Topic: Scavengers  (Read 6724 times)

Offline Lara

• Lt. Junior Grade
Scavengers
« on: December 29, 2004, 11:52:43 am »
This is soon to be done... I hope...those pesky battle scenes... let me know what you think.

One ? In which we meet

Lara sat, very much at her ease, across from Captain Allen, and wondered idly just how long it would take her to get to the point. Linda Allen had not changed much from her class in the Academy. She was still of average build, still snub-nosed, still wore her hair in the same efficient cut. Though she and her twin brother Robert had command of separate ships, despite the distance, Lara bet the siblings still functioned as one being. It was nearly impossible to think of Linda Allen as a Starship Captain, harder still to think of Linda as separate from her twin. During classes the one thing both had protested, silently but actively, was separation for any length of time. If the Allens could handle captaining two separate starships, more power to them.

Captain Allen had done nothing to make the office space definitively hers. There were no wall hangings or trophies of any kind on the walls. No touches of color brightened the relentless gray-beige walls, gray-black floor, and gray-black seating, all was strictly original issue. Lara wondered if Linda didn?t care, or preferred standard issue.

?I asked you here for a reason,? Captain Linda Allen said, refusing to meet Lara?s eyes. She stared at the only ornament in the room; a small, fossilized kebitt that occupied a corner of her desk. The kebbit curved out of the pale yellow green stone in which it lay its distinctive skeleton seemed too delicate to be solid stone. The bones of the spine formed an arch, like a crescent moon, and the strong, nearly disproportionate hind leg bones were tucked up under the body. The dainty forelegs were held in close to the body, the beast looked like it had died in its sleep.

?Under duress, I do not doubt,? Lara responded.  ?As I recall, you and Robert disliked the classes Nick asked me to guest teach. You disliked those excessively.?

?Your exercises lacked any trace of order,? Captain Allen replied levelly. ?They were frivolous and often pointless.? She picked the kebbit fossil up and turned it over and over in her hands.

?But you have found them saving your ship again and again,? Lara said gently. ?Congratulations, by the way. The Swann is a nice posting, and Robert does well to have gotten the Burnett.?

Linda Allen sighed. ?I really do hate you,? she said without heat.

?Stand in line,? Lara answered.

Captain Allen looked up from the kebbit. She stared into Lara?s eyes for several long minutes.  ?Something is wrong. We think, we hope ?  that someone is merely stealing from us.?

Lara tapped her lower lip thoughtfully with her fingertip. The Allen twins were particular favorites of Nick?s, she remembered. He saw them as younger reflections of himself. She viewed his approval as testimony to the Allens? skill at hiding the extent of their telepathic connection; Nick was notoriously squeamish about telepaths. They made him squirm. Lara herself felt no hesitation about accepting the twins; their innate caution was something of which she approved wholeheartedly.

Lara idly noted that under duress Linda Allen lapsed away from using ?I? to using we, the ?we? meaning her twin, of course. Lara could have commented on Linda?s lapse; instead she chose to tick off what little she knew, based on the fact that the summons had come from Linda. ?You?ve discussed it between you. You can?t pinpoint where or who, or even what. It?s closer to you than to him, and he agrees it has to be stopped, only neither of you can name it clearly enough to do anything about it.?

Captain Allen looked relieved. She set the fossil down gently. ?We can?t find it? but we know it?s out there.?

?Not on your ship then, nor on Robert?s.?

Steeling herself, she reached for the fossil on Captain Allen?s desk. Its weight belied its delicate appearance. The delicate whorls of bone pressed heavily in her hand. The kebbit was a sort of land-bound frog, very ancient on its long dead world, its fossils favored by many of the psychic talents for their calming effect. After a moment, she felt uneasy and sensed a distant, questioning presence. She laid the kebbit back on the desk gently, and met Captain Allen?s curious and somewhat wary look with a pleasant smile.

Lara continued to think out loud, ?Something you both pass often enough to make you uneasy?? she stopped, ?No. Something you pass, or I?d be sitting with Bob, not you.?

Linda Allen sat back. ?You did not ask how I knew.?

Lara flashed a smile.

?I don?t have to ask. If I don?t ask, you don?t have to invent an answer.? Captain Allen looked away. Lara ignored her discomfort; ?You said stealing? no distress calls??

Linda shook her head. ?Nothing.? Her eyes flashed, ?This is my space. I?m supposed to keep it safe? and I know something is? eating away--? her voice trailed off. She squared her shoulders.

?I can feel it. It?s? it?s taking something that?s mine, but somehow its something I don?t know I have.? She lifted her head and met Lara?s eyes embarrassment and defiance in her pale gaze.

?That would make me very uneasy,? Lara said simply, her tone gentle.  ?I can be based here for a month or three? barring accident, summons, or crisis.?

Captain Allen pushed back from the table but did not rise. ?I?ve made space for you with room enough for anything you could need.?

Lara nodded. Knowing and working with psychics often had advantages.

She turned her attention to the immediate matter of a plan. ?Nick is off with Nanci somewhere, so I won?t have him for backup.? Lara spread her fingers out on the tabletop and surveyed each painted nail with great attention. Odd now how so many of her plans included Nick. Once, it had not been so.

?It might make me feel better if I thought you had anything written on your nails,? Captain Allen remarked dryly. ?A secret transmitter, or a micro screen, something tangible.?

?You can have many things in this world. Comfort does not often walk hand in hand with truth.? Lara answered. She considered her nails a moment longer, letting her mind do what it did best, make connections. No plan not yet, but without Nick, other names gathered in her mind, helpful names. ?See if you can transfer in Eustace Marshall 227901-E2010; Glynnis Johns X9917-12709, Toy Mikus-nef AA141773D2; and Beta-Beta Del44 16111609-TT88601.

Captain Allen keyed in the ID codes as quickly as Lara spoke them.  ?That would be Lieutenant Eustace Marshall; Lieutenant Glynnis Johns; Petty officer Toy Mikus-nef; and Lieutenant Beta-Beta Del,? she confirmed, reading back the names.

?That?s the lot,? Lara agreed.

?I?ve requested all of them, and should have confirmations soon enough.? Captain Allen scanned the list again. ?You?ll need a ship with that many people,? she commented.

?I can borrow one if I must, but B?del will doubtless arrive with one.? She got to her feet. ?Don?t bother trying to find quarters for B?del, she?ll be thrilled to have someone finally treat her according to regulations, instead of politically.?

Captain Allen stared down at the transfer requests, this time actually reading each name for content. ?Beta-Beta Del44?,? her eyes widened.

?Only surviving heir of her house and spoiled rotten, according to gossip,? Lara said smoothly, ?Whomever has her will be delighted to get rid of her. She?s a political nightmare.? Lara got to her feet. ?The others should be as easy to obtain if they are free? they won?t look like much. No one will know what they are giving up.?

Lara strode through the corridors, her boots silent on the decking.  She was perfectly willing to oblige the Allen twins.  She found their current problem intriguing. She?d wondered how their particular talents would play out as they advanced in their careers. She had not anticipated possessiveness. Clearly the area of space they patrolled fell within their definition of possession. She smiled to herself.

Possessiveness coupled with loyalty and protectiveness were traits of which she highly approved.

She reached the shuttle bay and collected her small pile of belongings. She did not have much; nothing she couldn?t carry for hours at a dead run.

Lara had a saucy grin for the tech on duty. ?Can you patch me through so I can tell my pilot goodbye??

?Yes?m, can do, he answered, suiting action to deed.

?Nice job,? Lara told her departing pilot.  ?Safe trip back.?

?Good hunting,? the pilot replied.

Lara thanked the tech and left the bay.

The quarters Captain Allen had chosen were well laid out for Lara?s purposes. Several small private rooms, connected to a larger gathering area, the kind of mid-range suite usually reserved for delegations and other such groups. This arrangement of rooms lent itself perfectly for use by a small team.

Maybe it was not so surprising after all.

She stored her gear efficiently, not bothering to unpack. Unless B?del?s family had gotten soft, B?del would arrive in her own, heavily armed ship; a ship which each of her billets had been forced to house, regardless of her rank. In any case, Lara had plans for B?del?s baby dreadnought.

Lara sat at the terminal and discovered she had full access to everything the ship possessed, including the Captain?s private conversation logs. Those, Lara keyed up at once, and began the laborious process of matching the logs against the ship?s regularly traveled routes.  In particular, she wanted to match the ship?s location against those days the twins felt the need to cross check for trouble.

Slowly, too slowly for her peace of mind, she built her grid, correlating tiny cues from the conversations and using those to plot her points. If the twins had not changed much from their school days, they would make contact at regular intervals. Those contacts, she suspected, could largely be ignored. She blessed their predictability even as she made a note to tell them to be less regular.

She got up to stretch, while the computer tried to plot points from the parameters she?d established from the conversations. Assuming Tex, B?del, Glynnis and Toy were all available, then the job was a simple matter of letting each one loose to do what they did best. Few people appreciated Tex?s ability to make connections from the flimsiest threads, fewer still expected B?del to have skills as a pilot, or appreciated her stunning ability to accurately predict which way a being would jump and under what provocation.

She took a few minutes to assign quarters to her intended team members, and another minute to warn the shuttle bay to expect B?del?s ship. Then having done the little organization work she could, she went back to Linda?s logs, prising more data points out of the mass of seeming trivia. Hours slid by and Lara had only the barest outlines of the edges of the grid she wanted. The outer door chimed.

?It?s open,? she called, never lifting her eyes from the screen.

?Beta Beta Del44 reporting for duty.? Lt. Del44 saluted from the doorway, then minced into the room with the affected gait required of those of her rank, and peculiar to her own particular house. B?del had the same compact grace that characterized her genetic plan. Her skin was indeterminate beige, her eyes and hair, both unremarkable shades of brown. Her features were entirely average, and she had no distinguishing marks or decorations. The G-plan for her people had been rigorously designed so that no one stood out.

Lara smiled warmly and got to her feet. ?I never expected you to be first,? she extended both her hands in greeting; elder sister to younger.

Eyes bright with pleasure, B?del clasped Lara?s hands without hesitation. ?Captain Oxine nearly danced when the request for me came through. I never expected to find you behind it.?

Lara hugged the younger woman, then glanced past her. B?del?s obligatory attendant stood disapprovingly in the doorway. Lara cast it a dismissive glance. ?Your things aren?t stowed yet? ? she asked B?del mildly. B?del?s family requirements were not B?del?s fault, and anyone who bothered to get close to the poor girl knew it. The servant flinched and hastened to stow B?del?s belongings in the chamber labeled for her use.

B?del laughed in delight. ?You do that just as does my Great Aunt A?del. She has the entire family terrorized.?

?I?ve met your Aunt A?del. Good woman, that.? Lara commented. ?You came in your own ship??

B?del made a face, ?As if I had any chance of not.?

Lara nodded briskly, ?Good. I was counting on it. We?ll need it.?

B?del took a chair. ?I don?t know if Ometz will hate that, or love it,? she remarked, unable to keep the laugh from her voice.

?By now, Ometz has called for instruction, and has been thoroughly informed as to who I am, and what my rights regarding your exalted person might be. It isn?t her day.? Lara smiled pleasantly.

?His,? B?del corrected. ?Ometz is a him. I think.? She watched Lara eagerly, waiting for an explanation.

?You might actually be able to stay stationed here,? Lara told her. ?Captain Allen is possibly more flexible than you?ve been used to elsewhere.?

Before B?del could ask any more, the outer door chimed, then opened.

Ometz appeared in the doorway of B?del?s room with amazing speed, being in position before the last sound of the chime had died away and well before the door slid all the way open. Lara noted his speed with approval.

Toy Mikus-nef, massive, dark, with a mostly shaven skull, and hands larger than Lara?s head, stood in the open doorway. His uniform fit him perfectly and easily, seeming almost as if it were his natural skin, rather than his clothing. 

Toy stared at Ometz for several long minutes, his smooth, dark features impassive.

?You?ve changed your hair,? Lara said by way of greeting. ?I like it shaved.?

Toy shambled across the room. He turned his attention from Ometz, and glared instead at Lara. ?I should have expected you. Who else would want me?? He did not salute.

Lara kissed his cheek. ?Good to see you too. Meet B?del. B?del, meet Toy.?

Ometz gasped in outrage.

?Delighted to meet you,? B?del replied, accepting the hideously informal introduction with genuine pleasure.

?B?del,? Toy acknowledged. He crossed to the computer and considered the map building itself so slowly. ?What are we hunting??

?I don?t know yet, ?Lara answered. ?I barely have the grid laid.?

Toy grunted and took her chair. He pulled up the files she had been using and swore before losing himself in the data.

?I?m in love,? B?del announced.

Lara rolled her eyes. ?Again??

Tex and Glynnis arrived together, making a perfect entrance, all regulation and by the book. Tex seemed his usual self, too tall and lanky for his uniform, wrists hanging out beyond the cuffs.  No matter how well they fit when first donned, in a matter of hours, the sleeves somehow shortened themselves, as did the pants. Lara had never understood how he managed that.

By contrast, Glynnis looked like she had been spat out by a replicator. Her uniform fit perfectly, her hair was unremarkable, her youthful face looked simple and eager to please. Lara frowned slightly. To her eye, Glynnis seemed paler than usual; her freckles stood out in bright relief like a star map across her face.

