Topic: About Three-Dimensional Chess...  (Read 4803 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
About Three-Dimensional Chess...
« on: August 14, 2004, 01:56:24 pm »
...As I said in another topic, I've been searching for topics concerning this game (invented by people in Star Trek... right?), and came up short.  I figured this forum is okay to post such a topic... If not, sorry.

I'm sure there's people here who play Chess.  I'm not that good a player in even normal chess, let alone all the other variants of Chess that come out, such as Hexagonal Chess, or even Three-Dimensional Chess, what this topic is about.  We've all seen Spock and Kirk go at it in Three-Dimensional Chess, Kirk beating Spock, Spock amazingly beating the computer (which should not have been possible) in "Court Martial" [TOS] or Barclay suggesting a move that places an opponent at checkmate in nine moves in "The Nth Degree" [TNG], and all other examples of this game.

I've heard people playing this game in real life before, and even seen actual limited Three-Dimensional Chess sets commercially sold a decade ago in magazines!  I also heard there's also different ways of playing this game, and probably different kinds of boards... Well, finally I'm interested enough in actually playing this game.  Has anyone actually tried this before, or even researched it?  I'd really like to know... Perhaps I can beat William Shatner at it some day. ;)

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
Re: About Three-Dimensional Chess...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 06:34:43 pm »
I saw a copy of the rules at one point.  They're out there along with instructions on how to build a board for it.  From what I recall, it's not particularly fun to play.  There are other 3d variants that have since been created that are more accessible.
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 08:43:52 pm »
I actually found a PC version of it a while ago- I'll look again and post if I can find it.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 08:50:42 pm »
A very long time ago , IE. Early 80's I made a basic Program on my C-64 using the 3d Chess rules, but I added another Dimension to It. Basicly when a Piece was moved, You had the Oppertunity to Delay It reappearing  for 1-5 moves. This added alot to the game.

I think somewhere around here though, I have the Rules, and I'll try to get them scanned for you Chris, along with the $$ I still owe you. and I'm sorry about that, I had hoped the Money would have been here sooner so that I could keep my promise to you.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 08:59:17 pm »
A very long time ago , IE. Early 80's I made a basic Program on my C-64 using the 3d Chess rules, but I added another Dimension to It. Basicly when a Piece was moved, You had the Oppertunity to Delay It reappearing  for 1-5 moves. This added alot to the game.

I think somewhere around here though, I have the Rules, and I'll try to get them scanned for you Chris, along with the $$ I still owe you. and I'm sorry about that, I had hoped the Money would have been here sooner so that I could keep my promise to you.

Stephen

You get thtfrom Diane Duane's books?

In one of them, Spock is playing Kirk and McCoy in 4 Demsional chess, in which the 4th demension is time- as you have discribed... though threy could 'time out' peices any number of turns IIRC.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Chris Johnson

• Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2004, 09:41:56 pm »

Stephen

You owe me money? lol

Two words: Wrong Chris. ;)

All of 'em are interesting enough to try out.  Now all I need are resources and people to play with. :)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2004, 09:54:22 pm »
Doh!. sorry man,  You'r right, I think I got the idea from those books, and I owe Chris Jones Money. My Complete Bad.

I owed him for Trying to get his radio Station back online, and then My Nephew Passed away, and I was unable to Complete The Debt I promised him.

Once again, My Brain as of late is in DUH! Mode.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Chris Johnson

• Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2004, 10:36:40 pm »
lol

I lost count on how many times people confused me for Chris Jones. :)

About your nephew though... I'm sorry... I feel for you, although I have not yet experience such a tragedy such as losing a nephew.  I might lose one of my cousins newly born to life a few months ago.

Okay, back on topic...

Offline dougkeenan

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 01:20:55 pm »
I actually found a PC version of it a while ago- I'll look again and post if I can find it.

www.parmen.com

Offline Julin Eurthyr

• Veltrassi Ambassador at Large
  • Lt. Commander
  • Back in Exile due to Win 7 - ISC RM/Strat Com.
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 06:49:15 am »
Many moons ago, I had a version that was essentially 3 chessboards stacked one on top of the other.  None of the "fancy" mini boards etc. etc.

Pieces moved "as normal", but also accounted for the vertical aspect - rooks could go straight up/down, Knights could go down 2 boards then move one square (their "L" move), bishops still had to move diagonally as well...

AKA: Koloth Kinshaya - Lord of the House Kinshaya in the Klingon Empire
S'Leth - Romulan Admiral
Some anonymous strongman in Prime Industries

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 07:47:45 am »
Corb has a sub forum on this topic in the other game menu.  Good to see you old timers again.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 10:26:57 am »
Many moons ago, I had a version that was essentially 3 chessboards stacked one on top of the other.  None of the "fancy" mini boards etc. etc.

Pieces moved "as normal", but also accounted for the vertical aspect - rooks could go straight up/down, Knights could go down 2 boards then move one square (their "L" move), bishops still had to move diagonally as well...

I believe you are referring to Millenium Chess, put out around 2000 (hence the name). My dad bought a similar game back in the the '70s.That format seems to pop up now and again.

Corb has a sub forum on this topic in the other game menu.  Good to see you old timers again.

Not quite. My version has nothing to do with the "original" rules created in 1976 by Andrew Bartmess and subsequently modified by various people over the years in order to make sense of it all.  Here's a link explaining all of that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-dimensional_chess. My rules are all new and designed with chess in mind, not creating a new type of game with "uber pawns" and such. Part of the reason I did my rules was because it was apparent to me that Mr.Bartmess had never played chess seriously in his life, and the enormous holes in his rules that needed all that modding are proof of that, not to mention it uses an outdated system of notation that hasn't been used in about thirty-five years.

This is all rather funny though as we are responding to a ten year old thread that most of the people that posted don't come around any more. :crazy2: