Topic: THE RECIPE THREAD  (Read 87855 times)

Offline oldmanken

• Le Boss!
  • Lt.
THE RECIPE THREAD
« on: July 22, 2004, 08:01:47 am »
It's been request many time, so here it is...

If you have a recipe...post it here.
If you are looking for something to cook...find it here.
If you have an ingrediant you want to know how to use...ask it here.

It's THE RECIPE THREAD...it's pretty self explanatory!

(moderators, please be so kind as to sticky this one)
"Purgatory is kinda like the in-betweeny one. You weren't really sh*t, but you weren't all that great either. Like Tottenham." - Ray (Colin Farrell) in In Bruges

Offline oldmanken

• Le Boss!
  • Lt.
Re: THE RECIPE THREAD
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 08:04:56 am »
Ok, so I'll make the first request.

Some friends and I want to get together this weekend and cook up a big ol' scoff (meal).  I'm a curry lover, and suggested we cook some up, and my friend suggested using pork rather than the standard beef, chicken, or lamb.

Does anybody have a good pork curry recipe?  Or perhaps you have a prok recipe that has a bit of bite to it?  All suggestions are welcome.
"Purgatory is kinda like the in-betweeny one. You weren't really sh*t, but you weren't all that great either. Like Tottenham." - Ray (Colin Farrell) in In Bruges

Offline oldmanken

• Le Boss!
  • Lt.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 11:45:16 am »
Sorry folks, bumping this one...I needs me an answer.

*bump-diddily-ump*

Offline Khalee

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 11:52:32 am »
Never tried Curry and about the only pork I do Is sausage, pork chops, and or bacon.

But do a search for it, bet youll find all kinds of recipes for it.

Offline Grand Master of Shadows NCC37385

• Captain
  • 107th Confederate Militia! Sic Semper Tyrannis
    • Gun Kit Builders
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 12:03:36 pm »
1lb lean boneless pork, cut into 1 in. cubes
1 tsp. ground Coriander
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground saffron
2 Tbsp minced onion
1 tsp minced garlic
pinch of ground ginger
1 bay leaf
2 drops of lemon extract
1/2 inch piece of cinnamon stick
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp melted shortening
2 C water
(1 C first extract, 1 C second extract, is more is needed add second extract)
1 tsp lemon or lime juice
1 tsp ground mixed spices, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves

Mix all ingredients together, except water, lemon juice, and one tsp mixed spices and toss over pork. Put pork in saucepan and heat for ten minutes, or until and onion are golden brown and partly fried. Add water, cover and simmer for about 1 hour, or until gravy is thick and pork is tender. (Liquid should be reduced by 1/2). Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Remove from heat, add lemon juice, and immediately sprinkle surface of curry with 1 tsp. mixed spices. Serve with rice or other accompaniments. Makes 4 servings.

I'm God's gift to women!

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.-Robert A. Heinlein

Help control the idiot population. Have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Offline Khalee

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 12:06:56 pm »
1lb lean boneless pork, cut into 1 in. cubes
1 tsp. ground Coriander
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground saffron
2 Tbsp minced onion
1 tsp minced garlic
pinch of ground ginger
1 bay leaf
2 drops of lemon extract
1/2 inch piece of cinnamon stick
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp melted shortening
2 C water
(1 C first extract, 1 C second extract, is more is needed add second extract)
1 tsp lemon or lime juice
1 tsp ground mixed spices, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves

Mix all ingredients together, except water, lemon juice, and one tsp mixed spices and toss over pork. Put pork in saucepan and heat for ten minutes, or until and onion are golden brown and partly fried. Add water, cover and simmer for about 1 hour, or until gravy is thick and pork is tender. (Liquid should be reduced by 1/2). Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Remove from heat, add lemon juice, and immediately sprinkle surface of curry with 1 tsp. mixed spices. Serve with rice or other accompaniments. Makes 4 servings.

Sounds good Is it real spicy

• Captain
    • Gun Kit Builders
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 12:12:18 pm »
You can make it more or less to suit your tastes. Add or remove spices to suit. Good cooks taste of their food as it is cooking. If it needs more spice, just sprinkle it on. If its too spicey, dip some out.

I'm God's gift to women!

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline oldmanken

• Le Boss!
  • Lt.
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 12:18:53 pm »
That sounds quite good, and pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

I'll have to make some modifications, as a few ingrediants are impossible to get around here.  Saffron is hard to come by, and I'll have to use ground cinnamon instead of a 1/2 inch stick (unless we have some hiding in our pantry).  I may add some tomatoes as well, diced canned ones.

Offline Capt. Mike

• Live from Granpa's Grotto
  • Captain
Summum ius summa iniuria.

The more law, the less justice.

Cicero, De Officiis, I, 33

"It doesn't, and you can't, I won't, and it don't
it hasn't, it isn't, it even ain't, and it shouldn't
it couldn't"
FZ, 1974

My chops were not as fast...[but] I just leaned more on what was in my mind than what was in my chops.  I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will probably whip the guy with twenty notes.
 --Les Paul

• Captain
    • Gun Kit Builders
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 05:41:16 pm »
Requesting that the "powers that be" sticky this thread? Thanks!

