Topic: Forums Software Upgrade Complete!  (Read 7857 times)

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
Forums Software Upgrade Complete!
« on: January 10, 2005, 09:25:58 am »
We're updated the forums software, so please bear with us as we make any necessay adjustments / tweaks and the like.

Looking for information on the upcoming Slave Girls Dynaverse Campaign?

Get it HERE

- The D.Net Admin Team
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
Re: Forums Software Upgrade Complete!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 04:29:35 am »
The 1.0.2 upgrade took me 5 seconds on my forums.

SMF Shop screws it up for me though. I think i need to fix my DB =\ LOL I have old remnants of SMF shop in there, I think thats why its broken (won't let me install smf shop).
Life is short... running makes it seem longer.

"A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 04:50:23 am »

SMF Shop screws it up for me though. I think i need to fix my DB =\ LOL I have old remnants of SMF shop in there, I think thats why its broken (won't let me install smf shop).

We also updated apache, php and eacclerator to the latest versions. Tweaked the apache wint mpm threads settings for stability, (to help support the usual 30 users online at a time) adjusted eaccelerator to cache to memory only, adjusted a number of php settings for bandwidth, performance and browser compatibility, tidied up the 1.6 GB served by D.net... (working on mod_fcgid...) still need to update mysql and prune the ~275 MB db... (so maybe a little more than 5 seconds...  :P :D)

(note that the 1.0.2 update can miss some files - a pain - next version I'm going with a fresh install...)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 12:11:45 pm by Bonk »

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 07:03:05 am »

We also updated apache, php and eacclerator to the latest versions. Tweaked the apache wint mpm threads settings for stability, (to help support the usual 30 users online at a time) adjusted eaccelerator to cache to memory only, adjusted a number of php settings for bandwidth, performance and browser compatibility, tidied up the 1.6 GB served by D.net... (working on mod_fcgid...) still need to update mysql and prune the ~275 MB db... (so maybe a little more than 5 seconds... :P :D)

(note that the 1.0.2 update can miss some files - a pain - next version I'm going with a fresh install...)

Wow... Yeah all I did was upgrade. I need to manually prune the db.

About the 1.0.2 missing files... That didn't happen to me. I must be lucky. :)

We usually have 8-10 people at a time... and the host my team has the server on (their decision... I wanted a faster host), gets kinda slow sometimes. I hate how its gonna be in the future. (we're growing fast... really fast).

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 07:47:57 am »
This the forum you're talking about: http://forums.sky-flyer.org/rangers   ?

(Still reporting itself as 1.0 RC1...)

With 12 posts I'd say your db is a long way off from needing a prune. D.net's db has 312530 posts (the most I've seen on any SMF forum) and SMF's performance shows it... I'm thinking of pruning to 1 year ago, but will need to archive all the old threads from taldren somehow (and all the other forums - with permissions intact - tricky) so that they can still be viewed if desired, but removed from the db so as not to add the additional load to the forums software.

Anyway, it will be handy to compare notes!

http://ipowerweb.com/ looks like an OK service too. (Custom error pages on their webserver are hiding the host... I'm curious...)

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 07:50:20 am »
This the forum you're talking about: http://forums.sky-flyer.org/rangers ?

(Still reporting itself as 1.0 RC1...)

With 12 posts I'd say your db is a long way off from needing a prune. D.net's db has 312530 posts (the most I've seen on any SMF forum) and SMF's performance shows it... I'm thinking of pruning to 1 year ago, but will need to archive all the old threads from taldren somehow (and all the other forums - with permissions intact - tricky) so that they can still be viewed if desired, but removed from the db so as not to add the additional load to the forums software.

Anyway, it will be handy to compare notes!

http://ipowerweb.com/ looks like an OK service too. (Custom error pages on their webserver are hiding the host... I'm curious...)

no. ipowerweb is my host. That link in the bottom is... well no one has used that forum in months hehe.

http://www.clanlessfraggers.com/forum

BTW do you know anything about ASP?

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 07:54:56 am »
Ah, I see, that one is 1.0.2!

Toasty0 is probably the one to talk to about ASP. I'm looking at setting up D.net to run ASP under ActivePerl (or natively) eventually so we can take advantage of any work done by the community in ASP as well as PHP.  ;D

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 07:58:05 am »
Can you PM me his contact information. I'm building a website for someone (paid), and they want ASP menus. Its for a friend, so if I can't do it, its no biggie, but I would rather him not pay big $$$ for something I can do cheaply.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 07:58:35 am »
About the 1.0.2 missing files... That didn't happen to me. I must be lucky. :)

It does not report any errors, just loses function. I had to manually replace ManageBoards.php after the update as child boards could no longer be created, the function was missing, the file was not updated, the update process reported no error. Watch these SMF guys.. a little new at this compared to the phpbb crew...

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 08:00:36 am »
Can you PM me his contact information. I'm building a website for someone (paid), and they want ASP menus. Its for a friend, so if I can't do it, its no biggie, but I would rather him not pay big $$$ for something I can do cheaply.

Just post the question in Engineering, you'll probably get the most help that way, and we can all read it too!  ;D  (Toasty0's contact info is in his profile.)

These links might help?:
ASP.NET Home: Getting Started with ASP.NET
ActivePerl User Guide: Active Server Pages
Active Server Pages (ASP) Forum
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 08:14:14 am by Bonk »

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2005, 08:13:32 am »
Thanks... I appreciate it.

BTW You must have downloaded a messed up update, because I havent had any problems (heck I added child boards last night).

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2005, 08:14:43 am »

BTW You must have downloaded a messed up update, because I havent had any problems (heck I added child boards last night).

Used the internal update function of the forums. (never again)

It will be a completely fresh install with each version from now on, the update function cannot be trusted. Its a pain because all the mods will have to be reinstalled with each SMF version as well and their functionality reestablished each time on the new SMF version... most irritating. (as well as installing templates, redoing any manual code fixes each time... almost easier to write your own forums software... I got spoiled using phpbb...)

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2005, 09:44:14 am »

Used the internal update function of the forums. (never again)

It will be a completely fresh install with each version from now on, the update function cannot be trusted. Its a pain because all the mods will have to be reinstalled with each SMF version as well and their functionality reestablished each time on the new SMF version... most irritating. (as well as installing templates, redoing any manual code fixes each time... almost easier to write your own forums software... I got spoiled using phpbb...)

I wholeheartedly agree with you with the updating and templates. However, the update feature was supposed to be fixed either 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 (i think 1.0.2). The hassle of adding templates irrates me immensely.