Topic: Brand new Nietzchian CL from episode 'Exit Strategies'  (Read 5468 times)

Offline Red_Green

• Lt.
  • Whatever
Brand new Nietzchian CL from episode 'Exit Strategies'
« on: January 16, 2005, 04:45:21 am »
Whats really interesting is the top view of this ship is shown on a display panel as the crew is detremining which race is chasing them.
This view displays a top view that appears to have been a render of the mesh with no textures. Whats interesting is it doesn't exactly match the actual ship. Its like an early proto type of it.  I have only watched half the episodes. It is shaping up to be one of the best ones yet. The Andromeda writers knew that the show was gaurenteed at least 2 seasons. They took advantage of this by building up the characters and future episodes have tie ins to past episodes, making it best to watch the shows oin order to best understand the groundwork and character relationships.

Ok the early mesh, based on the design from Gene Rodenberry's Andromeda episode 'Exit Strategies' When I say based on, I mean it is the actually design, only not quite. Because of limited angles of the ship and frankly limited poligons and meshing skill, its a representation as best I can get of the design. The actual design is way coller than this, though I have much more trim to add obviously so my mesh will get more detailed. The ship has a bit of a curve to it with the 'wings sloping down slightly.

Honestly before all the details get added, the basic shape kinda has a TOS Rommie feel to it. Like a V8 on steroids or something. :D

The most creative person hides his sources the best!

"The universe hates you. Deal with it!"

Spoken by Harper in a 1st season episode of Andromeda.

"Pesimism is not a survival trait"

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
Re: Brand new Nietzchian CL from episode 'Exit Strategies'
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 06:39:59 am »
looks more like some kind of cardassian post dominion attack ship.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 06:31:52 pm »
 8)  Can't wait to see more!

Offline Red_Green

• Lt.
  • Whatever
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 06:41:01 am »
looks more like some kind of cardassian post dominion attack ship.

Now that you mention it, it does look Cardassian. I have just a slight update. Lately in my WIP I show the mesh done and then the textures done. Thought I might show the entire process for a change a pace. Here the front end has been angled out more, this is where the display view contradicts the actual ship in the episode. You will see why the front end is like this when I start adding in the weapons. :D  This went fast as its real basic so far. The longest part is I don't have a DVD player in the same room as my computer, so I always am running back and forth to get another look at the ship in the show.

I love the ship designs in Andromeda. In general the ships are made out of simple shapes. With layers of simple shapes added on. I always have preferred this type of design. It also would seam logical and practical from a mass production standpoint.

Offline Red_Green

• Lt.
  • Whatever
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 07:21:35 am »
Got the back end closer to how it is suppose to look. Did some experimenting with possible base textures for later. This ship doesn't have a chrome look to it but chrome is fun to play with. What it gives me is it bumps up the edges more without using extra polies, I can always dirty up the texture later.

Once I get the basic top view to look right, I will work on the shape as viewed from the front. Then I  can start filling in the gaps. Then the fun part of adding in the details. Fun because thats when the ship should start looking like somthing.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 07:35:17 am by red_green »

Offline Red_Green

• Lt.
  • Whatever
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 02:06:38 pm »
The mesh is done, some of the guns are not placed correct or scaled off but this is the general idea. Polies at 4600, I think about 1000 of that is in guns. So finally a resonable poly count for a Nietzchian. Leaving room for some bashing perhaps. Only the front perspective was shown so not positive about engine placement. Could be at the ends of the back wings or even behing the bridge.
This is probalbly a destroyer class.

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 03:37:43 pm »
Make a nice pirate ship that, good work RG  ;)

Offline Reverend

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 10:00:10 am »
I am really enjoying these Nietchian ships, Red_Green- both these are turning out nicely....
Can't wait for whats next.... ;D

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 11:22:08 am »
Hey RG ..  interesting ship.  And the observations on the design techniques and similarities is a good point as well.  Ya know ..  it's kinda funny how ST designers will do that  ... using something like this as another design for another race.

I'm curious to see the finished project.

If you aim at nothing:  you WILL hit it every time !

