Topic: Call to SFCOP Scripters  (Read 3569 times)

Offline [RK] Castrin

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Order of the Empyrean Shield
Call to SFCOP Scripters
« on: January 11, 2005, 10:06:12 am »
Hi guys / gals,

I'm looking for some missions that will fit a specific "style" of play ... namely PvP. I'm looking through all the current mission scripts for what might work but I have a few requirements:

1. NO AI ... ever, period
2. must only pop if there is another player ship in the hex (NO random popping)
3. no dragging possible, i.e. must forfit to escape
4. forfit penalty very high (i.e. scary high) and independent of the server settings (if possible)
5. all terrains must be taken into consideration (optional if in a set of scripts)

There are a few that might be useful but none fit all four of the above conditions. (for those that already have scripts out feel free to note ones that you feel might fit)

This is a serious project and as such ALL are welcome to submit missions (best tool for the job I say, I don't care who makes it). Chances are we will use only one or two however if a set based on terrain (or other variables) is available we'd look at that too. Server load and fast code will be critical and they must be compatible with at least the OP+ ship mod.

Respond here, PM me here, or email me at cptcastrin[at]pegicorn.com.

8)
"Mr. Knowledge" -- Wildcard

Offline FPF-SCM_TraceyG_XC

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
Re: Call to SFCOP Scripters
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 09:37:33 pm »
I experimented with a script awhile back that was for PvP only. The only teams in the script coded for were human players. This was in attempt to get a script that hopefully would only be offered if another human was present in the same hex. What we found, was, that the script would still appear even where no human was present and despite there being no AI code, an AI ship would still appear. To the best of my knowledge, forfeiting a mission is completely controlled by the client, there are no functions in the scripting API to access this part of the game.

It may still be possible to create a purely PvP script by using different team designations. In a meta campaign mission, typically you have the "Primary" team and the "Primary Opponent" team. Other teams are labelled "Playable" team or "NPC" team (for AI only). If the Primary Opponent designation is not used, it might give the desired results. On GW4, the combination of missions created an interesting phenomenon where the Scout mission was being offered in preference to other missions where a human opponent was present in the hex. Many of the above details are also dependant on the gf file settings.

I'm currently working on a mission pack that has a consistant set of maps for each terrain type, all 27 of them and contains most (but not all) of the elements you are looking for. Perhaps PM me with more info?
Captain FPF-TraceyG, Federation Protection Fleet

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA
Member of XenoCorp, Squadron Commodore

Offline [RK] Castrin

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 04:17:05 pm »
I'll PM you as soon as I can. I am interested in what you have though. I know I can't have just PvP missions. ;D

I had kind of hoped that it'd be possible to have a mission that under no conditions generates AI. I'd be willing to put up a test server with just that and the "assault" mission in the mix to see if there was a way to force it.

What about coding a mission to happen in all terrians but if no player is there to just show empty space? If the player disengages can the loss penalty be lowered because of no opponet?

Just thoughts, I'll try and contact you.

---

Anyone else? ... more the merrier! ;D

8)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 05:59:30 pm »
I already set up a no-AI missions (PvP only) server - nobody came - they hated it. (Even Lepton!)

I would not bother with the work to set up such a server unless you can get at least 30 people to commit to login at once. (already proven as impossible during the last two week round of SQL tests... there will be no more SQL tests - the only way to test it is for us to write a proper test client... anyway... they want AI battles... no matter what they say...)

If you want to try it... in MissionMatching.gf:

[ScreenForMatch]
BonusForNearbyForeignCharacters      =100
EnemyHexBonus                  =0   // bonus for a mission in enemy territory
NeutralHexBonus                  =0      // bonus chance in neutral hexes for a mission
ChanceMove                     =0      // (30) base chance for a mission on move (increase for more missions in home territory)
ChanceLogon                     =0
ChanceTurnBreak                  =10
ChanceMissionComplete            =50
ChanceMissionForfeit            =0
ChanceGoalExpired               =0
ChanceGoalInvalid               =0
ChanceGoalComplete               =0
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 06:23:15 pm by Bonk »

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 09:36:47 pm »
Bonk...I hope you dont give up the open test server....there is some freaky stuff that only humans can generate... :P

I'd still like to really break the server a few times...

*Psst...what you need to do is just slip in the SQL server instead of Dizzy's*....heh

;D

Offline [RK] Castrin

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 03:59:38 pm »
I already set up a no-AI missions (PvP only) server - nobody came - they hated it. (Even Lepton!)

... and that is why you fail ...

D'oh! I channeled Yoda for sec there sorry!!!

:o

Ok, all kidding aside, I didn't say this was for a PvP only anything. Let me explain ...

In my adventures in EVE I've noticed that there are really 2 kinds of players: 1) the kind that are happy enough killing computer generated things and; 2) those that salivate over meeting a real opponent. The same holds true in SFC but more because of the way most campaign are setup ... I'll leave that alone for now ...

Anyway, the problem is there is no mission in the mixes that are available that will work to satisfy the second group but there are a ton that will for the first. The basic "Patrol" mission in most packs does a ok job striping off AI but I'm looking for a mission with a bit more teeth. One (or a set) that can sit along side the standard "kill NPC ships" missions.

Or maybe I'm just looking for really good AI stripping that works 100%. At this point I'm just looking really but the goal is to cater to both if possible while making sure that PvP really means something, i.e. bigger rewards (pp whatever) and bigger risks (can you demote in a mission?) that a PvP match should reflect.

I wish I was a better C+ coder, I'd tackle it myself but I figured what the hey, you guys are the SFC coding gurus so I'd come to you.

8)

el-Karnak

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 04:02:10 pm »

1. NO AI ... ever, period
2. must only pop if there is another player ship in the hex (NO random popping)

Given the current SFCOP script API, I think you are approaching the problem from the wrong angle. The tech. simply is not there to fine-tune the missions robustly enough to only appear for a PvP scenario in any given hex. Instead, just approach the problem from another angle where all the missions used on your server have 2 modes of operations. One  for the PvAI scenario, and one for the PvP scenario. For example, EEK AI stripping already implements that approach where AI is taken away in any PvP patrol mission scenario, but there's AI for the PvAI patrol mission scenario. Same goes for randomized map terrain. All the EEK missions use a standardized Arch. template.

Then what you are looking to do is make the PvP scenario tougher.  So, what  is the definition of a tougher PvP scenario then?  Put nasty AI back in? Put nasty terrain in?  Once you have standard template figured out then you implement it in every mission in the mission pack.

That's probably the best way to approach this problem with any reasonable chance of success in a production dyna environment.

3. no dragging possible, i.e. must forfit to escape
Isn't that a mandotory mission setting in the dyna kit? As long as all the mission are open to mandatory mission settings then you are covered.

4. forfit penalty very high (i.e. scary high) and independent of the server settings (if possible)
You can penalize/bonus PP for taco-belling in a PvP scenario depending on whether you are the taco-beller or chaser. EEK already does this in the EEK patrols. Usually, the bonus PP awards for making someone taco bell is in the 1000 to 1500 pp range.

5. all terrains must be taken into consideration (optional if in a set of scripts)
That can be set in the scripts easily enough. As long as the dyna server settings are done properly the missions should appear where you want them based on terrain type.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 04:12:18 pm by el-Karnak »