Lara returned salutes and waved the newcomers to seats. ?By now you have guessed that things are going to be odd.? Toy made a rude noise, his eyes never leaving the screen. No one else spoke. ?Captain Allen and Captain Allen are asking us to poke under rocks and make the slimy things crawl out into the open,? Lara spoke calmly.  ?Then, of course, we are to remove the slime.?

?Excuse me Lieutenant, you said Captain Allen twice,? Glynnis pointed out deferentially.

?Yes, Captain Linda Allen, USS Swann, and Captain Robert Allen, USS Bennett. They are twins.?

B?del?s smile filled the room, ?You?ve gathered us to do the looking.?

Lara nodded, ?Precisely. You, B?del have a lovely little cutter, pretty as sin and with legs and teeth enough to please even Toy?s mechanical heart. And given your family, there is little you do not know about the ways and means of slime.?

B?del?s smile grew radiant, making her look like an ecstatic child on Gift Day.  ?Yes,? she breathed, her eyes bright as stars, ?I am rather??

Toy muttered something, his fingers dancing over the keys.

Glynnis shot him a reproving glance but Lara only laughed.  She considered her handpicked group and explained gently,  ?B?del here is a Del44, the highest Caste Delta 44 has to offer. Anyone who has read the Clone Manifesto, or the Defectives Alignment Treatise, knows that the caste has several? art forms most civilized species refuse to discuss.?  She smiled at B?del with feral fondness. ?They are still taught those arts.?

?Purely theoretically,? B?del murmured demurely.

Toy?s eyes flickered with speculative interest.

?The only race to class toxicology as an art,? Glynnis seemed obscurely pleased.

Tex leaned forward. ?I understand why you ma?am, Miss B?del, an? I know a bit about Miss John?s weapon skills? Seein? Mr. Mikus-nef I can figure him, but Ah don? think Ah can see what you want me fer.?

Lara beamed like a proud parent. ?You are our command center. Probably also our compass.?

Tex nodded slowly, ?So we dun have anythin? solid to work with??

?Not a blessed thing,? Lara agreed cheerfully. ?Given what I know of the Allens, we are looking for something small, very expensive? and given their level of concern? exceedingly nasty.?

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Re: Scavengers
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 12:46:26 pm »
You know I like it.

Of course...I want the rest of it.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Lara

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 12:56:17 pm »
TWO ? In which we greet

Lara wandered into the shared space, and found B?del nestled against Toy?s massive shoulder.  Tex sat across from them, intent on his own screen, though he clearly listened to the other two.

She stopped and watched.

B?del tapped one slender finger on Toy?s screen. ?There simply must be a point just here,? she said, glancing from her hand comp to Toy?s screen.

Toy made no protest, simply added the point B?del marked. ?What about over in Two D?? he asked. ?That looks sparse and Lara hadn?t got that far.?

?Two D,? B?del murmured, her eyes now locked on her own screen. ?Do you have a date on that??

?No.? Toy told her.

Tex stared at his own screen. ?Nothin? there ?cept hunks of rock.? His fingers dawdled across the controls. ?Large, dead ?hunks of rock,? he added.

?Slovenly,? B?del answered. She adjusted herself more comfortably against Toy and stared into her hand. ?Show me sixty-one seventeen point three.?

Toy adjusted his display.

?Cain?t see why anyone?d bother stealin? anythin? from a rock,? Tex protested mildly.

Toy grinned, ?You weren?t hoping for reason, were you??

?Would?a been nice,? Tex answered amiably, without looking away from the screen.

?Slovenly,? B?del said again ?Show me sixty-one seventeen point five.?

Toy complied, adjusting his display as she requested.

Tex did the same.  ?More rock.?

Lara left them to it and went in search of Glynnis, whom she found on board the Trifling Vanity,

?But why would fire ?? Glynnis muttered. ?Slows the whole sequence??

?For your left hand,? Ometz said suddenly. ?Leaving your right hand free for the cannon.?

Glynnis turned and stared, ?Two handed??

Ometz shrugged. ?Speed can be essential.?

Glynnis stopped, and turned further, acknowledging Lara. ?Did you need me??

?Not at all, you?re doing exactly as I hoped you would.? She stepped closer, until she could look down at the weapons array display. ?You?ll have to re-qualify me, Ometz. I see there have been changes.?

Ometz bowed its head submissively.

Lara hid any trace of surprise. She had expected Ometz to check on her after all. She leaned over Glynnis? shoulder and spread her own hands over the display, flattening them against the screen. The screen rose in answer, molding itself against the contours of her hands.  ?Give the screen a chance to know your hands. It would prefer to answer nerve impulse, but you may not trust it for that fast a response.? She lifted her hands and the screen flattened.

Glynnis stared in fascination. She placed her hands where Lara?s had been. ?It tickles,? she said after a moment.

?Give it several minutes,? Lara advised. ?When it feels warm against your skin, you?re ready to start running simulations.? She glanced at Ometz,  ?Run her through the full series. If she can work with Vanity?s optimal systems, it will make all our lives better.?

Ometz bowed its whole body this time, not just its head.

A moment later, Glynnis? panel display changed color, glowing a pale, clear yellow.

?Fire at will, ?Lara advised. ?The faster and more agile you are, the more targets it will give you.?

Glynnis? first shots went nowhere near the target. Ometz looked superior. Lara relaxed, waiting.

Glynnis fired again, her next volley as bad as her last.

Lara patted Glynnis on the shoulder. ?Remember to breathe.?

Glynnis closed her eyes and steadied her breathing. Her next volley took out every target effortlessly.

Ometz narrowed its eyes and changed the settings.

Glynnis tracked easily, firing steadily, her attention engaged and her movements sure.

?We?ll be leaving soon so when you break, stow your gear aboard.? Lara said as she left.

Lara occupied the pilot?s seat of B?del?s Trifling Vanity. Beside her, Toy?s massive hands kept a steady stream of data flowing to every screen aboard. Only she and Toy seemed to be awake, but she rather doubted Ometz needed sleep.

Lara hummed to herself, watching the stars creep past. She, Tex and Toy had planned their course, a deliberate crossing and re-crossing of the space she and Toy had been able to glean from the Allens. No one would remark on a Del44 sloop, no matter where one appeared. And no pirate, not even one in a full star-class cruiser would ever be so foolish as to look at them twice with hostile intent.

Glynnis moved smoothly into the small bridge. ?Using Del immunity to do this, isn?t that ?cheating??

Toy turned his head. ?How long have you known her?? he asked incredulously.