Offline Sandman3D

• Lt. Commander
  • Outalance Shipyards
    • SEDL
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 02:22:07 pm »
Lookin' good, bud!! ;D
"Proudly you gathered, rank on rank to war,
As you heard God's message from afar;
All you had hoped for, all you had, you gave
To save mankind-yourself you scorned to save."

Offline Red_Green

• Lt.
  • Whatever
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 08:18:33 am »
Lookin' good, bud!! ;D

Thanks, I've seen better views of this ship from the underside since I begin. The V shape in back needs to curve out more instead of being straight. I now know that those nodules where the V starts are the engines. I'll see what I can do to update it, hopefully I have enough polies to play with stuff. If not, then I'll just work with it as it stands now. In season 1 and 2 this ship is shown more than any other ship with the exception of the Andromeda Ascendent of course.

Offline manitoba1073

• FLEET ADMIRAL OF THE YARDS
  • Lt. Commander
    • manitobashipyards
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2005, 11:31:44 pm »
hell ya lookin good

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2005, 04:21:05 am »
Honestly before all the details get added, the basic shape kinda has a TOS Rommie feel to it. Like a V8 on steroids or something.

Yeah it would really make a cool Rommie at that. Any chance at a Romie varient?
-MP

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline CC22

• Has been known to kitbash in the name of 'canon'...
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2005, 07:24:24 pm »
Have you considered doing the Jenite (?-excuse the spelling, I am only a casual viewer of Andromeda) cruisers from that episode with Admiral Stark(?) in it? they seemed 'propper old school' sci-fi designs, be good additions. Good work btw, im liking your Andromeda bad-guys a lot.
"For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see, Saw the Vision of the World, and all the wonder that would be..."

Offline Red_Green

• Lt.
  • Whatever
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2005, 12:10:11 am »
Have you considered doing the Jenite (?-excuse the spelling, I am only a casual viewer of Andromeda) cruisers from that episode with Admiral Stark(?) in it? they seemed 'propper old school' sci-fi designs, be good additions. Good work btw, im liking your Andromeda bad-guys a lot.

Is  that the episode where Tyr gets his son  back and then the Orca pride are destroyed?  To be honest I wasn't paying close attention to the ships when I watched it. I'll have to take a look at it again.

Offline CC22

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2005, 12:52:10 pm »
I don't believe so. It had the Templars in it i believe, they were trying to obtain a genetic bio-weapon or something that would wipe out the Nietzchians.
I don't really follow Andromeda, just enjoy it when I catch it from time to time.
"For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see, Saw the Vision of the World, and all the wonder that would be..."

Offline Red_Green

• Lt.
  • Whatever
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2005, 01:09:43 pm »
I don't follow it too close either. I do have the season 1 and 2 DVD sets. There was one episode with Genites (sp?) Its likely that the same ships were used in both episodes. They tend to even use the same oribtals and stuff due to budget limits. The trouble is from the episode I saw, they didn't show many angles of the ship. So I would just have to guess of some stuff. When I get a chance I'll watch the show I saw it in and make just a real basic mesh to see if were talking about the same ship.

Offline CC22

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2005, 06:49:50 pm »
Don't put yourself out or anything, but that would be cool. If its any help the ships kinda looked like a Babylon 5 Narn G'Quan cruiser, with metalic plating not to dissimilar to a SW Star Destroyer. I love your work btw, boy you sure do churn them out lol :p.

Offline Red_Green

• Lt.
  • Whatever
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2005, 10:48:55 pm »
Is this it? The basic shape I mean. Then it has 2 small weapons pods on the aft/sides  and rocket thrusters in the back. This would be a fun project and fairly easy. The basic mesh is only 400 poly so lots of room for greables. This ship has 2 rows of small spheres on the bottom that launched Ceraphims (sp?)  small robots that attach to a ships hull and smash the hull with pointed arms.

Small update on the Nietzchain below. Reworked the mesh a bit.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 02:22:04 am by red_green »

Offline CC22

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2005, 04:30:51 pm »
Yea! thats the one. You do really well with these considering the fleeting glimpses you have to work on, and the almost complete lack of references. Good stuff indeed :)