Topic: Semi-radical changes to stock SFCIII  (Read 2972 times)

Offline Cozbo

• Lt. Junior Grade
Semi-radical changes to stock SFCIII
« on: February 08, 2005, 07:02:49 pm »
I know that many here have modded or at least tinkered with  SFCIII files.

I know that most players in SFCIII are not the same group as SFCII/OP although there are crossover players.

I  also know that SFCIII has in the past  been given a bad rap as not being as good as the others in the series. i even thought this myself for a few months when 3 first came out, but have grown very use to it now.

Over the last  years of playing it, the most disappointing feature in stock games  to me was the mass of sheilds.

Many GSA players and alot of dynaverse players strip off thier shields  right away  in order to get  thier turn rates and impulse speeds to acceptable levels. rarely do we see players in stock games using  heavy sheilds in in DN's due to the  excessive weight they have.

I would think that if we were going to balance out the game in a way that would  make ALL parts of this game useful we  would want to see sheilds modified from  how they are now.

Although the idea may be critised by some I would suggest the following:

Reduce sheild mass and sheild mass available space in such a way as to make larger ships beneit from  being able to carry heavy sheilds without suffering the heavy penalty they have on impulse and turn rate.

It is possible to make a large ship still turn at an acceptable level with class appropriate sheilds without modifying other parts of this game.

I just don't want to see alot of work go into making a "balancing" patch that stil leaves much to be desired and leaves players still stripping ships sheilding to make them competitve.

Offline NannerSlug

• Master of the "Magic Photon"
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • SFC3.Net
Re: Semi-radical changes to stock SFCIII
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 09:54:34 pm »
Good idea. Been doing that since Generations at War 2.0 release.

:)

Seriously - decrease the mass of the shields and the mass allowed on each shield porportionally and it works. :)
"A Republican thinks every day is July 4th. A Democrat thinks every day is April 15th." - Ronald Reagan

Offline GarrethMacLeod

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Alternate B Website
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 10:50:35 pm »
I'd agree to reducing the weight of the shields but only if the weight is put in somewhere else (cargo space perhaps). The "acceptable" turn rate makes jet fighters out of space ships. If I wanted a jet simluation, I'd go out and buy one of those and play that, not SFC3. I can't imagine spaceships flying around like jet fighters, but that's exactly what you do when you reduce the shields. Reducing the mass of the shields will only allow people to fly jets with more shielding. It just doesn't sound like Star Trek to me, IMHO.
Alternate B Chief Map Drone and General Whipping Boy
http://www.AlternateB.org

Offline Forgetful_Duck

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 08:30:44 am »
Well first of all whats acceptable to you? Its kinda different in everyones mind...

For me a Impulse of no less then 25 is the bare minimum, and 30-35 is good enough for me on a DN classed ship.
And a manuver rate of 0.70 minimum is also good. Ive had a DN loaded with weapons, shields 7 and One 8  4 Quantums  1 photon , warp IX and it had a max speed of 35.XX and 1.05 manuver.

And i agree with garreth, zooming 'jets' just dont seeem like star trek.... You know, big ships are lumber beast, while smaller are always agile and speedy. And if its a player who strips all shields off, cause for speed then thats a thing they can do. And u can feel good cause You have shields while ur oponent doesn't. Hull damage anyone?

Offline Cozbo

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 10:55:01 pm »
Acceptable levels of turn rate and speed per class when fully outfitted and level 6 officers are used..
Federation ship stats:
FF: Speed: 70   Turn rate 2.0 Sheild class 1
DD: Speed 60  Turn rate 1.8  Shield class: 2
CL:  Speed 55 Turn rate 1.7 Shield class 3
CA: Speed 50 Turn rate 1.5 Sheild class 5
BCH: Speed 45 Turn rate 1.3 Sheild class 7
DN: Speed 40 Turn rate 1.0 Sheild class 10
Klingon ship stats:
FF: Speed 75 TR: 2.2 Shield 1
DD:Speed 65 TR:2.0 Shield:2  etc...
Romulan ship stats:
BCH: Speed 40 Turn rate: 1.2 Shield: 7
DN: Speed 35 Turn rate: .9  Sheild:10 etc..

The best way to achieve this is to adjust shield mass first, then tinker with thrusters and impulse power second.

Offline GarrethMacLeod

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Alternate B Website
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 11:44:33 pm »
where are those numbers from and what are they based on?
Alternate B Chief Map Drone and General Whipping Boy
http://www.AlternateB.org