Topic: Crystalline Tholian models -- Posting in their own thread  (Read 20252 times)

Offline Brezgonne

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Crystalline Tholian models -- Posting in their own thread
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2004, 12:16:15 pm »
What big project?

I have the Arachno PF, Neo PF, Neo FF, DD, BB and the Crystal DN and BB.

Maybe some bases to.
----------------

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2004, 12:33:07 pm »
Yeah, chris, he keeps surprising me too. Seems he finishes two models b4 I can post the 1st one, heh.

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2004, 01:08:20 pm »
Okay, for me it would be, Brez. *shrug* But good job.

By the way... I thought "Tholia" was an Akiraprise term for the Tholian homeworld... I guess that's just me wondering why Vulcans don't name their homeworld Vulca. *shrug* lol

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline Brezgonne

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2004, 03:39:49 pm »
Tholia is the Holdfast capital and a small dyson's sphere with 20 F&E PDUs. It's the single most heavuly fortified position in the known galaxy.

What I did for the moment (till I think of something better) was to take a planet model and surround it with web.
----------------

Offline Chris Johnson

• Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2004, 03:46:36 pm »
I was sort-of aware of what it was, what I wasn't aware of was what its true name was, aside from the readout of homeworlds from "Akiraprise".  I think it's just lack of originality to just call planets after the name of the species and remove the letter n.  I never truely thought that the original name of the Tholian homeworld was Tholia.  I figured "Tholia" was some lame Terran/Federation designation, much like how the Vulcan offshoot race began to be called "Romulans".  But this is only me I guess. *shrug*

Offline Brezgonne

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2004, 04:57:45 pm »
It's not the homeworld. It's one of a dozen or so a regional capitals from their home galaxy. There were/are 11 or so more of them out there somewhere.

And no, I don't think they call it Tholia either. And yes I agree it's a Federation/Klingon name that the Tholians don't really care if the puny carbon races use.

In F&E a major planet (Say, earth) produces 5 EP. The Tholian dyson's sphere produces 20 (TWENTY) EP. As a single "planet", it would be the single greatest prize to capture for any of the Tholians enemies.

That is, If they can get past the 120 Ph4s, 480 Ph3s, 20 Sensor bases, 240 fighters, 120 PFs, 2 Layers of web, the entire Tholian fleet, and the STARBASE that is around/on the sphere. (F&E: 20 PDUs + Starbase + average ships = 380 Attack value vs about a max of 180 AV for the attacker if they used all DNs)

Perspective: Most of the capital worlds have about a quarter (1/4) of the PDUs that Tholia has. Hydrax I think had about 10 PDUs by the time the Klingons and Lyrans came and bombed it again.
----------------

Offline Brezgonne

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2004, 01:48:46 pm »
Anyone want to see a draft Crystal DN/BB?

----------------

Offline Brezgonne

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2004, 01:51:02 pm »
comments? Suggestions.

I know Dizzy will find something he doesn't like about it lol
----------------

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2004, 02:34:57 pm »
Crysataline versions of thols need to be beautiful to behold and scary looking at the same time. That does the job well enough.

I do think it looks too short tho. give it the S t r e t c h. ;)

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• Semi retired, but I am still around
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2004, 02:46:56 pm »
Brez, those models are way too cool, + karma for you... ;D

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW
SILENCE.....I keel you!!!

Offline Brezgonne

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2004, 03:03:27 pm »
Dizzy: It's actually slightly longer than it looks in that picture. The JPG compression just made the rear spike hard to see.

It's also longer than the B10  :multi:
----------------

Offline Chris Johnson

• Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2004, 03:49:25 pm »
Ships don't necessarily to be beautiful nor scary, as form follows function.  In Brez's recent Tholian models, it has a functional form without sacrificing beauty, and adding a hint of scariness I guess.  The DN/BB is no exception.  I never thought Tholian ships would necessarily be scary, but would definately be crystal-like.  That's why I like Brez's recent models.

You can sacrifice scariness Brez, or keep closer to the SFB Tholians if you want, or keep going on original like this, Brez.  In any case, I'll be behind you as long as they're crystalline-like and you are portraying them very well in said area (as you are doing now).  I would definately use all your new Tholian ships as I have with your old ones.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2004, 04:00:54 pm »
yeah, these are intimidating as hell...i would hate to have to go up against one of these.

I cant wait to grab them.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Brezgonne

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2004, 08:19:32 pm »
Wheee! Here is the Crystal Light Cruiser..... (Ie; I figured out where to stick my old Xeon model  ::) )

----------------

Offline Reverend

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2004, 10:56:36 pm »
THese are beautiful, absolutely beautiful!!! I play your old fleet quite a bit in a private mod I made...
these new textures are brilliant, directly as well as idea-wise (damn, lost the words I was going to use).

One thing I wanted to ask of you, if its even your care to do so.... not insinuating that these aren't good enough, by any means, just a thought.... or one I always wanted to ask..

Is it possible that you would want to make a more futuristic version of these hulls, and maybe even keeping the same textures? Lets say, for a custom TNG or even post-VOY campaign? I have ideas in my head, but I cannot even draw a smiley face on paper. Something really interesting or wild would be neat. Maybe a new BC, DN, not even a whole fleet just a few would be neat too.
Again, these are marvelous designs, but the above was just somethingI always wanted to ask, hopefully this is in the right tone and context.
If you are not really interested, just disregard, its fine, but I thought it could be fun.

Either way-
Thanks for the great work, keep it coming...

Offline Chris Johnson

• Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2004, 12:01:35 am »
Although I'm not Brez, I must ask Rev, do you mean like more crystalized TNG versions of SFB Tholians?  That would be nice, but I'm not sure... I'm happy with what I have, and about to, whenever these get released. ;)

I really don't have much reccomendations, Brez; the CL model is quite good for your new take on Tholian ships.

Offline Brezgonne

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2004, 02:14:41 am »
Well if I had somewhere I could upload like 50 MB of model and texture files, you guys would have them already  :lol:

Though to tell the truth, the two files (textures and models) come up to around 7.5 MB if I include all the draft version of Tholia.

I've got these done:

Neo
NCL, NCA, NDN, NBB

Arachno
PC/DD, CL/CA/CC, CW, BC/DN

Both
PF, NSB (Starbase)

Crystal Tholians
Gunship, PC, DD, CL, CA, DN/BB

------
Drafts
Nine or ten differant versions of Tholia. Meta-construction is suprisingly diffcult to make look nice  :banghead:

----
Things to do

Find a Tholia model I actually LIKE.

Make the Neo NDD and NFF.

Make a fighter model.

Make a BATS model.

Umm... thats about it.
----------------

Offline Brezgonne

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2004, 04:54:34 am »
Ya know... you guys are allowed to say if something sucks or not :P
----------------

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2004, 05:22:35 am »
Thats just it, they dont!
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Reverend

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2004, 07:24:17 am »
agreed!

None of the free space/hosting did you any good? Are you able to drop any poiles on those models? Not that it matters really.... heck, worse comes to worse,we can mail them back and forth- I have a cable connection, and will run Messenger all day for everyone...