Lara shushed Toy with a glance. ?It could be considered cheating,? She agreed, unperturbed. ?Especially if we actually get caught using this ship to clean up anything we find.?

Glynnis chewed her lip, her hands resting lightly on the back of Lara?s chair.

?Except by the Del themselves, who would be first to tell you that how B?del chose to practice her art forms was entirely up to her.? Lara remarked.

Toy laughed a low rumbling sound that seemed more like the purring of a very large feline. ?Art forms? he repeated and kept laughing.

?I?ve never met a Del before,? Glynnis confessed. ?B?del seems ?very likeable.?

?B?del is a dear,? Lara answered, her voice softening slightly. ?She?s also sole heir to the primary holdings of the Del.  There are no Alpha Dels; haven?t been any for over a hundred years.?

Glynnis released her grip on Lara?s chair and sank into her own seat. Idly she flicked through the weapons systems at her command, running her usual checks as if she had not done so before sleeping. ?Toy, did you give me more directionals??

?You complained,? he answered, his attention back on his own boards. ?Was easy enough to fix.?

The scent of fire orchids drifted into the bridge followed in a moment by B?del herself. ?I thought I was the only one who could not sleep,? she murmured as she slid past Glynnis and dropped into her own seat at Toy?s back.

?It?s my watch,? Lara answered virtuously, ?Mine and Toy?s. We?re supposed to be awake.?

B?del glanced down at her own screen. She frowned. ?Slow.? She murmured and her fingers flashed over the keys. ?Slow, oh slow,? she said again, her voice sliding into an almost hypnotic singsong croon.

Lara obliged, taking the Trifling Vanity to sub-light.

Toy moved too, shifting the external views so the entire front wall showed the stars in front of them. ?Debris,? he said a moment later. He frowned, reading the data scroll. ?Too small,? he said irritably.?

Lara stopped them dead.

?Of course it is small,? B?del said absently. The glow from her screen lit the delicacy of her narrow features. She looked almost vulpine in the blue-green light. ?The big bits were already taken.?

?I?m an idiot,? Lara declared. ?Toy, get us some of that debris. I don?t care if you have to eat it, I want to know what it was when it was bigger.?

?Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy,? B?del sang in her little-girl voice.

?What?re we all stoppin? for?? Tex asked from the hall.  ?I was havin? me a nice dream.?

?Fewmets,? Toy answered and began to laugh.

Tex came all the way forward until he could look into each screen.  Then he scanned the stars spread in front of him. ?So where?s the lighthouse?? he asked.

?For them to know, ?Lara answered grimly, ?and for us to find out.?

?Am I the only one who doesn?t read minds?? Glynnis asked plaintively.

?Probably,? Lara told her as she rose. ?All yours, Tex. My turn to sleep.?

?I suppose you think a few scraps of metal means your precious Captains were justified,? Toy called after her.

?Of course I do. And you?re off, same as I am.?  As she left, she could hear Tex?s soothing accent wash over Glynnis. She smiled. Things were not going too badly; not at all.

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 12:21:01 pm »
Hi Lara,

I like this story. It's told in an unusual way from an unusual perspective. We're getting a whole bunch of unusual characters to ponder, that's for sure.

It's well written and interesting, and you have me intrigued as to how it's all going to end.

All in all, though, I'd say that this story is unusual. *grin*
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Lara

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 10:12:15 pm »
Three --In which we are sweet

Lara lay on her bunk and closed her eyes.  B?del had said taken, which probably meant theft, a minor Dellian art form. But Tex had asked for a lighthouse, and that could only mean deceit, which, in all forms, most certainly lay firmly among the Dellian arts.

She missed having Nick at her side; missed having his quick response, and nearly instant understanding. While she liked the team she had assembled, she had not realized that she would find them taxing. She smiled wryly at herself and let herself slip into dreaming.

Nick turned to smile at Nanci as he pushed his light brown hair out of his eyes. Nanci flashed him a mirthless grin, her arms bloody to the elbows. Both looked battered but essentially healthy.
?Remind me not to let you drive,? Nick said.
?Then be awake next time, Nicholas. If I have to drag you, you do not drive.?
?Why are all the women I know so picky?? He said nothing more. His eyes shut as he lost consciousness.
Nanci moved, revealing the crude bandages wrapped around Nick?s chest. She straightened up, her green eyes dull with exhaustion. She glanced at Nick with concern, but no real alarm.

Lara?s eyes snapped open. She swung her feet to the floor, and sat up, frowning. She checked the time, noting she?d not slept her full allotment, but touched the comm. key anyway. ?Toy? Anything??

?It?s fairly recent, pretty small, and manufactured, not natural rock.? Toy sounded close and clear despite the small speaker.  ?Get me bigger pieces and I can tell you more.?

?I?m sure Tex is on it,? Lara answered and released the key. She stood and stared at the wall for a long moment, her mind on her fading dream. ?Nothing I can do from here,? she murmured to herself. ?Nothing Nanci isn?t doing already.?

She pressed her hands to her face to clear her mind. ?Shower,? she told herself practically. ?What good travelling in luxury if you don?t use it?? She stripped and made use of the shower, setting the controls to cycle from hot to cold. She felt clear-headed and alert when she emerged. She dressed swiftly, donning her uniform with practiced ease, then ran her fingers through her hair, setting the cluster of curls to rights.

Tex never noticed as she returned to the bridge. Toy did, he flicked his ear at her, but his eyes never left the screen.

Lara took the first open chair and touched the screen to life. ?How can you do that?? She asked Toy, ?You have human ears.?

She could nearly feel him smirk as he answered, ?Talent.?

?Ah think we have the perimeter mapped,? Tex said.

?I have it,? Lara said, watching Tex?s map take shape. Stars showed as bright blue-white points, while larger asteroids and rock chunks glowed a dull red. ?Nasty chunk of space to get through,? she remarked. The asteroids lay scattered like huge mouths full of sharp, hungry teeth.

?True,? B?del commented, her face blocked from Lara's sight. "But notice, if you will, that if one is willing to take this route, one can slide through the Triangle and into Federation space without crossing the Romulan border at all.?

?Only a fool would take such a route,? Glynnis retorted. ?A fool, or a pirate.?

?Which answers so many questions.? B?del almost purred, ?Like why no distress calls.?

?Ah don?t see why a pirate would worry about th? Neutral Zone.?

?Depends on who pays them, or at least so I imagine.? B?del remarked. ?If Romulans are their paymasters, I can see no reason to avoid Romulan space.?

?Diagonals, B?del.? Lara instructed, her eyes fixed on the screen. ?Do the Tholian dance.?

?A boring dance, but effective,? B?del answered, guiding the ship as directed.

