Topic: Star Trek Online....  (Read 8877 times)

Offline Victoria

• Lt. Junior Grade
Star Trek Online....
« on: March 22, 2005, 10:43:19 pm »
Finally....  A Star Trek MMORPG is in the works. I can't believe people still play SFC, but I hope some of you people can put your C7's in the hanger and come to the MMORPG world. As a former SW Galaxies player ( and long time SFC player ) this is what I have been waiting for....

It's not 1998 anymore people..  :)

I loved SFC too but this game died the day Mplayer shut down. Again, to plug shamelessly, wouldn't you all get excited about having crazy amounts of fleets and thousands of people to play with as opposed to the hundred or so left here ?

:)

(edited by FA_Frey_XC)

If you can't at least contact admins before coming into our house and "shamelessly plugging" anything, you'll get plugged.

Regards,
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 08:07:35 am by FA_Frey_XC »

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
Re: Star Trek Online....
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 11:06:25 pm »
Finally.... A Star Trek MMORPG is in the works. I can't believe people still play SFC, but I hope some of you people can put your C7's in the hanger and come to the MMORPG world. As a former SW Galaxies player ( and long time SFC player ) this is what I have been waiting for....

It's not 1998 anymore people.. :)

I loved SFC too but this game died the day Mplayer shut down. Again, to plug shamelessly, wouldn't you all get excited about having crazy amounts of fleets and thousands of people to play with as opposed to the hundred or so left here ?

:)
Read all about it...
http://www.mmorpg.com/sto_interview.cfm

Apparantly you have not been on Gamespy Arcade (bought out and took over for M-Player, that is if you haven't tried to keep up) to play SFC nor have you been on the Dynaverse.. OP is still getting game development for the servers..

Besides, SFC is free.. why pay to play a game.. If I pay $50 for the game in the store, then the online part should be free..

If I get the game free, I should only have to pay a 1 time fee to cover me for life or until the servers are shut down..

It is stupid to rent a MMORPG monthly when the game could have been designed with a single player or set up with a free server...

I tried StarWars Galaxies 1 time.. went through the 1 month free trial (gave them a bogus CC # so they wouldn't charge after the first month).. but when I noticed the game had no Single Player mode.. I took it back and traded it in for SFC 3 and Bridge Commander, which has Single Player and Multi Player for free...

Only people who don't know better waste money monthly on the same game just to play after paying $50 to buy the disks...

Here is an example...

You buy the disks ........ $50

You pay for 1 month at $12.50 a month.

you play the game for 1 year...

Now you have spent $200 on 1 game and it lasts only as long as you are stupid enough to keep paying on that 1 game (in this case 12 months), when you could have bought 4 games and be able to play them for the next 50 years for free...

Yep.. Pay to Play makes a lot of sence to me... NOT !!!

"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Vic

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 12:37:53 am »
A lot of people know the feelings i have about this MMORPG.

The addage i've head of "build it and they will come" just wont cut it.  Too many people have criticisms for the star trek series of games, most people wont even look at a trek game simply cause it has a stigma attached to it which is one of the reasons classic games like SFC series, Armada, EF and the likes never sold the amount of copies that games like Quake, Doom, Sims (dont laugh now...), Battlefield and the likes have sold.  Those games started at some point, and whebn the original was released they made a fortune.  It's a sad state of affairs when a game that is a decade old still hold the record for the amount of copies sold in the trek series of games...and that game is Star Trek: 25th Anniversary...an old DOS game (which you can win on the latest STGD competition...*cough*).  The question of support also comes up.  There was another fully online game, anyone remember it?  The game was called ConQuest Online and Activision literally pulled support and servers for the game under the feet of the people who payed for the expansion sets and accounts, and that game was released when trek gaming was at a high point.  Ok, so it might not have been an MMOPRG but it didnt bode well for all the gamers who played that game, they wont return, thats for sure.

I agree with pestalence (hears gasps of shock from folks) what people should be focusing on right now is the old games, its the games like Orion Pirates, SFC 3, Armada 1 & 2 and the Elite Force series.  Those games hold the be all and end all of all thats left of the once massive community i became a part of more than a decade ago and i have seen that old community slowly be forgotten about infavour of "making a quick buck" by releaseing an MMORPG.  Other big sites have given a lot of time to the MMORPG, i was going to release a large section on my site dedicated to it, but i have decided against it, whats the point anyway?  The game aint out for 24 months and theres people forming gaming fleets around it already.  Not only that but MMORPG stands for Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game, have ya seen one of the recent interviews?  Perpetual have said the game wont have any role playing servers on launch and may have one added at a later date.  I can see it now, a ship is busy roleplaying in the world of trek, and another ship fires on them calling them stupid noobs for roleplaying.  Its a disaster waiting to happen, the game will turn into an FPS in space.

An mmorpg will only last as long as there is a big enough player base for Perpetual and Paramount to make a profit...is there REALLY enough people around who will continue to pay for play when there is other MMORPG's out there which are well established?  The franchise cant even manage to keep a new series on the air...thats gotta say something.  Orion Pirates and Starfleet Command 3 have still got a lot of clout left in it, the lobbies are relatively busy and the modding scene is still going strong.  Dynaverse campaigns for both the games are still going strong as well.  If people start turning there backs on the older games and wait for 2 years for this new MMORPG the original community will close it's doors, we will lose modders, fleets and a lot of sites.

...and when (not if) this new mmorpg fails where will people turn to?  Lets face it people, in 2 years time can we honestly say that OP and the entire SFC community will still be around?    I'll tell ya this much, STGD might be a site which is known for its outspoken warring nature, but the site is still serving the older community (even games like Birth of the Federation) for a purpose.  We need these older games, if not for the players, then for something for the community to keep busy with for the next 2 years.

Victoria, even just for a week or so, borrow a copy of Orion Pirates, someone in here might help ya out with that (youll NEVER get a cheap copy of SFC 3...Activision seen to that) and try out OP in GameSpy Arcade or one of the DII/III campaigns, trust me, it will convert ya...it did with me, even though i suck at OP now cause i aint played it for some time.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 12:51:13 am »
Vic, Try my OP Enhancement pack v3.0 for Orion Pirates...

It is available in the Dynaverse II forum in the Enhancements sub forum.. 141 MB to get your game current with all servers with exception of a customised shiplist.txt, frtlist.txt, model.siz and the customized NW scripts configurations.. and/or maybe models specific to a server...

I have a v3.1 going up in a couple of days, but this onle does a fix for the ShipEdit install and entries in the sfc.ini file for the extra options like hiding BPV and Engine Doubling for Orions..

Hope that this helps...

Also I about fell over when you agreed with me.. totally unexpected. :o :)
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Vic

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 12:54:32 am »
I'm messing around with Chris Jones UAW and firesouls OP+4 just now.

Basically im way over my head which is sad really cause i used to play OP a lot back in the old days...god, i sound like an old man now.  I aint gonna get into the DII side until i can manage to survive at least a few games in Gamespy arcade.

I'll download the enhancement and give it a spin later today though :)

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 01:01:22 am »
the Enhancement Package also adds quite a bit for single player and GSA as well... I am going to be uploading a Enhancement Package compatable version of UAW here in the next couple of days... that way, when using OP Enhancement, you can use the Mod Chooser and just swap game modes from UAW to OP + to Stock and still have 2 empty slots for different servers...

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Vic

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 01:05:17 am »
Ahh, thats sounds good, chooseability between the other mods being played on GSA

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 02:03:50 am »
  Victoia if you want to try an MMORPG buy GuildWars in April 28th and it is free to play online no monthly fees.I have done 2 beta test and the game is good don't get me wrong I will always like and play the SFC series but like Vic. said I need practice to play PVP.Here have a look at the GuildWasr board or the GuildHall.Don't forget Victoria it is April 28th,05

http://www.guild-hall.net/index.php

Like Vic said get a copy of OP and start practicing. btw there are those that are playing World of Warcraft and Everquest 2 and they are Pay 2 Play.

