Topic: Community Gap - sfc2/3 a bridge that needs to be made  (Read 27568 times)

Offline likkerpig

• Commander
Re: Community Gap - sfc2/3 a bridge that needs to be made
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2004, 02:15:56 am »
Likker,

I think I got it after listening a lot to Cleavan today ...

It really is a timewarp thing with OP/EAW and SFC3 ...

A lot of the anger comes from the time the so-called Taldrenites who spend on fixing the darned Orion Pirates -- whose player base is suck beans compared to what is left in SFC3. Look back on old threads, the past arguments (not with me). That anger stems from the first day we bought this game and made the move.

I made that shift as Renegade Demon squad leader for 14g. I crossed the line and didn't look back. It was the drive to bring this game to levels of balance and playability and ship additions and "stuff" that kept me personally going. Sooo much work was never done. We have always felt second fiddle. Even after the V534 patch, the game lacks the balance race to race that were the basics of the game. Just fundamental "stuff." The modders fix that and tweak and try to live with what we got to work with with apparently no assistance form the Taldren powerbase that links everything under the sun for OP, but ignores the SFC3 crowd in comparison.

It's a snob attitude from the OP groupies who knock the work as we do it. They thumb their noses at us. I have tried to foster interest in bringing OP/EAw ships to SFC3 ports.

The mechanics of the game -- being built on the same base source code of OP -- are similar, but you can't get the SFB purists to even dig in to find it.

Before I attempted to delete my account from these forums last time, I asked a question that nobody answered (they deleted the delete key, btw so I am forced to camp here with Likkerpig). ;)

Does anyone remember what MagnumMan said? It is still pertinant to this debate.

<S>

Ok, if I am following correctly it is resentment from when Taldren was still an entity, and they didn't patch SFC3 as quickly as OP? (yes I know you never got a patch above beta).
Quite honestly if that is what the resentment is about, it is like one child complaining that another got a bigger scoop of ice cream.
All I know about Magnum Man is that KhoroMag had Taldren's blessing to work on a patch for EAW.
As far as OP, the player base provided a great deal to make the game enjoyable... NW, Karnak, TraceyG, Firesoul, the server admins.... and whoever it was in Taldren who released the final patch... can't remember if it was Farrell or the other guy...
SFC3 has a wide range of talented people as well. As for the OP fixers not wanting to spend time fixing SFC3... well it is their time to spend, if they don't enjoy SFC3 why would they?
All I can really gather from this is some of you folks are upset that the OP crowd didn't jump ship whole heartedly into SFC3. Some do play both, some don't care for it.
By the way, the game insults are not just one way, Wildcard is quite open about his opinion of OP (Boring, etc) as are others. Who cares, if you don't like it, don't play it. That is the attitude of most of the OP'ers that you folks want to "make a community" with. We just don't care about SFC3, and in my case the "trek" community. If they make another trek game that is enjoyable, I'll play it. But I won't buy it just because it says star trek on the box.
Call the OP players that don't do SFC3 snobs and elitists if you want. We just don't care about SFC3. This has been said over and over.... if this is what the whole community building is about then you folks are beating a dead horse. The only common ground is that Taldren made both games.
If the player base of OP sucks beans compared to SFC3 then why do you care what we dead-enders do anyway? Let us fade away with our old game in peace.
"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2004, 02:18:33 am »
I will say it again there some elements of SFB in SFC2OP not 100% of it based on SFB.That is what is said on your screen when it is loaded up please look.I would say that is possibly fear driven that SFC3 is a much faster driven game and most who play it are young and are mostly in Europe where Star Trek is thriving.There are clubs over there in North America clubs have died out.This the way Star trek is headed in terms of gaming imho.The way I intend to play when I am all set to play on line is share my time in D2 and D3.I will play DomWars in D3 and it depends on what the server is like in D2.I heard LB5 was a boring I would been on the lastest D3 server for that.I have been around the D2 community for awhile and  you guys are great bunch of guys but so are D3ers when I am over at the Tri Mods boards.They are very helpful and they don't joke at my postings about tactics.The thing is Cleaven is I rely on my Tactical Officer instead of the AV.I always get a better Engineer first to tweak up those Warp Core and Impulse Engines.I can't wait untill they have white skins on this board.This white on black is a strian on my eyes.

<Bangs head on keyboard to make the pain behind the eyes go away>
There is no need to get upset at this Cleaven.I was just saying that I rely on my Tactical Officer just like in the show.

Offline Cleaven

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2004, 02:24:38 am »
There is no need to get upset at this Cleaven.I was just saying that I rely on my Tactical Officer just like in the show.

But the show (Which show? Any of them!) does not have angular velocity as a to-hit modifier for starship combat.

Not sure I can be bothered, but as you are the Doc, can you run an AI standard patrol in 2 minutes in a KRC? If so, there is no problem and I am utterly wrong. If you cannot, then the KRC is a worse ship for AI missions than ones I know can.

Offline AdmWaterTiger-11thFleet-

• Unity Admin
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Veni vidi vici
    • Spartan Vanguard
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2004, 02:28:46 am »

But the show (Which show? Any of them!) does not have angular velocity as a to-hit modifier for starship combat.

