Topic: Mod idea - its a bit about modeling and specfile  (Read 1854 times)

Offline dogfighter

• Lt. Junior Grade
Mod idea - its a bit about modeling and specfile
« on: October 19, 2004, 10:54:23 am »

i read about federation phaser systems lately and i was wondering if those theories are compatible with sfc op.
it was about phasers and the number of emiters mounted on federation ships.
lets take the conny refit as an example: there are 18 vissible emiters on the ship 6 doubleemiters and 6single emiters. the article said all those emiters are linked to 6 phasers and the ship can fire them from every desired
emiter. i thought a while about that and tried some stuff with ship edit. normaly all phasers are mounted on the yellow colored ui hardpoints (hardpoint 11 to hardpoint 25). only the weapons linked to these hardpoints will be loaded by the phasercapacitor.additional phasers on hardpoint 1-10(heavy weapon hardpoints) will work differently.
they will only work like emiters.
lets take an hypothetical example(we will ignore heavy weapons for a moment since they will always work the same on every harpoint): the federation ca aka constitotion class. lets asume the phasers on the saucer are aranged like that: hp11: 4xPh1 FA ; hp2: 4x Ph1 SFBR ; hp3: 4xPh1 SFBL. The phasers on the secondary hull are on hp16: 4xph1 ALL and on hp17: 2xPh1 RA.
if the constitution has its phasers aranged like that it has 10 phasers on the yellow primary weapons hardpoints and 8 on the purple(?) heavy weapon hardpoints.
In game the capaciter will load enough energy to fire 10 Phasers.so your ship effectivly can use 10 phasers. but the game doesnt care which hardpoint will be used to fire them.
Lets get into an ingame example: u re flying the constitution we just configured and there is an enemy vessel in front of u. the enemy is now in the firing arcs oh hp11(4xph1 FA) and hp16(4xph1 ALL).Everything works  normal at this moment. the phasers 8 will come from hardpoint 11 and 16.
Next step: the enemy is now on your portside andy your pahse capacitor is loaded. the enemy is now in the firing arc of hp3 (4xph1 SFBL) and hp16 (4xPh1 ALL) (Note again that hp3 is a heavy weapon hardpoint in shipedit!)
U press the fire button and the phasers will fire from those hardpoints. that means u have used up the energy of 8 phasers - leaving u with the energy to fire 2 phasers. in that moment the enemy comes into your forward firing arc of hp11 (4xph1 FA). you press fire and although all weapons on hp11 are ready u will only see it firing twice.
So u see hp3 was only used as emiters. your ship has 18 emiters but only 10 phasers.
that opens some possibilities for a mod.using the hardpoints that way would allow some better balancing if u want to make a canon mod with feds using ph1(max 9 damage points) and klingons using no phasers at all but standart disruptors (only 5 damagepoints at twice the cost to fire a phaser).
another nice possibility comes in mind when u try to disable the enemy: if u know where the "real" phasers are mounted u can make some hit and run attacks and that way u can disable the phaser using ships faster wich works as a balancing factor against the flexibility of the phasers (high damage, no holding energy, low energy costs,disable setting).
using the hardpoints the way discribed smaler ships can also have alot of "emiters" giving them very good firing arcs but only some phasers. it would make the samler ships alot more deadlier and more usefull.

the only problem is that u will need a ui with alot of hardpoints to use them in game. still - it is possible to to use the starbase ui wich gives u a big loed of hardpoints. and the Model hardpoinst will have to be adjusted on the modfile to have the weapons firing from the right places. the last thing is alot of work since there are alot of models out there but since the idea only aplies to phaser using ships and most races are non canon (and as such can be moded without getting trouble with canon) the whole thing works best with fedships.

well i hope i spelled everything right and please dont kill me for grammer mistake - english is not my native langluage

i just thought i share my ideas here.i know its mostly for canon stuff.

so: good idea? bad idea? would love to read some oppinions:)

ed

your sssship iss ssssoft!

Offline Merlinfmct87

• When I am dead, I hope it is said, 'His sins were scarlet and his books were read'. --Hillaire Belloc
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Riding Headfirst into a Hurricane...
Re: Mod idea - its a bit about modeling and specfile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 08:28:27 pm »
What usially happens is the extra emmiters don't get charged, period. They just wind up catching internals and serving no purpose. It's a novel idea, but won't work in the given engine. :(.

Merlin
Learned the Heart's Filthy Lesson from Joshua Watcher.

The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world own shame.
-Oscar Wilde

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'
-Bob Newhart

Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent.
-Victor Hugo

He Took it all too far..but boy could he play guitar
-David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust