Did you like it or no?

Have played SFB, it was ok
Have Played SFB, it blows
Have Played SFB, liked it
Have Played SFB, loevd it
I play SFB, i like it
I play SFB, its ok
I play SFB, I love it

Topic: Who has played or continues to play Star Fleet Battles (Board Game)  (Read 20377 times)

Offline Hyperion

• Commander
  • Local Canuckistan
    • Our other National Anthem
Just curious since the Whole SFC3 vs. SFC2:OP seems to have resurfaced.

Persoanlly ive beenplaying it for 25 years and i love it, so thats one vote ;)
"Who is this god person anyways ?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Adams

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
Re: Who has played or continues to play Star Fleet Battles (Board Game)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 08:16:33 am »
I've bought tons of books for reading material but have not played the game in years.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Hyperion

• Commander
  • Local Canuckistan
    • Our other National Anthem
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 08:20:41 am »
I tend to buy everything (Steven cole must love me). But i still remeber that little "Game in a Bag" i bought back in 1980 ;)
"Who is this god person anyways ?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Adams

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 11:18:15 am »
Never played....started collecting SFB material after getting SFC1.

Offline hobbesmaster

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 11:34:36 am »
I haven't had any one to play against for a while...

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 04:36:46 pm »
Has been a couple of months since I had the chance to play- RL being bad with my steady partner, but I have a few friends that I think I can seduce to the dark side!
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Astarte

• Feline Mixtress
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Mew? *grins*
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 05:31:19 pm »
*facepalms*

My house is going to get invaded because of this.  I just know it!

Hmm...delivery, pizza, booze...Might not be too bad actually..Just as long as they quiet down enough for my son to sleep.

Offline FPF-Jem

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 05:37:41 pm »
Hmmm.... needs an option for never playing it
Capt. Jem

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 06:08:16 pm »
Started playing back in the late-late 70's.  Loved it then; still love it now.  (Only now, the rules book is just so much *bigger*)

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell

Offline FPF-AJTK

• You make it to the second commercial if your a
  • Lt.
  • Founding Member of the BLUE PLAGUE
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 06:59:36 pm »
If only EVERYTHING got bigger with age, eh Bruce? ;)
RE-VER-SE: To move backwards, retrograde; movement that is not forward in nature.

[img]http://pages.sbcglobal.net/wanderer/_uimages/AJTK.jpg

Offline Khalee

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 07:00:45 pm »
Played it from the start only thing I dont have left from the start is the orginal rule book or the baggie update books, but I still got the box. I was stupid and got rid of them when Commaders edition came out. But ive kept everything else sence then.

Offline Durin

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 08:31:39 pm »
I played and liked it.I just don't have the time anymore to play the game.. thats why I'm here.  ;D

Offline Crusader

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 10:19:59 am »
Just curious since the Whole SFC3 vs. SFC2:OP seems to have resurfaced.

Persoanlly ive beenplaying it for 25 years and i love it, so thats one vote ;)

Played a lot in the 80's.  Play some today.  Same friends still get together but not as often due to family demands.  I still read the manuals and keep everything up to date.  Wish I had more time to play.  Hopefully in about 10 years my infant son will play me. ;D

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 01:35:15 pm »
I started playing it in the early 80's and still have huge amounts of materials for it, including over 150 miniatures, Most of them the original Starline 2300 series. But, in the past 10 years of so have played it very little. The immense amount of rules, not to mention the time involved in playing even a small game makes it diifucult to find (and keep) players. I still collect some of the technical materials, although not like I used to.
When I first spotted SCF1 on the store shelves it was like finding the Holy Grail to me. I bought the game on the spot, then bought my first computer 3 days later! My wife thought I was completely nuts!
I have competed in 3 "Rated Ace" tourneys, but, best I did was placing 3rd.  :-\ These days the only chance I play is once a year at a local annual gaming convention. I ususally wind up running the game myself (I am an Official Santioned GameMaster through ABD), since having someone with the needed materials seems to be rare around the area. Today, the minis sit packed carefully in foam lined boxes and I have 3 large plastic containers full of SSDs, books other text items. About 5 yrs ago came very close to selling the whole lot to someone who offered me $500. (again my wife thought I was nuts!)
I love the game, but, the advent of the computer game has vastly speeded up game play and, IMO is prefferable to the long set-up time and time needed to actually complete a single board game.
Largest game I ever played was a Fed vs Klingon game (I was Klink, of course) using 2000 pts as the base. My force was composed of 22 ships and it took a 14 hr marathon session to complete. (and the Klingons were Victorious!)
In it's day, it was the best and I still enjoy it.
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline GarrethMacLeod

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Alternate B Website
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2004, 05:06:18 pm »
Needs one more option..."have not played, would like to play, but does not know where to get started"

Having read LordKrueg's post, I suspect I may not have the time...unless you can leave it set up and go back to it whenever time permits
Alternate B Chief Map Drone and General Whipping Boy
http://www.AlternateB.org

Offline Strafer

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2004, 05:07:58 pm »
...unless you can leave it set up and go back to it whenever time permits

Barring the random act of a Furry Feline Space Monster rampage on the map, sure.
--
Code: [Select]
Lineage II
Server                           Sieghardt                    deviantrealms.com (dead)
Chars       Strafer          L24 Rogue                  L64 Hawkeye
                StrayFar       L64 Tyrant                  L51 Tyrant
                StrawFur      L37 Scavenger            L49 Bounty Hunter
                StraightFour L62 Shillen Elder         L53 Shillen Elder

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2004, 05:11:15 pm »

Barring the random act of a Furry Feline Space Monster rampage on the map, sure.

LOL... that is the truth!
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2004, 05:30:01 pm »

LOL!  I've never had that destroy a game of SFB.  Virtally all my games are completed in one sitting.

However!  On more than one occaision, months of F&E playing has been lost to the sudden pounce of the cat who decides all those stacks of counters look like sooooooo much fun.  (The Klingon Deep Space Fleet was never really that vulnerable to felines, was it??!!)

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

Gorn Dragon Templar

Offline RazalYllib

• Imperial Romulan Information Service-senior advisor
  • Lt.
    • IRIS
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2004, 07:03:28 pm »
I stumbled on to SFB quite by accident.  I was with some friends doing some panzerbleader (hybrid panzerblitz/panzerleader + arty rules from Arab-Israeli wars and some other "house rules".  I was introduced to a friend who first introduced me to the concept and I was somewhat intrigued.  But never got a chance to play a game w/ him.  By a strange twist of fate, one of my RPG players met someone local who played and had a large group of players.  He played several games, got the bug and bought the baggie.

A couple of weeks later, two of the players in our RPG group called at the last minute and couldn't play.  My friend decided to introduce us to SFB...I got my butt handed to me the first CA vs D7 battle, but I was instantly hooked. The next day, went down to hobby store and picked up the baggie, and have never looked back.  I eventually was able to defeat my friend and as the expansion baggies were released, we saved our lunch money and stuff because it was the #1 thing we wanted to spend our hard earned disposable income on in the whole wide world.

Eventually I found myself gravitating toward a preference for the Romulans.  Call synergy, fate, whatever, It has been that way since.  Perhaps it was because few in the group could play Romulan with the finesse required to be successful. Time passed, commanders edition, SSD books, Federation Space Released, Federation and Empire released (bought it the day it was on the shelf, got there before the store had opened and waited) and there was a gaming con in town, complete with sanctioned tourney.

What was a Romulan to do....
I entered, won w/ the Firehawk.  I didn't really feel challenged in any of the 3 rounds I fought. The Wyn was the toughest fight though.  He had good dice...  What really irked me, was the prize.  A F#$@(^| Federation CVA Starline figure...I was insulted.  I told the judge that.  He just gave me a blank look, didn't understand.

I have had the opportunity as a member of the armed forces, to introduce SFB to many gamers and non-gamers alike (though the non-gamers the rules are "abbreviated")  If I had more time now, and SFC was not in existence, I probably would play it more than once every year or so.  Though about a year or so ago, I did get it out to work on some manner of tweak for the plasma when the matter was being discussed for play balance in SFC.  While it was out of the box, I had some fun though with an old friend.  Won a couple, lost a couple.  As for play balance work for SFC, IIRC I had worked out a sliding scale of adjusting Plasma Torpedo Range Brackets as compensation for the Real Time nature of SFC, doubled internals, and other factors that vary from Canon SFB. The idea was quickly dropped due to inherent unbalancing such a solution would be against static targets such as bases and planets.  It did look good on paper, and the dozen or so hours spent moving cardboard was time well spent at least.

