Topic: recent developments in technology neutralize radioactive waste  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/10/7/13/1

Professor Rolfs added “We are currently investigating radium-226, a hazardous component of spent nuclear fuel with a half-life of 1600 years. I calculate that using this technique could reduce the half-life to 100 years.

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?newsID=6181

http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/7/8/8

Lasers tackle radioactive waste
13 August 2003

One of the biggest challenges facing the nuclear industry today is the storage and disposal of waste that will remain radioactive for millions of years. One approach to this problem involves bombarding the waste with neutrons to speed up the decay of long-lived isotopes into nuclei with much shorter half-lives. However, physicists in the UK and Germany have now demonstrated a new laser-driven approach to “transmutation” by converting iodine-129, which has a half-life of 15.7 million years, into iodine-128. The half-life of this lighter isotope is just 25 minutes (K Ledingham et al. 2003 J. Phys. D36 L79).

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: recent developments in technology neutralize radioactive waste
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 09:00:04 am »
Just read the first link, that's pretty amazing stuff. I like Rolfs ecxample of "simple " terms. If it wern't for us trekkies, we wouldn't be able t okeep up with that article. :)

stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 09:18:38 am »
i think the first time i saw this predicted was on the old BSG series. when they offered to tech earth how to do that in exchange for aid against the Cylons in one of the movies.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 10:16:03 am »
I remember that now that you mentioned it. I think it was when they had all the kids on the planet. what was it, Galactaca 1980 or something like that?

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 10:51:41 am »

yaaK!

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 11:02:07 am »
well, to me It was still better then that Stupid robot dog on the original show. :D

Stephen

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 11:16:25 am »
well, to me It was still better then that Stupid robot dog on the original show. :D

Stephen

True. no Doctor Who's K-9 was a cool robot dog. muffet was a ghey dog.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 05:38:30 pm »
Stormbringer is back bringing scientific and engineering storms!  Yay!

The technique sounds very good scientifically; but in terms of engineering- uh, how much is this going to cost??

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 07:03:53 am »
Good maybe now the US can go back to Nuclear power plants.  Those natural gas plants that is all the rage right now is such a waste of a limited resource.  I remember way back when I worked for a power company, people were complaining about natural gas plants back then.  We understood the need to keep the air clean but from the way it was explained to me, it takes far more natural gas by volume then it does other type of fuel to create the same amount of energy.