Topic: computer questions  (Read 6346 times)

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
Re: computer questions
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2005, 10:48:44 am »
Pesty, my computer was originally the only one connected to the Internet in my house until recently.  As such, I already had a software  (Norton Personal) firewall installed on it.  Then, when I wanted to connect a second computer, I put both on a router.  The second system doesn't even have a software firewall and has been fine except the kids downloaded stupid stuff (like WildTangent, which classifies as malware in my eyes; it interfered with the operation of other programs and running of the OS and was hard as heck to finally clean out completely [HijackThis did a good job]); otherwise, there'd have been no incursions.

So, given this experience and what you just posted above, would it be wise or okay for me to completely uninstall my Norton Personal ( software) Firewall?

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2005, 06:47:15 pm »
Pesty, my computer was originally the only one connected to the Internet in my house until recently.  As such, I already had a software  (Norton Personal) firewall installed on it.  Then, when I wanted to connect a second computer, I put both on a router.  The second system doesn't even have a software firewall and has been fine except the kids downloaded stupid stuff (like WildTangent, which classifies as malware in my eyes; it interfered with the operation of other programs and running of the OS and was hard as heck to finally clean out completely [HijackThis did a good job]); otherwise, there'd have been no incursions.

So, given this experience and what you just posted above, would it be wise or okay for me to completely uninstall my Norton Personal ( software) Firewall?

Depends on your hardware router, I've seen some hardware firewalls that are not worth the match to blow them away.  I would get a router that has SPI and NAT at the bare minimum.  Given that if you have a good hardware firewall, then yes you should be able to uninstall Norton firewall.  As you have seen Ed, even a software firewall cannot protect your computer from your kids.   ;D

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2005, 07:50:39 pm »
Firewalls are only good for keeping hackers out and /or programs trying to use unauthorized ports to access or send information / data / programs.

However, a Firewall will not stop Malware, spyware, trojans, or hijackers from getting on your system.. That is what a Good Anti-Virus with Spyware detection does..

Norton does not have a good Spyware detection method, nor is the Spyware definitions kept up to date in Nortos.. I would suggest Panda Internet Securities (without firewall engaged if you have a router configured correctly) to monitor your system for intrusions for Javascripts that try to DL or install spyware on your system. There are other programs out there.. Panda works well for me, however you may find a different one that you would like.. but as a general community statement... many here would consider Norton in itself a Virus.

"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2005, 08:53:57 pm »
 :o

Norton a virus?

I love my Norton!

Though I rely on other methods to try to guarantee my machines are clear of spyware/adaware and other such items, though Norton I think probably does a good job catching the trojans and viruses.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2005, 04:18:46 pm »
Gentlemen, it is the Netgear WTG 624 v.2 router.

I believe it was billed also as a firewall router.  I could be wrong.  I'll have to check if it has spi or nat.

I DO SO want to uninstall Norton AV, etc., if could get away with it; I really think it is responsible for heating my CPU up a few more degrees than otherwise.