Topic: Hard drive problem *heelllllpppp*  (Read 4977 times)

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
Hard drive problem *heelllllpppp*
« on: December 28, 2004, 01:40:05 pm »
 :banghead:

another of my hd is having problem, this one containing my sfc games and other games, i try tomake place on my hd by removing tmp ship in the eaw and tos ship in the op so i will not have them twice but after i remove 1 ship i start  having problem and now  the files is missing  and so is sfc, its anoying when it the hd with the games that having a problem, so can anyone help me???????????

i can't play sfc and i can't install it on another hd since there all full. :help: :help: :banghead:

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: Hard drive problem *heelllllpppp*
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 04:26:09 pm »
I'm not sure I understand what is going based on what you describe.  But if the hard drive is losing files that were just sitting there than I would run scan disk and see if there are any issues that your operating system can find.  I'm guessing that you already tried uninstalling and reinstalling SFC.  BTW were there any error messages when you uninstalled SFC via Add and Remove Programs?  Who made the hard drive WD, Maxtor, Seagate, etc?  How old is the hard drive anyway?  You may want to back up any data that you don't want to end up corrupted.  Lets see what Scan disk says and we can go from there.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 04:36:20 pm »
sfc is not available, i try to  change the link of the icon but the game can't be find, all the stuff in program files is missing, it append when i remove a mod in eaw since i use eaw for the tos and op for the tmp, i open eaw and op so i can see what mod i have and remove the tmp in eaw, after i delete a mod in eaw the file program files was no longer there, so everything in it including eaw and op are missing, both games take around 30 gig of space on the hd, the space is sitll use since i only have around 7 gig of free space on it, m runing a verification of the hd so it will show me if there a problem, m not sure if i have a backup of all my mod, beside the newest that are still in the download file on another hd. :(

Offline Iceman

• 1st Lieutenant
  • Lt.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 07:23:02 pm »
Jav, you're the tech guy here but it seems like he accidentally deleted the "Program Files" folder.  Is it possible to do that and stuff run the PC?

Are any programs working for you?
I believe this belongs to you. -Commander Sheehan to Imperial Captain Smithy
"Wedge, it's amazing how deceptive you can be without actually lying." -Tycho Celchu

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 09:08:52 pm »
Jav, you're the tech guy here but it seems like he accidentally deleted the "Program Files" folder.  Is it possible to do that and stuff run the PC?

Are any programs working for you?

It may be possible but Internet Explorer is in there too, it seems like that would make the system hang.  I still recommend backing up all of your files and reformat/reinstall your hard drive.  I know that reformatting/reloading stinks I just went through it myself (*gives a hard look over my shoulder towards my kids*).  But I think you are just asking for problems down the line by just trying to reinstall the programs that you lost.  I can only imagine the problems this might cause in the registry.  Sorry I can't be of more help but I can't suggest something that I don't feel comfortable with and have it blow up in your face down the road. Hmmmmph I just seem to be batting .00 today.   :-\

Offline Capt. Mike

• Live from Granpa's Grotto
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2004, 11:15:27 pm »
Yo man..you're doing alright by me.....how'd you like to work the  AF Portal...every ^(&* USAF person with email going through one site for info on regs, updates, locator, pay, assignments...etc...

I'm just glad I calibrate test equipment as a contractor..we have to interface at work with P3's @ 700 MHz with 256 meg of ram...slower than my grandmother (she'll be 101 on 3 Jan)....

As to Don...reformat..it sucks..just gather the originals around you..get the registration keys..and hunker down..I've done it enough (reference children input)..what else can I say

Mike

Summum ius summa iniuria.

The more law, the less justice.

Cicero, De Officiis, I, 33

"It doesn't, and you can't, I won't, and it don't
it hasn't, it isn't, it even ain't, and it shouldn't
it couldn't"
FZ, 1974

My chops were not as fast...[but] I just leaned more on what was in my mind than what was in my chops.  I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will probably whip the guy with twenty notes.
 --Les Paul

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2005, 09:55:08 am »
i was able to retaure the program files with something like scan disk, eaw still missing is mod files but at lest op is fully back and i was able to backup the mod files on it, eaw was the tos ship so i know i got a few of them, i will check my spec files and see what ship m missing, what's weird is i was working on both eaw and op mod files so eaw will only have the tos ship and op the tmp ship, so i copare it and remove the tmp shhp from the eaw mod file and it just cause the holl program files to disapear for the hd, the hd with sfc and op and other games is not the one with windows.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2005, 10:36:10 am »
Though it can't help retroactively I have used a program called DriveImage.  With this program you can make a backup image of a harddisk - even the windows drive - and restore from a known good copy.  Obviously you need excess space to do so.  It saved my butt one time when I had an IE update (which cured me of using IE) that was incompatible with my system and blocked me from accessing the internet in any way.  I was able to restore to the known good version (5 minute restore).   One of my coworkers just had a major spyware infestation and was able to restore to his last known good setup in lest than 10 minutes.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2005, 01:59:15 pm »
there something that restaure the system that might be good but there stuff i dont want to lose if i restaure the system before i got the problem of my hd, i will check what i can copy but i was wondering if it will put back everything on all hd the way it was before or just  windows or only the hd where windows is install on?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2005, 02:25:43 pm »
there something that restaure the system that might be good but there stuff i dont want to lose if i restaure the system before i got the problem of my hd, i will check what i can copy but i was wondering if it will put back everything on all hd the way it was before or just  windows or only the hd where windows is install on?

The DriveImage program only restores what  you backed up, but there can be useful "side effects".  For example when I used it I had only Imaged my Windows partion ( Link to post on how I partition my hard disk Link to parititioning post) only the Windows partition was affected.  The files on all the other partitions were not affected.  When Windows was restored it was restored exactly as it was when the image was made.  The programs on the other partitions were still referred to and still operated, the saved files on the other partitions were still there.  Even though they were not part of the image.

The thing to remember is that it restores Windows to the last configuration.  So if you installed several new programs since you made the image then the links to the new programs would not be restored to activity and would need to be reinstalled.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2005, 08:16:23 pm »
i was able to retaure the program files with something like scan disk

Huh, Hmmmm ok.  It sounds like not all the Program File Folders were nuked after all, or you managed to use WinXP (or third party software) system restore points.  I'm glad that things are starting to work again but I worried that it is just the calm before the storm.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2005, 03:50:05 pm »
yes, this hd is defective, now m just checking if i have the mod that are missing with the back up i have, if any mod are missing well it will be hard to know who's ship is missing (who made it) since some of the name will not tell me who made them, but i think i have all of them somewhere on cd's, next time i have a money i will get a 200 gig hd that will go into the com, i will keepthe defective 80 gig hd for games (beside sfc) that don't required a back up since it will only be save games.