Topic: Images of TOS Defiant from "In a Mirror, Darkly"  (Read 15723 times)

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
Images of TOS Defiant from "In a Mirror, Darkly"
« on: January 25, 2005, 08:41:12 pm »
From Save Enterprise.com

Holy crap!  That looks gorgeous!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 10:38:36 pm by Rat Boy »

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
Re: Images of TOS Defiant set from "In a Mirror, Darkly"
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 09:16:56 pm »
From Save Enterprise.com

HOT DAMN!!!

Man, that is AWESOME!!! Everything is just like it should be!

Maybe we could talk Paramont into using these sets to make another TOS-era series, or better still a movie set in that time frame, aboard another ship?

Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 09:42:29 pm »
From Save Enterprise.com

A little too gorgeous.  I hope they mess it up a little before they film it.

Defiant is not supposed to be a brand new ship.  The ladders, jefferies tubes and protective meshes should be at least a little dirty.

If this episode goes anything like the rumours then it clearly puts Enterprise in an alternate reality compared to the mainstream Trek.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 09:49:11 pm »
From Save Enterprise.com

A little too gorgeous.  I hope they mess it up a little before they film it.

Defiant is not supposed to be a brand new ship.  The ladders, jefferies tubes and protective meshes should be at least a little dirty.

If this episode goes anything like the rumours then it clearly puts Enterprise in an alternate reality compared to the mainstream Trek.

Oh, yeah... I didn't mean that they aren't going to have to 'weather' the sets a little- I meant that it was gorgeous in the fact that it was done EXACTLY LIKE IT SHOLD HAVE BEEN!!! They didn't try to change it or fix it up, they just hauled out the old blueprints and made new sets.

ANd I agree that this does indeed give us the possibility that Enterprise is an altenate universe.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 09:55:01 pm »
The look awsome ;D
From Me to You - The Beatles

If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything i can do,
Just call on me and i'll send it along
With love from me to you.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 10:34:44 pm »
Maybe we could talk Paramont into using these sets to make another TOS-era series, or better still a movie set in that time frame, aboard another ship?

I doubt it.  Word on the street is that ENT is heading towards cancellation, judging both by comments made by studio execs, the fact that Manny Coto is pulling every trick in the Trek book, and by the fact that B&B are writing the season finale, which now is rumored to feature a couple cameos from the TNG cast.

this episode goes anything like the rumours then it clearly puts Enterprise in an alternate reality compared to the mainstream Trek.

Clearly, you haven't been reading the rumors on this episode, then.

Offline 14G_Tiger

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 08:08:40 am »

I doubt it.  Word on the street is that ENT is heading towards cancellation, judging both by comments made by studio execs, the fact that Manny Coto is pulling every trick in the Trek book, and by the fact that B&B are writing the season finale, which now is rumored to feature a couple cameos from the TNG cast.

If it was cancelled by UPN, is there any possiblility of Sci-Fi picking it up?

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 09:11:26 am »

I doubt it.  Word on the street is that ENT is heading towards cancellation,

He said TOS-era, not ENT-era.   ;)

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell
-----------------------------------------

Offline The Postman

• 1st Sgt, Bugler, Commander, L. A. Tifft Camp 15, SUVCW
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2005, 10:22:45 am »
They made one change which I do like. The dedication plaque by the door says it is a Constitution class ship, not starship class.

Link: ht

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 10:35:10 am »
Man I'm Feeling Nostalgic now.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 10:43:03 am »

Scip, like it or not, if ENT is cancelled, all of Trek is cancelled.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2005, 12:52:16 pm »

Scip, like it or not, if ENT is cancelled, all of Trek is cancelled.

LOL...

You expect Paramont to put their biggest cash cow out to pasture that easily?

I supremely doubt it.

THey will regroup and think for a few years, and there will be another Trek series right on schedule, in about 5 years.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2005, 12:58:02 pm »

But it isn't their biggest cash cow anymore, particularly on television and in the movie theaters, the two things that drive everything else in the franchise.  Plans for an eleventh Trek feature has been put on hiatus.  Rick Berman and Brannon Braga, the two creators of ENT who stepped back from the franchise this year to pursue other projects, are coming back to write the season finale, suggesting it could also be a series finale.  Les Moonves, co-president of Viacom, has suggested that the franchise needs a break.  This literally is it; Trek for the next ten or twenty years could hinge on whether or not the studio axes ENT in May.  Once that happens, it'll be like the dark ages of the 70s all over again, but even worse, because not only will the studio not be interested in re-starting the franchise, but a lot of fans won't, either.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2005, 01:16:04 pm »

But it isn't their biggest cash cow anymore, particularly on television and in the movie theaters, the two things that drive everything else in the franchise.  ...Once that happens, it'll be like the dark ages of the 70s all over again, but even worse, because not only will the studio not be interested in re-starting the franchise, but a lot of fans won't, either.