I still refer to my F&E ruleset (still at arms length as I type) from time to time.  It is a shame somewhat.  I have some manner of Automated SFB on my computer, while the real thing sits in boxes downstairs in the dungeon, gathering dust, with only the occasional house spider for company.  If my buddies were not pressuring me into Rolemaster, I might be motivated, at least by this post, to dust it off and start calling some old friends over.  Maybe next year.
Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand
Says "don't you see?"
Gotta make it somehow
On the dreams you still believe
Don't give it up
You got an empty cup
Only love can fill
Only love can fill

Offline Chris SI

• Gone again
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2004, 12:17:55 am »
Been a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time since I played SFB, but I loved it.

I can remember modifing SSDs with wihteout, and sneaking into the copy room at work to run off a Federation CA+ or a Klingon D-7D!

I actually still have the recurser to F&E, called "Federation Space," as well as F&E.

I can remember making up fleet lists, creating names for all the ships, and playing massive campaigns...

Ah, the days before marriage and family!
Taldren poster known as FFZ

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2004, 02:28:57 am »
Needs one more option..."have not played, would like to play, but does not know where to get started"

Having read LordKrueg's post, I suspect I may not have the time...unless you can leave it set up and go back to it whenever time permits

Yeah, back in "the good ole days" (before multiple children  ::) ) I could do that, it did help greatly for the larger games. A duel between 2 ships might take a little as 1/2 hr to resolve.
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2004, 02:49:34 am »
I discovered SFB when I was a young teenager.  I use to buy and collect comic books, but the book store I went to all the time started carring SFB Material.  I originally was a huge Star Trek fan before, but I had no idea what SFB was.  So I did a little research and asked a few people that asked the Book store why they liked SFB. 

I kept buying SFB materal over the years, but unfortunetly their are hardly any players in the part of the country I live and the rules of SFB are pretty complex for the average person, so getting players to play with locally was next to impossible. 

Anyway, I loved SFB, and still do today, but my favorite game of all time from Taskforce Games was Starfire.  Buy far easier to play with then SFB and much more customizable. 
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2004, 03:08:33 am »
I liked Starfire a lot myself. It was much more streamlined for fleet play and tactical and strategic was all rolled into one. Babylon 5 always made me think of Starfire. Oh yes, for those that would like to have a system worked out for it, ramming is allowed. :D
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2004, 03:22:10 am »
Played and playtested SFB way back when.  

Still remember seeing the old Task Force Games #4 in a plastic ziplock bag at the hobby store and purchasing it for $5.00, then after a quick look giving S'Cipio a phone call to tell him what I had found.

Lost interest later with the advent of the X-ships and discovering Role-Playing games untill S"Cipio and Agave introduced me to SFC.

BTW:  I invented an ESG weapon before ADB did,with a different name, just ask S'Cipio, used by an Andromedian race called the Kelvans from a TOS episode, which I also invented...... ;D

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2004, 03:26:59 am »
Started playing back in the late-late 70's.  Loved it then; still love it now.  (Only now, the rules book is just so much *bigger*)

-S'Cipio

More rules, and Chuut really dreads the though of playing SFB with S'Cipio, the ultimate rules lawyer for old times sake....... ;D

Offline Max Power

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Old School Hydran/Green Menace Leader
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2004, 07:27:30 pm »
For those that wish they could play SFB but can't because they can't find an opponent, SFB online can be subscribed to for something like 40$ for a year. The first editions of the game only allowed tournament ships, but this is no longer true; basically, if it's in the game, it's in SFB online. As for the F&E players, I have a cyberboard advanced ops gameboard for it if anyone wants it. If there's enough people maybe we should get a game going...

Offline Capt. Mike

• Live from Granpa's Grotto
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2004, 09:45:49 pm »
I started back in '79 or so (too many beers)...collected a lot as mid shifts at Hill AFB in Utah are boring...played until '85 or so, when interest dropped off (base reassignments, etc..)..stll have the stuff, but have just been having fun on the computer..no fights over where the damage gets assessed..

Mike
Summum ius summa iniuria.

The more law, the less justice.

Cicero, De Officiis, I, 33

"It doesn't, and you can't, I won't, and it don't
it hasn't, it isn't, it even ain't, and it shouldn't
it couldn't"
FZ, 1974

My chops were not as fast...[but] I just leaned more on what was in my mind than what was in my chops.  I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will probably whip the guy with twenty notes.
 --Les Paul

Offline Ronin

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • sub·ter·fuge (sub-tr-fyooj) - Romulan foreplay
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2004, 10:20:14 pm »
Used to play it from around 1979 to 1985 or so. Loved it. Then I moved and had no friends to play the game with. Waited about twenty years constantly checking with game companies knowing that SFC would happen some day. I actually had a VERY basic Star Trek combat game on my 64k Franklin PC (IBM compatible) in about '82 or so that had only movement, direction, shield reinforcement and firing orders with number of ships in the engagement as a user defined variable. I have no idea who made it, but it was a lot of fun for the time.

