Topic: Possible to shift DV only with PvP missions?  (Read 3875 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Possible to shift DV only with PvP missions?
« on: November 24, 2004, 10:27:56 am »
Just a thought... I just compiled my first mission script successfully, but the hard part is ahead, I have yet to edit and run it.. ;)
I've got lots of ideas for scripting and if I have any luck with it I'll be full of more questions too!

Offline FPF-SCM_TraceyG_XC

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
Re: Possible to shift DV only with PvP missions?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 06:06:00 pm »
The mission script does not control how the DV shifts directly. If the mission is successful, the DV will change by 1 in favour of the player, if the mission is a failure, it will shift by 1 in the opposite direction, if it is a draw, no change. The mission result is controlled by the script, but not the DV change. This of course is when running with the flatfile.

Under SQL its a different story.
Captain FPF-TraceyG, Federation Protection Fleet

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA
Member of XenoCorp, Squadron Commodore

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 10:29:59 am »

I have yet to complete my first mission script, so perhaps I speak from ignorance.  (Now that I'm settled into the new house and done with wedding plans, I'll try to get back to scripting after GW4 concludes.)

However, it appears to me that the script can recognize whether or not you have drafted a live player.  Thus it would seem you could set up a conditional loop for reporting results.  If you didn't draft a live player, then could you not report any result as a draw?  Thus you could only change the DV if you draft a live player.

Mind you, I don't think this is a good idea.  I think players should be able to change the DV by having AI battles.  The enemy should not be able to protect a valuable hex by simply leaving it undefended.

A better idea might be to have the DV change by 1 if facing AI but by 10 if facing a live opponent.  I haven't spotted any clue as to how to do this with scripting, but Keltset has done it in his EAW servers by using SQL.

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell
-----------------------------------------

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2004, 04:57:53 pm »
Mind you, I don't think this is a good idea.  I think players should be able to change the DV by having AI battles.  The enemy should not be able to protect a valuable hex by simply leaving it undefended.

A better idea might be to have the DV change by 1 if facing AI but by 10 if facing a live opponent.  I haven't spotted any clue as to how to do this with scripting, but Keltset has done it in his EAW servers by using SQL.

Now that I think about it you are right, using SQL mission scripts to shift DV by 10 for PvP instead of 1 is a much better idea. I guess I'll stick with trying to get SQL working on the kit for now and fiddle around with scripting after...

It'd be too cool to see some Herr Bert missions!  8)

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 01:50:50 pm »
Yes...some kind of shift should happen just for running a mission...otherwise..in order to prevent your enemy from taking territory...you'd only have to stay out of the hex....and they could never swing the DV... ;)

Offline FPF-SCM_TraceyG_XC

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 11:10:28 pm »
Thats how it is on D3
Captain FPF-TraceyG, Federation Protection Fleet

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA
Member of XenoCorp, Squadron Commodore