Topic: Images of TOS Defiant from "In a Mirror, Darkly"  (Read 15727 times)

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
Images of TOS Defiant from "In a Mirror, Darkly"
« on: January 25, 2005, 08:41:12 pm »
From Save Enterprise.com

Holy crap!  That looks gorgeous!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 10:38:36 pm by Rat Boy »

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
Re: Images of TOS Defiant set from "In a Mirror, Darkly"
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 09:16:56 pm »
From Save Enterprise.com

HOT DAMN!!!

Man, that is AWESOME!!! Everything is just like it should be!

Maybe we could talk Paramont into using these sets to make another TOS-era series, or better still a movie set in that time frame, aboard another ship?

Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 09:42:29 pm »
From Save Enterprise.com

A little too gorgeous.  I hope they mess it up a little before they film it.

Defiant is not supposed to be a brand new ship.  The ladders, jefferies tubes and protective meshes should be at least a little dirty.

If this episode goes anything like the rumours then it clearly puts Enterprise in an alternate reality compared to the mainstream Trek.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 09:49:11 pm »
From Save Enterprise.com

A little too gorgeous.  I hope they mess it up a little before they film it.

Defiant is not supposed to be a brand new ship.  The ladders, jefferies tubes and protective meshes should be at least a little dirty.

If this episode goes anything like the rumours then it clearly puts Enterprise in an alternate reality compared to the mainstream Trek.

Oh, yeah... I didn't mean that they aren't going to have to 'weather' the sets a little- I meant that it was gorgeous in the fact that it was done EXACTLY LIKE IT SHOLD HAVE BEEN!!! They didn't try to change it or fix it up, they just hauled out the old blueprints and made new sets.

ANd I agree that this does indeed give us the possibility that Enterprise is an altenate universe.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 09:55:01 pm »
The look awsome ;D
From Me to You - The Beatles

If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything i can do,
Just call on me and i'll send it along
With love from me to you.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 10:34:44 pm »
Maybe we could talk Paramont into using these sets to make another TOS-era series, or better still a movie set in that time frame, aboard another ship?

I doubt it.  Word on the street is that ENT is heading towards cancellation, judging both by comments made by studio execs, the fact that Manny Coto is pulling every trick in the Trek book, and by the fact that B&B are writing the season finale, which now is rumored to feature a couple cameos from the TNG cast.

this episode goes anything like the rumours then it clearly puts Enterprise in an alternate reality compared to the mainstream Trek.

Clearly, you haven't been reading the rumors on this episode, then.

Offline 14G_Tiger

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 08:08:40 am »

I doubt it.  Word on the street is that ENT is heading towards cancellation, judging both by comments made by studio execs, the fact that Manny Coto is pulling every trick in the Trek book, and by the fact that B&B are writing the season finale, which now is rumored to feature a couple cameos from the TNG cast.

If it was cancelled by UPN, is there any possiblility of Sci-Fi picking it up?

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 09:11:26 am »

I doubt it.  Word on the street is that ENT is heading towards cancellation,

He said TOS-era, not ENT-era.   ;)

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell
-----------------------------------------

Offline The Postman

• 1st Sgt, Bugler, Commander, L. A. Tifft Camp 15, SUVCW
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2005, 10:22:45 am »
They made one change which I do like. The dedication plaque by the door says it is a Constitution class ship, not starship class.

Link: ht

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 10:35:10 am »
Man I'm Feeling Nostalgic now.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 10:43:03 am »

Scip, like it or not, if ENT is cancelled, all of Trek is cancelled.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2005, 12:52:16 pm »

Scip, like it or not, if ENT is cancelled, all of Trek is cancelled.

LOL...

You expect Paramont to put their biggest cash cow out to pasture that easily?

I supremely doubt it.

