Topic: The PPD Rule  (Read 38062 times)

Offline KHH Jakle

• Lt.
The PPD Rule
« on: November 10, 2004, 03:59:21 pm »
Here's Phaser's recommendation:

would like the PPD rule tweaked further for ex....the lead ship could only carry 2 PPD's as its limit while the other 2 ships may carry a single PPD totaling the max 4 PPD's or the lead ship may carry all 4 PPD's and the other's would not have none.Most of the time the TBPV prolyy wont be high enough to field all 4 PPD's but at least it may bring in more ISC fleets.Last cycle we had a new ISC fleet join up and as they put it the PPD rule nerfs the ISC race thus causing them to drop out early.We the InterStellar Centurions  didn't have any trouble with the PPD rule as we found out, but it did make for some long borring plasma ballet's...

The other alternative is the original, which restricted PPD's as deployed on the 'Lead' ship (no limit) plus an additional ISC ship that carried only 1 PPD (the CM I think is the only ship that fit this decriptions)

State your preference...

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
Re: The PPD Rule
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 05:11:23 pm »
I have no problem with a 3 ships fleet fielding 4 PPDs.  Then again, we might go ISC next cycle  ;D
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Mutilator

• FSD whip
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 08:08:14 pm »
Yeah I think that is acceptable as well. I could even live with six if x2 ships are brought into play.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 09:09:40 pm »
Yeah I think that is acceptable as well. I could even live with six if x2 ships are brought into play.

Please leave the 2X crap dead and buried where it belongs  ;D

762_XC

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 10:02:06 pm »
PUHLEASE, X1 is bad enough.

Offline Kroma BaSyl

• Romulan Tart
  • Lt. Commander
  • Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 08:57:52 am »
I have no problem with a 3 ships fleet fielding 4 PPDs.  Then again, we might go ISC next cycle  ;D

Ditto on the first sentence. When hell freezes over on the second.
♥ ♥ ♥  GDA Kroma BaSyl  ♥ ♥ ♥
GCS Prima Ballerina
GCS PHAT Gorn
GCS Queen Kroma

Because this game makes me feel like  a thirteen year old girl trapped in a lizards body.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 09:09:32 am »
The other alternative is the original, which restricted PPD's as deployed on the 'Lead' ship (no limit) plus an additional ISC ship that carried only 1 PPD (the CM I think is the only ship that fit this decriptions)

The CAP-Y-Z can be used as well.

I would rather change the rule entirely and do it by size classes, but barring that I would leave it the same as it was. As I said to the GFL in another forum here - Get off the PPD crutch and learn how to fly ISC. I was coming up with killer fleets under the PBR rules. (If anyone thinks I am talking out my ass just ask anyone who knows me how well I fly ISC. Those ships make it really easy to look good.)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 09:19:43 am by Corbomite »

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 10:05:40 am »
I didn't have time to elaborate earlier so...

I would like to see PPD deployment a little looser in configuration choice not so much numbers. I think it should be scaled by the size of the commanding ship, but not restricted to that ship. This would allow for more imaginative fleet formations for the ISC. For example:

If the largest ship in the fleet is of CL(CM) class, then one PPD is allowed for a fleet of three.

If the largest ship in the fleet is of CA class, then two PPD's are allowed for a fleet of three.

If the largest ship in the fleet is of CC class, then three PPD's are allowed for a fleet of three.

If the largest ship in the fleet is of DN(BB) class, then four PPD's are allowed for a fleet of three.

If we allow the ISC to selectively place the PPD's where they like instead of just the Command ship they can use the Strike Cruiser more and not have to waste it on a Command slot for example (DNT, CSZ, CLZ comes to mind). Scaling it makes sense as larger fleet configs would be more prone to the heavier firepower as per SFB doctrine. Its not really that complicated as you only have to identify what size class you are in by your largest ship and follow the guidelines.