Toy rose to his feet and stretched, joints making audible noises. ?Call me if we find anyone,? he said as he headed back to sleep.

Ometz appeared and settled into the seat next to Glynnis. Lara reset her screen so she could monitor Glynnis? scores, and B?del?s progress, while she read over Toy?s findings. She hummed under her breath as she ran the fragments against the ship hull materials used by those who built such things. Not that she faulted Toy, but she and he worked differently.  She longed for Nick with acuteness so sudden, it startled her. Nick would have wanted the shards in his hands, would have smelled and tasted them, and then run them through an analyzer he built and named the ship by class and manufacturer. Lara had herself, disassembled no end of such analyzers, and found them to be no more than winking lights and a data output.

?B?del, we have ears out??

?Of course we do. We?ve had ears all along. Nothing to hear, though, more?s the pity.?

The analyzing program winked, and Lara keyed up the results. Nothing matched Federation manufacturing, as she had expected. The probable matches indicated Nausican shipbuilding, or Greenbelt or possibly even Orion.  ?Pirates, all of them,? she murmured as she flashed the results to the other screens.

?I doubt the spider cares what kind of fly wanders into the web.? B?del remarked.  ?Greenbelt will sell to anyone with money.?

?Spider will care if it?s us,? Lara answered. She plugged herself in to listen to the scans, checking the settings.

?Spider will be sorry,? B?del purred.

Lara said carefully, ?It is not lawful for me to ask you to use your ship to engage in a hostile action.?

?Very true,? B?del agreed cheerfully. ?It is also not lawful for you to interfere with my cultural self-expression.?

?Heaven forfend I should interfere with your cultural self-expression,? Lara answered piously.

?If I didn?t know better, I?d think you just gave her a license to steal,? Glynnis muttered.

?And maim, pillage, loot, bash and mutilate,? Lara added.

?Cultural self-expression.? B?del agreed.

?I hope you had a plan, I?ve got a beep,? Tex interrupted.

?We?re cloaked.? B?del murmured.

?I have it, Tex.? Lara listened to the signals. Her fingers danced over the console for a few moments more and the translation kicked in. She put the signal on audio.

?Beacon.? B?del sounded sure. ?Orion.?

?Move us closer, but don?t trip any alarms.? Lara directed.

?On it,? B?del replied.

?That beacon wasn?t there a minute ago,? Tex complained. ?None of them were.?

?Proves we understand,? Lara retorted, her eyes on the screens. Beacons glowed, marking a path through the treacherous field.

?Access codes, ? B?del remarked.  ?I wonder how much they charged for them.?

An Orion Raider leaped into view on the center screen. She looked much the worse for wear.

?She?s at sub-light,? Tex reported, ?and lucky to be moving at all, if the damage I see is accurate.?

?Keep her in sight, ? Lara ordered. She frowned at her screen, as the beacons winked into existence.  She fiddled with the view until she could superimpose the web over the beacons.?

The Orion killer-ship limped from beacon to beacon, and they died as it passed. B?del kept them at a discreet distance, frowning.  ?Not the route I would willingly take. We mapped this earlier.?

?Not a route anyone who had choices would take,? Lara agreed. She keyed for Toy. ?We?re live.?

Toy appeared on deck seconds before phasers cut the killer ship into tidy pieces. He dropped into the seat beside Lara, rerouting navigational control before he was even in the chair.

?You wanted a lighthouse?? Lara murmured, her eyes locked on the dying ship.

?Oh, very pretty? and they paid to be killed.? B?del?s eyes shone, ?I wonder.?

?Some ships have to make it out of this alive or they?d never get another customer,? Lara mused.

?There must be a way to buy the beacon service,? B?del murmured, her eyes on the screens.  ?And they must be considered reliable enough to be hired to do this.?

Several small ships arrived and with tractors began to round up chunks of ship.  The little ships worked with swift efficiency, each towing away a much larger chunk of ship than looked possible.

Toy fussed over his controls.

?They cannot see us, ?Glynnis assured him. ?Not though the cloak.?

Toy merely snarled.

Tex muttered to himself, watching the screens and frowning with concentration, B?del moving them in a slow, painfully slow drift following the tugs. Other wreckage moved in the same way pulled by the passing tugs.

?Lots of life,? B?del remarked, her eyes intent on her display. ?They killed the ship, not the people.?

Glynnis stared at B?del a moment, shocked, then glanced at Lara.

?Gods and little fishes,? Toy murmured, ?Destination. All screens.?

The display leaped. The view shifted to a large mass of rock and debris, roughly the size of a heavy cruiser. The first tug vanished into the jumble of as if it had never existed. The second followed, dragging its load.

B?del read the scan data as it came up. ?Readings indicate they have two hundred personnel. I see what looks like two sets of living space, one much larger than the other? seems to be barracks style. They?ve got metal processing capacity, a good-sized reactor, and what looks like a refinery. Landing bay, of course. It?s really quite efficiently laid out. I?m impressed.? She glanced up for a moment and smiled at Lara, ?No bathtubs that I can see.?

?Barbarians, ?Lara murmured in answer, also smiling.

Tex whistled, his eyes never leaving his own display. ?They?ve got enough to completely alter whatever they take in. No telling how clean it goes out? or who picks it up.? He made an adjustment to his display. ?No one noticed you peeking, B?del??

?Not likely,? B?del answered. ?Even if they weren?t too busy gloating over this haul.? She tossed her head with disdain and continued to report. ?I?m not seeing much by way or weapons, some shields, though none are up.  They should be scanning routinely, but I don?t see a trace of that either. They?ve got ears out but those are passive really, and not looking for anything like us.?

Lara said simply, ?We?ll have to get inside.?

?I knew she?d say that,? Toy muttered.

?How close can we get cloaked,? Lara asked B?del.

?Theoretically, we can land cloaked. But if someone hit us with a handcart, the game is up.? B?del replied calmly. ?The chances of not being so much as bumped into? slim and none.?

?Better fix those odds, since Tex has to pilot the Vanity out again, unless Ometz can do it.?

B?del cast Lara a startled glance, then bent to her task.

Lara turned her head and met Ometz?s outraged look levelly. When he thought better of speaking, she turned her attention to Toy. ?You, B?del and me. Tex, you and Glynnis go get the Captain once we?re off.? She glanced back at Ometz, ?Pull her kit.? She did not wait for a response, but left the bridge swiftly. Toy turned his controls over to Tex, then left the bridge in her wake.

Lara took up her pack, and opened it, checking the contents with deft precision. settling it on her shoulders with practiced ease. She spared a thought for Nick, worry, love and hope, then turned her mind back to the task at hand.

Toy fell in at her side as they headed back. B?del waited, her own pack slung on a single strap.

Tex lifted a hand in salute, and then they were dissolved.