Offline Victoria

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 08:25:53 am »

Apparantly you have not been on Gamespy Arcade (bought out and took over for M-Player, that is if you haven't tried to keep up) to play SFC nor have you been on the Dynaverse.. OP is still getting game development for the servers..

Besides, SFC is free.. why pay to play a game.. If I pay $50 for the game in the store, then the online part should be free..

If I get the game free, I should only have to pay a 1 time fee to cover me for life or until the servers are shut down..

It is stupid to rent a MMORPG monthly when the game could have been designed with a single player or set up with a free server...

I tried StarWars Galaxies 1 time.. went through the 1 month free trial (gave them a bogus CC # so they wouldn't charge after the first month).. but when I noticed the game had no Single Player mode.. I took it back and traded it in for SFC 3 and Bridge Commander, which has Single Player and Multi Player for free...

Only people who don't know better waste money monthly on the same game just to play after paying $50 to buy the disks...

Here is an example...

Now you have spent $200 on 1 game and it lasts only as long as you are stupid enough to keep paying on that 1 game (in this case 12 months), when you could have bought 4 games and be able to play them for the next 50 years for free...

Yes I know all about Gamespy. And ummmm.. yeah you have to pay for that too. Oh and the problem with Gamespy is that about 10 people from SFC came over when Mplayer closed. Obviously, more than 10, but you see the point I am trying to make. 80 % of this games population went bye bye.

Now, as for your feelings towards online games of a pay by month nature, if you can't afford it that's one thing, but I happen to feel that a measly 12 bucks a month to play a game, that quite frankly, has more content and richness than any other type of game you can buy, is worth it. I can't tell you how many times I paid 50 bucks for a game that was worth about 3 dollars. Paying for Gamespy ?? It is your right to think pay to play is stupid, but paying for a piece of crap like Gamespy that only lets you get in a 'room' to play a game.... Ummm.. yeah... stupid...  Gamespy is the most god awful platform ever made, and ASE is free. But these are all opinions, and we are all entitled to our own.

If you don't like MMORPG's, then you don't have to respond to this post. I was just hoping that some real ST fans would be interested in the game in the works. I care not about your economic philosophies about MMORPG's. I just wanted to let some ST fans know about the game. If you don't like MMORPG's, or If you don't want to spend money, then just hit your back button.

Offline Victoria

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 08:35:43 am »
  Victoia if you want to try an MMORPG buy GuildWars in April 28th and it is free to play online no monthly fees.I have done 2 beta test and the game is good don't get me wrong I will always like and play the SFC series but like Vic. said I need practice to play PVP.Here have a look at the GuildWasr board or the GuildHall.Don't forget Victoria it is April 28th,05

http://www.guild-hall.net/index.php

Like Vic said get a copy of OP and start practicing. btw there are those that are playing World of Warcraft and Everquest 2 and they are Pay 2 Play.

I actually participated in the beta testing of Guild Wars also. Actually, a couple of guys from my old SFC fleet were in Guild Wars with me. It was fun, but there's lots of other games I am very interested in coming out, so I'm pacing myself.

Offline Victoria

• Lt. Junior Grade
And to respond to you Vic...
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 08:48:13 am »
Listen, I'm sorry. I really didn't mean to start a big thing about MMORPG's. I happen to agree with some of your points, but I disagree with the rest of them. I've spent the last 3 years playing MMORPG's and they are the most fascinating, addicting, fun and rewarding gaming experiences I have ever had. There will always be plenty of people to play with, and I have lots of new gaming friends as well. It's been an awesome experience for me, and I am totally hooked. But I didn't mean to start a debate of the for or against MMORPG's. All I'm gonna say is that if you don't like them, then don't play them.

As for SFC, my days here are definitly over. I did breifly reinstall the game and try to play, but my skills are all gone. Timing is all gone, and I realized I have no desire to learn again. But it was hella fun when I was playing. :)

Offline Victoria

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 02:25:44 pm »
Well.. I feel pretty stupid... Didn't bother to look around and see there was a whole section in the off topic forum about STO. I sincerely apologize to all of you for this lack of professionalism on my part, and sorry to the mods for posting in the wrong forum.