First off... Paramont has NOTHING that they can KNOW will bring in money like a Trek movie. Have any of the Trek movies FAILED to make money?

EVER?

Nope... they are a sure thing. Paramont knows that a decent Trek movie- not even a good one- will finance 2 more blockbusters if they need the money.

Also, in the 70's it wasn't really a world-wide army that was demanding a return for Trek... it was a dedicated corps of fans that never quit. Not only will that dedicated corps never disappear, it has grown to include every country in the Western world, and some Eastern countries. Plus, most fans have a beef with B&B, not Trek. Loose them, ad the fans will start going 'Hmmmm' and looking at the fact that something different could be in the works.

Trek will NEVER be something that Paramont will take lightly, and they will never give up on it. They might indeed rest it a while, but I know it will be back before too long.

Offline TranceEmotion

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2005, 01:30:43 pm »
nemesis, any more need be said about failed movies............ i think they just barely covered costs.....

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2005, 02:02:44 pm »
nemesis, any more need be said about failed movies............ i think they just barely covered costs.....

That was the only one to barely makeit- and it was a sucky story. t was also almost universally boycotted because Berman had near total control and totally rewrote Trewk to make it work for his movie.

All other Trek Movies have grossed well.

Dropping B&B will solve the only real problem fans have with Trek... the way that one man disreguards what the entire fan base wants.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2005, 02:30:32 pm »
First off... Paramont has NOTHING that they can KNOW will bring in money like a Trek movie. Have any of the Trek movies FAILED to make money?

EVER?

Nope... they are a sure thing.

Nemesis came close to not breaking even.  Video sales helped it out in the end, but the bottom line is that the guranteed profit margin for a Trek movie has dropped off considerably.  I don't see them greenlighting another one now, and they didn't as the recent reports suggest.  No, a Trek film is by no means a "sure thing" anymore.  At best, it could work in the direct-to-video market, but those rarely earn enough to cover the budget of a Trek feature.

Plus, most fans have a beef with B&B, not Trek.

If that were the case, they would have came back to ENT when Manny Coto took over.  So far, they haven't, and more still are leaving.

Trek will NEVER be something that Paramont will take lightly, and they will never give up on it.

That was definately true a year ago.  Sherry Lansing, the head of the studio, is credited as the one who stuck by Trek through the recent years.  However, she quit late last year and there are inklings that the attitude of the current management towards Trek is different than what it was.

This is it, J.  If ENT doesn't start performing soon and if the studio decides to cut its losses, Trek is finished.  Not for a year, not for five years, but for a really long time.  And I for one fear that it'll end up just like Battlestar Galactica; gone for twenty years only to return in a bastardized and unrecognizable form that doesn't deserve the name of Star Trek.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2005, 03:47:05 pm »
Plus, most fans have a beef with B&B, not Trek.

If that were the case, they would have came back to ENT when Manny Coto took over.  So far, they haven't, and more still are leaving.

How long has he been runing the show- a couple of months? Half a season? A whole season?

It takes a while to get people's trust back. He has made a lotof converts on the boards here, and will have done the same out there... more will come back as hard-core's like us get the word out that times they are a'changing.

Regaining the fans B&B lost will take time, but it will happen, and Paramont will be watching for it. Trek is something that they can't let die. It's a bad business move.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2005, 04:48:35 pm »
How long has he been runing the show- a couple of months? Half a season? A whole season?

It takes a while to get people's trust back. He has made a lotof converts on the boards here, and will have done the same out there... more will come back as hard-core's like us get the word out that times they are a'changing.

Regaining the fans B&B lost will take time, but it will happen, and Paramont will be watching for it. Trek is something that they can't let die. It's a bad business move.

The problem, J., is that ENT needs to be regaining these fans back *right now* instead of continually losing them as it is.  ENT needs something big to regain their ratings, and fancy sets and cameos by characters from another spin-off show aren't going to do it.  They need the very man they've been trying to get for months but apparently have given up on; they need William Shatner to come back as James Kirk.  That is the only way to draw the fans back.

And you're wrong; Trek needs Paramount more than the other way around.  You may think it's a bad business move, but putting the franchise on extended hiatus like it did for the 70s is looking more and more like a viable option to the suits.  Which is why we have to keep watching.  We can't let ENT die for if it goes, the entire franchise will get dragged down with it.  Then all you'll have is re-runs on Spike TV sandwiched between ads on time-shares and impotency pills.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2005, 06:30:58 pm »
And to get this thread back on track, if you look real close at the bottom of the ship's dedication plaque, it says "Tranquility Base."  Apparently, Starfleet has a shipyard in orbit of the Moon.