Was walking through a Target store with my wife (I have this theory that you can tell a lot about where a society is going by the games it promotes and was talking to my wife about this as I walked through the toys) when I saw SFC1 on the shelf. My wife thought I had lost my mind. I told her I had been waiting twenty years for the game, she smiled and said something along the lines of, "that's nice dear" and I never looked back.

Probably a lot of us with a similar tale...
"Flying Romulan takes cunning. You either have it... or you die."

In The Beginning -- An unfinished fictionalized account of events surrounding the old Starlance League.

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2004, 04:08:09 pm »
I played it some when I was a kid. My cousin introduced myself and my brother to the game and we played a number of times. I remember setting up a game with four maps on a pool table. Each of us had ten ships. That game took forever and I don't really think we actually finished it.

As a side note, my brother, S'Raek, and a friend came up with the cloaked decoy for the romulans that was published in the third installment of the Commander's edition rulebook.

I don't remember if it was my brother that told me about SFC or if I saw it first. Anyway, I waited for the demo to come out and that hooked me. I even put my name in the hat when SFC2 needed testers.
Only in America .....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

Offline zerosnark

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2004, 04:58:44 pm »
I played alot in the 80s.

I played a bit less as the updates went more and more drone/fighter crazy and all the ships were too so well play balanced. Same warp. same batteries. Same weapons.

The big drone / plasma battles were fun, but were basically too time consuming. Especially if you started using "special" or "double space" drones in the mix.

SFC revitalized my interests. Especially with the cool models. Now I fly my Larsons, Saladins, and Suryas every night. Still tend towards the older (pre general war) ships.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2004, 11:01:38 pm »
I played alot in the 80s.

I played a bit less as the updates went more and more drone/fighter crazy and all the ships were too so well play balanced. Same warp. same batteries. Same weapons.

The big drone / plasma battles were fun, but were basically too time consuming. Especially if you started using "special" or "double space" drones in the mix.

SFC revitalized my interests. Especially with the cool models. Now I fly my Larsons, Saladins, and Suryas every night. Still tend towards the older (pre general war) ships.

I know exactly what you mean. That's one of the reasons (besides the tactics) that I really love playing Andros. (don't have to push all of those little counters all over the board). It's also another reason I enjoy SFC, or the whole idea of having SFB on my PC. I don't mind the EA, selecting drones (specialty etc...), or other intricatsies. (I really love the Impulse activity chart). Keeping track of a jillion counters is the pain in the arse for me.

Offline KBF-Dogmatix_XC

• Pimpmaster General
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2004, 01:37:45 pm »
I haven't actually played SFB in about 14 years...but I really enjoyed it.  I have repurchased most of the current materials as source data for SFC pursuits as well as just to have because I loved the game so much.  I'm so totally out of practice with actually playing the game that it would almost be like starting over...

Dogmatix, XC, KBF
yo' aj, Klingon Black Fleet
Director, XenoCorp Tactics and Strategy Division
DGA Board of Directors
SFC2.Net Administrator

Offline KBF-Dogmatix_XC

• Pimpmaster General
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2004, 01:40:01 pm »

-S'Cipio

Man..I hear that.  I started playing in the early 80's and bought all three volumes of the boxed set and all the SSD modules..some of the Captain's Logs, etc.  My pile of "new" stuff seems larger...more complicated...heheheh.

Dogmatix, XC, KBF
yo' aj, Klingon Black Fleet
Director, XenoCorp Tactics and Strategy Division
DGA Board of Directors
SFC2.Net Administrator

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2004, 01:50:53 pm »
I'm an avid player still and have been one since 1984.  I hadn't played for a while then was talking about it with my D&D group.  It turned out that all but two of us used to play it.  We immediately started back up and one of them learned.  We now have a group of eight regulars who play once a week.

We're going to start a second complete Operation Unity campaign this fall.  We played it through once and have made a few modifications and a few suggestions to SVC.  Now we're ready for it again.  As with the last time through, I'll be updating the results on my website.
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."

Offline Chris SI

• Gone again
  • Commander
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2004, 02:24:24 pm »
Man, operation Unity.