THey will regroup and think for a few years, and there will be another Trek series right on schedule, in about 5 years.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2005, 12:58:02 pm »

But it isn't their biggest cash cow anymore, particularly on television and in the movie theaters, the two things that drive everything else in the franchise.  Plans for an eleventh Trek feature has been put on hiatus.  Rick Berman and Brannon Braga, the two creators of ENT who stepped back from the franchise this year to pursue other projects, are coming back to write the season finale, suggesting it could also be a series finale.  Les Moonves, co-president of Viacom, has suggested that the franchise needs a break.  This literally is it; Trek for the next ten or twenty years could hinge on whether or not the studio axes ENT in May.  Once that happens, it'll be like the dark ages of the 70s all over again, but even worse, because not only will the studio not be interested in re-starting the franchise, but a lot of fans won't, either.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2005, 01:16:04 pm »

But it isn't their biggest cash cow anymore, particularly on television and in the movie theaters, the two things that drive everything else in the franchise.  ...Once that happens, it'll be like the dark ages of the 70s all over again, but even worse, because not only will the studio not be interested in re-starting the franchise, but a lot of fans won't, either.

First off... Paramont has NOTHING that they can KNOW will bring in money like a Trek movie. Have any of the Trek movies FAILED to make money?

EVER?

Nope... they are a sure thing. Paramont knows that a decent Trek movie- not even a good one- will finance 2 more blockbusters if they need the money.

Also, in the 70's it wasn't really a world-wide army that was demanding a return for Trek... it was a dedicated corps of fans that never quit. Not only will that dedicated corps never disappear, it has grown to include every country in the Western world, and some Eastern countries. Plus, most fans have a beef with B&B, not Trek. Loose them, ad the fans will start going 'Hmmmm' and looking at the fact that something different could be in the works.

Trek will NEVER be something that Paramont will take lightly, and they will never give up on it. They might indeed rest it a while, but I know it will be back before too long.

Offline TranceEmotion

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2005, 01:30:43 pm »
nemesis, any more need be said about failed movies............ i think they just barely covered costs.....

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2005, 02:02:44 pm »
nemesis, any more need be said about failed movies............ i think they just barely covered costs.....

That was the only one to barely makeit- and it was a sucky story. t was also almost universally boycotted because Berman had near total control and totally rewrote Trewk to make it work for his movie.

All other Trek Movies have grossed well.

Dropping B&B will solve the only real problem fans have with Trek... the way that one man disreguards what the entire fan base wants.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2005, 02:30:32 pm »
First off... Paramont has NOTHING that they can KNOW will bring in money like a Trek movie. Have any of the Trek movies FAILED to make money?

EVER?

Nope... they are a sure thing.

Nemesis came close to not breaking even.  Video sales helped it out in the end, but the bottom line is that the guranteed profit margin for a Trek movie has dropped off considerably.  I don't see them greenlighting another one now, and they didn't as the recent reports suggest.  No, a Trek film is by no means a "sure thing" anymore.  At best, it could work in the direct-to-video market, but those rarely earn enough to cover the budget of a Trek feature.

Plus, most fans have a beef with B&B, not Trek.

If that were the case, they would have came back to ENT when Manny Coto took over.  So far, they haven't, and more still are leaving.

Trek will NEVER be something that Paramont will take lightly, and they will never give up on it.

That was definately true a year ago.  Sherry Lansing, the head of the studio, is credited as the one who stuck by Trek through the recent years.  However, she quit late last year and there are inklings that the attitude of the current management towards Trek is different than what it was.

This is it, J.  If ENT doesn't start performing soon and if the studio decides to cut its losses, Trek is finished.  Not for a year, not for five years, but for a really long time.  And I for one fear that it'll end up just like Battlestar Galactica; gone for twenty years only to return in a bastardized and unrecognizable form that doesn't deserve the name of Star Trek.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2005, 03:47:05 pm »
Plus, most fans have a beef with B&B, not Trek.

If that were the case, they would have came back to ENT when Manny Coto took over.  So far, they haven't, and more still are leaving.

How long has he been runing the show- a couple of months? Half a season? A whole season?

It takes a while to get people's trust back. He has made a lotof converts on the boards here, and will have done the same out there... more will come back as hard-core's like us get the word out that times they are a'changing.