Offline Lara

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 07:45:36 pm »
Only one more chapter after this, and iit is crawling along.

Four -- In which we mince meat

Lara, B?del and Toy moved swiftly into the shadows, the hangar deck cold under their feet. No one had seen them arrive.  People in a wide range of dress swarmed at the far end of the vast hangar. They seemed of many races, dressed in varying uniforms and moved in desperate haste but with the smoothness that comes from long habit.

B?del murmured under her breath, recording the scene. Toy moved closer to the wall, scanning, eyes intent. He flashed a swift smile as he watched B?del, then went back to his work.

Lara surveyed the hangar deck, turning her head slowly. She moved closer to the activity, staying in the shadows.  She identified the races she could see: Orions, Andorians, Klingons, a Gorn, Greenbelters. None of them looked too healthy and no one looked happy. She searched the faces, then smiled slightly.

She watched the bustle for a moment longer, then whistled, imitating the creak of protesting metal; specifically the sound of an old dragger hatch being opened. One man turned, cursing as he dropped the metal in his arms and it skittered across the floor. Lara moved fractionally, letting him see her glide to a small shadowed niche.

Toy?s voice sounded in her ear. ?Do you know everyone??

Lara laughed in answer, her attention on the approaching Greenbelter who slipped in beside her.  His short brown hair stuck up in wiry tufts all over his head His brown coverall hung loose on his body, wrists and ankles rolled up several times.

?Am I ever glad to see you Angel.? He took both her hands; his were sweaty and cold.

?You?re in trouble again, Wheeze. ?  Lara sniffed him and wrinkled her nose, ?And on deef. ? she shook her head in disgust.

?Angel, darling, get me out of this and I?ll go straight, I swear it!? His pale eyes blazed with sincerity and deef.  ?I?ll do anything you want. Even anything Nick wants. Angel please! I?m begging, Angel. I?m begging.?

?Where can I meet you later?? Lara was noncommittal.

Wheeze squatted, drew on the dirty floor. ?We?re here. We sleep here. Mess is there. Control is here.? He tapped a point near the mess. ?We?ll head there after this ship is dispatched.?

?We?? Lara questioned lightly.

?What?s left of my crew, Angel. We didn?t all survive being taken.?

?Guards??

Wheeze shrugged, ?Where could we go??

?I?ll find you.?

Wheeze nodded and slipped away, rejoining those hard at work. He adjusted he coverall at he walked, his errand apparent. No one seemed to notice.

Lara waited a moment or so more, staring at the rough map. Then she erased it with her shoe, fading back to where she would find B?del and Toy.

Toy glared at her. ?So who this time??

?His name is Wheeze, he thinks Nick is with me. He?s from Greenbelt. He used to be a slaver.?  Lara stooped drew the same map, repeating Wheeze?s directions. ?Oh, and he?s a deef addict.?

B?del blinked. ?A slaver? I thought Greenbelt only raised pirates?? She studied the map, committing it to memory.

Lara laughed, ?Greenbelt has it all, if it can be bought or sold, they?ll do it, but never ever break local law or custom, they are sticklers for tidy at home.?

Toy snorted. ?Should be some ugly withdrawal then.?

Lara shook her head, ?No. He?s full up. They must be keeping him supplied.?

?Just what we need.  Fully supplied tonk-heads.? Toy glanced at the map, then brushed it away.

?I have our disguise,? B?del announced cheerfully gesturing to a large hunk of metal.

They slid through the corridors carrying the metal between them. It was quite light and any one of them could have carried it easily. They saw no guards as they passed. B?del sniffed. ?Slovenly.? She minced more with each passing step, her lisp more pronounced. ?There should be guards, telltales, something!?

Lara smiled, amused. She murmured to Toy, ?If there had been guards, she?d complain too.?

Toy grinned. ?Yeah? marrying her will be fun.?

B?del stopped in her tracks and gaped. The very tips of her ears turned a delicate pink. She did not utter a single sound.

Lara herded them on. Toy and B?del both used their burden as the screen to cover their scanning activities leaving Lara to carry the bulk of their disguise. They passed no one, but given the activity in the hanger, possibly that was the norm. Once they got down towards the living areas, they saw other scavenged bits and pieces.

They abandoned their own chunk of debris on a likely looking pile, then strolled in Lara?s wake. Lara made the next turns easily, nose attuned to the faint scent of deef. She stopped at a door hung with what looked like bench covering from a sickbay couch. She chirped once, pushing the curtain aside when an answering chirp came from inside.

The small room had only two stools, one occupied, one empty. Wheeze sat on the floor, back to a wall. Two men flanked the doorway on the inside, both looked capable and hungry in the sort of ?need to kill? way Lara knew well. The occupied stool held an broad, squat man, his graying hair clipped military short. His flat, dark eyes noted her and Toy and B?del without so much as a flicker.

Wheeze leaped to his feet, ?Angel! Come on in!?

Lara stepped into the room, B?del mincing at her side and Toy a bit behind them. She glanced at the empty stool, and leaned against the wall instead. She smiled kindly at Wheeze, ?We found you.?

?Wheeze took her hands again, tugging to the seated man. ?This is my Captain, Angel, Captain Mords. Captain, this is Angel.?

Behind her, Toy murmured, ?Angel...?? but very softly.

Captain Mords got to his feet, his head no higher than her own.  ?Wheeze seems to think you can get us out.? His voice held no expression. His body, his gaze, all said command. He glared at them, silently demanding an explanation. He did not so much as look at Wheeze.

Lara repressed an inner smile, admiring his poise.  He had to be competent as a captain, Wheeze was no fool and would not follow someone unfit. Mords had not let captivity make him soft, careless or slow. His guards were alert, and clearly focused on duty. Wheeze was still with him, even here, which spoke well for him.

B?del seated herself gracefully on the stool, poised and alert, her attention seemingly only on Lara.  She settled her pad on her knee and waited. Toy took up Lara?s vacated bit of wall.

Lara did not disentangle herself from Wheeze, though she did move him gently to one side, which blocked her being seen from the doorway. ?Yes.? She regarded Mords levelly. ?No guards in this sector, vacuum cleaning for issues??

Captain Mords nodded once.

?On it.? Toy said from his post against the wall. He gave part of his attention to his pad, still alert to the room.

Lara smiled at the Captain, ?So we need to be on the protected side of the door.?

Captain Mords looked past Lara and glared at Toy, then down at B?del, waiting patiently on the stool.  ?Who are you people??

Wheeze made a scandalized noise. ?It?s Angel!?

?Easy Wheeze,? Lara said gently.

Wheeze huffed, his sense of propriety affronted. ?I said I knew you!?

