases too. Have a try with several completely different models to see if it works better for you than it does me, personally i dont like the effect it adds, and every 'bash i've released has looked fine without it.

Offline Wolfsglen

• Starship Mutilator
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2004, 10:45:01 am »
Heres a quick example of what i mean (Large pic im afraid) On the left is P81's Connie with NO "Forced Smoothing" while on the right is the same ship WITH "Forced Smoothing" - as you can see the Saucer becomes messed up slightly, and is uglier IMHO.

PIC: http://www.wolfsglen.freeserve.co.uk/example.jpg

Offline Sapharite

• El-Aurian
  • Lt.
  • Refit Yard Commander
    • Refit Yard
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2004, 10:57:29 am »
Oh now, then I will have a lot work do do. I was always clicking yes :( What have I done  :'(

Thank you anyway :D It made my day :D
Sapharite