Offline Strafer

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 02:51:07 pm »
well, road to hell and all that... :)
We keep with OP and/or 3 cuz we love it. Simple as that.
--
Code: [Select]
Lineage II
Server                           Sieghardt                    deviantrealms.com (dead)
Chars       Strafer          L24 Rogue                  L64 Hawkeye
                StrayFar       L64 Tyrant                  L51 Tyrant
                StrawFur      L37 Scavenger            L49 Bounty Hunter
                StraightFour L62 Shillen Elder         L53 Shillen Elder

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 04:35:45 pm »

Here is an example...

Yes I know all about Gamespy. And ummmm.. yeah you have to pay for that too. Oh and the problem with Gamespy is that about 10 people from SFC came over when Mplayer closed. Obviously, more than 10, but you see the point I am trying to make. 80 % of this games population went bye bye.

Now, as for your feelings towards online games of a pay by month nature, if you can't afford it that's one thing, but I happen to feel that a measly 12 bucks a month to play a game, that quite frankly, has more content and richness than any other type of game you can buy, is worth it. I can't tell you how many times I paid 50 bucks for a game that was worth about 3 dollars. Paying for Gamespy ?? It is your right to think pay to play is stupid, but paying for a piece of crap like Gamespy that only lets you get in a 'room' to play a game.... Ummm.. yeah... stupid... Gamespy is the most god awful platform ever made, and ASE is free. But these are all opinions, and we are all entitled to our own.

If you don't like MMORPG's, then you don't have to respond to this post. I was just hoping that some real ST fans would be interested in the game in the works. I care not about your economic philosophies about MMORPG's. I just wanted to let some ST fans know about the game. If you don't like MMORPG's, or If you don't want to spend money, then just hit your back button.

Actually, Gamespy Arcade is FREE.. If you want to get rid of the advertisement pages that appear when changing game rooms (not player rooms, but like from SFC OP to NWN).. then that is what the pay for feature does.. it gets rid of the Ads..

Also if you happen to have migrated from M-Player, you can contact the Gamespy Arcade Administrators or the Billing department and pay a 1 time fee of $20 for lifetime registration instead of the month to month payments...

But an Unregistered account can play games as much as a registered account.. as such it is FREE.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 05:08:44 pm by Pestalence »

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Jaz

• Ensign
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2005, 08:57:21 am »
A lot of people know the feelings i have about this MMORPG.

The addage i've head of "build it and they will come" just wont cut it.  Too many people have criticisms for the star trek series of games, most people wont even look at a trek game simply cause it has a stigma attached to it which is one of the reasons classic games like SFC series, Armada, EF and the likes never sold the amount of copies that games like Quake, Doom, Sims (dont laugh now...), Battlefield and the likes have sold.  Those games started at some point, and whebn the original was released they made a fortune.  It's a sad state of affairs when a game that is a decade old still hold the record for the amount of copies sold in the trek series of games...and that game is Star Trek: 25th Anniversary...an old DOS game (which you can win on the latest STGD competition...*cough*).  The question of support also comes up.  There was another fully online game, anyone remember it?  The game was called ConQuest Online and Activision literally pulled support and servers for the game under the feet of the people who payed for the expansion sets and accounts, and that game was released when trek gaming was at a high point.  Ok, so it might not have been an MMOPRG but it didnt bode well for all the gamers who played that game, they wont return, thats for sure.

I agree with pestalence (hears gasps of shock from folks) what people should be focusing on right now is the old games, its the games like Orion Pirates, SFC 3, Armada 1 & 2 and the Elite Force series.  Those games hold the be all and end all of all thats left of the once massive community i became a part of more than a decade ago and i have seen that old community slowly be forgotten about infavour of "making a quick buck" by releaseing an MMORPG.  Other big sites have given a lot of time to the MMORPG, i was going to release a large section on my site dedicated to it, but i have decided against it, whats the point anyway?  The game aint out for 24 months and theres people forming gaming fleets around it already.  Not only that but MMORPG stands for Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game, have ya seen one of the recent interviews?  Perpetual have said the game wont have any role playing servers on launch and may have one added at a later date.  I can see it now, a ship is busy roleplaying in the world of trek, and another ship fires on them calling them stupid noobs for roleplaying.  Its a disaster waiting to happen, the game will turn into an FPS in space.