Regaining the fans B&B lost will take time, but it will happen, and Paramont will be watching for it. Trek is something that they can't let die. It's a bad business move.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2005, 04:48:35 pm »
How long has he been runing the show- a couple of months? Half a season? A whole season?

It takes a while to get people's trust back. He has made a lotof converts on the boards here, and will have done the same out there... more will come back as hard-core's like us get the word out that times they are a'changing.

Regaining the fans B&B lost will take time, but it will happen, and Paramont will be watching for it. Trek is something that they can't let die. It's a bad business move.

The problem, J., is that ENT needs to be regaining these fans back *right now* instead of continually losing them as it is.  ENT needs something big to regain their ratings, and fancy sets and cameos by characters from another spin-off show aren't going to do it.  They need the very man they've been trying to get for months but apparently have given up on; they need William Shatner to come back as James Kirk.  That is the only way to draw the fans back.

And you're wrong; Trek needs Paramount more than the other way around.  You may think it's a bad business move, but putting the franchise on extended hiatus like it did for the 70s is looking more and more like a viable option to the suits.  Which is why we have to keep watching.  We can't let ENT die for if it goes, the entire franchise will get dragged down with it.  Then all you'll have is re-runs on Spike TV sandwiched between ads on time-shares and impotency pills.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2005, 06:30:58 pm »
And to get this thread back on track, if you look real close at the bottom of the ship's dedication plaque, it says "Tranquility Base."  Apparently, Starfleet has a shipyard in orbit of the Moon.

Offline Khalee1

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2005, 12:29:10 pm »
Well looks like they took the pictures down should have got them when I had the chance. :(

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2005, 12:29:52 pm »
No doubt. Any one grab them? If so could you shoot them off in an email to either Khalee or I?

stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2005, 01:19:02 pm »
I doubt it.  Word on the street is that ENT is heading towards cancellation

It's a dark, stormy night in Sin City.  Rat Boy, clad in his trademark trench coat and fedora, sidles up to a greasy looking man in an anonymous alley.  He extends his hand, and the obvious criminal shakes it...taking the sawbuck RB had flat against his palm.

"So."  Our hero asks quietly.  "What you hear about Enterprise?"

"Ah man....you don' wanna hear 'bout that...."  The informant replies.

"Yeah." RB confirms, holding out another bill.  "I do."

"Your funeral man..."

;D
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2005, 01:20:36 pm »
I doubt it.  Word on the street is that ENT is heading towards cancellation

It's a dark, stormy night in Sin City.  Rat Boy, clad in his trademark trench coat and fedora, sidles up to a greasy looking man in an anonymous alley.  He extends his hand, and the obvious criminal shakes it...taking the sawbuck RB had flat against his palm.

"So."  Our hero asks quietly.  "What you hear about Enterprise?"

"Ah man....you don' wanna hear 'bout that...."  The informant replies.

"Yeah." RB confirms, holding out another bill.  "I do."

"Your funeral man..."

;D
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

Stephen

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2005, 01:26:28 pm »
The sad part is that all he wants is gold-pressed latinum choclate bars from the Star Trek Experience.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2005, 07:07:03 pm »
No doubt. Any one grab them? If so could you shoot them off in an email to either Khalee or I?

stephen

Do you still need them? I have them in my cache.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2005, 07:53:13 pm »
Dig around the TrekBBS.  If you're quick, you can find a link to them by a poster before a mod edits their post.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2005, 09:24:36 am »
Sure do guys. If you would be so kind Postman, Email It to me at stephen.sirgod@gmail.com

Stephen

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2005, 01:35:41 pm »
if anyone has them and wouldn't mind sending them to robert.dufrane@gmail.com it would be greatly appreciated :)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2005, 09:00:35 pm »
done

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2005, 10:20:46 pm »
To tell the truth, I was one of those who gave up on Enterprise.  But I'm thinking of going back to watching Enterprise again.  I guess it's not as bad as I thought.  I'd still like to think that Masao Okazaki's Pre-TOS website (Starfleet Museum) has a better timeline of Trek than Enterprise, but I'm sure I'll be entertained by Season 4 reruns and the upcoming newer episodes to not care about canon this or continuity that...

