Topic: Einstein@Home project  (Read 840 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Einstein@Home project
« on: February 19, 2005, 04:26:27 pm »
Link to site

Einstein@home is a program that uses your computer's idle time to search for spinning neutron stars (also called pulsars) using data from the LIGO and GEO gravitational wave detectors. Einstein@home is a World Year of Physics 2005 project supported by the American Physical Society (APS) and by a number of international organizations.

After several months of testing, we are now 'throwing open the doors' for general participation. If you would like to take part, please use the Create account link to create an account, and follow the instructions. Einstein@home is available for Windows, Linux and MacOS X computers.

This first production run of Einstein@home carries out a search for pulsars over the entire sky, using the most sensitive 600 hours of data from LIGO's third science run, S3.

Bruce Allen, Professor of Physics, U. of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
Einstein@home Leader for the LIGO Scientific Collaboration

Feb 19, 2005
Einstein@Home was officially launched this morning at the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) meeting in Washington, DC, USA.

Link to rules and policy

Uses BOINC
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Capt. Mike

• Live from Granpa's Grotto
  • Captain
Re: Einstein@Home project
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 09:32:22 am »
Giving it a shot..we'll see what happens

Mike
Summum ius summa iniuria.

The more law, the less justice.

Cicero, De Officiis, I, 33

"It doesn't, and you can't, I won't, and it don't
it hasn't, it isn't, it even ain't, and it shouldn't
it couldn't"
FZ, 1974

My chops were not as fast...[but] I just leaned more on what was in my mind than what was in my chops.  I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will probably whip the guy with twenty notes.
 --Les Paul