An mmorpg will only last as long as there is a big enough player base for Perpetual and Paramount to make a profit...is there REALLY enough people around who will continue to pay for play when there is other MMORPG's out there which are well established?  The franchise cant even manage to keep a new series on the air...thats gotta say something.  Orion Pirates and Starfleet Command 3 have still got a lot of clout left in it, the lobbies are relatively busy and the modding scene is still going strong.  Dynaverse campaigns for both the games are still going strong as well.  If people start turning there backs on the older games and wait for 2 years for this new MMORPG the original community will close it's doors, we will lose modders, fleets and a lot of sites.

...and when (not if) this new mmorpg fails where will people turn to?  Lets face it people, in 2 years time can we honestly say that OP and the entire SFC community will still be around?    I'll tell ya this much, STGD might be a site which is known for its outspoken warring nature, but the site is still serving the older community (even games like Birth of the Federation) for a purpose.  We need these older games, if not for the players, then for something for the community to keep busy with for the next 2 years.

Victoria, even just for a week or so, borrow a copy of Orion Pirates, someone in here might help ya out with that (youll NEVER get a cheap copy of SFC 3...Activision seen to that) and try out OP in GameSpy Arcade or one of the DII/III campaigns, trust me, it will convert ya...it did with me, even though i suck at OP now cause i aint played it for some time.

Trekpluse serve informations for plenty of old games vic..shows how much you really know about the community eh? Old games are old games they live on, simply put thats like living in the past, some sites don't bother to support the past anymore due to lack of interest in comparison with newer games like STO?

Roleplaying servers are no solution to any game, people still dont roleplay on roleplaying server fully... There will always be people who say n00b to a roleplay ships... But you know whats WORSE vic? You simply havnt notice that you cant fire on another person's ship in game outside the holodeck? I guess you missed that point..I advise you stay uptodate on STO news @ online.stgu.com

On STO...the game is an MMOG...NOT AN MMORPG...Take note at the first EVER press release:

PERPETUAL ENTERTAINMENT TO DEVELOP AND PUBLISH STAR TREKŪ MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE GAME

AS for subscription fees, play guildwars...There are plenty of people out there willing to pay and play for a game.. WoW has 1.2 million subscribers which says alot considering STO is still 2 years away and they are expanding quickly.

Fancy unbanning me and hearing the truth?

Vic

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2005, 12:07:45 pm »
I was wondering when someone from that other site would come in here and drag the old arguements into this place.

Ya know something Jaz?  Usually i would by now be screaming and shouting at you in text, but now...i just feel sorry for ya.  You people really belevie that this new MMORPG will be the saviour of Star Trek gaming when more and more of the old time gamers of this genre who were playing trek games LONG BEFORE you and most of the STGU staff had even bought a trek game dont want to play it.

Beleive me, ST:O may be the "in game" for about 4 months tops, but within 1 year more than 3/4ths of the players will leave and all support will soon be pulled after that cause the game will be an unmitigated disaster.  Paramount is only making this game to suck money from the wandering minions who think that paying at the very least $200 a year to play a game online with no single player is a good thing.  They dont even have enough staff to make the game by themselves so they have to go to "thrid party" people to make it, yeah, thats one way to cut corners.

Games which may be old, like Orion Pirates have a community behind them which predates most of the sites out there, but not my site.  I've seen the changing face of this genre from the days of Starfleet Academy and Birth of the Federation right up till now and i can tell you this much, ST:O is a game being released way too soon.  There has been no decent Single/Multiplay games released since Bridge Commander and Elite Force.  Even though SFC 3 and EF 2 do have it's good points the sales were so low it made Activision realise they are on a downward slope.  It's whats left of the old community like this one and the one at STGD and to an extent our former hosts at sgnonline.com who have to be convinced that the MMORPG will be a good thing, and right now the arguement for the mmorpg is being met with quiet crtitcism.  WHy do you think Jaz that Paramount wanted someone like me on the STAB?  I'm the Gul Dukat of trek gaming jaz, everyone and there dog haes my site but people still listen to what the STGD says and Lang knows that without the support of the fleets who do still visit the STGD (but not as much as they used to) he wont have a firm player base in the beginning of the game.  Alot of the older fleets like RS have now COMPLETELY left trek gaming...go check there site, i didnt beleive it at first...and whos fault is that?  Harry Lang's for not listening to a single word i said to him and the other folks in STAB last year.