But don't grow pessimistic over Star Trek's future.  Enterprise might go on for a fifth season.  And even if it doesn't, we'll still have the novels, the past shows, the movies, the websites, etc.  Star Trek won't die out, and it's existance could be majorly fan-based.  I wonder however if the future of Trek is more of heading that way as we converse on this forum, with fanfilms such as Starship Exeter and Star Trek: New Voyages.  My main point here I'm trying to make is that Enterprise won't be Star Trek's death.  It might hurt, but like in Trek's World War III, it's not the end.  It's just a hurtle onto heading for a brighter future.  That's why I majorly like Star Trek; It's optimism.  People are really lacking it here, and I'm really disappointed.  Whether Enterprise is canceled or not, I believe Star Trek won't die out.  Not with a fan base as big as what Trek has.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 04:03:13 pm by Chris Johnson »

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2005, 12:39:21 am »
Starship Exeter

Honestly, the bridge of this reminds me a lot of the Exeter set, at least in terms of more modern lighting.

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2005, 10:03:19 pm »
Here's an image of the new Defiant Bridge that it is OK for me to post.

This was from Startrek.com's Production Report for "In a Mirror, Darkly".
Note: There are huge spoilers, more so than usual.  If you have any self-control whatsoever, I recommend not clicking on that link.  I didn't have self-control, so I'll tell you that it looks cool.

If you want just a few bits of info so most of it can stay hidden, scroll below

Don't say I didn't warn you

Makeup changes:
Archer's hair was died black
T'Pol's hair is lighter and longer
Trip has radiation burns on his face (think Pike in the Managerie)
Hoshi has eye makeup

Uniform changes:
Jumpsuits embellished with leather straps and weapon belts
Women's jumpsuits have a "revealing bare midriff"
Phlox has a black leather suit that is so thick and ridged that Billingsley couldn't sit down

Other details:
Although most of the filming was with the digital cameras introduced this season, some used the older style cameras with film (to match footage of a certain scene).
Script calls for changed opening with more militaristic images ending with the Terran Imperial Empire symbol

Episode details:
You'll see a Tholian walking around.
The ship will have dead crewmen in the same positions from the Tholian web.
Yes, there will be Agony Booths.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2005, 10:20:21 pm »
Walking Tholian?  That might make those Tholian fans who thought they were floating crystal things a bit upset.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2005, 10:23:30 pm »
I'll be watching, mostly for the new opening scenes.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Images of TOS Defiant from "In a Mirror, Darkly"
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2005, 10:40:23 pm »
Prelim images of exterior at Save Enterprise

Very, very prelim, since they just wrapped shooting.  At least I hope so; if not, somebody needs to set these guys up with Lord Schtupp or TheStressPuppy.

Edit: These are probably fakes, based on what I'm reading now.

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2005, 10:44:28 pm »
If it isn't preliminary, I'm hoping the lighting they'll add to it with stars and stuff will make it look better.

But, given all the other ships they've done, I can't imagine something like that being what they show (especially because the show is avaiable in HD, just not where I live...).

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2005, 10:34:13 am »
According to ENT Producer Mike Sussman, "It's a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!"

Offline Chris Johnson

• Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2005, 02:10:33 pm »
Walking Tholian?  That might make those Tholian fans who thought they were floating crystal things a bit upset.

I remember a friend of mine in Arizona a little over ten years ago who was into Star Trek, and even read comics.  One of his favorites that came out at the time involved Tholians that had two arms and two legs in the TNG-era.  I figured they'd be a tiny bit-more unique than crystalline humanoids, that they wouldn't be floating crystals (which I believe they will be portrayed as on Starship Exeter's "The Tressaurian Intersection" upon their release of said fanfilm)... Oh well.  *shrug*

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2005, 02:36:02 pm »
There's also a third description (which may be the one we'll see, come to think of it) that depicts Tholians as crystalline insects.  Certainly looks a bit more unique than a crystal man.