Who cares about the show. Geez.

Did Federation BCG's REALLLY have plasma in ANY show? Did BCJ's have REAL rockets?

http://www.spartanvanguard.com/
http://www.stcd.sgnonline.com/users/trimodyards/

KoraH: "Remember my advice to you Wade, that you should drop SFC ...  you will find that all you have to put up with to do so is going to sour the sweetness of your hard work."

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2004, 02:30:50 am »

I heard Picard say it in TNG.btw Who &What do fly Cleaven?You have never mentioned that.

Offline Cleaven

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2004, 02:31:00 am »

Did Federation BCG's REALLLY have plasma in ANY show? Did BCJ's have REAL rockets?

So you're back. Now what about Starblazers and their first use of the Eleventh Fleet in the 1970's?

Not sure I can be bothered, but as you are the Doc, can you run an AI standard patrol in 2 minutes in a KRC? If so, there is no problem and I am utterly wrong. If you cannot, then the KRC is a worse ship for AI missions than ones I know can.

Offline Cleaven

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2004, 02:34:11 am »

I heard Picard say it in TNG.btw Who &What do fly Cleaven?You have never mentioned that.

Well that makes it okay then. I also assume you are asking which empires I like to fly. That would be Romulan and Lyran.

• Unity Admin
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Veni vidi vici
    • Spartan Vanguard
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2004, 02:34:51 am »
Cleavan,

It was your relatives who tried to whack Kirk in "the show." I have noting more to say to a man -- alien or otherwise -- who refuses to be so technical he has lost the meaning of the game.

You know what you can do with your AV, right? ;)

KoraH: "Remember my advice to you Wade, that you should drop SFC ...  you will find that all you have to put up with to do so is going to sour the sweetness of your hard work."

• Unity Admin
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Veni vidi vici
    • Spartan Vanguard
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2004, 02:36:41 am »
Did you catch the double negative, Cleavan?

Offline Cleaven

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2004, 02:38:14 am »
Cleavan,

It was your relatives who tried to whack Kirk in "the show." I have noting more to say to a man -- alien or otherwise -- who refuses to be so technical he has lost the meaning of the game.

You know what you can do with your AV, right? ;)

I'm assuming it's the same thing your lot have done to the creators of Starblazers.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2004, 02:39:10 am »

So you're back. Now what about Starblazers and their first use of the Eleventh Fleet in the 1970's?
Who are you refering to me or WT and who&what do fly for?Cmon Cleaven relax.

Offline Cleaven

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2004, 02:48:39 am »

Okay, it works like this and you can take it as a general rule for most other users of the forum. If I have a quote then I am replying to the last quoted person in that quote unless I am making a general statement. So just to be clear, a reply with a quote means that the quoted person is being replied to.

Now if there is no quote then the reply is either to the immediately preceding post or to the group as a whole, but sometimes another reply may sneak in between them.

Now as a class exercise we can look at this post and see that you are the last quoted person and therefore I am replying to you.

Also note that is very bad form to quote somebody who has nothing to do with your reply and it is even worse form to reply in a completely different thread.

• Unity Admin
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Veni vidi vici
    • Spartan Vanguard
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2004, 02:50:34 am »

Okay, it works like this and you can take it as a general rule for most other users of the forum. If I have a quote then I am replying to the last quoted person in that quote unless I am making a general statement. So just to be clear, a reply with a quote means that the quoted person is being replied to.

Now if there is no quote then the reply is either to the immediately preceding post or to the group as a whole, but sometimes another reply may sneak in between them.

Now as a class exercise we can look at this post and see that you are the last quoted person and therefore I am replying to you.

Also note that is very bad form to quote somebody who has nothing to do with your reply and it is even worse form to reply in a completely different thread.

Before we get hijacked again, answer my question, Cleavan, Mr. SFB purist, cannon God of all gods..

How did those plasmas get on UFP vessels in EAW/OP?

Offline Cleaven

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2004, 02:52:12 am »

But you noramlly post like that. Why should I take any notice of it?

• Unity Admin
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Veni vidi vici
    • Spartan Vanguard
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2004, 02:52:55 am »

Gah! Answer the question, Mr. SFB'er.

Offline Cleaven

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2004, 02:56:03 am »

Gah! Answer the question, Mr. SFB'er.

That's rich, I've been asking about the pinching of Eleventh Fleet from StarBlazers for quite a while now and been expertly ignored by you so far.

• Unity Admin
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Veni vidi vici
    • Spartan Vanguard
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2004, 02:57:33 am »
OK, you tell me where the darned rockets come from in the "show" and what the plasma is doing on Federation BCG's and I'll answer your silly question ...

Offline Cleaven

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2004, 02:58:43 am »
OK, you tell me where the darned rockets come from in the "show" and what the plasma is doing on Federation BCG's and I'll answer your silly question ...

Sorry but I asked first.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2004, 02:59:47 am »

I am partialy back but I am trying to get to know the D3ers in the Tri Mod forums.That is where most of them are.I am not sure what you mean bt another thread?

• Unity Admin
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Veni vidi vici
    • Spartan Vanguard
« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2004, 03:05:31 am »

Sorry but I asked first.

Are you referring to these gentlemen, Cleavan?