Topic: That ownership/copy right issue  (Read 3977 times)

Potemkyn

That ownership/copy right issue
« on: August 09, 2004, 10:17:04 pm »
As with Taldren, I would think Dynaverse owns whatever we post here (though I haven't yet found such wording).  Now if I posted a story at one site, and then came and posted it here later, would DV own the story, or the other site, or me?

What say ye?

:)
Po~

Offline KBF-Kapact

• No matter how much Paramount and Viacom abuse and neglect and generally make a bloody mess of Trek, and despite the fact that they seem to have intentionally stuck a knife in it's belly, technically they still own it.
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Old enough to know better, but I just don't give a
    • What is Fantasy Trek?
Re: That ownership/copy right issue
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 02:49:30 pm »
As with Taldren, I would think Dynaverse owns whatever we post here (though I haven't yet found such wording).  Now if I posted a story at one site, and then came and posted it here later, would DV own the story, or the other site, or me?

What say ye?

Po~

That's one reason I don't think I'll post anything here but links offsite. That and I can't program UBB code into my keyboard...  ;D
KBF-Kapact
IKS Ab'Qaff
"Surrender or be des-"

{sound of explosion}
http://fantasytrek.blogspot.com/
http://houseabukoff.blogspot.com
http://kapactsrant.blogspot.com/
http://startrekenterprisevirtualseasons.blogspot.com/

Klingon Black Fleet
"...laughing, undefeated..."

Offline Iceman

• 1st Lieutenant
  • Lt.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 10:14:13 am »
One would think it's up to the owners, correct?
I believe this belongs to you. -Commander Sheehan to Imperial Captain Smithy
"Wedge, it's amazing how deceptive you can be without actually lying." -Tycho Celchu

Offline KBF-Kapact

• No matter how much Paramount and Viacom abuse and neglect and generally make a bloody mess of Trek, and despite the fact that they seem to have intentionally stuck a knife in it's belly, technically they still own it.
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Old enough to know better, but I just don't give a
    • What is Fantasy Trek?
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 03:34:09 pm »
One would think it's up to the owners, correct?

One would indeed

KBF-Kapact
IKS Ab'Qaff
"Surrender or be des-"

{sound of explosion}
http://fantasytrek.blogspot.com/
http://houseabukoff.blogspot.com
http://kapactsrant.blogspot.com/
http://startrekenterprisevirtualseasons.blogspot.com/

Klingon Black Fleet
"...laughing, undefeated..."

Potemkyn

Owners...
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 11:11:59 pm »
The owners of the stories, or the owner(s) of this board?

All depends...

Po~

Offline Iceman

• 1st Lieutenant
  • Lt.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 11:00:01 pm »
The owners of the board can (and should) dictate what they own/do not own. However, at Taldren it was deemed to be Viacom property because it was ST. Does this apply here?
I believe this belongs to you. -Commander Sheehan to Imperial Captain Smithy
"Wedge, it's amazing how deceptive you can be without actually lying." -Tycho Celchu

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 11:16:30 pm »
It would be nice to know if Taldren kept the stories and therefore the rights or just deleted them after closing down.

I would like to hear the DV guys opinion but this forum probably isn't the right one to get their attention.
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 11:32:36 pm »
Well, most forums use the "All posts are owned by the posters" or some such to protect the admins from anything nasty or offensive posted, so I'd imagine everything here is owned by the poster, too.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Potemkyn

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2004, 11:15:11 pm »
Well, most forums use the "All posts are owned by the posters" or some such to protect the admins from anything nasty or offensive posted, so I'd imagine everything here is owned by the poster, too.

Ah - I would hope that would be the case here. 

Would a Moderator please give us the law on this?

Please...

Pretty please with sucralous on top?

::)

;D
Po~

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 08:56:59 pm »
Dynaverse.Net accepts no responsibility or liability in respect of the conduct of any user in connection with such facilities, or for any material submitted by users and carried on the Dynaverse.Net Web Site including, for example, responsibility or liability for the accuracy or reliability of any information, data, opinions, advice or statements made in such material

(In my opinion) They cannot claim ownership without accepting liability for the postings.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 12:43:02 am »
Anything containing the words Star Trek, or any material shown onscreen from Star Trek, including Font, Images, Sound, Terminology/Technology that is copywritten, Etc that is in any part belonging to Star Trek, once published, falls under the Fair Use policy of the Paramount Copywrite of Star Trek....

As such since Star Trek is a theme in the article, it technically would belong to Paramount, however it can be distributed for free across the internet or in hardcopy media...

If your intent is to claim a profit from article, then it is best to not post it, but take it to a publisher that currently holds a Paramount license for Trek material..

It does not matter if it is posted here or on your own private host site.. as soon as the story becomes public access, it falls under Paramount Copywrite and Fair Use policy (anyone can copy and distribute the material at their discression due to it being fan made material of copywritten/tredemarked property).. However the gentleman's agreement concerning Trek Material is that no one will plagerize your stuff (even though they are legal to do so under Fair use clause) or alter your stuff without your explicit permission to do so.. this holds true through out the Trek community.

As far as I am concerned, the original Author has final say on the material.. however being Trek Based, then Paramount Copywrite takes precident, and Fair Use makes your material Open Source for anyone else.. However you can take anyone using your material to Paramount and hit them for plagerism.. Paramount takes over legally from there.

"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 03:28:05 pm »
I'm not sure how it works.  I think fan fiction is in a grey area of copyright law;  We're already using other people's copyrighted ideas and such to produce our own material.  I'd like to have some kind of recourse to reprinting my stuff without permission, yeah, but I think that it'd be hard to enforce such things when we're already indulging in a 'tolerated' type of copyright breach.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight