Topic: May I have your attention please...  (Read 3938 times)

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
May I have your attention please...
« on: October 13, 2004, 06:40:39 pm »
I would like to nominate for the honor of the Asimov's Award for Literature to Hstaphath_XC for his work on Monty Python: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

In accordance with the procedures laid out here: http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163347272.0.html We will need two people to second and third? that nomination, for Hsta to recieve the award.

I hope many of you agree that he deserves to be the first one here with that prestigious award.

Lieutenant Q
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: May I have your attention please...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 06:45:28 pm »
I would be most Happy to second that, Unless only another writer can do so.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Strafer

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 09:45:23 pm »
I'll follow the motion behind Stephen.
--
Code: [Select]
Lineage II
Server                           Sieghardt                    deviantrealms.com (dead)
Chars       Strafer          L24 Rogue                  L64 Hawkeye
                StrayFar       L64 Tyrant                  L51 Tyrant
                StrawFur      L37 Scavenger            L49 Bounty Hunter
                StraightFour L62 Shillen Elder         L53 Shillen Elder

Offline Hstaphath_XC

• The Official Bard of XenoCorp
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt.
  • Captain, XC Hydran Squadron
    • The XC Bard's Corner
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 02:46:27 pm »
Wow.  I am very honored that I would even be considered for this given the high quality of actual sci fi that is posted in fanfic.

I'm serious.  Compared to our writing group here, I feel like a "cut and paste" hack.   :-\

This is the first that I have heard of these awards and I'm not really clear on what is involved, but the positive mental boost I've just been given from this thread will certainly get me through the bitter-sweet home stretch of finishing this octopus I started 3 years ago.

Thanks.  I mean it.
Hilaritas sapientiae et bonae vitae proles.

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 08:43:53 pm »
Hsta, I don't consider it to be hacking.  Good parody is hard to do and you've done a bang-up job.
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."

Offline Hstaphath_XC

• XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt.
    • The XC Bard's Corner
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 04:04:17 pm »
Hsta, I don't consider it to be hacking.  Good parody is hard to do and you've done a bang-up job.

Okay, now that I have had a few people contact me stating this very thing, I may actually have to concede the point that my parody work allows me to be worthy of being in such excellent company here.

At least, right up until I finish this and start posting song parodies again.  ;)

Offline drb

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 12:42:11 am »
Hoi Folks,

I must agree with kadh2000. Parody places constraints on the writer an "original" work is not prone to. I am having quite an experience with The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner over in the D2 forums. I was thinking I could throw it together in 2 weeks, given; I know the poem well, and I have a huge lexicon at my disposal for starfleet. Well, I have thrown out so many ideas because they either ruin the flow of the poem and its progression, or they compromise the starfleet/dyna continuity.The reality of combining a complete work with an unrelated subject matter while doing honor to both is tough enough, but you are meshing much more material from many sources. Getting that juxtaposition with all the material requires being able to see the whole of the works (somebody else's work at that.) If you lose sight of the whole, the pieces will not fit resulting in writing yourself into a corner, or making a connection that readers can not follow.   
You, Hstaphath, have written well. Now, me thinks you protest too much; accept the award and get back to work! We want more funny stuff! hehe

Take care

drb

P.S. I am working on a fiction that tells the story of my dyna alter ego drb, a Hydran. When I finish the poem mentioned above I will be posting my fiction here. Why? Simple there is great talent on these boards and I am looking for honest feedback on my story telling style. I will try to get a thread going soon.

Offline Hstaphath_XC

• XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt.
    • The XC Bard's Corner
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 12:54:58 pm »
...You, Hstaphath, have written well. Now, me thinks you protest too much; accept the award and get back to work! We want more funny stuff! hehe

Thanks drb, will do!   ;D

I am working on a fiction that tells the story of my dyna alter ego drb, a Hydran...

Whoohooo!  I, for one, would LOVE to see this!!!