As i said on the front page of the STGD just yesterday, the big sites the same size of the STGD have lost interest in keeping the torch burning for the folks in Armada, Elite Force and games as old as that.  The SFC Community is well served by this place.  It's my job to make sure the other older games are not forgotten about, while i'm doing that i'll let people like you Jaz worry about a game that aint gonna be released for two years.  Then in 3 years time when the mmorpg is panned by the critics and masses of people leave i will make the old "I Told You So" post on the front page of the STGD in 120 point Verdana text that i always do.  I seem to make a lot of those posts on the front of the site.

People should not be directing so many recources into this one single new game while forgetting about the past history of this genre, and that's what's happening right now in some sites.  You can criticise the STGD all ya want Jaz, it's here for the long haul this time.  Someone has to keep other sites on there toes.

Offline Harry

• Paramount Pictures
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2005, 12:57:53 pm »
I was alerted to this discussion so thought I'd put in my $.02.  Not looking to pick a fight with anyone but to clarify a few points:

They dont even have enough staff to make the game by themselves so they have to go to "thrid party" people to make it, yeah, thats one way to cut corners.

Paramount never has, does not now, and probably never will make a game by ourselves.  We also do not fund game development.  Never have.  I've explained countless times that we are a licensor and cannot publish or create games on our own (which is one reason there is a lack of new games right now).  That's not how we're setup although I wish we were.  Activision, Interplay, SSI, and others all made the games on their own, with their own money. 

We have been listening to many people's complaints and frustrations with lack of new games.  I've also said on many forums for awhile that because we are not a publisher we can't just make a game.  I've also said we are not deliberately holding back on licensing new titles beyond the MMOG (it is technically not a MMORGP as pointed out by Jaz).  I gave an update on our progress almost two months ago and that's still the case.  Nothing I can talk about right now but we're working on it.  There's nothing I can do to focus on the old games since we didn't publish them and therefore, cannot support them.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2005, 01:00:17 pm »
There is something you may not know Jaz and that is it take 5 years to to put together a good MMORPG and Paramount are saying hey wait we will give it to in two years hence(Dr. McCoy in Genisis).When Guild Wars was first being developed they started writng the code back in 2003 that long ago yes 3 years ago and WoW and Everquest 2maybe further back.The talented staff from those two games came together to form Arenanet and NCsoft the develper and publishers of GuildWars so you see how great Guild Wars is going to be and what does Perpetual have no one all that specail as WT check them out and didn't think much of them and he was all hyped up about STonline.What is he playing now WoW.
  There was a chance if Viacom/Paramount wanted a good to buy a good a game puplisher and developer they could have talked and bought Interplay and Taldren yes those fine people who brought you SFC searies and those two fine companies would still be around.Harry can still make this happen as he talkes to Erik once a month and find the owner of Interplay and make an offer to purchase  those companies.Taldren could make a mmorpg better than those at Perpetual as they know the Trek gaming community and know what they want.If they did this Taldren would probably make the game free for playing online if they can keep the access servers going for Dyna 2 and even GSA keeping their servers going for free. What is the difference just a bunch of greedy you know whoes?If this game is released in 2 years expect some bugs thse people have never made an mmo.It is to bad it isn't Arenanet who was making this game.Taldren to would have said that there need to be more balance between the Eras as this game takes place after Nemisis and not everyone enjoys that era no TOS ships or TMP ships.