?He needs to ask,? Lara said comfortingly. ?He?s from away.? She managed not to laugh. Greenbelt manners forbade inquiring into anyone who had been presented by someone close to you. It always amused her that pirates and thieves could be so prim.

?So are you.? Wheeze was not mollified. ?You have decent manners.?

Lara looked up at Wheeze, noting his wide-eyed stare and his pallor. ?How long before you?re any use to me??

He beamed like a man who has been promised salvation. ?Two hours, Angel, I swear it. Worst case, two hours. I might be able to do better sooner but??

Lara nodded. ?Go. Do it. I?ll need you.?

Wheeze turned and left, not even glancing to Mords for confirmation.

Lara turned her attention back to Captain Mords. ?We?re Star Fleet,? she said calmly. ?Here specifically to find this and stop it.? She grinned suddenly, a little girl inviting a new friend to play, ?Since you?re here, we?ll rescue you too.?

Captain Mords sank onto his stool, deflating. ?Federation?? He put his head in his hands. ?That dolt Wheeze knows your Federation??

?I don?t actually know, and I rather doubt he cares either way, ?Lara answered, ?Not that he cares. We met in Greenbelt space, which is outside Federation jurisdiction, and he and I have always played by Belter rules.?

Captain Mords brightened slightly, ?That?s right, we are still outside your jurisdiction.?

?Very true, ?Lara agreed equably, ?We are under no obligation to rescue you.?

Captain Mords glared at her.

Lara met the glare, amused and unruffled. ?Though I have to tell you, I am obligated to rescue Wheeze, I just promised.? She watched him closely noting his anger and his control.

Captain Mords glared furiously at Lara, mouth working but silent. Finally he said though gritted teeth, ?Fine. Get us out of here.?

?I can do that,? Lara said simply. ?Anything else while we are at it??

Captain Mords threw up his hands. ?Why not. I want my ship back, my crew, I want to have listened to that blasted toke-head in the first place? I want to pin these nameless sons to a  -- ? he stopped himself, flushing a little under the interest in B?del?s gaze.

Lara looked down at B?del?s pad, watched the detailed schematic grow as the scans progressed. ?I think getting your old ship back is beyond my abilities, as is changing the past usually. The last part though? the pinning nameless part? that we can do.?

?Even with primitive tools,? B?del murmured.

Mords ran his hands through his hair, it made no difference in his appearance. ?What do you need from me??

?We?ll need back up, probably, to hold what we take. We?ll need to know anything you know about how this works, and last but not least, Wheeze. I need Wheeze.?

Mords shot her a measuring look. ?You know about Wheeze??

?Yes, I know about Wheeze. I know enough to use him if I have him to hand. I even have a prayer of being to use him effectively.? Lara considered for a moment, her gaze on B?del?s pad. ?Even toked out on deef.?

Mords nodded, his expression sour. ?I thought I knew that much. But he was the only one who thought this would be bad? and he was toked at the time. So? I didn?t listen.?

Toy said, ?Got the subsystem for the exterior locks. They won?t open unless I key them.?

?They don?t even see us looking, ? B?del sounded offended. ?Shouldn?t take us long to have all the subsystems.?

?Using Wheeze is an acquired skill,? Lara said simply. ?Don?t blame yourself.? She watched the schematics crawl into life on B?del?s screen.   ?Toy, we?ll need weapons for our troops. Slave your pad to B?del. B?del, I want three plausible entry points, and staffing.? She gave her attention back to Mords. ?How many groups are here and do I only have yours??

?I?m top man right now. Reliet, had a fall,? Mords said dryly. ?Everyone on this side of the wall is mine.?

B?del smiled appreciatively, but kept her eyes on her pad. Her fingers flew as she worked.

?We have about a hundred who can fight, and who still have the heart.? He made a face, ?And who might not slaughter each other first.? He looked at the man to the left of the door, nodded at Toy. ?Take him, round up the second squad.?

Mords looked back at Lara, ?I run us in two squads now, one on one off. Gives them order, makes them think we still have chances.?

Lara nodded in approval. ?Go ahead Toy. See what we?ve got.?

The man saluted and turned. Toy followed him without a word.

Lara watched them go, then turned her attention back to Mords. ?Now,? she said quietly, ?You aren?t a Belter, so what brought you to this, Piracy? Slavery? Kidnapping??

Mords stiffened.

Lara appeared not to notice. ?No Belter would have asked who we were after Wheeze introduced me. You did. That means you forfeit Belter rules.? She smiled slightly. ?What can you tell me that will let me work on getting you a ship??

Mords stared at her, stunned into silence. He stared at B?del, whose entire attention was seemingly absorbed by her pad. She did not look up. His lip twisted in a sneer, ?How much will it cost me??

?You misunderstand. It is not a matter of purchase.? Lara shook her head. ?All I need to know now is if I can find you acceptable enough to give you a command. No more no less.?

Mords stopped, puzzled. ?You mean Wheeze? You?re Federation and you?d let Wheeze judge?? he stared, incredulous.?

?I understand Greenbelt, Captain Mords. I like and respect the place and the people.? Lara?s smile turned wry, ?And its laws, such as they are. But that means, if I get you a ship, I need to understand what I unleash on the universe.?

Mords stared at her, arrested.

?I know Wheeze,? Lara said simply. ?He?d not follow just anyone.?

Mords subsided almost as quickly as he?d gotten upset. ?I?m from Dirai originally. It?s a dirtball, mostly farming. I got off as soon as I could doing whatever I could. I saved my credits, got to Greenbelt. Shipped out with whoever had work. Made enough to get my own ship. Now I do light transport,? he told her.?

Lara nodded, listening quietly. In Greenbelt terms that meant carrying small arms, small technologies, luxuries and sundry easily hidden high profit items, low risk for the most part, other than the trivial matter of local laws, and high enough profit.

?This was just an easy run, overflow load into Klingon space. Wheeze hated it. But the money was good, half in advance, and we needed some work, a lot of work. I should have listened to him, but he was tonked out past the rim.? He made a face. ?It fell apart as we headed back. Romulan raider ships. The lead ship shot us the beacon codes just before we lost contact and here we are.?

Lara exchanged a look with B?del.

?Couriers are always nice things to have,? B?del never looked up. ?Two entry points.? She frowned, then beamed, ?No. Three.? She offered Lara the datapad.

Lara scanned the pad, then nodded as she offered it to Mords. ?Nice work, ?B?del.?

Mords stared at the pad for several minutes. ?We are to attack these points??

?We?re to cut through at all three,? Lara answered equably, ?Unless Wheeze picks a clear favorite. ?Then we take command and wait until we are rescued.?

?Just like that?? Mords said skeptically.

Lara smiled, ?Shall we see how Toy is doing??