I'm God's gift to women!

Ravok

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 08:11:07 pm »
Yea, thanks guys! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 There are too many good recipes floating around here to waste. :multi: :multi: :multi:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 12:44:45 am by Ravok »

Offline Khalee

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 10:36:35 pm »
Ok heres what I made tonight.

clove or two of fresh garlic some minced onion or fresh and heat it up for a bit couple minutes.

Add to it one or two cans of dinty moore beef stew.also add limon pepper seaoning and lawers seasoning salt to taste heat to boil then simmer for a bit. Enjoy

It tasted pretty good almost used too much limon pepper in it but I ate it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 02:50:46 am by Khalee »

• Captain
    • Gun Kit Builders
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2004, 11:07:42 pm »
Thanks Blade for sticking this thread. :thumbsup:

I'm God's gift to women!

• Captain
    • Gun Kit Builders
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2004, 02:49:34 am »
Quick delicious pie.

1 box Coconut Bars
1 can cherry pie filling (store bought or homemade)
1/2-3/4 C sugar
Vanilla or Chocolate Ice Cream

Crush Coconut Bars and spread on a plate. In a saucepan combine pie filling and sugar, and bring to a boil to dissolve sugar. Pour filling/sugar over Coconut Bars and allow to set for 10 minutes. Serve a la mode while pie is still warm.

I'm God's gift to women!

• Captain
    • Gun Kit Builders
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2004, 03:09:50 am »
Nanner Puddin

1 hand of bananas
1 box vanilla wafers
1 can crushed pineapple
4 cups milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
3 egg yolks
3 tablespoons margarine
2 teaspoons vanilla

In a casserole dish, or other deep cooking dish, begin by first putting down a layer of wafers, then a layer of banana (cut into wheels or strips), then a very thin layer of crushed pineapple. Also add wafers to sides. Continue layering until wafers are used. One short can of pineapple should do for entire puddin. When finished, begin making vanilla pudding. (Instant can be used, but isnt as good).

Get out a 2 or 3 quart saucepan.  In it combine the sugar and cornstarch.  Gradually stir in the milk. Use a whisk to make sure the cornstarch doesn't lump. If the milk is cold, so much the better, cornstarch dissolves most completely in cold liquids.  Heat the pudding over medium heat.  You will have to stir it a lot.

Next put yolks into a small bowl. Ladle a small portion of hot liquid into bowl and quickly stir so that yolks do not cook. Scrape this egg/pudding mixture back into the saucepan.  Whisk it up smooth.  Bring the pudding back to a boil and then remove it from the stove. Drop in the margarine and measure in the vanilla.  Stir the margarine in until it melts.

Then, using a butter knife to make sure vanilla pudding flows to the bottom and sides, pour over wafers, bananas, and pineapple. Now you can top with meringue or mini marshmallows and place in oven at 350 until golden brown. It tastes better after it has been chilled.

I'm God's gift to women!

762_XC

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2004, 11:47:09 am »
Nanner Puddin

1 hand of bananas
1 box vanilla wafers
1 can crushed pineapple
4 cups milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
3 egg yolks
3 tablespoons margarine
2 teaspoons vanilla

What, no magic photons?  ;D

• Captain
    • Gun Kit Builders
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2004, 01:18:33 pm »
Nanner Puddin

1 hand of bananas
1 box vanilla wafers
1 can crushed pineapple
4 cups milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
3 egg yolks
3 tablespoons margarine
2 teaspoons vanilla

What, no magic photons?  ;D

Nah, those would make it salty!

I'm God's gift to women!

Offline Khalee

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2004, 01:31:22 pm »
My Marinade  I make enough to do just one steak at a time so you will have to adjust it for more, Also all is done to taste so measurements are approx except for the first one.

in shallow bowl or dish 1 cup Worcestershire sauce garlic powder to taste onion powder to taste pepper to taste mix after you add each ingredient so to see if its to your liking. now add French'es mustard mixing and tasting as you go along,( ive tried other brands But I like French'es). You can play with the spices if you like as I have put in Chili powder some cyan, Paprika, but ive normaly just stuck with the basics. Now get your steak ready put it bowl and make sure mixure gets on all sides, cover and set in fridge for at least hour perferably longer, overnight would be best. Then pan fry and or grill to what you like I like mine med well to well done and enjoy.

• Captain
    • Gun Kit Builders
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2004, 04:15:40 pm »
Here are a few more recipes.  ;D

MARINATED PORK LOIN ROAST

3-4 lb. Boneless roast
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2  tsp. Onion powder
1/2  C. apple juice
1 tsp. Basil
1/2  soy sauce
Non-stick cooking spray

Combine all ingredients, except pork roast, in a small bowl. Place roast in a large plastic bag; pour sauce over roast. Press out air; close top securely. Marinate 2 hours or more, turning meat over occasionally. Remove roast, reserve marinade. Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan, spray with non-stick cooking spray. Insert meat thermometer so that bulb is in thickest part of meat. Roast in 325ºF oven for 2½  hours, or until thermometer registers 170ºF. Brush roast with reserve marinade for last half hour of cooking time. Heat remaining marinade and serve with pork.

