Topic: Buck Rogers!!!!!!  (Read 7412 times)

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
Buck Rogers!!!!!!
« on: October 13, 2004, 09:01:03 am »
Hmm, I think this series was noted a few months ago on the Taldren forums.  I've seen a few episodes.  It had Erin Grey, and was a space show that came out in the early 80's.

From what I understand it is coming out on DVD!

I'm seriously considering getting it.  It's going to be the entirety of the show, but I don't think it has any extras with it...as far as I can tell.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Gambler

• Lt. Commander
  • Don't bet on it
Re: Buck Rogers!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 09:05:53 am »
If my hormones remember correctly, it was in the late 70's.  Talk about space schlock.  But damn they knew how to dress the women.

While it's a fun show, I can't see popping for the DVD's.
I'm a Man
But I can change
If I have to
I guess

WWJKD - What Would Jim Kirk Do

I thank God I grew up in an age when a kid could still play with things that could put his eye out.

Offline Chris SI

• Gone again
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 09:20:27 am »
Buck came out in the 80s, and Wilma was like no other space babe in the world!
Taldren poster known as FFZ

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 01:29:33 pm »
i'd have to agree with Gambler about it not being worth the bucks to get it on DVD.
Only in America .....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 01:35:52 pm »
It came out in 1939, and Buster Crabbe Rocked the House.  ;)

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 02:19:44 pm »
I don't know, amazon has it for 60 to 70 dollars, for the entire run...I think I'll sink the money into it myself.

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 02:28:05 pm »

I make it my policy to never pass up chances to post pictures of Erin Gray.

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 02:31:37 pm »
I was wondering when they would show up Scippy.

BTW, I might Still have the Centenial Buck Rogers novel around here somewhere.

The major Differance , was that Buck was exploring a Cave when a Cave in happened. He was froze for 500 years, only to be revived in the Future. A good read, But alot differant then the Movies / Series.

stephen

BTW Dash and Others Might be interested in this.

http://www.filmfax.com/features/pdf/buster_crabbe.pdf
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline S'Raek

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 02:51:21 pm »
It came out in 1939, and Buster Crabbe Rocked the House.  ;)

Stephen

You are an old, old man!   ;D

Ummmmmmm.......Erin Grey!  One of my first TV crushes. 

Veritas vos Liberabit -- Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 02:55:11 pm »
Actually, I was lucky to be Raised Pretty much by my Grandmother, who used to tell me stories of Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, Tom Swift, Tarzan, etc. From Old Movie seriels she could recall. It brought a fascination to the mind of a young boy, and BEM mags became a staple for many a year.

Stephen

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 06:11:56 pm »
Thanks for the article.

On another note, mentioning Tom Swift, I've recently read two books from a library about Tom Swift, one was seemingly from the 50's and was called Tom Swift in the Race to the Moon.

The other one seemed almost like a completely different series, but was also by the same author apparantly and was a Tom Swift book called The War in Outer Space.

Anyone know much about these books?

-------

Offline Capt. Mike

• Live from Granpa's Grotto
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 08:27:28 pm »
As I have posted previously  http://www.literature.org/authors/

But to give a taste of the authors:

Aesop
James Matthew Barrie
L. Frank Baum
Anne Bronte
Charlotte Bronte
Emily Bronte
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Lewis Carroll
Willa Cather
Wilkie Collins
Stephen Crane
Charles Darwin
Honore de Balzac
Rene Descartes
Charles Dickens
Arthur Conan Doyle
Alexandre Dumas
Thomas Hughes
William Kemp
Jack London
John Milton
Lucy Maud Montgomery
E. Phillips Oppenheim
Edgar Allan Poe
Mary Shelley
Bram Stoker
Leo Tolstoy
Mark Twain
Jules Verne
Voltaire

mike
Summum ius summa iniuria.

The more law, the less justice.

Cicero, De Officiis, I, 33

"It doesn't, and you can't, I won't, and it don't
it hasn't, it isn't, it even ain't, and it shouldn't
it couldn't"
FZ, 1974

My chops were not as fast...[but] I just leaned more on what was in my mind than what was in my chops.  I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will probably whip the guy with twenty notes.
 --Les Paul

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 09:17:12 pm »
Great List Capt. Mike, thanks.

Stephen

Offline Capt. Mike

• Live from Granpa's Grotto
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2004, 09:51:47 pm »
I especially like ERB, since my hardbound copies are sealed in the attic..and I love Barsoom, and the way the women dress..heh heh..but the action is good, too..my favorite is "The Chessmen of Mars"

That, and the Tarzan stories  great stuff

Mike

Summum ius summa iniuria.

The more law, the less justice.

Cicero, De Officiis, I, 33

"It doesn't, and you can't, I won't, and it don't
it hasn't, it isn't, it even ain't, and it shouldn't
it couldn't"
FZ, 1974

My chops were not as fast...[but] I just leaned more on what was in my mind than what was in my chops.  I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will probably whip the guy with twenty notes.
 --Les Paul

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 10:13:08 pm »
Thanks for the article.

On another note, mentioning Tom Swift, I've recently read two books from a library about Tom Swift, one was seemingly from the 50's and was called Tom Swift in the Race to the Moon.

The other one seemed almost like a completely different series, but was also by the same author apparantly and was a Tom Swift book called The War in Outer Space.

Anyone know much about these books?

You might like this Tom Swift Link
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2004, 01:50:02 am »

The major Differance , was that Buck was exploring a Cave when a Cave in happened. He was froze for 500 years, only to be revived in the Future. A good read, But alot differant then the Movies / Series.

I have that novel!  Armageddon 2419 AD by Philip Francis Nowlan.  I bought it at a bookfair soon after the TV series started.

Someday I must reread it.  At the time, I enjoyed it a lot.  Alien occupation.  Jetpacks.  Lasers.  Invulnerable shields that proved worthless when you "lasered" the ground out from under them.  And of course, I pictured Erin Grey as Wilma Deering.  What more could a young adolescent boy want?

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2004, 01:54:47 am »

I have that novel!  Armageddon 2419 AD by Philip Francis Nowlan.  I bought it at a bookfair soon after the TV series started.

Someday I must reread it.  At the time, I enjoyed it a lot.  Alien occupation.  Jetpacks.  Lasers.  Invulnerable shields that proved worthless when you "lasered" the ground out from under them.  And of course, I pictured Erin Grey as Wilma Deering.  What more could a young adolescent boy want?

-S'Cipio

Dude, I can't find my Copy, Would you please, please, please, when your done reading It, Let me borrow It, So I can read It again?

It's been along time ago since I last read It, and would love to give it a go again. Of course, while I Visualise Erin Grey, I promise not to Get the Pages uhm sticky.

Stephen

PS. With my thumbs turning the pages you perves.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2004, 05:05:00 pm »
Those who like Armageddon 2419 AD as I do might find the books that continue the story interesting.  There were several in the 1980's based on outlines by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. 

Offhand I don't  remember the titles or authors, sorry.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2004, 05:09:46 pm »
I'll have to check on them then, they where Pretty good for that Kind of Space Opera type stuff.

stephen

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2004, 05:27:13 pm »
Mordred, by John Eric Holmes
Warrior's Blood, by Richard S. McEnroe
Warriors World by Richard McEnroe

It bugged me so I looked it up.  Only these 3 that I could find unfortunately.  I thought that they had some good ideas while staying true to the original.