Topic: Freely available and legal software.  (Read 135767 times)

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
Re: Freely available and legal software.
« Reply #320 on: July 07, 2009, 03:13:40 pm »
This is sort of like Cnet with reviews and downloads of good free software.

Gizmo Reviews

Offline manitoba1073

• FLEET ADMIRAL OF THE YARDS
  • Lt. Commander
    • manitobashipyards
« Reply #321 on: July 08, 2009, 10:47:36 am »
This is pretty kool. Called MikuMikuDance.
http://www.geocities.jp/higuchuu4/index_e.htm

heres a little sample of what I did with it. Just click on the picture

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #322 on: July 10, 2009, 03:09:35 pm »
I found these two on freshmeat today, both look interesting but I have not tried either yet.

SOFA - Statistics Open For All

The user-friendly, open-source statistics,
analysis, and reporting package

Chemical Structures

The Chemical Structures Project aims to provide a complete set of 3D molecular structures in CML format.  As CML format permits to include more than a simple structure, each file contains also additional informations, like molecular weight, boiling point, melting point or InChI code.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #323 on: July 11, 2009, 10:44:14 am »
Link to downloads

THE ELDER SCROLLS: ARENA™ (9 MB)
You can view the installation instructions here, or check the Docs folder after you run the EXE.

Minimum system requirements:
386/25 MHZ, DOS 5.0, 4MB RAM, 25MB HD Space, VGA graphics card, Mouse, Soundcard (Ensoniq, Aria, Roland, SoundBlaster, Ultrasound).

THE ELDER SCROLLS II: DAGGERFALL (148 MB)
You can view the installation instructions here.

Minimum system requirements:
486DX2/66 MHZ, DOS 6.0, 8MB RAM, 50MB HD Space, 256-color VGA graphics card, Mouse, Soundcard (Sound Blaster, Sound Blaster 16, AWE 32, Pro Audio Spectrum, Ensoniq Soundscape, Gravis Ultrasound).

To run it:
PLEASE NOTE: To run these games on newer systems, you will need to download an emulation program. We have provided a link to the DOSBox emulator below.

DOSBox website
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #324 on: July 25, 2009, 09:42:04 am »
I just love seeing the stuff we posted here ages ago like DOSBox and NSIS propagate throughout the free software world.  :)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #325 on: August 02, 2009, 09:14:06 am »
ElectronicLab Spin

Spin Name

Fedora Electronic Lab
Summary

Fedora Electronic Lab is Fedora's high-end hardware design and simulation platform. This platform provides different hardware design flows based on the semiconductor industry's current trend. FEL maps in three methodologies {design, simulation and verification} with opensource EDA software.

I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #326 on: August 09, 2009, 12:36:06 pm »
Kicad

Kicad is an open source (GPL) software for the creation of electronic schematic diagrams and printed circuit board artwork.

This software (using WXWIDGETS) is MULTI-PLATFORM. It is running under LINUX and Windows (XP or 2000), for which updates are regularly provided.

Offline _Rondo_GE The OutLaw

• Commodore
« Reply #327 on: August 09, 2009, 03:12:37 pm »
DaggerFall was released last mointh as a Freebee from Bethesda.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #328 on: August 13, 2009, 06:16:50 pm »
MCAD - modeling of dynamic systems

JMCAD is an program for the modeling and simulation of dynamic systems. This includes the ability to construct and simulate block diagrams. The visual block diagram interface offers a simple method for constructing, modifying complex system models.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #329 on: August 30, 2009, 12:12:21 pm »
With recent changes to php resulting in the loss of SMF's spell check, some users here may find this helpful (since IE does not have spell checking built in as other browsers do):

ieSpell - A Spell Checker for Internet Explorer

ieSpell is a free Internet Explorer browser extension that spell checks text input boxes on a webpage. It should come in particularly handy for users who do a lot of web-based text entry (e.g. web mails, forums, blogs, diaries). Even if your web application already includes spell checking functionality, you might still want to install this utility because it is definitely much faster than a server-side solution. Plus you get to store and use your personal word list across all your applications, instead of maintaining separate ones on each application

A right click in the post box gets you to the spell checker and while a little old, it seems to work fine. I just tested it in IE8 on Vista.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #330 on: October 03, 2009, 07:45:09 pm »
I have started a VERY over due update of the list.  Once it is up to date I'll be checking for obsolete links.  I know there are some.  Then comes updating the web page.

One program that I was surprised to see no one has suggested is:

Bit Torrent - Peer to Peer downloading
BitTorrent is the global standard for delivering high-quality files over the Internet. With an installed base of over 160 million clients worldwide, BitTorrent technology has turned conventional distribution economics on its head. The more popular a large video, audio or software file, the faster and cheaper it can be transferred with BitTorrent. The result is a better digital entertainment experience for everyone.

BitTorrent is a protocol (a set of rules and description of how to do things) allowing you to download files quickly by allowing people downloading the file to upload (distribute) parts of it at the same time. BitTorrent is often used for distribution of very large files, very popular files and files available for free, as it is a lot cheaper, faster and more efficient to distribute files using BitTorrent than a regular download.