I probably won't be investing in anymore Star Trek games as I am happy and content with my Starfleet Command games made by Taldren as I was impressed when I first bought them.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 07:28:14 pm by Age »

Offline Harry

• Paramount Pictures
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2005, 01:06:58 pm »
Paramount isn't going to just go out and buy Taldren or Interplay (Interplay is still owned by Titus).  It's just not that simple.  There have been rumors of Viacom buying a publisher, but to my knowledge, that's just rumors.  I'm in no position to influence the purchase of any publisher or developer.

Perpetual had the underlying technology already developed for the past two years.  What they are working on  now is middleware for the graphics and AI.  Add that to the fact that they started on this earlier last year, and a release date of 2007 and you have 2 years of tech development plus 3 years for the rest of the game and that's 5 years.

Offline Jaz

• Ensign
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2005, 01:27:30 pm »
  There is something you may not know Jaz and that is it take 5 years to to put together a good MMORPG and Paramount are saying hey wait we will give it to in two years hence(Dr. McCoy in Genisis).When Guild Wars was first being developed they started writng the code back in 2003 that long ago yes 3 years ago and WoW and Everquest 2maye further back.The talented staff from those two game came together to forum Arenanet and NCsoft the develper and puplishers of GuildWars so you see how great Guild Wars is going to be and what does Perpetual have no one all that specail as WT check them out and didn't think much of them and he was all hyped about STonline.
  There was a chance if Viacom/Paramount wanted a good to buy a good a game puplisher and developer thet could have talked and bought Interplay and Taldren yes those fine people who brought you SFC searies and those two fine companies would still be around.Harry can still make this happen as he talkes to Erik once a month and find the owner of Interplay and make an offer to purchase  those companies.Taldren could make a mmorpg better than those at Perpetual as they know the Trek gaming community and know what they want.If they did this Taldren would probably make the game free for playing online if they can keep the access servers going for Dyna 2 and even GSA keeping their servers going for free. What is the difference just a bunch of greedy you know whoes?If this game is released in 2 years expect some bugs thse people have never made an mmo.It is to bad it isn't Arenanet who was making this game.Taldren to would have said that there need to be more balance between the Eras as this game takes place after Nemisis and not everyone enjoys that era no TOS ships or TMP ships.

I agree a longer time for development is required, which is one of the reason why Perpetual has shortcutted on pvp & factions. Gods and Heroes: Rome Rising has been in development for 18 months (Perpetuals other game)... This will be an ample opportunity to test if Perpetual's quick development actually IS a drawback.. We will see ofcourse.

Perpetual arn't special...true..neither is SOE...or NCsoft, no complaints from me at this time. Maddoc was nothing special either....but theyre doing EE2..I played the demo of that..I loved it.

We also have to recognise that the engine is already there..(not the graphics engine). Which saves time from building from scratch. Yes Perpetual have said they will hire 3rd party artists... In my book its probably cheaper and more effecient than having your own. In 2 months time, according to the Warcry preview on Gods and Hero's: Rome Rising it will have dynamic shadows and lighting, then we can compare perpetual talent for game making. I STRONGLY urge you to Read This...

Taldren couldnt make a bugless game...sorry to say it folks especially on these boards but SFCIII was great, but as I played the MP there were far, far too many bugs and problems for it to be fun..I gave up.

Interplay has huge debts I believe...a company that cant hit profits doesnt deserve to exist in my opinion.

Vic I fail to see why you are sorry for me? If STO gets cancelled...too bad, if it sucks too bad. Atleast I can hope for a decent game... while you can wallow in you wars and dreams about the Golden age which is over. There might be golden age again if STO is a success... Atleast i'm prepared for both.  If STO is a success it will outllive any Star Trek game to date, it will be the biggest ever Star Trek game to date, it will have the biggest ever online following. I dont intent on playing Armada and Elite Force all my life...

Am I sucker? Could be...We only get an ST MMO with these kinds of highlevel investments. Ive given every Star Trek game since Armada the benifit of the doubt...some have been fun, others not. But I can't really say I hate any of them..Its Star Trek and thats all that matters to me to buy them. Only difference is, I wont play them if they arnt good enough.

No point complaining about poor quality Star Trek games now..Im sure Harry has played them and his boss(es)... Im guessing they dont want to play bad games either..Who would?