Offline Chris Johnson

• Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2005, 04:40:48 pm »
Ugh... I really hate spiders and insects and related stuff.  I'd rather see the more humanoid-like one, with the description of the Tholian "Web" as being some Terran nickname for the energy barrier they use.

The only spider I like is the one swinging on his web across skyscrapers and had two hit movies and tons of comics... But I'm not too fond of that spider either, and I'm digressing.  So yeah, I would rather prefer a more-humanoid-like one.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2005, 04:50:43 pm »
Actually, from how I read it, it seemed like the Tholians' form was based on the Shadows from Babylon 5.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2005, 11:48:56 pm »
They made one change which I do like. The dedication plaque by the door says it is a Constitution class ship, not starship class.

Well, guess it will never be on TV since Enterprise is cancelled.. yes there is a Trek movie in the process, but I doubt that ship will be in it.. it may be, but I doubt it... as such, the canon reference for the TOS CA is still Starship Class as seen in TOS "The Cage" and almost any shipboard episode on TOS.. as such, there are 78 episodes of canon to conquer the Starship Class designation.. the first canon reference in Trek for Constitution Class is in the ST VI movie where Scotty is looking at the 1701-A modification of the Enterprise Class ship.. the NCC-1701-A is a Constitution Class refit of the Enterprise Class as shown by the schematic that Scotty was looking at (Same body style as the Enterprise Class, Paper stated "Constitution Class Refit" as such Constitution Class is a refit of the Enterprise Class which is a refit of the Starship Class..
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2005, 12:03:14 am »
Well, guess it will never be on TV since Enterprise is cancelled..

Pest, you're misintrepreting it a little.  The series, in technical terms, hasn't been renewed for next season.  It will continue to be on until the series finale on May 13, so we'll all get to see "In a Mirror, Darkly," which on top of the Defiant will also feature a Gorn and a Tholian.

Offline Chris Johnson

• Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2005, 10:29:56 am »
You're digressing, Pest.  Please take that pet peeve to another topic.  Isn't this about the TOS Defiant and not about what is or isn't canon?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 11:10:13 am by Chris Johnson »

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2005, 11:05:21 am »
Anyone catch the vague allusion to "Mirror, Mirror" in last night's episode?

Offline Hyperion

• Commander
  • Local Canuckistan
    • Our other National Anthem
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2005, 03:10:32 pm »

The problem, J., is that ENT needs to be regaining these fans back *right now* instead of continually losing them as it is.  ENT needs something big to regain their ratings, and fancy sets and cameos by characters from another spin-off show aren't going to do it.  They need the very man they've been trying to get for months but apparently have given up on; they need William Shatner to come back as James Kirk.  That is the only way to draw the fans back.

And you're wrong; Trek needs Paramount more than the other way around.  You may think it's a bad business move, but putting the franchise on extended hiatus like it did for the 70s is looking more and more like a viable option to the suits.  Which is why we have to keep watching.  We can't let ENT die for if it goes, the entire franchise will get dragged down with it.  Then all you'll have is re-runs on Spike TV sandwiched between ads on time-shares and impotency pills.

I would tend to agree with you that the franchise needs to bring the fans back. However Bill shatner is i lbelieve close to 70 years old. His day is done as the recurring character of Kirk in any TV series and he would likely be the first to tell you that. Not only that but what could you possibly offer Shatner to come back to what seems to be a nightmare of a weekly sci-fi drama for a man in his seventh decade? Frankly i dont think there is anything that tempt him.

All tv shows die and pass on . reruns of once loved shows are broadcast all the time on classic channels etc etc. But the facts are (at least to me) that Star Trek has essentially been sucked dry of any possible future. What are we going to do with it? Have the Romulans, Again. More Klingons, again, more aliens with funny bumps on thier heads? or perhaps we can revisit the past, again?. Once i saw the Alien Nazi's storyline i knew that not only scraped the bottom of the barrel but had pretty much knocked the bottom out.

