Topic: Fond Memories !  (Read 739 times)

Offline C-Los

• Lt. Junior Grade
Fond Memories !
« on: September 15, 2004, 06:57:29 am »
     How many of you remember ??... I do.

The principle use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress
underneath, but along with that, it served as a holder for removing hot pans from the oven.  It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.  From the chicken-coop the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came those aprons were ideal hiding places
for shy kids; And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms. Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.  Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.  From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables.  After the peas had been shelled it carried out the hulls.

In the fall the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen
from the trees.  When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.  When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner. It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that "old-time apron" that served so many purposes.

REMEMBER THIS!
"Grandma use to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool.  Her granddaughter's set theirs on the window sill to thaw."

My Grandmother was 5' 2 with Long silver hair that would fold twice on the floor when she let it down to brush it... :)

The "FOOD" she could cook on a wood burning stove...I've tasted nothing like it since !

C-Los, Commanding Officer U.S.S. Scorpion

"Life is short, have fun and enjoy !"

Offline Rolling

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Costume for my next play.
Re: Fond Memories !
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 07:43:08 am »
nice and so true!!!
Always chew more than you can bite.

Offline Capt. Mike

• Live from Granpa's Grotto
  • Captain
Re: Fond Memories !
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 08:07:27 pm »
My grandmother, who unfortunately passed away in '71, just as her oldest grandson (me) started my senior year of high school..made the best dumplings, roast beast, pancakes, etc...fortunately she didn't mind teaching me to cook

I remember when I was 10 or so, my dad and uncle were getting real good into an arguement (almost came to fists a flying) when Grandma B (all 4'10" of her) pushed an ottoman between them, stood on it (they were both 6' tall), grabbed thier ears and banged thier heads together..and said "You will not fight in my house"...gave me a new insight into who was in charge of the family...but I loved her, and still miss her.  BTW, she was born in 1896, immigrated from Germany in 1903..

Thanks for reminding me of great times

Mike
Summum ius summa iniuria.

The more law, the less justice.

Cicero, De Officiis, I, 33

"It doesn't, and you can't, I won't, and it don't
it hasn't, it isn't, it even ain't, and it shouldn't
it couldn't"
FZ, 1974

My chops were not as fast...[but] I just leaned more on what was in my mind than what was in my chops.  I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will probably whip the guy with twenty notes.
 --Les Paul