If only SFC OP let us play campaigns like that!
Taldren poster known as FFZ

Offline KBF-Kapact

• No matter how much Paramount and Viacom abuse and neglect and generally make a bloody mess of Trek, and despite the fact that they seem to have intentionally stuck a knife in it's belly, technically they still own it.
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Old enough to know better, but I just don't give a
    • What is Fantasy Trek?
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2004, 04:07:30 pm »
I've got a basic set.......... and downloaded the demo online game. The $40 a year has to wait... yeah, that's pitiful.  :-[ I've even thought of trying to talk my non-gaming wife into it....
KBF-Kapact
IKS Ab'Qaff
"Surrender or be des-"

{sound of explosion}
http://fantasytrek.blogspot.com/
http://houseabukoff.blogspot.com
http://kapactsrant.blogspot.com/
http://startrekenterprisevirtualseasons.blogspot.com/

Klingon Black Fleet
"...laughing, undefeated..."

Offline Vysander

• Ensign
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2004, 09:48:53 pm »
Inherited the game in a bag SFB from my Dad along w/ Expansions 1-3, the carrier expansion, and the commander's rulebook.  Only found 1 person who was willing to play that game with me

Later when Doomsday came out I bought the basic, advanced rule books, C1-C3, and battleships

It's some good reading all on itself, I loved reading the ship biographies.  It's sitting on my bookshelf next to me gathering dust.. I might have to relearn the game and play a few battles. 

Offline Cleaven

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2004, 12:12:43 am »
There are players out there. Trust me!

If you have a table top gaming club in the vicinity and the members who aren't just teenage WarHammer players, then you have potential SFB players. You just have to drag your shaggy butt along and announce yourself. I found that there are often a couple of others there who used to play but ran out of opponents too.

And it sure beats stupid arguements about commando ships fighting AI.

Not sure I can be bothered, but as you are the Doc, can you run an AI standard patrol in 2 minutes in a KRC? If so, there is no problem and I am utterly wrong. If you cannot, then the KRC is a worse ship for AI missions than ones I know can.

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2004, 03:13:29 pm »
Hmm, my parents think said on their last visit I should do something more than spend so much time on the computer!  I think perhaps I'll go play a game of SFB today with my sis...make her play the Klingons!  Fits her attitude.

:P

Betcha we won't have an argument about magic photons!  That is if I can get her off the gamecube and advance wars.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2004, 03:42:04 pm »

I just noticed how brilliant this satement is.   Anyone else notice that 90% of the D2 balance issues wouldn't exist if the AI weren't so frucking stupid?

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2004, 04:00:39 pm »
There are players out there. Trust me!

If you have a table top gaming club in the vicinity and the members who aren't just teenage WarHammer players, then you have potential SFB players. You just have to drag your shaggy butt along and announce yourself. I found that there are often a couple of others there who used to play but ran out of opponents too.

I play Warhammer!  Does this mean I must stop playing SFB?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

Offline Cleaven

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2004, 05:25:48 pm »
Only if you try and play them both at the same time.

Not sure I can be bothered, but as you are the Doc, can you run an AI standard patrol in 2 minutes in a KRC? If so, there is no problem and I am utterly wrong. If you cannot, then the KRC is a worse ship for AI missions than ones I know can.

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2004, 12:59:50 am »
Only if you try and play them both at the same time.

I must suck...I just got me rear beat around the universe and back in SFB...Perhaps I should buy some Federation models and try them instead...

Hmm, Warhammer and SFB...now that's a thought I hadn't thought of before.  Use boarding parties and resolve it using Warhammer 40k rules...could be interesting...

I wonder what the Feds would do if they encountered Chaos?

;)

Come to think of it, I don't know the rules to large ship combat for WH40k, now you have me thinking, I wonder if SFB could be used in that context?  Interesting idea...

Anyways, won't hijack the thread on it hopefully.

-------

Offline FPF-Jem

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2004, 02:18:05 am »
They already have a large scale Naval Combat system for WH40k, it's called Battle Fleet Gothic IIRC
Capt. Jem

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2004, 02:47:22 am »
They already have a large scale Naval Combat system for WH40k, it's called Battle Fleet Gothic IIRC

Ah, never played that one...explains a lot though.

How is it in comparison to SFB?

-------

Offline Mantis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2004, 09:26:45 am »
I have not played SFB in 15 or so years, should still have all my materials in the garage if my wife has not "recycled" them. Loved playing it, just had a hard time finding anyone to play with. Sounds like there have been quite a few changes. Is there a place where I can get the executive summary of the changes? All these new races, and I assume weapons. I have also heard some think the races have become more generic in ship capabilities. I am just confused ??? I dropped out shortly after the ISC appeared.

Offline Cleaven

• Lt. Junior Grade

Offline Cleaven

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2004, 07:26:49 pm »
And a question for the players, do you prefer plotted or free movement?

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2004, 07:45:24 pm »

While I appreciate the theory behind plotted movement (things would be happening too fast for you to make the instant course corrections that free movement allows) I feel that it detracts from maneuvering and speed change tactics and helps the weaker player. In fleet battles it's just a freakin accounting nightmare. Just my oppinion. I never really played it (plotted movement) very much though. Maybe it requires more skill than I'm allowing it.

So, free movement.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2004, 08:39:01 pm »

While I appreciate the theory behind plotted movement (things would be happening too fast for you to make the instant course corrections that free movement allows)

Considering the course corrections that you can make in double-time (Speed 8) this theory doesn't hold water.

Offline Cleaven

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2004, 10:23:21 pm »
I should mention that I learnt to play with plotted movement and subconsciously blotted out the section of the rules on free movement until I found other players from outside my group who only used free movement. I had this mindset that plotted movement was just the way it was, and had not considered the merit's or otherwise of free movement. Currently I think that (full) plotted movement adds to the character of SFB.

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2004, 12:31:15 am »

I prefer free movement.  However plotted is interesting to try from time to time; it completely changes the flow of the game.

I used to do plotted movement when I played by mail.  The mechanics of that system just required plotted movement.

-S'Cipio

Gorn Dragon Templar

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2004, 01:50:50 am »
Thankfully the default system has gone to free movement.  I always found the plotted movement made it more of a guess. One misguess could loose a game and waste a lot of time.  Free movement makes the game go faster and isn't it long enough anyway.
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."

Offline Nerroth

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Federal Republic of Aurora
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2004, 02:21:11 pm »
I play BFG, and it's FAR more simplified than SFB (cruisers have either 6 or 8 hit points, escorts only have 1, no shield arcs, hardly any range-dependant shooting or damage - the weapon batteries use a gunnery table depending on what way the enemy ship is facing, with column shifts for stuff like blast markers, being at a certain range, ehe effects of a holofield etc - and VERY different movement and tactics depending on your fleet (Imperials, Tau - whose resin ships from Forgeworld look a lot like the ISC ships in SFC2 - etc move like sailing ships, Eldar ships have a double move and can turn on a pin, Necron ships can manouvre at high speeds and generally scare the heebie-jeebies out of their opponents and so forth) but it's also FAR less trouble to play a fleet engagement with the rules and unlike SFB or F&E I have had harrdly any problem finding opponents.

I'd love to see the BFG game engine as a basis for Star Fleet Action, but SPecialist Games and ADB could end up being rather too jealous of each other's systems too let that happen...

Oh, and I have F&E (and will get ISC war) and have yet to play either it or SFB against anyone (I have seen very few converts to the game my age - I'm 24 - and nobody in Ireland seems to take ADB or TOS stuff seriously at all, hell even I would rather have the movie-era ships in a tabletop game than the TOS stuff, I think the old designs aren't so great but that's more of a personal taste thing)

Gary
Omega and Magellanic fan.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2004, 05:04:01 pm »
for those who have sfb books can you give me the spec of fed frigate, destroyer, light cruiser, x-ship and if you have anything on starbase space station and other stuff like that, i only want the spec for the ship  for my eaw spec so i will have more accurate info for the ship, i don't know the name/class of the ship so just tell me what you have, beside the saladin class for the destroyer.

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• Semi retired, but I am still around
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2004, 11:55:23 pm »
I played w/ a school buddy of mine and really got into it. now it is very hard to find the time to play anymore.

and not too many players left in the Dallas area. :'(

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW
SILENCE.....I keel you!!!

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2004, 12:16:39 am »
I played w/ a school buddy of mine and really got into it. now it is very hard to find the time to play anymore.

and not too many players left in the Dallas area. :'(

I live in Wills Point and work in Mesquite. Maybe sometime we could get together? I'd love to have a game or two. :)

Offline theSea

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2004, 03:01:56 pm »

If you installed OP with the standard install you already have what you need to get started... go to the folder where you installed SFC:OP ("C:\Program Files\Taldren Software Inc\Starfleet Command Orion Pirates\") and look in the SFB folder.  Print the PDFs for the cadet rules, SSD's and counters.  The Cadet scenarios take you from the ground up to where you should be able to manage a CA vs. CA duel.

The pray to whatever gods you worship to deliver you an opponent.....

Anyone in Western Connecticut feel free to PM me - :D

theSea