Im not complaining, We had a good run of Star Trek from the Next Generation till now, almost two full decades worth of something we loved. But i think the reason that we did love it is that we had to wait a long time for it since the end of TOS. So perhaps a generation from now some propeller-head at Paramount will look back at this time when he was young and remebered that he loved STar Trek and will think of something original.

If enterpise has to go , well then it has to go. Most people including myself that B&B are a couple eraserheads who instead of trying something new for star trek , simply took and new venue and rehased the same ideas until even fans got sick of watching it and more or less raved at just how far the franchise had been let down. Star Trek needs a break, a long one. And if doesnt come back thats ok too. If one were to sit down and watch every espisode from al the ST series for 8 hours a day it would take weeks towatch it all, everything said and done, thats a pretty good legacy
"Who is this god person anyways ?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Adams

Offline Chris Johnson

• Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2005, 03:27:23 pm »
I once-again quote myself, to Hyperion this time:

But don't grow pessimistic over Star Trek's future.  Enterprise might go on for a fifth season.  And even if it doesn't, we'll still have the novels, the past shows, the movies, the websites, etc.  Star Trek won't die out, and it's existance could be majorly fan-based.  I wonder however if the future of Trek is more of heading that way as we converse on this forum, with fanfilms such as Starship Exeter and Star Trek: New Voyages.  My main point here I'm trying to make is that Enterprise won't be Star Trek's death.  It might hurt, but like in Trek's World War III, it's not the end.  It's just a hurtle onto heading for a brighter future.  That's why I majorly like Star Trek; It's optimism.  People are really lacking it here, and I'm really disappointed.  Whether Enterprise is canceled or not, I believe Star Trek won't die out.  Not with a fan base as big as what Trek has.

Here's what I'm emphasizing here:

That's why I majorly like Star Trek; It's optimism.  People are really lacking it here, and I'm really disappointed.

I state that because I feel your message is overall not really optimistic, Hyperion.  I mean no offense, but I just feel this way.

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2005, 08:54:27 pm »
Personally, though it isn't popular, I think putting Trek on hiatus for the next few years is EXACTLY what trek needs.  In my opinion.

Either that or start and Excelsior series with Sulu as Captain...and soon before George dies.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Hyperion

• Commander
  • Local Canuckistan
    • Our other National Anthem
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2005, 02:40:04 pm »
I once-again quote myself, to Hyperion this time:

But don't grow pessimistic over Star Trek's future.? Enterprise might go on for a fifth season.? And even if it doesn't, we'll still have the novels, the past shows, the movies, the websites, etc.? Star Trek won't die out, and it's existance could be majorly fan-based.? I wonder however if the future of Trek is more of heading that way as we converse on this forum, with fanfilms such as Starship Exeter and Star Trek: New Voyages.? My main point here I'm trying to make is that Enterprise won't be Star Trek's death.? It might hurt, but like in Trek's World War III, it's not the end.? It's just a hurtle onto heading for a brighter future.? That's why I majorly like Star Trek; It's optimism.? People are really lacking it here, and I'm really disappointed.? Whether Enterprise is canceled or not, I believe Star Trek won't die out.? Not with a fan base as big as what Trek has.

Here's what I'm emphasizing here:

That's why I majorly like Star Trek; It's optimism.? People are really lacking it here, and I'm really disappointed.

I state that because I feel your message is overall not really optimistic, Hyperion.  I mean no offense, but I just feel this way.

None taken, but eveything depends on the context in which "optimistic" and "optimisim" are used. I for onw who likes star trek and always have. Im gratefull that ive had the oppportunity to watch some very good epsidoes of the series and all of the movies which have been made.

Like i said im not complaning about any of it. Ive enjoyed it, even bad trek was worth watching compared to some of the series that have come and gone (Melrose place, Dallas, Baywatch, simple life etc, etc). But i do believe that the the franchise as a whole has been played out pretty much. If i can take an narrow anology. The Franchise is like a renewable resource. However for the last 17-18 years various people at paramount have simply squeezed that franchise until the only drips left leave a bad taste in a fans mouth.