Offline Mutilator

• FSD whip
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2004, 01:22:42 pm »
I think Corbomite's idea  is the way to go. Looks logical and fair plus, should be easy to remember and apply to ship selection.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline [ISC]Phaser

• Fleet Admiral
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • "Fire in the Bowl"
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2004, 02:35:28 pm »
i dissagree,that basically is worse then the existing rule imo,concidering that the last 3 cycles we had to fly nothing but cl's cause of the tbpv ranges and they were mostly early to mid era matches..i still prefer my idea on the ppd rule..and no we ISC dont need the ppd's to win as we have proven..i would just like to see more ISC fleets join up i think with the current ppd rule and the one carbomite suggest that they will stop any more ISC fleets from comming in as most think the rule hurts the race..

p.s corbomite this comment you made... (If anyone thinks I am talking out my ass just ask anyone who knows me how well I fly ISC. Those ships make it really easy to look good.)  i think ur talking out of your ass, is there any chance you can meet us for some 3v3's so you can show us just how good those ships make ya look..ISC vs ISC  sound good to you??
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 02:49:15 pm by [ISC]Phaser »

Offline Kroma BaSyl

• Romulan Tart
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2004, 03:17:10 pm »
I think Corbomite's idea  is the way to go. Looks logical and fair plus, should be easy to remember and apply to ship selection.

4 PPD limit on a 3 ship fleet is easier to remember IMO.

Phaser, if you really got the balls fly him 1v1. My money is on Corb.

And Corb congrats for finally admitting it's the ship (CCZ) not the man. That took a lot of courage. <snicker>

There, I believe I have insulted everyone, my work is done here.

Love,
Kroma
GCS Prima Ballerina
GCS PHAT Gorn
GCS Queen Kroma

Because this game makes me feel like  a thirteen year old girl trapped in a lizards body.

762_XC

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2004, 04:19:11 pm »
I like Corb's idea. 4 PPD's in a DN based fleet is fine, but in a CL fleet is too much.

Get off the PPD crutch and learn how to fly ISC.

I coudn't agree more. If Gorn can win without any PPD's, ISC fleets sure don't need them on every ship.

Offline [ISC]Phaser

• Fleet Admiral
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • "Fire in the Bowl"
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2004, 07:00:03 pm »

4 PPD limit on a 3 ship fleet is easier to remember IMO.

Phaser, if you really got the balls fly him 1v1. My money is on Corb.

And Corb congrats for finally admitting it's the ship (CCZ) not the man. That took a lot of courage. <snicker>

There, I believe I have insulted everyone, my work is done here.

Love,
Kroma

i do have the balls have him look me up ..

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2004, 08:50:32 pm »
Phaser I have played you before, back when you were flying with FreddyZ123. We have had at least half a dozen games together, none of which I got my ass handed to me. My side won a few and we lost a few. The fact that we won is notable in itself because you guys always flew as a fleet in those games and matched up all the oddballs together who never flew with each other before. My schedule is tied up until Sunday and I'm not really a fan of grudge matches, but if you insist I can meet you some time then. I don't see how it will solve this PPD issue, but if it will make you feel better...

And Kroma, I never mentioned a CCZ. That's your particular cross to bear not mine. I'll be happy to kick yer scaly tutu wearing hide in any ISC ship.  :P

Four PPD's can strip the shields off of a CA or lower in no time at all. It is unfair to subjugate opposing fleets of those sizes to have to deal with that much firepower, especially when its going to be backed up by plasma. ISC ships are designed to be better than everyone else's and I think you are just going to have to deal with some limits to be deemed fair and competitive.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 09:46:35 pm by Corbomite »

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2004, 10:22:12 pm »

And Kroma, I never mentioned a CCZ. That's your particular cross to bear not mine. I'll be happy to kick yer scaly tutu wearing hide in any ISC ship.  :P

I can feel the love on GW4 Teamspeak Already  ;D

Offline Kroma BaSyl

• Romulan Tart
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2004, 07:01:01 am »

I can feel the love on GW4 Teamspeak Already  ;D

Just keep your hands to yourself Mr. I'm not that kind of Gorn.
GCS Prima Ballerina
GCS PHAT Gorn
GCS Queen Kroma

