Chieftec full tower case

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: Rig Specs
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2004, 06:53:01 am »
Currently,

2- 37.4GB WD Raptors(10000rpm) in Raid 0

Hay Elvis here is some interesting reading on Raid 0 configurations, you might find it interesting.

http://anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101

Enjoy.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2004, 04:38:53 pm »
well my come is

amd athlon 1533 mhz
my ram is crucial  256mb 184-pin dimm 32x64 ddr pc2700
one cd burner hp 9100
one dvd-rom lg
4 hd 2 intern 2 outside 2x80 1x40 1x20

video card is nvidia or is it the mothre board well sound card and video card are part of the mother board
my cable modem is doxport com21

if there anything esle well i don't know much :)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2004, 09:03:05 pm »
P4 3.2
1 GB (2 512) of ddr 3200 (crucial i tinkk...)
Geforce fx 5900 128 mb (going to upgrade to 6800 eventually)
Sound blaster audigy 2 ZS
Tv tuner :)
DVD/CD-rw (liteon)
120 GB WD SATA HD
Asus Mobo

All inside a big Antec Plusview 1000?
weighs in at around 45-50 pounds (sucked shipping it home)

Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2004, 09:05:13 pm »
Hey Tus,

What Kind of TV tuner do you have? I've been looking around at them, But I have no Idea what to buy as far as Having Digital Cable.

stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Lord High Master of Justice
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2004, 09:09:20 pm »
Sheesh.  All I know is I have an e-machine off the shelf with a cdrw.

NPR is a lot like NASCAR.  Two hundred miles an hour in a circle, and you end up right back where you started with nothing but lost time for the effort.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2004, 09:25:26 pm »
Hey Tus,

What Kind of TV tuner do you have? I've been looking around at them, But I have no Idea what to buy as far as Having Digital Cable.

stephen

your best bet would be to look on www.newegg.com  not sure what i have as i'm not in my room to take a look (i can never remember my specs exactly... only time that happened was when i first put my system together lol)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2004, 09:27:39 pm »
So, if I can ask a silly question, I was told that my hard drive is called a big foot and that is what slows down my response time, as well as having less than 128k of ram on the mother board (?).  What should I do and what would be the benefits?

NPR is a lot like NASCAR.  Two hundred miles an hour in a circle, and you end up right back where you started with nothing but lost time for the effort.

Offline Elvis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2004, 10:16:21 pm »
Hay Elvis here is some interesting reading on Raid 0 configurations, you might find it interesting.

Don't believe everything you read.... ;)

There is always someone wanting to pop my balloon.  8)

I read it when it first came out, I'm not going to say its faster the numbers don't prove it in the benchmarks; but it certainly feels fast. My motherboard supported RAID 0, and those hard drives were the best at the time, so I bought a couple. AT some point I'm going to add a storage drive and I'm eyeing one of those 300GB, 16MB buffer monsters.

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2004, 07:47:59 am »
Commodore 64?  I know I can beat that.  I had a +4!!

Offline Redshift the Kook

• Nondescript
  • Lt.
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2004, 09:01:07 am »
So, if I can ask a silly question, I was told that my hard drive is called a big foot and that is what slows down my response time, as well as having less than 128k of ram on the mother board (?).  What should I do and what would be the benefits?

I've never heard of a bigfoot hard drive. And trust me, you have more than 128K of memory ;)

Right click on My Computer and select properties, under computer near the bottom it will tell you what processor and the amount of memory you have.

Edit: OK, I can see you got some help in the other thread.  8)
All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being obvious.

Offline wulf111

• Member of OutaLance Shipyards
  • Lt.
  • OutaLance, Where Dreams Become a Reality
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2004, 09:12:46 am »
The name "bigfoot" is refering to the physical size of your hard drive normally hard drives come in the standard 3.5 inch width, the bigfoot is a 5.25 inches wide and were made to fit better in the open 5.25 bay slots in the case. normally the bigfoot ran at a slower RPM (mostly 5400 RPM) that its 3.5" counterparts wich reduced the performance of the read and write times on the HDD.

as fo rthe 128k are you sure its not 128Mb of ram ?

Chuck Norris floats like a butterfly and stings like a tomahawk missile. At mach 3. In the face.

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2004, 10:00:47 am »
I posted the information that I got from the site Stephen provided a link to, (+1).  But to be honest, it is all chinese to me. I put it in the Angel Slayer thread he started here.  Should have called the thread 'Computers for Dummies' considering it is me that is asking the questions.

Offline wulf111

• Lt.
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2004, 10:08:25 am »
dont feel bad Angel Slayer there are so many people out there that do not know much about computers and you are no dummy you are just not computer savy and alot of us here work in the computer industry if you ever have any questions please feel free to email me and ill be glad to answer it for you <wulf111@gmail.com

Chuck Norris floats like a butterfly and stings like a tomahawk missile. At mach 3. In the face.

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2004, 10:10:45 am »
I appreciate it.  My next system is being built by WillWeasel.  He started naming parts and I just told him to put the thing together.  I didn't understand anything he said.  So, I just put it in his hands.  But I am interested in learning about them.  I've started buying mags and such, but I know I've got a loooong way to go.

Offline wulf111

• Lt.
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2004, 10:17:03 am »
i can recomend CPU and Maximum PC are great magazines

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2004, 10:18:54 am »
Then I'll look for them.  By the way, my e-mail is angelslayer.angel@gmail.com

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2004, 06:35:04 pm »

I would agree with those.  Too bad Byte was killed.  :(

I would also add that I ceased reading any magazine from Ziff-Davis as their "Editor's Choice" and reviews had become clearly dictated by who had the most advertising in the magazine.  The bias made the magazines worthless.  So either stay away from them or take their info with a very large helping of cynicism.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2004, 07:54:40 pm »

I would agree with those.  Too bad Byte was killed.  :(

I would also add that I ceased reading any magazine from Ziff-Davis as their "Editor's Choice" and reviews had become clearly dictated by who had the most advertising in the magazine.  The bias made the magazines worthless.  So either stay away from them or take their info with a very large helping of cynicism.

I have to agree with the above Maximum PC is probably the best computer magazine I have seen in a while.  Max PC doesn't seem to care who puts ads in their magazine, if the product stinks they will say so.  That seems to be the opposite of Ziff-Davis Mag's, I sometimes have to wonder if they even installed the products before they wrote the review.  Personally if I want to read a product review, I'll go read reviews at places like Newegg, at least I know the people used the products they reviewed.