B?del rose to her feet immediately. Mords found himself escorting the women through his domain. The corridors were deserted, not a single soul anywhere. But ahead, they could hear a rumble of voices.

They found Toy in the center of a knot of agitated people. It looked a bit like a federation Council meeting, same level of noise, but this group was poorly dressed. No less loud though. Some were armed, if you could count the bits of sharpened debris they held as weapons.

B?del sniffed. She held herself primly, datapad ready.

Lara smiled as she surveyed the milling chaos. She saw Wheeze in a corner, and beckoned him to come close.

He obeyed, his eyes overly bright and his skin mottled. He breathed with a rasping whine and his hands shook.

Lara spoke gently, her voiced pitched low. ?Look at B?del, tell her what you like.?
Obediently, Wheeze stared at B?del. He shook, tremors wracking him, then he said, ?First impressions are always best.? He thought a moment. ?And clean underwear.? He looked at Lara anxiously.

Lara smiled. ?Thank you, Wheeze. Go get yourself a nice sharp thing.? She frowned a moment. ?Wheeze, after you picked out a nice sharp thing, go gather up anything B?del or I might like.?

?Sure Angel!? Wheeze shambled off, chest swelling with pride.

Lara raised her voice a fraction. ?Toy? We ready??

Toy pushed through the ring of excited people until he reached her side. ?We got a target?? He simply lifted B?del so he could examine her datapad.

B?del blushed, the tips of her ears, then blushed brighter.

Toy glanced at B?del?s pad, then nodded. ?Good.?

Mords, B?del and Lara fell in at Toy?s heels. Together they moved through the makeshift halls until they reached one of the few real walls in their prison. B?del stared at her datapad, then at the blank expanse of wall and nodded.

?Let Wheeze hit it first, ?Lara cautioned.

Mords stared at her. ?Let Whee--?

But Wheeze was already moving, coming up fast through the bodies clustered close. He had a chunk of hull in his hand.

Lara waved everyone back, her gaze fixed on Wheeze. ?Hit it hard, Wheeze. Give it everything.?

Wheeze swung wildly, so wildly he overbalanced and crashed into the hall at his back. His chunk of hull struck, and left a deep crack that ran from floor to halfway up the wall.

Lara sighed with relief. She spared a smile for Captain Mords, then nodded at Toy, letting him loose to take control.

Toy?s crew broke through the weakened wall and stormed the corridors. The rest of the captives swarmed after them, frantic for freedom and revenge.

Lara and B?del headed swiftly for the control center, carefully avoiding the smaller fights around them.  Inside there was so much chaos, they were untroubled as B?del secured command, slaving all systems to her own delicate hands. The moment she was done, Lara opened fire, dropping those inside like so many sacks of meat.

By the time Toy and Mords caught up to them, B?del was restraining the last two unconscious men.

?Yes,? Lara told Mords, ?Just like that.?

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 08:21:00 pm »
Sorry I can't comment on all of it. I just finished the first section.

So far, the writing is GREAT...

The character development is extravagant- not many short stories manage to shoehorn in that much background for the characters. In that, it actually reads like a chapter from a novel- though a later one. It's like the Allen twins were introduced to us earlier and you (rather unfairly... hint, hint, hint) dropped us in somewhere about chapter 3 or chapter 4 as the next round of characters were getting introduced.

Ditto on the plot lines... you seem to have something more in mind. Were suddenly thrust into this very vibrant plot line and though we are filled in nicely on the here-and-now, we are still very much in the dark on the last couple of chapters. This generates a GREAT suspence level as to what is being looked for, though.

I'll try and finish reading it over the weekend, and I KNOW that I'm going to enjoy it- this is damnably good stuff.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 11:49:20 am »
I like it.  Lots of intrigue floating around.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2005, 01:26:34 pm »
Very nice story. I remember some of it from Taldren. Glad to see you're finishing it. Two small nits: I'd like some more resting points... emm.. more breathers. You got so much happing so fast after another it's kinda hard for me to follow every detail. But then again, not being english / yank might be the hinderance. The other nit is linked to the first: If you do time intervals i'd prefer if you add a hard seperator like here:

....Lara thanked the tech and left the bay.

The quarters Captain Allen had chosen...

and here:

?We?ll be leaving soon so when you break, stow your gear aboard.? Lara said as she left.

Lara occupied the pilot?s seat of B?del?s Trifling Vanity.

But as a whole i think you've got a very fine story going here. Keep up the good work.
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2005, 01:29:09 pm »
Btw Lara nice posting interval you've got going here. I love not having to wait ages for updates. Not like for instance ....mmm... La'ra...

;)

Of course...I want the rest of it.

as do i. From both of you. NOW ;) :D

Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 09:45:39 pm »
I came across this story, having mistakenly read the name as 'La'ra' rather than Lara. Imagine my delight to have read something from a GIFTED author. :-*

I enjoy.
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2005, 10:25:38 pm »
I like it. It's a bit tough to read with the question marks where the quotation marks should be, but it's still good. Keep it up. ;D
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2005, 10:51:12 pm »
I came across this story, having mistakenly read the name as 'La'ra' rather than Lara. Imagine my delight to have read something from a GIFTED author. :-*

I enjoy.

Glad to see you too. ;D
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Lara

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 08:03:11 am »
*blushes*
Thank you for the kind words. I don't know how question marks happened, it isn't in my version of the file... but La'ra said he'll finx my formatting woes

I am working on this...but it has hit a very slow patch.

Offline S'Tasik

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 06:48:32 pm »
Yo.  Remember me?  XD

I really like this story, mostly because of its scale -- where my collaboration with Kieran is our attempt at writing an epic in space, this story integrates a really personal approach to characterization with an incredibly small-scale mystery.  I think that's what initially caught my interest, and it's what has kept me reading from chapter one onwards.

Sorry to hear you've hit a rough spot -- I'm looking forward to reading more!
the eyes are not here
there are no eyes here
in this valley of dying stars
in this hollow valley
this broken jaw of lost kingdoms

t.s. eliot

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2005, 08:27:15 pm »
Bugger. I like very much what I can read, but those question marks are extremely distracting. I'll keep plugging away, though, as it is a good story, and I'm not going to let formatting problems cheat me out of it. ;D
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2005, 09:21:13 pm »
I'm back again Lara, and looking for more! C'mon, finish me off!

Barring that, how about the final chapter of this 'ere story? You know we want it!

Offline Lara

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2005, 02:58:57 pm »
Sorry sorry sorry, but five paragraphs is too little to post. i'm working on it, honest.

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2005, 03:31:21 pm »
Laaaaaaaraaaaaaaaa...

Waaaaaiting, little mammal!  ;D