Offline KBF-Butcher

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2004, 07:44:33 am »
Yo corbomite i think nobody give a dam to ask anyone how good ISC pilot u r.
How much of a good pilot is anyone or his fleet has the chance to prove it in the battlefield and in no way by gloating in any forum.
I respect your opinion about the ppd rule since everyone has his opinion and the right to post it and im sure it ll be considered as it already did.
However statements like "ISC ships are designed to be better than everyone else's and I think you are just going to have to deal with some limits to be deemed fair and competitive" is completely wrong and ofcourse i take it as a joke.
There r obviously many different terms in any league where every single race has its best ships.
The mirak frigates in very low mid bpv the c7  BCF and BCHP at 180-200 the Lyran - FED - GORN  DNH at 260-270 these are only some examples that comes to my mind.No need to remind ya the "broken" hydran g2.
All races have their disadvantages and advantages depending the bpv era and the race of the enemy ship.
So its the team play and the skill of the pilots that fly the ships and not the ships that give u the win.
If there is one race that has just  a little advantage just cause has ships very competitive at most terms this would be feds in both games(EAW and OP).
As for your dam ppd s i ll tell u what ;join GSA this weekend and show us if u r able to fire more than ONCE the 4ppd flying the I-XCA against the Lyran Klig or Fed XCA(u choose)  ill fly and c how good your 2 S torps  will back up your ass  before  your ship will be destroyed.I hope u got my general point on this.

I suggest u back up your statements with actions.ISC will wait for ya in GSA.
respects

(forgive me about my english grammar and vocabulary; im a Greek)

Offline KHH Jakle

• Lt.
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2004, 09:34:21 am »
Whole lot o' chest puffing and no point  ::)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2004, 10:04:16 am »
First off we won't be flying X2 ships in this league so that is irrelevant to the issue at hand.

Second, me beating you (or Phaser) or you beating me won't prove a damn thing. This type of third grade attitude is what kept me out of SL and GZ in the first place. You people's scrotums are wound so tight you've forgotten how to have fun.

Third, ISC ships are designed to be better and that is reflected in their BPV's. They are usually a size class lower for the same cost. Their power curves in Early and Mid Eras is incredible and by the time late rolls around the weapons suite catches up so you have real energy maintenance to do (oh horror!). This also means less hull and shields most times, but that is made up for in maneuverability and good firing arcs.

Fourth, our fleet has pretty much decided to go ISC in this first go around so I am arguing to limit myself because know what four PPD's will do to smaller and mid sized ships and quite frankly that will be boring.

Fifth, if the only thing you guys will respond to is me wiping the floor with you or something then we can set it up. If that is how to earn your respect then so be it, but you will have to earn mine too. I will play you one at a time and you must beat me first in a plasma to plasma ship fight (if you can't handle plasma you don't deserve a PPD). If you win, then we will fight with PPD's. You may name the ship (same for both) and the era that we fly. We can use ships with PPD's as long as both parties promise to turn them off and not use them at all. I get to name the terrain if any. Medium map size.

Almost forgot...

Sixth, if I win we use my rule!  :P
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 10:19:22 am by Corbomite »

Offline KBF-Butcher

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2004, 12:05:59 pm »
First of all i dont give a dam about the 4th ppd rule , cause i dont think it will actually change anything.
I wrote that i respect your opinion and pointed out that it ll be considered as it already did.
I just disagreed with your statement that ISC ships are designed to be better and stated my arguements.

The x2 ships r not irrelevant at all , i picked them just because the I-XCA has the dam 4 ppd and wanted to show u that u would be able to use them just once  against races as fed klig and lyran .I didnt intend to personally challenge u to a fight on 1v1 so i can proove that i m better pilot from u ,but to show u that (not just in theory)  the plasma cant back up the isc ship  as much as u think and that in most cases  u wont be able to fire your ppd more than once.

If u dont like the x2 ships then feel free to choose the bpv.
All im saying is if u havent found a tactic or u dont have the skill yet to overcome ISC ships that might have  lead u to the conclusion that  "ISC are designed to be better" ,which to my opinion is definetely wrong.

Im glad FPF decided to go ISC cause this way u ll find out better what i mean when u ll get toasted by FSD or by hydran races with 14hornet2.Then u might reconsider your opinion .

As for the plasma vs plasma match  :D  im always open to good challenges and im looking forward to have fun flying against u or against your fleet in 3v3 matches (fun or league).

Im a gsa freak u ll find me most of the time there.

Respects