If my optimism is to be found its not in the idea that William Shatner or Leonard nimoy will by thier very presence would have returned ST to its glory days. That was never and now will not ever happen. You can only have so many guest appearances for the novelty until it wears off. The optimism lies with simply giving it a break. Back in the sixties and 70's leading op to ST: TMP was the desire of the fans to see more ST. Unfortuntealy that fan base seems to have devolved to those who attends Sci-fi cons. Or at least the ones that make noise at Paramount.

For most of the public the reaction to ST has been "What?...more?...again?" and with good cause ,with a unbroken string of ST series since the late eighties. More and more people simply turned the channel, and it showed in advertsiing revenues for Enterprise. It's not the viewers fault they simply didnt get into it. And with "reality" TV and some honestly good shows out there (sopranos, desperate housewives, Six feet under etc etc) the competiton for the viewer was getting tighter and Enterprsie essentially failed to give the viewer something new. Whether that because of B&B or not isn't the issue , the end result is.

Do i hope that ST makes a comeback. Of course. but they are going to find it difficult. 18 years of ST shows has depleted the "resource" in a very real way. There are those who say that ST cannot ever die because of the "idea" of the Federation itself. Not so . Your average family is just that. You have a couple who both hold down jobs with two kids, who just want to be entertained. The dont want to have figure out what a klingon is or a romulan or vulcan or why the andorians have attanae on thier blue skinned heads whenthey have perfectly good eyes. More over they dont care.

Optimism is always a good thing to have , but it should be tempered for the reality of the modern viewing public. If pessimism is defined as simply a desire for orginality, based upon the fact the Enterprise ratings have gotten lower and lower then by all means, its pessmistic. But as far as Television and movies go, its not "fans" that make or break a show, its Mrs. & Mr Smith and the 2.5 little "smiths" that determine whats a hit or miss.

If i a man who made serious wishes, i would asked for a ST that were the Federation were a little less "perfect" Utopia that we were showwn. Where people failed sometimes and people died somtimes (and i dont mean the odd guest star) Show a Federation where officers and crew are "people" not just Marionettes with thier hand on the hearts spouting the prime directive, who actually have to make hard decision as to where thier real loyaltes lie. Or where whatever crisis comes up is solved by some technobabble and and special effects. In other words have something the general public can attach too.

"Enterprise" had the potential but they just couldnt pull it off

Hyp

"Who is this god person anyways ?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Adams

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2005, 05:12:53 pm »
Hmm... this mirror episode looks like it could be very interesting. I haven't been paying much attention to the show since about halfway through the first season, but judging from those pictures of the Defiant, the production report, and if Manny Coto is making things as better as some of you are saying, then this could actually be an episode I'll make an effort to see.
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2005, 04:27:21 pm »
Here's some of the Starfleet patches and insignia from the two-parter, taken from Star Trek.com:

The mirror Enterprise, with the twin Imperial daggers.

The mirror MACOs, reminiscent of a skull crest worn by officers of the Nazi SS.

The Avenger, another NX-class warship, with styling similar to patches of American Navy ships.  The motto roughly translates to "Fortune Favors the Empire," a play on the motto of the NX-02 Columbia, "Fortune Favors the Bold," an oft heard phrase in Trek these days.

A revised version of the old Terran Empire symbol from "Mirror, Mirror," featuring a solid border around the Earth and a "squishing" of the planets topography so that all the continents are visible.

You know, maybe there's a market in selling all the patches seen on ENT, like they do with Air Force and Navy aircraft squadron patches.

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2005, 08:59:32 pm »
When will the first part of this episode air, anyway? I'm too lazy to check. :P
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2005, 09:17:56 pm »
It was going to be April 15, but I think they moved it up a week so the finale could be two hours (they basically just stuck the two episodes back to back, I don't even think the same writers are creating each half).  So that would be new episodes started April 15 (with some Orion slave girls) and In a Mirror, Darkly airing the 22nd and 29th.