BitTorrent 6 is a client. A 'client' in this case is a computer program that follows the rules of a protocol. For example, HTTP (HyperText Transfer Protocol) is the protocol used to download web pages and other content - like this page - and your HTTP client (or browser) is the program you use to get those web pages. Some popular browsers include Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, and Opera. To an extent, they all work the same way because they follow the same set of rules. The BitTorrent 6 client will give you access to the world of content on the protocol in a lightweight, fast and reliable package

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #331 on: October 03, 2009, 07:57:09 pm »
One of the "dead links" is the OpenCD but it has been replaced by the OpenDisc and OpenEducationDisc.

OpenDisc -
OpenEducationDisc -
Collection of free software on CD

Open Source

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #332 on: October 05, 2009, 03:23:15 pm »
I have started a VERY over due update of the list.  Once it is up to date I'll be checking for obsolete links.  I know there are some.  Then comes updating the web page.

One program that I was surprised to see no one has suggested is:

Bit Torrent - Peer to Peer downloading
BitTorrent is the global standard for delivering high-quality files over the Internet. With an installed base of over 160 million clients worldwide, BitTorrent technology has turned conventional distribution economics on its head. The more popular a large video, audio or software file, the faster and cheaper it can be transferred with BitTorrent. The result is a better digital entertainment experience for everyone.

BitTorrent is a protocol (a set of rules and description of how to do things) allowing you to download files quickly by allowing people downloading the file to upload (distribute) parts of it at the same time. BitTorrent is often used for distribution of very large files, very popular files and files available for free, as it is a lot cheaper, faster and more efficient to distribute files using BitTorrent than a regular download.

BitTorrent 6 is a client. A 'client' in this case is a computer program that follows the rules of a protocol. For example, HTTP (HyperText Transfer Protocol) is the protocol used to download web pages and other content - like this page - and your HTTP client (or browser) is the program you use to get those web pages. Some popular browsers include Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, and Opera. To an extent, they all work the same way because they follow the same set of rules. The BitTorrent 6 client will give you access to the world of content on the protocol in a lightweight, fast and reliable package

I now consider bittorrent malware. It installs a firefox plugin and windows service without asking permission or even any notification. Neither of which is necessary for the program to work. They may have since modified the installer but I will not check it. Burn me once...

Cool beans on the thread and site update! :thumbsup:

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #333 on: October 05, 2009, 04:41:30 pm »
I now consider bittorrent malware. It installs a firefox plugin and windows service without asking permission or even any notification. Neither of which is necessary for the program to work. They may have since modified the installer but I will not check it. Burn me once...

I wasn't aware that Bit Torrents connection with the movie industry had been so corrupting but it figures.

I typically use Ktorrent now myself.  Usually just to download the latest and greated Linux Mint version ;)

Cool beans on the thread and site update! :thumbsup:

I'm working on page 10 of this thread now.  It is going pretty well so far.  Before the week end I should be on the "bad link checking" phase.

The hard part will be refreshing my memory on the web page, I haven't written any html since creating the site.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #334 on: October 07, 2009, 09:36:18 am »
RootkitRevealer

Since this site won't display on my Firefox I'll just have to list the OS as "Windows?"

Page 10 is added to the list and I'm now onto page 11.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #335 on: October 08, 2009, 09:15:37 am »
Update complete. 

Next is the dead link and error search.  If anyone notices any please let me know. 

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #336 on: October 19, 2009, 03:53:31 pm »
The rootkitrevealer link redirected to this one for me now (in FF3.5):

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb897445.aspx

It is a windows utility.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #337 on: October 27, 2009, 11:01:22 pm »
Delta3D - game and simulation engine

About Delta3D

Delta3D is a widely used and well-supported open source game and simulation engine. Delta3D is a fully-featured game engine appropriate for a wide variety of uses including training, education, visualization, and entertainment. Delta3D is unique because it offers features specifically suited to the Modeling and Simulation and DoD communities such as High Level Architecture (HLA), After Action Review (AAR), large scale terrain support, and SCORM Learning Management System (LMS) integration.

Open Source

Simkit - Discrete Event Simulation

Simkit is a a package for creating Discrete Event Simulation (DES) models written in Java 2TM.

Open Source

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #338 on: November 15, 2009, 06:37:51 pm »
Not sure if this has been submitted or not.

Hamachi LogMeIn - Free peer-to-peer VPN client. Totally free for gaming and other non-commercial use.

Basically simulates a virtual LAN over the internet between participants. Very handy for bypassing router/port forwarding issues; the downside is everyone in your gaming group must be running it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 06:54:17 pm by 762_XC »
Fleet Vice Admiral 762
Director of Strategy and Tactics -Xenocorp
Quality Assurance Lead - SFC Community Edition (Beta)
--------------------------------

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #339 on: November 18, 2009, 04:26:47 pm »
Came across this site today. I haven't tried it yet but it looks perfect for those fresh install situations.

Ninite Easy PC Setup and Multiple App Installer

Ninite installs apps with default settings and
says "no" to browser toolbars and other junk.

Ninite checks your PC's language and 64-bit support
to install the latest, best version of each app.

Ninite runs on Windows XP/Vista/7 and works
in the background 100% hands-free.

All Ninite does is install the apps you choose.
Not even Ninite is installed.