BARBEQUED MEATBALLS

1 lb. ground beef
1 C. ketchup
Salt & Pepper to taste
3/4 C. Coca-Cola

Mix salt, pepper with ground beef, and make into very small (bite-sized) meatballs. Combine the ketchup and Coca-Cola and stir well, then cover the meatballs with liquid and cook over medium heat until thickened, about 30-45 minutes.

BRUNSWICK STEW

1 lb. lean boneless pork
1 small chicken, cut up and boned
2 lbs. ground beef
3-4 diced potatoes
2 C. cooked corn
1 C. lima beans
2-3 carrots, diced
2-3 onions, chopped
2 C. chopped tomatoes, juice or both

Add enough of each of the following to suit you taste: (all are optional)

Ketchup, chili powder, salt, pepper, ground red pepper, Worcestershire sauce.

Boil chicken and pork together until done, remove meat and cool. Reserve liquid. After they have cooled, grind meat in a food processors or mill. Sauté ground beef, then add all 3 meats and all of the vegetables back to reserved liquid and cook for 1-1½ hours. Season with last 6 ingredients as desired.

BEEF AND TOMATOES

1 C. cooked roast beef, cubed
1 1/2 C. raw potato, cubed
1/2 C. condensed beef broth
1-8 oz. Can stewed tomatoes
1/2 tsp. Seasoned salt
1-8oz. can pearl onions, drained

In a saucepan, combine ingredients except onions. Cover and cook until potato is tender, about 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add onions, heat through.

(These last three arent family recipes, but I like them).

TEXAS HASH

1 1/2 lb. ground beef
2 onions, diced
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 quart cooked tomatoes
1 C. uncooked rice
1/2  tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Brown ground beef. Add onions & bell pepper and cook until onion is transparent. Stir in tomatoes, rice, chili powder, salt, and black pepper. Pour into greased 2 quart casserole dish. Cover with tinfoil and bake for 1 hour at 350ºF. Remove foil last 15 minutes.

EASY CHICKEN CASSEROLE

1 package Cornbread Dressing
1 stick butter
1 can, cream of mushroom soup
1 can, cream of chicken soup
4 large boneless chicken breasts

Stew chicken, but do not add salt to water. When chicken is cooked, reserve broth, then cool and dice chicken. Melt butter and stir into dressing. In a greased dish, 13X9 inch, put a layer of dressing crumbs, then a layer of chicken, then layer of mushroom soup diluted with 1 can of chicken broth. Again layer with crumbs, chicken, and cream of chicken soup diluted the same way. Top with crumbs and bake at 350ºF until brown, about 45 min. to 1 hour. Remember to use no salt at all.

FETTUCCINI ALFREDO

1 Tbsp. Butter
1 Tbsp. Plain flour
2 Tbsp. Cream cheese
2 Tbsp. Parsley
2 small garlic cloves, minced
1 1/3 C. skim milk
1 1/4 C. parmesan cheese, grated
Pepper to taste
4 C. hot cooked fettuccini

Melt butter in large pot. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes, stir in flour and cook until slightly brown. Stir in milk until smooth, add the cheeses and keep stirring until sauce is smooth and creamy. Add  parsley and fettuccini, stir to mix, add pepper and serve.

I'm God's gift to women!

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2004, 10:37:42 pm »
Judge's Moist Meat Loaf -

This is my personal recipe.  I do use meatloaf seasoning package, but ignore the recipe on the package.

3 lbs of Ground Beef (I prefer 90% Lean)
2 Eggs
2 8 oz cans of tomato sauce
1/2 cup of milk
2 handfuls of salad croutons (plain or garlic)
1 yellow onion
1 green bellpepper
1 pkg of Meatloaf seasoning mix (I prefer McCormiks, but just about any will do)

Mix Eggs, 1 can of tomato sauce, milk, and croutons in a large mixing bowl.  Dice onions and bellpeppers, add to mixture.  Sprinkle meat with garlic powder, add to mixture and make sure meat is thoroughly soaked.  Allow to marinate for 30 minutes.

Spread meat mixture into large glass pan.  Pour remaining can of tomato sauce over top and spread so that sauce fully covers top of meat.  Sprinkle salt, garlic powder, pepper, and basil lightly over top.  Cook in pre-heated oven at 400 degrees for 1 hour.

Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes

8-10 potatoes
1 can evaporated milk
Green onions
1/4 clove of garlic, minced

Cut potatoes into eights and add to pot of boiling water (I prefer to leave skins ON the potatoes).  Add minced garlic to boiling water.  Allow to boil until potatoes are tender (check with fork).

Drain potatoes in strainer and return to pot or mixing bowl.  Blend potatoes with mixer and add evaporated milk to desired creaminess (evaporated milk is MUCH better than regular milk - potatoes are MUCH tastier).

Salt and pepper to taste.

Chicken Parmesan and Garlic-herb baked chicken will be posted eventually.
He who can master the data controls the world.