Topic: Romulans on Enterprise  (Read 4544 times)

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
Romulans on Enterprise
« on: December 06, 2004, 01:58:25 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 07:06:18 am by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien
DS9 : Tribunal

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Romulans on Enterprise
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 02:24:07 pm »
He was.  Given the slashed budget, the briefness of the scene, and the fact that their closets must be overflowing with those things, it kind of makes sense.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 03:31:55 pm »
I just finshed watching the rerun last night and I was wondering, why does the rommie in ent, have the same uniform that was uses in nemesis, i mean atleast let it be the uniform of tng, if they cant afford new costumes, but nemesis, i mean am i bugging or was he using the rommies uniform in nemesis??

Adam out

Note that the Klinks wear the uniforms of the movies too, in contrast to the uniforms worn by the Klingon Empire in TOS.

It's a valid piont.  However, I wasn't bugged by the uniform nearly so much as I was bugged by those damnable bumps on his forehead.  Ruffles have ridges, Romulans don't.  Even the TOS movies didn't cross that line.

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 03:39:00 pm »
I maintain that the reason that the Romulan in that scene was only ridged to clearly state that he was a Romulan and cast aside any doubt in the minds of the viewer.  Whether or not the other ones we'll see is up in the air, but at least these were fairly understated, not like the hideous ones used in Nemesis.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 03:53:34 pm »
I maintain that the reason that the Romulan in that scene was only ridged to clearly state that he was a Romulan and cast aside any doubt in the minds of the viewer.  Whether or not the other ones we'll see is up in the air, but at least these were fairly understated, not like the hideous ones used in Nemesis.

Sorry, I missed your other post.  I read this thread first.  I think that they could have made the same point with the classic TOS uniform  (which is similar to the one used in this episode, so I've little problem with it) and a brief mention that "Romulus will not be pleased with your failure."

In any event, now that a Romulan has been shown with ridges, I think we are likely stuck with them.  I can't see Enterprise suddenly abandoning ridges now that they've used them.

Of course, Trek 5 and Trek 6 used Romulan looking Romulans, and I'm fairly sure both were made after TNG had started the love affair with "all aliens -- including Romulans - have ridges".  I'll continue to hope.

-S'Cipio

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

Gorn Dragon Templar

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 06:18:28 pm »

Sorry, I missed your other post.  I read this thread first.  I think that they could have made the same point with the classic TOS uniform  (which is similar to the one used in this episode, so I've little problem with it) and a brief mention that "Romulus will not be pleased with your failure."

In any event, now that a Romulan has been shown with ridges, I think we are likely stuck with them.  I can't see Enterprise suddenly abandoning ridges now that they've used them.

Of course, Trek 5 and Trek 6 used Romulan looking Romulans, and I'm fairly sure both were made after TNG had started the love affair with "all aliens -- including Romulans - have ridges".  I'll continue to hope.

-S'Cipio

Since Spock didn't get "funny looks" on Romulus, I think its safe to assume that some Romulans have ridges, others do not.
From Me to You - The Beatles

If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything i can do,
Just call on me and i'll send it along
With love from me to you.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 11:24:56 pm »
Nah, he's the "Great Spock"; he gets away with everything.

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 11:29:03 pm »
Since Spock didn't get "funny looks" on Romulus, I think its safe to assume that some Romulans have ridges, others do not.

I always wondered about that.  How did he pass for Romulan, now that they've got those bumps on their head?

Of course, at the time, we hadn't met Tuvok yet, and we'd already had a TNG episode that had Vulcans with ridges.  So I just chalked it up to "Spock doesn't have ridges because he's half human," which would work on Romulus as well as on Vulcan.  That, and he seemed to spend a lot of time hiding underground.

-S'Cipio

Gorn Dragon Templar

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2004, 04:12:35 pm »
That would have to assume Dr. Selar (Schizoid Man) was only half Vulcan, since she didn't have any ridges.
From Me to You - The Beatles

If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything i can do,
Just call on me and i'll send it along
With love from me to you.