Topic: Just an Idea : Cross between Modelers and Scripters.  (Read 2818 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Just an Idea : Cross between Modelers and Scripters.
« on: February 10, 2005, 08:38:13 pm »
I've recently been re-reading some books that dealt with a Huge Starship war, that spanned a large area of space. What I was thinking of, is Given the Wrekage from all sides in the ST Novels ( A Time To Be Born/Die) , How could this be used to add something to the game.

I believe that TracyG did some experiminting with moving asteroids ( Sorry If I named the Wrong person) , and I know alot of you are just Great Modelers.

What I'm Proposing is a few Models and Scripts that deal with Missions in an Area that is Littered with Wrecked hulls, Torn Starships Pieces, and Anomilies. I believe In the book It was refered to as the Boneyard.

What I Envision is Having to enter the area to Tractor a shuttle back out, yet the Environment fights against you, there could also be another opponent that wants the sshuttle for It's Tech/ Military plans.

What I'm thinking is to use asteroids as Ship parts, IE. Switch the models, But I think It would be better to have new custom models done for this.

Mind you, I don't know if the scripters would be up to doing this, any more then I know the Modelers would be up to this.

Another Possible Idea would be , It would take Much smaller ships to accomplish the Missions in such an area. A good use for the DD 's and Less.

What do you all think, and please elaborate. It's just an idea I'm tossing out there.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
Re: Just an Idea : Cross between Modelers and Scripters.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 12:12:36 am »
Ok, this is just "to the best of my knowledge", and I'm not the most knowledgable, but here goes...

You could swap out the asteroid models with derelict models to make your boneyard and have the script take place in an asteroid field, but that would affect all asteroids that appear in every script/map.

You could add some derelicts to the shiplist, but this would of course require a custom shiplist and then they wouldn't act as terrain. They'd just be there for visual effect. I'm assuming that you'd want them to be terrain and get in your way like asteroids do.

One way would be to add an executable to the script that would swap out the standard asteroid models for the derelict ship models before the script runs and then swap them back at the end. Another option would be to add the derelicts as additional map objects, but I don't know if either of these are possible. Sounds like a cool idea for a script though.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 12:58:36 am »
Thanks Rod, I appreciate that Input.

Is It possible to add an Executable to the Script like that?  also, what was the resualt's on Making asteroids Moveable?

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 12:40:51 pm »
There is a moving asteroid on the stock shiplist available for scripting... trick is you'd only have one model for it... could just make it a general bit of debris that looks different from different angles for the model and modify its warp and armour as necessary ...  how they'll behaves depends on how the script handles the N-AST...

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 03:16:58 pm »
Thanks for that info also Bonk.

Stephen